Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Games
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Games A forum for discussion of any demos and fan games being made. Not for discussion of Modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2016-07-16, 21:07
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
Twinsun "Twinsen-Android" WIP

Hello, everyone. I have just started working on this a few days ago. I am proud to announce that I have been learning how to program in Unity, mainly Unity's Java scripting language. Why not C#, you ask? Because Java is similar to the last programming language that I used, "GML" ( Game Maker Language - Mark Overmars ). I have come to both learn and realize that hard work really does payoff! This is so exciting! Remember, this just began, - but I am sure that I can get somewhere with this, and I would be more than happy to put up the, "APK" file so that for those who have Android phones, you can play this game as is right now. And if it never does get completely finished like every other project that has began, hopefully this can be a nice contribution to the LBA Community. And, don't let me forget, of course - it's going to be free. And even if I did try and sell it, I think Fred and others whom he worked with would be extremely fed up... Remember, I'm just a member like all of you guys, and want to be acknowledged by the initial creators.

I'll continue to work on my art and computer skills in hopes of getting somewhere with this. I took textures from the internet just to begin, and then I'll soon replace them with my own. As you can see in the screenshot from my Android phone ( 1920 x 1080 Pixels ), there are some icons already available. I just did them real quick as to get something better than the standard Unity sprites / textures. So, that being said, you can use the left and right arrows to turn left and right, the squiggle on the bottom lets you run, and the up arrow let's you jump. So, in a nutshell, this is a practical LBA inspired game, with higher end graphics, while still retaining the original tank controls. Of course, that could be changed for those who really want it.

I have much more I would like to explain, but I just want to start spreading word of this. I already know that there are other projects that, although process has been slow, are still retaining their potential, mainly the other remakes by some other members. You guys know who I'm referring to.

Overall, the style that this game is containing is a semi LBA 1 and 2 style. So, it's got the the LBA 1 - ish looking buildings, along with the LBA 2 models ( Twinsen, trees, fences, etc. ). There is a whole lot more to be done, but I'll try to continue working on this. I know I am feeling more confident about this one.

Finally, the screenshot. What do you guys think?

__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2016-07-16, 21:11
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
By the way, if anyone wants this for IOS, perhaps in the future, I could reinstall my Unity with the IOS SDK that it needs. But, at the moment, I am without an "I" phone. Sorry, guys. Hopefully this project seems promising to some.
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2016-07-16, 21:15
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
That looks super cool, and i would be delighted to try it out sometime I too am using unity to create something special, although not to the same extent that you are going to do it seems. I'm merely making a citadel island in a modern engine setting, just acting like a showcase for people to enjoy.

How would i go about getting a apk file, for the progress thus far?
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2016-07-16, 21:17
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
I wish i could help in some way, im not sure if i would be of use though, to be honest
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2016-07-16, 23:02
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
Sorry for the late reply, but if you think about it, in the grand scheme of things, if you really strive to do something, chances are likely that you are going to do that. In all honesty, I think I will be working on this alone for sometime, and will keep people updated about what I've worked on since the previous post. I really do appreciate you, and for the kind compliment that you have given me.

As far as the, "APK" file's concerns are, I don't know if you checked, but there's a whole scripting API in the Unity Manual that discusses getting your game to work on Android. Although I remember a lot, I don't remember everything about getting the "SDK" to work. It took me about three whole days to finally get the thing working, and I had doubts several times, but was grateful once I solved an error, and was able to move onto the next step. Sometimes, however, that solution would bring along another error. If you just check the console as you go through the process, you should be fine. The most important things you will need are the "JDK" ( Java Development Kit )and "SDK" ( Software Development Kit ). So, make sure you have those downloaded / installed on your computer.
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2016-07-16, 23:11
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
I see what you mean now... My fault. I would think not too long from now. I'll see, maybe I'll put one up when more people are interested.
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2016-07-16, 23:28
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
Okay! Best of luck then, i'll be there when the time comes for feedback and improvement.
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2016-07-17, 00:40
xesf's Avatar
xesf xesf is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,813
Nice, you have to make a video to show the progress
__________________
Personal Blog - blog.xesf.net

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]


