Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Games
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Games A forum for discussion of any demos and fan games being made. Not for discussion of Modifications.

Old 2012-10-08, 15:21
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBA - Heritage

Hi all,

I'm not settled on the name of the project yet, at least not until I can release a prototype for testing.

Well, I wont spoil any of the story of the game I'm working on, but it is an alternative sequel for the LBA2. I mean alternative as in, it is not something the original developers would do.

Here some pics of the prototype I'm working on:

The Game is being developed in Blender Game Engine.
Here is a video of the project:
Ps: The Grobo model I took from the Little Big Script project, just to test the path Node Algorithm, I'll replace it for one modeled by myself as soon as I finish it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAR-FeaTl9I&feature=plcp

The Idea is to make it all open source, so anyone cam make changes and his/her own game. And Tutorials on most of what is being done in terms of Coding the Logics will be posted both in Portuguese and English at:

http://semaforonte.wordpress.com/

See Yah!
Old 2012-10-08, 16:44
LBA2 Maestro

Looks very nice! I like the animations and models!

If it were for me to decide, I should keep the LBA1 and 2 camera view, like you're watching from a little aboven Twinsen, and not on the level of his eyes.

But for everything else, very cool
Old 2012-10-08, 21:33

LBA - Heritage Update

Hi,
Thanks for the reply!
I think animations are still kinda crappy, They were done so tests would look a little better, but I'll improve them later in the project!
For the camera, I'm not sure about how I'm gonna do it. I like the lba1/lba2 camera, but with real 3D you get so many more options, but they much more difficult to manage since a strange camera view can lead to crappy gameplay.
So.. I'm still experimenting on camera!

Now I have a rudimentary system for the inventory and saving game. Still not implemented in the prototype but working on my tests.

Here is an scenery update:
A LightHouse model made by me just today!

I still need to fix a LOT of the texturing, but I'm getting there!

See Ya!
Old 2012-10-11, 03:23

LBA - Heritage Update 10/10/12

There is a lot to improve on modeling and texturing but here is a closer look to Twinsen, and how I conceived the model should look like on the game.
Or at least for the test prototype.

I got set up the algorithm to make an enemy follow the character, but i have no Idea yet how am I going to do the battle system.

Well, no big updates for now, other than that.

If anyone has experience in blender game engine, please contact me. I have a feel questions regarding merging animations to make smoother transitions.

See you all next time!
Old 2012-10-11, 16:52
the legend

Impressive !

Heh, Citadel Island must've been modelled at least 465 times by several other people on this forum, and probably the favorite place for modellers to start working on (and usually never finish...).

Anyway, I particularly like the new Twinsen, I think this might be precisely the way he should be in a new-generation of LBA's.
Maybe you should just fix two things: a bigger ponytail and less of a baby-kid face. Also, Quetches have 4 fingers, no?

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-10-11, 18:28
Magic Ball Master

I really like the tunic-design. It adds a good amount of "height" to twinsens look making it just a little less comic-like or cute.
The island itself looks awesome, too. It's maybe a little bit too big compared to twinsens body-size. Did you use some kind of reference? Several members managed to make a 3D-Model out of the original island-files that can be imported into blender.
Old 2012-10-11, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post

Impressive !

Heh, Citadel Island must've been modelled at least 465 times by several other people on this forum, and probably the favorite place for modellers to start working on (and usually never finish...).

Anyway, I particularly like the new Twinsen, I think this might be precisely the way he should be in a new-generation of LBA's.
Maybe you should just fix two things: a bigger ponytail and less of a baby-kid face. Also, Quetches have 4 fingers, no?

Hi, thanks for the Feedback!
I actually was tempted to use the 3D models already made for citadel Island. In fact I have them, and they look quite good when imported to blender. I Even used it for some early tests. I might use them later on the project, but I will make a feel changes. The fact is I find relaxing modeling while I make breaks from the VERY FRUSTRATING part that is writing and debugging the code for the game Logics. Makes you feel like you making progress! hehehe. For the testing prototype (I would'nd call it an alpha yet) I wont finish the whole Island. I'll focus on implementing the whole Logics for testing (it will be an open test for anyone willing to help). While I start working on a demo.

On the demo, I'll wont spoil the story just yet, I'll have to remodel the Island to fit the story,so I might or not use already made models to speed up the process. As you can see I'm not a good modeler.

About the Twinsen model:
Thanks, I still have to fix some things on the Tunic, but that is the overall look I want it to have. I agree with you! Thanks for helping make it better!.

See yah!
Old 2012-10-11, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoboe View Post
I really like the tunic-design. It adds a good amount of "height" to twinsens look making it just a little less comic-like or cute.
The island itself looks awesome, too. It's maybe a little bit too big compared to twinsens body-size. Did you use some kind of reference? Several members managed to make a 3D-Model out of the original island-files that can be imported into blender.
Well, Thanks!

I'll Fix the proportions! I was just adjusting roughly based on the door sizes, and the doors scale based on the buildings. But its an easy fix!
Old 2012-10-11, 19:32

Hi Guys,
I would like your opinion on Controls:

I know old time fans tend to be a little conservative on some issues. But I have some Ideas that I dont know if they will be well received.

