Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2010-06-14, 20:31
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Details of the microsoft conference ;

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2010/6/14-34

I like how not-Natal recognise's you by waving, thats kinda neat.
Old 2010-06-14, 20:32
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Trailer for Super Scribblenaugts - http://uk.ds.ign.com/dor/objects/458...ler_61410.html

Yes, I think this is just as advanced as fancy controllers and other shiny things :P
Old 2010-06-14, 23:02
Classic

So...umm...not too much interesting from Microsoft. Kinda disappointing, expected more then just Wii-too style games.
Not even headtracking? Honestly?

Their voice tech recognition didnt seem bad though aside from that I guess its the MGS game (http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6265416...tories;story;3) and the new Halo (http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6265438...es%3Btitle%3B1) being their big things.
Old 2010-06-15, 01:57
Magic Ball Master

MGS: Rising is a multiplat anyways, it's just a big deal for MS because Kojima agreed to go multiplat for this title. The problem is that a.) it's not really an MGS game and b.) Kojima isn't really involved (which can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint).

I'm not really interested in an MGS-themed hack-and-slash. If I wanted that, I'd play God of War.
Old 2010-06-15, 02:05
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Not for FPS games, or any game requreing skilled aiming.

As I've said a bazillion times. Its exact the same way a mouse is better.
I haven't found that to be the case. Playing games like The Godfather - which was actually better on the Wii than it's other multiplatform incarnations - still was tedious to aim with. Even controlling Yoshi's tongue in SMG2 is annoying as hell. I don't know, unless something is wrong with my sensor bar...

Quote:
In front of a window? or something reflective?
The sensor itself is completely accurate in this regard. It has a 1024x1024 resolution output far beyond the pixal precision of the Wii.
I can only guess for you its picking up some stray infer red. Try turning down the sensitivity?
I actually moved it twice with no change. Originally it had been in my TV console (open) since launch. But I don't play my Wii that much so I didn't really care. Since I picked up SMG2 though, it's really annoying to have to be sitting near the center of the room to get it to pick up the pointer. I tried recalibrating and adjusting the sensitivity settings...everything seemed fine. When I move the Wiimote hand pointer on the main Wii screen, it likes to jump back and forth, not far, but it is jittery and imprecise. I thought maybe it didn't like being under the TV, so I placed it on top of the TV, but it still has the same sort of problems. It's across all of my Wiimotes as well, not just my primary one.

Quote:
They arnt!
They are just worse for certain things. They are still best when your pulling of a simple digital action. (like jumping, or spinning mario). Analogue sticks meanwhile are still by far the best invention for character motion. No question motion controll (of any sort) is worse for those two tasks.

For aiming, or any x/y selection style input though, Id say a pointer is better. (or mouse, or stylus etc)

And for anything where a character is holding something (sword, wheel, tennis bat) motion control is better.

So the question to me is not that motion controlls are better per say, its that its best to have the option built into the controll because its better for some things.

Honestly, I just dont see the two as multauly exclusive. You can have both in the same (split) controller. I mean would the wiimote have not functioned if it had a second analogue stick? Thats more or less what the MOVE is.

I think we can have the best of both worlds in theory. Give us all the features of a traditional controller and a pointer and a sword-wielding device. ^_^
Ideally, I'd like to think we'd have both control schemes, but I wonder how many devs will bother to put the time in to program two separate control types. I don't see motion controls as necessary for the swordfighting and such because I think if the animations are good, it can be superior to what you're getting out of 1:1 motion. I'd rather push a pressure-sensitive button than throw a "ball" in a game (at this point, at least). I guess we'll see where the technology goes. I simply find motion controls to be quite gimmicky more often than not, and definitely prefer using a traditional controller even for FPS.
Old 2010-06-15, 03:10
Classic

Blah, I was wrong about Move.
Looking at the controllers most closely, I see its just a Wiimote/Nunchuck clone.
Why not have a second analogue
If theres one thing missing from the Wiimote, thats it. At the very least its needed for camera movement.

Quote:
I don't see motion controls as necessary for the swordfighting and such because I think if the animations are good, it can be superior to what you're getting out of 1:1 motion.
But its utterly different gameplay.
Pressing a button combination to "playback" a preset sword animation is not the same at all as actualy sword fighting yourself with your own movements.

Doesn't matter what looks better; one is you doing it, the other is you triggering what an animator has already done.
One has skills coming from the timing of the attack your triggering, the other has the skills actually being in the attack your making.
Its as different in gameplay as an RTS is to an FPS.

Quote:
I actually moved it twice with no change. Originally it had been in my TV console (open) since launch. But I don't play my Wii that much so I didn't really care. Since I picked up SMG2 though, it's really annoying to have to be sitting near the center of the room to get it to pick up the pointer. I tried recalibrating and adjusting the sensitivity settings...everything seemed fine. When I move the Wiimote hand pointer on the main Wii screen, it likes to jump back and forth, not far, but it is jittery and imprecise. I thought maybe it didn't like being under the TV, so I placed it on top of the TV, but it still has the same sort of problems. It's across all of my Wiimotes as well, not just my primary one.
Thats really puzzling. I've honestly never had that problem when it wasn't clearly an environmental thing. My Wii is currently right by my window and works fine.
I did get jitteryness when I took it too my parents once - turns out to be the reflection on the tv stand. Moving it above fixed it. But you say that didnt help
Maybe there's fault Sensor bars about? Seems unlikely though, given how simple those things are. You could always try using two candles instead :P

Quote:
I'd rather push a pressure-sensitive button than throw a "ball" in a game (at this point, at least).
Depends on the game there. In most case's Id agree, but if a good motion sensing system can get your aim/intensity right, then it gives you more options as a player to do the chuck yourself.
Yes, I'm thinking of chucking a magic ball here :P
Old 2010-06-15, 03:27
Magic Ball Master

Yeah, I wish I could figure it out. My TV stand is wood, so there shouldn't be any reflection...my friend has a Wii, I should give borrow his sensor bar and see what happens.
Old 2010-06-15, 03:36
Classic

Ubisoft news incoming...

Quote:
6:26
IGN: One final announcement: at the end of this year Ubisoft is launching a new dancing game featuring Michael Jackson.
6:25
IGN: Trackmania 2 beta coming Q4 2010, Shootmania beta is coming in 2011, and Questmania beta is coming soon.
6:24
IGN: Maniaplanet is a user-powered game that features three games: Trackmania, Shootmania and Questmania.
6:24
IGN: It's taking a cue from TrackMania.
6:23
IGN: The final announcement is a "platform" called Maniaplanet. Players can create tracks or gameplay...let's see what this trailer is about...
6:22
IGN: It's called Rayman Origins.
6:21
IGN: The new game is a side-scrolling action game that's highly artistic, almost with a Lucidity vibe.
6:21
IGN: The next project is from the creator of Beyond Good and Evil, who is apparently making tools for people to create downloadable games. It is a new RAYMAN GAME.
6:18
IGN: It's slated to come out in spring of 2011.
6:18
IGN: Three new projects are being shown. The first is called "Project Dust" and it is a downloadable game that appears to be about running a society that controls the elements.

Well, thats a few possibility's that Fred could be working on.

Nothing amazing, but more interesting then I expected of Ubisoft.
Old 2010-06-15, 04:56
Magic Ball Master

The Michael Jackson game isn't really new, but I never thought it would see the light of day. IIRC, MJ had poured millions into making a game about himself a couple of years before he died, but nobody ever expected it to materialize.
Old 2010-06-15, 08:15
Classic

Screens/Concept of Ubisofts "Dust" -

Quote:
Created by famed French videogame designer Eric Chahi, this mysterious game tells of a world in terrible disorder, one that only you can set right again.
Old 2010-06-15, 09:32
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
Fred showed up in the Ubisoft conference. Just saying.

Old 2010-06-15, 10:29
Classic

Still the awesome hair.

I didn't see the conference? What game was he associated with?
Old 2010-06-15, 10:51
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
He wasn't really associated with anything. He just showed up in a reel of Ubisoft designers talking about how gaming is changing with the whole Kinect thing and interactivity and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Raynal
We are back to the origin of the games. You forget the screen, the players look to themselves, the world becomes a game level and your friends are your competitors.
That's all he said.
Old 2010-06-15, 11:15
Idyllic + whimsical

RAYMAN ORIGINS

That is all.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2010-06-15, 11:41
Little Bastard Warrior.

FINALLY a smaller xbox.

Dusk and Origins are looking great. I really like the trailers for both.
Old 2010-06-15, 12:15
Little Bastard Warrior.

So, sorry for double posting, but regarding Freds new game, found some weird tidbits.

this site: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t....php?p=2255355
talks about him working on an MMO, called THI.

They do that because the slate on Freds site looks like it's supposed to say THI.

A few other sites talk about it if you search Raynal and THI.

But then I found this site of a Ubisoft Lead Artist from Ubisoft Shanghai, who mentions working on an MMO called THI http://cn.linkedin.com/pub/yang-zhihong/14/533/18a

So... true perhaps?
Old 2010-06-15, 14:21
Magic Ball Master

IGN rumors that Retro Studios may have been working on a new Donkey Kong game.
Old 2010-06-15, 14:25
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
RAYMAN ORIGINS

That is all.
HOLY HECK YES!

Since when did the people at Ubisoft have a brain?

They better give this game a proper platform though. Like the PC.
Old 2010-06-15, 14:49
Classic

Yes, I must say Ubisoft has had a supprisingly good set of announcements.
Dust looks cool to me, certainly keeping my eye on that one.
Rayman looks very pretty. (almost in the style of "A Boy and his Blob" for the Wii).

I do like the expansion of the Trackmania franchise too. Questmania had potential.

Quote:
FINALLY a smaller xbox.
Maybe its just me but it doesn't actually look that a much smaller :P
Less slim and more "not fat" :P

Still, seems good value with wifi finally built in and 250GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
IGN rumors that Retro Studios may have been working on a new Donkey Kong game.
I heard. I'm hoping its not true.
As much as I like Donkey Kong, the Wii doesn't need another platformer, and I think Retro deserve to be given a chance to work on their own IP.
Old 2010-06-15, 18:29
Little Bastard Warrior.

Mario Sports Mix includes:

Mario Icehockey

Mario Safari (with real wiimotion control of black people)

Mario Drinking (With special abilities for all characters, like, err, Yoshi can, like, vomit... colorfully?)
Old 2010-06-15, 19:12
Classic

yeah, yeah.
The rest of Nintendo's conference has pretty owned though. Best they had in a long time.
Low on corporate boasting, big on games.
Zelda, Metroid, Kid-Irucuras, Donkey Kong, Golden Sun 3, Golden Eye Remake...hell, even Kirby and Epic Micky Looked cool.

3DS seems pretty good too, allthough naturaly hard to tell without seeing it IRL.

But insanely good idea;

3D Depth Slider.

That should shut up people moaning about not liking 3d :P

Hell, they even haven't mentioned the Vitality Sensor
Old 2010-06-15, 19:32
Little Bastard Warrior.

Agreed, great show.

Zelda looks cool, but after seeing sword fighting in MGS Rising and the looks and action in Mario Galaxy 2, I kind of expected more. But it's wonderful that they've found a good mix between cel and real Zelda.

Best of the show for me was Kirby. Holy crap that game looked fun in a Mario Galaxy kinda way.

Mickey makes me curious, looking at Warrens old games, you'd think he'd do something more extreme, but as he said, there was a lot more to show.
Old 2010-06-15, 19:36
Classic

Yes, Kirby looks very imaginative. Great style and design.

Zelda imho, looks superb, but rather expected. Its basically using all of WiiSportsResort controlls in game. I also suspect the whole holding it upwards thing is to hide the calibration of the gyroscope :P

Quote:
Mickey makes me curious, looking at Warrens old games, you'd think he'd do something more extreme, but as he said, there was a lot more to show.
Well, the concept art was crazy-extream. I guess someone told him to tone it down.
Either way it looks pretty nice.
Not the "Okamiky" I expected from the description.
Old 2010-06-15, 20:00
Magic Ball Master

Show was very good indeed. Nothing excites me more than Rayman though.

Zelda was everything that was to be expected. No surprises at all.

Mario Sports Mix - I think it's a neat way to combine all those Mario sports titles nobody has the money to buy at full price into one game. Though only if the games are more than mini-games. I doubt I'll get it. Mario Smash Football is still by far the best Mario sports multiplayer game in my eyes.

Donkey Kong Country looks fun, though I agree with darkflame. I already have
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
for my Wii, and
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- A Boy and His Blob
- Muramasa: The Demon Blade
are already on the list. The game will have to have a Retro Studios bonus to wrestle itself past those.

Kirby looked the most innovative for me. Though same as above.

So far I hope Metroid Other M reaches us soon. (Though then again, I still have Metroid Prime 3 before me).

Kid Icarus looked pretty amazing. I want Professor Layton 3DS. Heck, I want more Professor Layton games, where is the third one? And the fourth and the fifth?

Pikmin 3 and the Vitality Sensor didn't make it into the show.
Old 2010-06-15, 20:05
Classic

Oh, yes, Layton 3D would rock.
I suspect 3 will come out before the 3DS and the others might get conversions.
Maybe even just "with 3DS support!" style additions. (Like previous console transitions have happened on the handheld).

And yes, Pikmin still MiA. Then again, there is supposed to be a few random other announcements they said during the show.
Watching the post-show thing on Nintendo.com not.
Nothing amazing, just a few minor extra details here and there.