Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News > Syndicated news
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Syndicated news News from other LBA related websites.

Old 2008-06-24, 15:38
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
1) in life, there comes a time when you have to be smart enough to let go of something, even though you've put so much effort in it ... letting go of it will give you the chance of creating something bigger, worthier, thus your previous work will not be in vain, but it will live through the new one
I think that's a poor argument, what they are trying to achieve is to a huge extent a game with the same feel as LBA1, they are not trying to make a game with the best rendered graphics.

However, I think what you said is correct, as long as it's about maximized productivity and innovations, LBAPrequel has a cultural value gained from being alike LBA1.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-06-24, 16:28
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
all I'm saying is that (apart from the fact that I do NOT want a cool graphics game), all I want is to see this team's efforts in terms of productivity ... they've been working on this for ..... like FOREVER and still, we don't even have a single single single .EXE with the smallest scene ... don't u think they should REALIZE this ain't going anywhere and start making accomplishable things ??? I'm not saying they're lazy or anything, just that they are wasting time with things which won't ever see the light of day .... don't be mad at me, I'm just pointing facts here ... again, what they should do is VALUE their time and talent and start making a game the normal way ... hacking an engine will lead NOWHERE ... period
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-06-24, 17:55
Magic Ball Master

As mentioned, the engine is already 'hacked', the result is Twin-Engine.

Also, their primary object wasn't to create a .EXE, just to edit the data files to create LBAPrequel.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-06-24, 18:26
Twinsunian Quetch

I know but ... they have to make up their minds on WHAT they want .... tools or a game ...
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-06-24, 18:37
Father of Shoda

why not both?

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-06-24, 19:33
Master of Science & Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
As mentioned, the engine is already 'hacked', the result is Twin-Engine.
Twin-Engine isn't a hacked version of the original engine. It's a reimplementation.
Old 2008-06-24, 20:12
Twinsunian Quetch

yes and it's a very very partial one if I may say so
Old 2008-06-25, 21:15
Magic Ball Master

First of all we want to make a game using LBA1 engine, that's for sure. You can called it a mod, if you think its the perfect name for it. Even the project has grows a lot from what we expect initially we can make it grow too much more exactly because a lot of time passed and we only have a lot of background work not so much of visible one. Anyway, isn't creating a new engine (yes, by new engine I mean using engines SDKs like Ogre3D) would require much more effort, time and human values to make it which we don't have at all. We are a small team and as you can see, even with the job request here, I'm still alone doing Prequengine and I can't do something bigger alone. For a task like you're saying at least 5 people working hard on it I'll need, not to say that a engine game architecture would need to be made.

I understand your frustation but isn't easy having a team when 50% work, and 50% study or something like that with only few hours for week we can spend on this.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2008-06-25, 21:28
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
Twin-Engine isn't a hacked version of the original engine. It's a reimplementation.
Bah...

Twin-Engine is a reversed engineering of the original LBA executable. Reverse engineering is done by 'hackers', therefore I think it's fair to say that the LBA engine has been 'hacked'.

Yet, I can see your point of view: It's rewritten, recompiled and recreated, as opposed to being sightly edited/hacked.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-06-25, 21:36
Magic Ball Master

... which is a great help for this engine.

I was actually to improve twin-e, but I thought will be better to use its code rewrote.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2008-06-25, 23:01
Master of Science & Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
Twin-Engine is a reversed engineering of the original LBA executable. Reverse engineering is done by 'hackers', therefore I think it's fair to say that the LBA engine has been 'hacked'.
no, that's not correct.
Old 2008-06-25, 23:57
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
all I'm saying is that (apart from the fact that I do NOT want a cool graphics game), all I want is to see this team's efforts in terms of productivity ... they've been working on this for ..... like FOREVER and still, we don't even have a single single single .EXE with the smallest scene ... don't u think they should REALIZE this ain't going anywhere and start making accomplishable things ??? I'm not saying they're lazy or anything, just that they are wasting time with things which won't ever see the light of day .... don't be mad at me, I'm just pointing facts here ... again, what they should do is VALUE their time and talent and start making a game the normal way ... hacking an engine will lead NOWHERE ... period
Posts like these make me want to give up and just not even bother with this community anymore.
Old 2008-06-26, 00:05
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
no, that's not correct.
What is not correct?

I reason like this: If I am painting my house, then my house has been painted. If someone has been hacking (reverse engineering) the LBA1 engine, it has been hacked

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-06-26, 09:05
Twinsunian Quetch

DJ: maybe you should then ... all I said was that you guys can make something spectacular IF you look in the right direction ... if you've misread or misinterpreted, it ain't my fault

AlexFont: how about working with an engine like Conitec or BlitzBasic ??? Conitec can do wonders if you know C# and C (or C++) I say this cause they are not SDKs, but completetely featured engines ... all u have to do is provide the material, write some scripts, assemble them and voilla

LBAWinOwns: you are partially right and el is also partially right ... yes, the LBA1 engine IS HACKED, yet this is not where things stop ... hacking the engine allowed a reimplementation of the engine somewhere further along the way so bottom line: the engine was hacked in order to be reimplemented ...

Last edited by Quetch; 2008-06-26 at 09:14.
Old 2008-06-26, 15:19
Magic Ball Master

Engine like Conitec Game Studio en BlitzBasic would require too a lot of effort to understand how it works and how we can design such engine there. Also we can gain in some aspetcs using this but we'll loose almost everything we are working on and will be even horse of making what we are doing.

I think we can learn a lot what we're doing now, and all the aspects bad or good could allow us to improve this game or another game in a another step. From what we have so far, we indeed have content to build a independent LBA like game, but as I said, it would require things we don't have and can't do it now.

Maybe when we finish this game we can make a better version with the same story with a new an independent engine.

---

No one hacked LBA1 engine to build a reimplementation. Its simply an understanding of Assembly code which is coded in another language.
An hacked version of LBA1 engine will be something to uses exactly the same file you hacked, like a no cd check or something.

---

Back on topic, every single help is welcome.

Old 2008-06-26, 15:48
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
DJ: maybe you should then ... all I said was that you guys can make something spectacular IF you look in the right direction ... if you've misread or misinterpreted, it ain't my fault
No, you said that this project is never going to amount to anything and we should just quit now and change our entire mode.

For someone who is so graciously showing us the light, you sure have done...nothing...to help. Thanks for your contribution!
Old 2008-06-26, 15:50
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post

Back on topic, every single help is welcome.
Yes, HELP is welcome. Detractors can shut the fuck up.
Old 2008-06-26, 16:24
Twinsunian Quetch

excuse me, DJ, but I've offered myself countless times to help with voiceacting, modeling, animating, texturing (if you can implelemts this), etc. BUT the nastiest thing is that my help would only be VISIBLE once the game itself would become even a bit VISIBLE ... so yes, detractors will shut up and follow the light, even if it comes from a candle or a lighter at least it's light
Old 2008-06-26, 16:56
Magic Ball Master

Would you like to take over the project? I'm dead serious. Maybe you have all the answers?
Old 2008-06-26, 17:08
Twinsunian Quetch

I do not want to take over the project cause I'd direct all team members to let go of the current direction and make the game using a pre-made engine so in this situation, it's better for you guys to be in charge as long as you'll give us something to taste instead of reading
Old 2008-06-26, 17:32
Magic Ball Master

OK guys lets calm down.

We know we dont have too many visible work, but we have a lot of non-visible one. I hope this summer we can do something more playable. We should manage this when a new version of LBArchitect be out.

Old 2008-06-26, 17:38
Twinsunian Quetch

the moment you can import models, just tell me
Old 2008-06-26, 17:42
Magic Ball Master

Will be difficult to have such feature.

Old 2008-06-26, 17:55
Twinsunian Quetch

so u can't use other models than the existent ones ?
Old 2008-06-26, 17:55
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
Will be difficult to have such feature.
Why? Ain't it worth it to fix a model up loader. Now artists are forced having to write down space coordinates instead of making models in the programs of their choice.

(image by leoboe! )