Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-09-10, 22:35
You what?!

iPhone 5s/5c

Apple have announced their latest update to the iPhone range today. The 5s is 64-bit, but otherwise it's the usual slight makeover with very little actually different. They've added a fingerprint sensor, which could be a nice feature, but I feel like I should reserve judgement on how effective it is first.

Alongside the standard update for the 5s, they've come out with a cheaper side model named the 5c. Check it out here. They've gone back to their classic iPod mini colour schemes, so coupling that with the slightly lower price tag I think they could potentially be the bigger seller.

I'm a few generations behind on this (iPhone 4) so I'll probably be buying one of them.

Last edited by Kitarii; 2013-09-10 at 22:41.
Old 2013-09-11, 00:08
Bamboo

Send a message via MSN to Jareth
The 5c will be a boom for sure. More people will not only want an iPhone but will actually get one. I can tell based on my experience while talking to customers (I work as an Apple authorised salesman), that a cheaper alternative with the same/improved guts and a new color scheme will be a hit. Also, people confuse the 5th gen of iTouch for the iPhone, so something must be on

As for buying one myself: I'm just gonna stick to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, iPhone is just not my type
The 3G-ish look of the white 5c is nice tho.. But I'm still gonna need to pay off my new Macbook, lol xD
Old 2013-09-11, 20:25
Magic Ball Master

What good is a 64-bit processor if you only have 1 GB of RAM?
Old 2013-09-12, 02:52
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
What good is a 64-bit processor if you only have 1 GB of RAM?
Better question: Why the hell would you create a smartphone with only 1 GB of Ram?
Old 2013-09-12, 13:36
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
a fingerprint sensor? Meh.
Old 2013-09-12, 14:15
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I like that idea actually. Gestures arnt that secure, and you dont even have to remember figureprints.
A few laptops have had it before, but it makes more sense on phones.
Old 2013-09-12, 14:22
Polly parrot

It's extremely annoying on laptops, mine gladly misreads fingerprints and exits my games to tell me so.
Old 2013-09-14, 10:22
Neko

Underwhelmed. No innovation....
Old 2013-09-14, 10:42
You what?!

I assume it will have the same security options as before, so if it's not working or if you want someone else to use your phone it shouldn't be a problem, but it's just a nice quicker way to get into your phone.

Apple themselves say the move to 64-bit is evolutionary and not revolutionary, I suppose it just paves the way for more RAM to be added later on, but yeah it's not too exciting.

Smartphones are tricky and I think everyone gets pretty defensive about them; honestly I think any of the top range smartphones are going to be great phones, and they're all pretty similar anyway (as was made clear when Apple took Samsung to court), but the iPhone app store is still the largest so that wins it for me. Plus I can synchronise it nicely with all my other overpriced Apple products.

How do music player apps compare on other smartphones?
Old 2013-09-14, 11:51
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
i wouldn't buy an iphone because i'm not too keen on paying an extra 150$ on a product that's inferior as it is.
Old 2013-09-14, 14:03
Magic Ball Master

My problem is that I'm a sucker for control over my device. I installed a custom firmware on my 40€ music player device because the default one was so badly designed (it didn't tell you how long a music file was while you were listening to it...) I have little trust in giant corporations to produce applications that fulfil my needs. I've already endured that on Windows. (think of garbage like Windows Explorer)
Old 2013-09-14, 15:26
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
i'm not really into tinkering with my devices too much, but from what i understand, unless you jailbreak an iphone, you can't even choose your own default browser? that's bullshit man.
Old 2013-09-14, 16:43
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
My problem is that I'm a sucker for control over my device.
Same here.

I hate how in each and every new generation of computers/phones/devices, we get less and less control, more retarded "user-friendly" interfaces, and to top all that, we barely have a choice since we're being pushed to constantly upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade . -_-

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2013-09-14, 17:18
Neko

I bypass my itunes on my ipad via dropbox. What a bliss to share files via any device
Old 2013-09-14, 17:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Apples philosophy is pretty stupid. They would be just as successful if they allowed 3rd party apps. They make decent enough hardware and people see them as fashionable, so they get to charge more.
The idea that people will run away scared as soon as theres an option of installing your own code is crazy. 90% of people wont even notice.

Quote:
Apple themselves say the move to 64-bit is evolutionary and not revolutionary,
I am absolutely astonished we arnt using higher bittage phones already.
PC's have a excuse about legacy support, phones dont.

When did the Nintendo 64 come out? :P

Anyway, back to the figure print; If it works, I still think its a great idea - the only better way to unlock would be facial recognition but I dought that could be done 100% perfectly yet.
The problem is Apple is a US company as they insist on sycning; That means the NSA will have your figureprint.
Old 2013-09-14, 18:54
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Same here.

I hate how in each and every new generation of computers/phones/devices, we get less and less control, more retarded "user-friendly" interfaces, and to top all that, we barely have a choice since we're being pushed to constantly upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade . -_-
I never understood why the world wants EVERYTHING to be more user-friendly... Its just stupid to do so, we lose a lot of our control over the devices / games / in favor of stupid people that can't search a little more for the correct function or tool that they want.
Old 2013-09-15, 12:11
Polly parrot

They should at least provide an option, "do you want your phone to be user-friendly or not ?"
Old 2013-09-20, 00:40
Still in a dream...

I can't see who is going to buy a 5c. It's priced too highly - for £100 more you can get the 5S which will last far longer. I'd rather just get a second hand and cheaper 5 instead of the 5c (lets face it, the 5c is basically a 5 with a plastic case).

I quite like iOS7 - very smooth and clean. Even runs ok on my old 4. Not sure about the colour palette, though. My phone looks like it's been raped by a unicorn.
Old 2013-09-20, 01:11
Polly parrot

I can't picture that... Can you post a pic ?
Old 2013-09-23, 22:17
You what?!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379967352.562902.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	9820Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379967371.121454.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	9821

I quite like the new colour scheme, feels a bit like having a new phone. Some nice new features and swiping access for certain functions.
Old 2013-09-24, 00:36
Magic Ball Master

So, nothing reaaaly new bug a better design?
hmm k, tottaly worth buying
Old 2013-09-24, 08:10
Classic

slightly ontopic; Mobile phones badly need skinable interfaces for their OS's and Apps.

I see so many people talking about how good/bad a "new look" is when an OS updates, then normally moaning about the little bits that are inconsistent with the new theme.

PC's sorted this issue out, like, in the 90s.
Old 2013-09-25, 17:31
You what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
So, nothing reaaaly new bug a better design?
hmm k, tottaly worth buying
There's nothing to buy, you update your software for free.
If you were referring to the iPhone 5S, then yeah there's nothing new except the better design and new features, such as the bigger processor and finger print scanner.

People that just love to hate on Apple products just for the sake of it are just as (or more) annoying than the Apple fanboys that queue outside the store for 14 days before the release of a new iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
slightly ontopic; Mobile phones badly need skinable interfaces for their OS's and Apps.

I see so many people talking about how good/bad a "new look" is when an OS updates, then normally moaning about the little bits that are inconsistent with the new theme.

PC's sorted this issue out, like, in the 90s.
I guess the reason they don't let you change the skins/theme is so that app designers all have a certain 'look' to go for when designing their icon so they can try and make it fit in with everyone else on your phone, otherwise you might end up with some really random application icons that look terrible together. I'm sure all the older icon+app styles will get on board pretty quickly.
Old 2013-09-25, 21:36
Magic Ball Master

Ah wow, sorry... Looks like I misread your post then, you were talking about the new iOS version :P
Anyway, those people camping in front of the apple stores are just dumb. For as much as you like something, why would you spend a whole day in the line just to say that you were one of the first ones to get it? ¬¬"

And I'm not an apple hater, I'm more of a trend hater
In fact, I think their products are awesome, but they are just too overpriced to be worth buying. I won't spend lots of my money on something just to get a slight boost on what I already have.
Old 2013-09-26, 10:59
Classic

Quote:
I guess the reason they don't let you change the skins/theme is so that app designers all have a certain 'look' to go for when designing their icon so they can try and make it fit in with everyone else on your phone, otherwise you might end up with some really random application icons that look terrible together. I'm sure all the older icon+app styles will get on board pretty quickly.
But then all the apps have to update all at the same time, and that never happens.

You can simply deliver official skins and auto-select them. But this situation of updateing whole apps all the time to change the look is just silly.

---

Of course, I also object to the designers being in charge of my phone anyway, rather then me. But thats a different issue :P

Quote:
I won't spend lots of my money on something just to get a slight boost on what I already have.
Phone updates are far too incremental.
Better to wait, like 5-10 years and get a massive difference all at once.