Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News > Syndicated news
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Syndicated news News from other LBA related websites.

Old 2008-05-17, 17:10
Magicball Network service bot

[LBA Prequel] Prequel Job Opening - Experienced C/C++ Programmer Needed!

The LBA Prequel Team is looking for experienced C/C++ programmer with
knowledge about reversing engineer to help out with a new side project.
We decide a better engine with few improvements like better movies, sound and musics, portability, etc., will be necessary for a better project progress. This way we create a side project named Prequengine totaly indempendent from Prequel game itself. At first we want this new team only focus in the engine and not in the game content.
For more informations about this project and its progress, take a look at the "The Engine" link in main menu.
All submissions should include samples of your work. Please apply today by sending an email to [email address]. Remember, we would like someone who is able to begin work right away. If you think you can help, please send us an email!

Read more...
Old 2008-05-17, 19:16

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Let me make this clear:

The Prequel engine will become an open source engine that will let any other team create LBA1 modifications.
Old 2008-05-17, 19:24
Father of Shoda

That sounds very generous and great

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-05-17, 21:15

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
It's a project that will benefit everyone. So if you think you fit the bill, please join.
Old 2008-05-19, 14:34
Magic Ball Master

Agreed, with some tweaks we really hope to bring a lot of additions that would be impossible with the original engine (including higher quality voices and no more MIDI music).
Old 2008-05-20, 13:08
LOLwut?

Holy shit!

That was unpredictable!

Is it the game engine been done from scratch?

Old 2008-05-20, 15:10
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
they're using the lba1 engine afaik
Old 2008-05-20, 16:30
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoGaspar View Post
Holy shit!

That was unpredictable!

Is it the game engine been done from scratch?
Not from scratch. We need to slightly modify it in order to a.) get rid of some limitations of the original engine that are causing us problems and b.) implement new features that will make it a better game.
Old 2008-05-20, 17:11
Magic Ball Master

Well, it depends of what "from scratch" means to everyone.
As from scratch I mean, starting a new engine without using the code directly given by TwinEngine, but start from zero looking at original engine dissambly and TwinEngine steps.
Improving TwinEngine at this stage will be a bunch of work, much more than see how it is done there and remake it, thats why we are starting a new engine called Prequengine, but alsways keep TwinEngine as source.

The main goal now is to build things that aren't made yet in TwinEngine and I've got some fews already.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2008-05-20, 17:21
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
The main goal now is to build things that aren't made yet in TwinEngine and I've got some fews already.
Drowning in water instead of walking over it would be a good start.
Old 2008-05-20, 22:12
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
You didn't realize that Twinsen = Jesus?
Old 2008-05-20, 22:17
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
Yeah, indeed, but we are a bit far from that point yet. Anyway, its good to have help by pointing all those stuffs aren't well in TwinEngine.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2008-05-21, 13:14
LOLwut?

Is it just me feeling that the new task will take ages?

Old 2008-05-21, 15:24
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Is it just me feeling that the new task will take ages?
Working on a customized version of the original engine + Time = Better Game
Working with the original engine and its limitation + time = Spinning wheels and an inferior game.
Old 2008-05-21, 15:54
Magic Ball Master

Exactly, we are trying to improve the LBA engine the way we can take some benifits of it. We all know it will take some time, but it could be worst it. It will also be available for all the other projects, and not only for Prequel.

I'm currently building the engine alone. I have 2 more people in the team but they are a bit busy right now, so they probably won't give much input soon. Anyway, I have in mind that in at least 1 year, we will be able to have a alpha version of thos engine running for tests.

Old 2008-05-21, 16:11
Magic Ball Master

Plus, it isn't like the rest of us are stopping while Alex and his guys work on the revamped engine. There is still plenty of work being done on the rest of the project, be it grids, layouts, story modifications, movies, musics, etc. When the engine is finished, we'll be ready.
Old 2008-05-22, 00:14
RobG from different angle

Bleh o.O think engine work is a bit too high-tech for my low-level c++ so far.
But i wish you luck with your endavour (most likely spelled that wrong but wth.) ^^ and specially looking forward to when you show us the improvements in the form of videos/screenshots/demos
nocd cracks!

Project C starts in 2-3 weeks!
Old 2008-05-22, 00:45
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Plus, it isn't like the rest of us are stopping while Alex and his guys work on the revamped engine. There is still plenty of work being done on the rest of the project, be it grids, layouts, story modifications, movies, musics, etc. When the engine is finished, we'll be ready.
I hope so ^^

Can't wait for the demo.

You're starting to follow the DN forever style...

Mmm that last line was evil

Old 2008-05-22, 16:38
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
You're starting to follow the DN forever style...

We simply misjudged the problems that the original engine gave us. A year ago, we figured that most of these could be solved or worked around, but after struggling with trying to get the demo going, it became evident that it would be easier and more efficient in the long run to dedicate time to revamping certain parts of it rather than trying to keep banging out heads against a brick wall.

I know it pisses me off.
Old 2008-05-22, 16:51
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
I know it pisses me off.
My lines pisses you off?

Or the bump-into-the-wall thing into LBA1?

------------------------------------------------

Curiosly what you said sounds a lot more 3DRealms answers...

Old 2008-05-22, 17:15
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
My lines pisses you off?
No, I meant the issues with the engine.
Old 2008-06-24, 12:50
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
I still think it's futile ... people with such experience like you should start making the game from scratch ... in 1-2 years it would be complete and WELL done ... why try reinventing the wheel ??? for me it just doesn't add up ... the whole LBA engine thing being used to make a game is .... stupid, sorry it's like me and Jasiek would try to extract the models from the original LBA for years, wasting time, instead of making our own (which we do) ...
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-06-24, 13:27
Magic Ball Master

Well, we actually aren't reinventing the wheel. We are trying to produce an engine well known to us. I know starting a new engine from scratch instead of using LBA engine is great but it also have cons. Since the project started we are trying to improve our tools as best as we can to fit those projects and we are getting something. If we use a complete new engine all this work will be post apart and won't be used which is unfair. Also as you may see, we don't have such time and resources to build an entire new engine. I'm still doing Prequengine alone with minor help from other member and isn't easy for someone who could only spend 8/14h week to build such engine. The demo implementation should continue soon and I wouldn't have all the time for the engine only, so it also won't be easy to setup all those things without a major help.

This engine will be also something we deserve for so long. It will allow LBA1 to be run in different OSystems and allow other projects like Prequengine, TGR etc. to easy interact with the engine.

Old 2008-06-24, 13:30
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
It won't be the same feeling if they used a engine not alike the LBA1 engine.

However I really don't see what should take time in creating the engine when Twin-E already has the most vital code already.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-06-24, 14:26
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
1) in life, there comes a time when you have to be smart enough to let go of something, even though you've put so much effort in it ... letting go of it will give you the chance of creating something bigger, worthier, thus your previous work will not be in vain, but it will live through the new one

2) you don't have to make an engine in C/C++ ... my God, I never said that ... all I wanted to say is use an already built engine, like Torque, Ogre, Blitz, etc. (there are thousands out there) and start making a game in no time (I say this cause I know what u guys are capable of )

3) perfecting the tools .... hmm .. so what ??? even if you'd have the original ones, you still will be WAY limited ... think of it this way: the absolute state of perfection of this project can be nothing more than a game like the original LBA ... still, there are very very few chances that you will ever achieve that, so you will probably end up spending years with a game far worse than the original LBA which is now ... well .... 14 years old ...... so u should start focusing on something new, cause you'd make wonders with your skills
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles