Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Games
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Games A forum for discussion of any demos and fan games being made. Not for discussion of Modifications.

Old 2015-04-08, 12:40
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBA2 for PSP

I've always wanted to play LBA2 on my PSP.

Playing the game on android tablet or phone is a bit awkward with no actual "buttons", so i realised a PSP port wold be awesome.

The best approach would be to port the twin engine to PSP, I could help, But i'm not a very skilled programmer.

Another way to "port" the game would be to rip the 3D models and isometric interiors, and then use a custom engine to remake the game. I'll have to convert the models to wavefront .obj format, and i don't know if this can be done.

If someone is interested in ripping models... or porting twin engine it would be great!

For the moment, i'll try to rip the islands from island viewer, it might be possible with an opengl or directx ripper used with the viewer.

EDIT:
Thanks to Lupin i could convert lba2 models to 3ds and use them in blender.
http://forum.magicball.net/showthrea...=13485&page=11

I found the islands in 3ds from LBANET, (i think the project died... )

So this is twinsen on the first island. A lot of objects missing... very difficult to recreate..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...en_Blender.png

I guess the best option is to talk to the people from twin-e, and try to port it for PSP

Last edited by Mills; 2015-04-08 at 20:21.
Old 2015-04-09, 01:22
Polly parrot

As a matter of fact, there is a way to run LBA2 on PSP using DOSBox. The thread creator says that it's not perfect, but playable (personally haven't tested this yet.)

edit : Last post on the thread is

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post
Just don't bother with it. LBA2 on PSP is very slow and you won't be able to play nothing due to its slowness.

That said (I don't know enough about programming but) could it be easier to optimize the emulation rather than porting the whole thing ?
Old 2015-04-09, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
As a matter of fact, there is a way to run LBA2 on PSP using DOSBox. The thread creator says that it's not perfect, but playable (personally haven't tested this yet.)

edit : Last post on the thread is

That said (I don't know enough about programming but) could it be easier to optimize the emulation rather than porting the whole thing ?
You are right, i have the psp dosbox source, but i am not able to compile it .

I don't know where i downloaded this source in case anybody wants it https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...sp.b090913.rar

PSP should be powerfull enough to make the game playable with sound using dosbox if you just optimize it for LBA2.

Anyway, I loaded citadel island from LBANET, into a PSP engine called ONELUA. (just the ground and some buildings i could find) it looks great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png‎
Views:	376
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	9960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.png‎
Views:	354
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	9961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.png‎
Views:	424
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	9962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image4.png‎
Views:	463
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	9963  
Old 2015-04-09, 12:45
Polly parrot

Looks promising indeed !
Old 2015-04-11, 16:15

The islands are too large for PSP... a lot of triangles (50.000) and it always runs at 20-30 fps. I won't be able to port it the way i liked.

I'll focus on dosbox emulation.

One think i'd also like to do is to edit twinsen's house (the 3d object). I think is a bit... ugly . How can i edit 3d buildings? I did not see any option in the editors.
Old 2015-04-11, 18:30
Polly parrot

I don't think we have tools for that yet... Neither for 3D island edition...
Old 2015-04-13, 22:22
Magic Ball Master

klusark is working on a reverse engineering of LBA2 and LBA1 for ResidualVM, like ScummVM for 3D adventure games.
So eventually when the port is complete, it will be available in multiple platforms.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2015-06-27, 00:01
Quetching a Mr.

I have always wanted to play LBA 2 on other platforms. While I do have an older PSP that is hacked, I can play the game, but at decreasingly slow speeds. I have only gotten as far as going from one side of the island, ( The Lighthouse ) to the other side of the island, ( The Weather Wizard Tent ). I would not recommend playing the game at all on a PSP. The game literally plays about about 2 - 3 frames per second. Inside buildings, the game averages between 4 - 5 frames per second. Still, I would not recommend it either way. I would stay with the computer. On the other hand, if DotEmu did the same thing with LBA 2 as they did 1, I would be incredibly happy. At least, I haven't seen anything like this, and if it does exist, I feel like an idiot for not having known sooner.

However, you have come up with a great idea of trying to do a more successful port of LBA 2 to other platforms. I am very impressed with your work Mills! I see that you have the original models from the LM2 and LUN file types exported to file types such as 3DS and OBJ. This is exciting! If there is anything I can do, I would like to help as well. While I do know some programming, I have had on average about 10 years of Game Maker Language, and only a couple to a few months of C++. I am much better an artist than I am a programmer, but I try to help in any way I can.

But hey, if you don't need any help, that is fine too.
Old 2016-12-15, 00:06
Daria Sharonova

Send a message via ICQ to Bestary
Wow, LBA2 in high resolution!

And think, the general light need to be more warm, here it is too bright. It looks like Twinsun has two white giant-stars at it's sides. ^^'