The Sacred Carrot website
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2016-07-17, 23:27
Lupin's Avatar
Lupin Lupin is offline
Previously Link
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,763
Nice work, MrQuetch, keep at it!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2016-07-18, 03:30
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
I didn't think I would receive such comments this soon. Thanks, guys! I will keep trying to work on this when the time allows. Still much programming to do, and many more assets to be produced - but I am certain that this will get somewhere. I'm typing this from my phone, so it's rather difficult. What I think is really funny is that I have been showing this to extended family ( I'm visiting at a reunion right now. ) and some of them actually knew that I was doing this based off LBA, and I didn't even know some of them knew about it. I need to get out more often, and though I have been, I've been gulping chalk fulls of the Unity's scripting API's. It's worth it, it's just a massive load of work. I'll keep you guys in check, don't worry.
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2016-07-18, 20:27
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
I'm trying to understand what you are doing and I can't figure out. Well last week I've played almost finished really nice looking MevX's citadel island. It really looks nice and imo better than your screenshot. Are you trying to remake the whole game with story npc's and stuff? If yes that is different and you shouldn't refuse help from someone like MevX. Remaking a whole game is about impossible to do alone.
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2016-07-19, 04:14
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
I'm trying to understand what you are doing and I can't figure out. Well last week I've played almost finished really nice looking MevX's citadel island. It really looks nice and imo better than your screenshot. Are you trying to remake the whole game with story npc's and stuff? If yes that is different and you shouldn't refuse help from someone like MevX. Remaking a whole game is about impossible to do alone.
I don't see why not make a fan game if I absolutely feel like it - which I do. I haven't seen MevX's Citadel Island, but I guess I'd better soon. Again, I've been busy. Gravel, you must remember and understand that I just began this, and I'm not sure if you've noticed, but MevX seems appreciated by what I've done so far. He could help - he's just not sure where would be a good position. And as of now, I am fine working on this alone, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Point is, if you can make something the way you want it exactly to be, then why not? The game is inspired by LBA, remember, so it will be incredibly similar, but different in ways. And whether its a prequel, sequel to any of the games yet, I'm not sure - but it'd be someplace in the LBA universe. Perhaps another world that closely resembles Twinsun. Part of this is coming from my rear end, but please respect the fact that I am doing this in regard to build-up the LBA community.

Actually, to be fair, if you really put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything ( Marty Mcfly Quote ), and I intend to complete this game. And if it just so happens that it doesn't get finished, I will post a file of what there is for play / messing around. Thank you very much. Please don't be discouraged by my past attitude - I hope to make everyone happy and well pleased.
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2016-07-19, 11:25
leoboe's Avatar
leoboe leoboe is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,169
This looks really promising and I'd love to try it out on my phone some time.

If you need some help with the interface, I could provide you with the files made for LBANet which contain graphics for a LBA2-style menu and Interface.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2016-07-19, 13:42
Angelus's Avatar
Angelus Angelus is offline
Magic Level: Fire Ball
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 329
Quote:
I have much more I would like to explain, but I just want to start spreading word of this. I already know that there are other projects that, although process has been slow, are still retaining their potential, mainly the other remakes by some other members. You guys know who I'm referring to.
As "some other member" I can only say that I wish you good luck Gravel22 I cannot agree with you that making game alone is impossible but for sure it's really hard.

In my career as game developer I realize that to create game we using relatively easy stuff. Difficulty is in amount of this simple things working together to make working game. Because of this we very often we have feeling of achievements after finishing some small part of game but with time difficulty of making everything work is more exponential function than linear.

So MrQuetch I know you are excited about your work. Keep it this way as long as you can but also don't be surprised about some people being skeptical. If you want them to stop being this way prove them they are wrong with your work not words.

So one more time good luck and don't give up easily.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2016-07-19, 18:07
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
I don't see why not make a fan game if I absolutely feel like it - which I do. I haven't seen MevX's Citadel Island, but I guess I'd better soon. Again, I've been busy. Gravel, you must remember and understand that I just began this, and I'm not sure if you've noticed, but MevX seems appreciated by what I've done so far. He could help - he's just not sure where would be a good position. And as of now, I am fine working on this alone, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Point is, if you can make something the way you want it exactly to be, then why not? The game is inspired by LBA, remember, so it will be incredibly similar, but different in ways. And whether its a prequel, sequel to any of the games yet, I'm not sure - but it'd be someplace in the LBA universe. Perhaps another world that closely resembles Twinsun. Part of this is coming from my rear end, but please respect the fact that I am doing this in regard to build-up the LBA community.

Actually, to be fair, if you really put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything ( Marty Mcfly Quote ), and I intend to complete this game. And if it just so happens that it doesn't get finished, I will post a file of what there is for play / messing around. Thank you very much. Please don't be discouraged by my past attitude - I hope to make everyone happy and well pleased.
Well now I understand better. The project you're doing is different than MevX one. You plan on making a game with a story which is awesome. That's why I've said "I'm trying to understand what you are doing and I can't figure out." Like I said after interviewing Fred, we need the members to do LBA related stuff more and more. You're exactly doing that and it's awesome!

Still I would like you to check out Amnesti's Citadel Island which looks a lot like LBA. I really liked the look of it as it's basically the textures from LBA itself.

I wish you good luck on that new project, if you need testers don't hesitate!
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2016-07-21, 00:15
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
I both really appreciate and applaud all of you - thanks so much guys! I'll just keep working on this when time allows. I showed my father what I had already a few days ago, and he told me he couldn't believe it. He's been learning Unity also, but he hasn't got around to doing anything within this extent. I'll keep you guys in check, and hopefully I can get more of this game going and coming along.

By the way, as a placeholder animation, Twinsen looks like he's got a giant pole up through his rear when he runs - almost a limp kind of effect - poor fella.
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2016-07-21, 02:52
Styx's Avatar
Styx Styx is offline
Panta rei
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Constantly moving
Posts: 700
Nice work! How about a short video to see how it looks in motion?
__________________
Everything begins with a choice
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2016-07-21, 19:14
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Nice work! How about a short video to see how it looks in motion?
Agree
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2016-07-22, 13:50
Angelus's Avatar
Angelus Angelus is offline
Magic Level: Fire Ball
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Nice work! How about a short video to see how it looks in motion?
Agree
I would like to see it too
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2016-07-22, 20:35
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
I'll definitely post a video when the time allows, but I only have Windows Movie Maker right now. If you guys can wait a couple weeks until I get home, I could record some game play in HD - I'm on vacation right now visiting some families. I promise I will come up with a video soon.
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 2016-07-22, 20:39
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
Not that I would, maybe though, but there is a possibility that I may end up restarting this project before it goes too far, as some things are disorganized and some of the coding snippets are arranged obscurely, but I guess for now, since you guys want to see a video of what there is, I'll try and continue working on this exact project in particular.
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 2016-07-22, 20:43
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
I don't know if this would bother you guys or not, but what if the game had a 640 x 480 resolution and 256 color textures and pallets like the older games? Personally, I would really love to do this, but for some reason didn't start that way. It would be much easier for the game to run on Android and IOS, and with the screenshot I already posted above, having this much starts to slow things down. ( There is more in the screenshot than there can be seen. )
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 2016-07-22, 21:52
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
to be honest, i would have preferred a normal pc version, to that of a android version, mainly because of better performance and better controls. While a android or ios version is very interesting indeed, not everyone has a hi end phone ready for such performance needed. and really i think lba is a pc game in its core, not only through its gameplay but like i said, controls.

if you're planning on restarting the project, why not make it work on the pc to start with, get some better visuals and controls, and when you feel ready, port it over to the android version with more reduced visuals? just wanted to share my opinion, i would like to hear what you think.
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 2016-07-23, 20:19
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MevX View Post
to be honest, i would have preferred a normal pc version, to that of a android version, mainly because of better performance and better controls. While a android or ios version is very interesting indeed, not everyone has a hi end phone ready for such performance needed. and really i think lba is a pc game in its core, not only through its gameplay but like i said, controls.

if you're planning on restarting the project, why not make it work on the pc to start with, get some better visuals and controls, and when you feel ready, port it over to the android version with more reduced visuals? just wanted to share my opinion, i would like to hear what you think.
+1, I can't even play it. I have no android platform. Also PC is the first place to build imo and then port.
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 2016-07-25, 21:47
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 713
MevX, and Gravel, I have been, and will be working on this game on the computer first - it would be incredibly difficult to make this on a phone ( Is that even possible? ). MevX, I thought about that in the very beginning, and I will probably stick with doing higher graphics on my computer, and then porting over to Android with lower graphics. Gravel, I apologize for not having an IOS SDK, but hopefully I will in the future at some point. For both of your concern's, I understand that having LBA on computer makes more sense, but I have become so adapt to loving LBA, that I always thought it would be cool to play it without access to a computer.
__________________
I am a Quetch. However, I am a Mr. Quetch.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
android, remake, remaster, twinsen, wip

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fred revives "Popcorn" via iOS and Android versions Renesans General 24 2013-11-02 13:47
Wrestlefest 2K6 Tiebreaker: El "Shiva" Muerte v. Gustav "Vlad the Impaler" Sweden Double-J Off topic 43 2006-10-30 00:17
"Twinsen", "Twinsun", "LBA", etc. copyrights?? Exie General 24 2006-04-11 16:02
"Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure - Official Players Guide" ChaosFish General 18 2005-06-16 22:21
I say "Trium Planeta", you say "Trinium Placenta", let's call the whole thing of Double-J General 17 2002-07-31 22:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:23.


News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, the Magicball Network