I really like how the original controls make you immerse into the game. When you are obligated to use both hands on the keyboard, you basically cannot do anything else other than playing the game. and that is a PLUS

However, IN MY OPINION, gameplay is not perfect, and I personally prefer using WSAD to move the character which leaves your other hand free to use the mouse. So i'm leaning towards using the mouse for key actions like picking up objects, activating stuff, etc..

So what do you think about that?
Old 2012-10-11, 21:04
the legend

Ew, no !!!

Arrow keys + ctrl, alt, space, enter, shift, etc.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-10-12, 12:10
LBA2 Maestro

Don't worry about the controls, that doesn't matter at all in this stadium, you'll eventually find out while playing.

I use custom controls for LBA2, I hate the normal controls
Old 2012-10-12, 14:22
Polly parrot

Cool tunic texture !
Old 2012-10-14, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelichian View Post
I always used the preset ones.. kept the keyboard on my lap with my face right up on the screen.. (probably why I wear glasses now)...
you wear glasses..... ~nosebleeds~ anyways the game does look great ^_^ hope for a proto type soon!
Old 2012-10-14, 19:46

LBA - Heritage Update 10/14/12

Hi,
Right now for testing I'm using WSAD to move character (just because its easier to move and use the mouse to find error messages and stuff), but I'll keep it open to discussion for any release version.

Well, I have not updated Twinsen model as suggested yet(no excuse for that). But I'm currently working n enemy AI, and this is probably the most complex stuff to work on.

For testing, I've modeled a sphero that will be the enemy prototype, lets call hem DrSphero! heehe

Here is a preview:

Well, right now he can find any character class object in the scene, when you get close enough, he tracks to you and follows you!
He can also kill you already, but since I have not yet implemented any way you can kill him or defend yourself, It's just silly! hhehhe. So I wont preview that part!

Here is a short video of the above mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Fx...w&feature=plcp

Well,
Any other updates I'll post here. Hope you like it, and any suggestions and criticisms will be welcome!
Old 2012-10-14, 19:56

his legs are a bit long...
Old 2012-10-15, 05:00

LBA - Heritage Update 10/14/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditzy Doo View Post
his legs are a bit long...
Noted! Easy fix!
Although I'll keep this overall look for spheros, I'll make it with shorter legs!

Thanks!
Old 2012-10-15, 05:16

Yup yup! but he looks creepy >_< i preferd the less polygon one where you couldn't tell how they looked exactly. But it looks amazing... just creepeh
Old 2012-10-15, 13:21

Quote:
Yup yup! but he looks creepy >_< i preferd the less polygon one where you couldn't tell how they looked exactly. But it looks amazing... just creepeh

Ah yeah, But there is a reason why it looks creepy! This is DrSphero! He will be
a creepy enemy to implement and test enemy AI for the prototype!

Watch the video and you'll see hem following Twinsen!

Later I'll make the classic ones!
Old 2012-10-15, 19:04

I did. i did.... just its a face with arms and legs. Kinda creepy
Old 2012-10-15, 21:48
Magic Level: Purple Ball

LBA HAS to be by far the game that got most fanmade projects for sequels prequels remakes etc.

Twinsen looks really cool!
Old 2012-10-15, 22:53
Magic Level: Green Ball

The twinsen model looks very realistic I must say. Nice to see you developping this sequel my friend. Keep it up!
Old 2012-10-17, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
The twinsen model looks very realistic I must say. Nice to see you developping this sequel my friend. Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatoor View Post
LBA HAS to be by far the game that got most fanmade projects for sequels prequels remakes etc.

Twinsen looks really cool!
Thanks! As suggested I'll make a more adult looking head for twinsen, correct the number of fingers and for the Tunic, I just need to fix a little the texture. Its a little deformed in some places.

Quote:
I did. i did.... just its a face with arms and legs. Kinda creepy
Well, I made a feel adjustments on the Sphero, now its just an old sphero, some NPC I'll use to test something alse than enemy AI. For that I'll make something else! Hope its not creepy looking!

Also I'm making some adjustments on the Island! I am not quite happy with it yet, so I'll redo most of its texture.
Here some samples:

And the island:
Old 2012-10-17, 06:05

don't get me wrong man. It looks great... its just the concept of shpearos creep me out.
Old 2012-10-18, 14:30
New efforts! :)

Really nice! It really looks just like citadel island. Looking forward to your project .

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2012-10-20, 05:31

LBA - Heritage Update 10/20/12

Hi Guys, Here is a bit of update on the game progress!
Its a little slow cause next month I'll defend my Ph.D Thesis, but after that I'll try to speed up a little!

Well, I could make a simple battle system. Not too complicated yet but its getting there (Well, actually its a little far from being a acceptable battle system but little by little I'll make it better).

Right now I can make the enemy track the player and I can cause damage to the enemy and once its health points reach 0, it dies.
Also I could make it sync with animations!

Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJL81...ature=youtu.be

A Little RAW yet.

Also I've made improvements on the island and modeled twinsens car!
Well, I made one inspired by twinsen's.
Also, I used original 3DS file for Twinsens/Zoey statue and textured it.

Enjoy the updates pictures:

New SPHERO

Island with new statues:

And the car: