Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2013-05-27, 02:35
Quetching a Mr.

Twinsun LBA Story Coder Help

I have had an idea in mind for some time now. I have been looking into several programs that can change many different aspects in both LBA 1 and 2. Finally, I have come to the conclusion, that I want to make a small game using all of the tools to edit LBA. This is very similar to what happened with the LBA Prequel, until the members who created it decided to cancel it, due to many things happening with families, etc.

Anyways, I want to make a small game. Maybe a game with 5 - 10 grids at most, a few cut scenes, and a few other things. So, it will be a small game overall. If I complete it, and if it is interesting enough, and worth playing, then I might as well post a download here on the MBN so all members can play it.

However, I need a little help. Is there anyone here on the MBN who can teach me how to, "Story Code" using the, "LBA Story Coder" program? I have been trying to teach this myself for a long time now. There are many things I understand. However, there are also still many things I do not understand. So, a little help would be nice, and I would appreciate that very much.

Finally, I have a couple questions:

1.) Would it be best for me to take the, "LBAWin" folder, and copy it to make my own game using the copied folder?

2.) Would it be best for me to use the, "LBAHqr" program and take the Hqrs' from the game, and change them to become my own?

If you are reading this, and you can't help me, I would appreciate it if you would NOT post a reply. However, if you are reading this and can help me, I would appreciated if you WOULD post a reply, and MAYBE we can private message each other back and forth. Whatever works best.

Thank you for reading my thread. I hope you can help me.
Old 2013-05-27, 05:06
New efforts! :)

By LBA Story Coder I hope you mean the integrated Story Coder in LBArchitect since Alexfont's program was incorporated inside Zink's. If you receive no responses I would recommend sending PMs to Zink and Alexfont regarding this problem, I believe they are the most indicated to answer your problems, Vindish and Renesans also know Story Coding.

Regarding your LBA files questions, to modify the game you'll have to edit the HQRs only. So, creating a backup of the HQRs while you modify them would be your best option. If by copying LBAWin folder you mean copying the whole game, then no, just HQRs and other files you might edit if you ever do it. Great luck on your project

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-05-27, 09:01
Master of Degree

As Necdilzor said, Story Coder is not developed any more, since its functionality has been incorporated into LBArchitect. For now only LBA1 is supported, and no tool exists that would allow you to edit LBA2 scenes. So you have to use LBA1.

My own preference is to copy the game directory under another name, so that if you modify something, you will still have the original version playable.

Two ways are possible for the new game creation:
1. Edit original HQRs - you can just edit the first 5 grids and scenes to suit your vision and remove connections to the other scenes. This approach has same disadvantages. You will have to set the proper libraries for your grids first (replace appropriate lba_bll entries with the ones you need). Also the rest of the original content will remain in the original files, so if you want to release them, they will be unnecessary large.

2. Edit maps as scenarios and generate new files from them. There is a small program in the LBArchitect suite, called Designer, that can take your 5 edited maps (saved as Scenario files, with HQS extension) and generate the lba_gri, lba_bll, lba_brk and scene files out of them, that will contain your creations only. You can read here something about the LBA1 grid organisation.

LBArchitect contains Scene reference help (in the help menu), that will tell you (almost) everything about LBA1 scenes and scripting.

To make your small game, you will also need to edit the text.hqr file (for dialogue texts), ress.hqr file (for intro images), and possibly other files, depending on your needs.

The topic is too heavy to explain everything at once. Just try it and ask here if you have questions about a specific part.

All LBA technical information goes in here -> LBA File Information Project

LBA Prequel Demo has been released! See our blog
Old 2013-05-27, 18:27
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necdilzor View Post
By LBA Story Coder I hope you mean the integrated Story Coder in LBArchitect since Alexfont's program was incorporated inside Zink's. If you receive no responses I would recommend sending PMs to Zink and Alexfont regarding this problem, I believe they are the most indicated to answer your problems, Vindish and Renesans also know Story Coding.

Regarding your LBA files questions, to modify the game you'll have to edit the HQRs only. So, creating a backup of the HQRs while you modify them would be your best option. If by copying LBAWin folder you mean copying the whole game, then no, just HQRs and other files you might edit if you ever do it. Great luck on your project
Yes, I am talking about LBA Story Coder that is used inside of LBArchitect by both Alexfont and Zink. I am certain I will have to send messages to both of them sometime. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who knows some or not all LBA Story Coding.

Looks like I just might actually be creating a small game sometime soon. So, I only need to edit the HQR's I know I am going to use. Thanks, Necdilzor. Good luck to you, too.
Old 2013-05-27, 18:35
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
As Necdilzor said, Story Coder is not developed any more, since its functionality has been incorporated into LBArchitect. For now only LBA1 is supported, and no tool exists that would allow you to edit LBA2 scenes. So you have to use LBA1.

My own preference is to copy the game directory under another name, so that if you modify something, you will still have the original version playable.

Two ways are possible for the new game creation:
1. Edit original HQRs - you can just edit the first 5 grids and scenes to suit your vision and remove connections to the other scenes. This approach has same disadvantages. You will have to set the proper libraries for your grids first (replace appropriate lba_bll entries with the ones you need). Also the rest of the original content will remain in the original files, so if you want to release them, they will be unnecessary large.

2. Edit maps as scenarios and generate new files from them. There is a small program in the LBArchitect suite, called Designer, that can take your 5 edited maps (saved as Scenario files, with HQS extension) and generate the lba_gri, lba_bll, lba_brk and scene files out of them, that will contain your creations only. You can read here something about the LBA1 grid organisation.

LBArchitect contains Scene reference help (in the help menu), that will tell you (almost) everything about LBA1 scenes and scripting.

To make your small game, you will also need to edit the text.hqr file (for dialogue texts), ress.hqr file (for intro images), and possibly other files, depending on your needs.

The topic is too heavy to explain everything at once. Just try it and ask here if you have questions about a specific part.
Yes, I was planning on making this game off of LBA1. Maybe someday we can create our own games out of LBA2. By the way, this is a lot of helpful information. If I get to the point where I really need help, and I am desperate, I might either private message you, or the other members that Necdilzor talked about. LBA Story Coder is my only big problem as of now. I know how to use most of the other programs very well. Thank you very much, Zink. I am well appreciated. I will private message you and or other members when I really need the help.
Old 2013-05-28, 02:25
Quetching a Mr.

For now, I will be testing my bricks, grids, and scenes using the HQRs for the original game. Anyways, I have bumped into a problem. The picture below is the prison, but I have changed it. I have my bricks, and my grid set for this entry.

My problem is that when I try and replace my scene file with the existing scene file for the prison in LBA Package Editor, the game sets an error message on my monitor when I test LBAWin. Here is how the game looks without the scene file. What is strange is that the coordinates for Twinsen were set correctly, even though it is the original prison scene, not mine.

I need to know how to replace my own scene with the existing scene. For some reason, the game will not run when I replace my scene with the existing scene. What am I doing wrong?

Old 2013-05-28, 05:19
New efforts! :)

Um, I believe you have some kind of damaged file when you save it or incompatible extension. It should be something like "scene.ls1", also try using Designer to create HQRs from scratch. One more note, be sure to backup your files ^^ Keep posting if you got any problems. Hmm... it could also be bad compression (not sure)?

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-05-28, 05:49
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necdilzor View Post
Um, I believe you have some kind of damaged file when you save it or incompatible extension. It should be something like "scene.ls1", also try using Designer to create HQRs from scratch. One more note, be sure to backup your files ^^ Keep posting if you got any problems. Hmm... it could also be bad compression (not sure)?
My scene is saved in the correct format. I don't think I have bad compression saved on the scene file. How do I check if it has bad compression or not? Also, what is, and where can I download, "Designer"? Thanks, Necdilzor. I will look more into my problem and see if I can fix it.
Old 2013-05-28, 08:42
Master of Degree

Designer is part of the LBArchitect suite (Builder, Designer and Factory).

There is too little detail to think of possible causes of your problem.

Also the picture doesn't look like the prison Scene. In the prison Scene you would not have the Tunic on you. Does the guard come on the platform when you 'squirm'?

You can open the prison area from your setup with LBArchitect, and see what the Scene really is (by the arrangement of zones and characters).

Old 2013-05-29, 01:09
Magic Ball Master

Check the script code from Twinsen. You may have copied from a previous scene and you can have some issues. For me, if the scene is completely new its better to create from scratch.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2013-05-29, 03:53
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Designer is part of the LBArchitect suite (Builder, Designer and Factory).

There is too little detail to think of possible causes of your problem.

Also the picture doesn't look like the prison Scene. In the prison Scene you would not have the Tunic on you. Does the guard come on the platform when you 'squirm'?

You can open the prison area from your setup with LBArchitect, and see what the Scene really is (by the arrangement of zones and characters).
My LBArchitect does not contain, "Designer". No wonder I can't find it. Maybe you can send me a link or zip containing, "Designer"? Sorry if I did not give enough detail. I have been very busy lately, and whenever I can post, I can only post so little.

It is the prison scene. I ran around and waited for the platform. Sure enough, the platform came over. However, there was no guard. I am guessing by the scripting of all of the actors, some actors fell to the, "Net" and deleted themselves upon impact.

Twinsen's placement was done by me. It was unexpected, because I did not expect him to start where he did. Where Twinsen starts is the location he starts in his cell. I think Twinsen's script might have some errors like you told me. I will look into the scene file when I can, but I can't right now.

Lastly, does Twinsen need to have, "FLAG" variables in his, "Move" script? Does it need to be completely empty if I decide to not have any flags located within? I know I will need flag variables eventually.

Again, thanks for the help, Zink.
Old 2013-05-29, 03:55
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
Check the script code from Twinsen. You may have copied from a previous scene and you can have some issues. For me, if the scene is completely new its better to create from scratch.
Alright. When I get the chance I will switch the script code for Twinsen. Sounds good. Again, thanks for the help, Alexfont.
Old 2013-05-29, 06:00
Quetching a Mr.

I created a completely new scene file. I saved it over the top of my last one, as my last one had almost nothing new. I saved my scene file right after I created it. I then opened up, "LBA Package Editor", and I replaced the prison with my grids, bricks, and my scene. However, LBAWin does not like my scene file. Do you guys know why this is? I didn't do anything, wrong I don't think. All I did was create a new file, and saved it immediately after.

How can I fix this problem that I have?
Old 2013-05-29, 09:05
Master of Degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
My LBArchitect does not contain, "Designer". No wonder I can't find it.
What LBArchitect version are you using? The one you should use (latest) is 1.0 beta 8. You can find the download link in my signature.

I think you are doing something wrong with the Scenes. Try this:
1. Extract the grid, library and scene you want to use to standalone files (gr1, bl1 and ls1).
2. Replace the very first entry in lba_gri, lba_bll and scene.hqr with your extracted files accordingly.
3. Open the set with LBArchitect-Builder and remove scripts of all Actors in the scene (leave only the END command in both scripts for each Actor). Then save the files overwriting the originals (there should be no script compilation errors at this point).
4. Try to run a new game (not a savegame).

Quote:
Lastly, does Twinsen need to have, "FLAG" variables in his, "Move" script? Does it need to be completely empty if I decide to not have any flags located within? I know I will need flag variables eventually.
I suppose you are confusing some things here, but if I am guessing right what you are talking about, you can leave the Track Script window empty (with END only) for the start. I also suggest you to read introduction to Scenes in the LBArchitect's help.

The terms "Flag" and "Move Script" were used in very early versions of LBArchitect, so it looks like you are a bit outdated .

Old 2013-05-30, 05:37
Quetching a Mr.

I just downloaded the new version of, "LBArchitect". I finally have the programs I need to create my game. This is a lot of useful information you have gave me. I am not used to the programs at all as of right now.

When I have the time, I will take the time to look at everything slowly, and make sure I know what each button, action, and element does before I try to make my game. Thank you so much Zink. I will see what I am able to do in the near future.
Old 2013-05-30, 09:45
Master of Degree

Good luck with the project

Old 2013-05-31, 01:56
Quetching a Mr.

This is not very important right now, but I would like to have a response anyways. Should I also download the beta versions of the other corresponding programs that are contained in your signature? I am just making sure. I don't want to use a beta program and realizing in the end that using a program that is not a beta with a program that is a beta program will create an error.

For example, "LBA Grid Builder Beta" with the original, "LBA Package Editor".

Also, thank you very much. I wish you good luck on what you are doing these days. I hope they turn out as you have wished.
Old 2013-05-31, 10:36
Master of Degree

Quote:
I don't want to use a beta program and realizing in the end that using a program that is not a beta with a program that is a beta program will create an error.
There is no such rule, don't worry

I always try to make my program so that they are compatible with each other and backwards. So a beta version is in most cases compatible with a previous regular version.

Actually, for my programs, 'beta' means one of two things (or both at the same time):
  1. The program lacks some features that are intended in the final version.
  2. The program has not been thoroughly tested (so a few bugs may be still present).
For the programs with not working features, crashing every five minutes, and so on, I use the suffix 'alpha', but those are not available publicly.

However, if you have not downloaded the LBArchitect, and want to do it now, you will have to wait a few days more. I had a hackers/spammers attack, and my sites will be unavailable until I clean up everything.

Old 2013-05-31, 16:42
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
There is no such rule, don't worry

I always try to make my program so that they are compatible with each other and backwards. So a beta version is in most cases compatible with a previous regular version.

Actually, for my programs, 'beta' means one of two things (or both at the same time):
  1. The program lacks some features that are intended in the final version.
  2. The program has not been thoroughly tested (so a few bugs may be still present).
For the programs with not working features, crashing every five minutes, and so on, I use the suffix 'alpha', but those are not available publicly.

However, if you have not downloaded the LBArchitect, and want to do it now, you will have to wait a few days more. I had a hackers/spammers attack, and my sites will be unavailable until I clean up everything.
That is good to know. That is too bad that hackers or spammers hacked or spammed your sites. I hope you will get everything cleaned up soon. Also, I finally got my grid and scene to work!

I think I am going to completely re-create the main house grid, though. I don't really like how it is. I mean I like it. But it just doesn't seem right to me, not to start out in the beginning of the game, anyways.

Things have been becoming so much easier for me now. I have been spending time to time on the beta programs, and they are making much more sense to me. My only big problem is to try and teach myself all of the, "Story Coding" for LBA now. I have learned most of the basics, but I need to go onto more of the complicated coding.

I will be gone for about an entire day. I am going hiking with my scout troop to Mt. San Jacinto today. It is the largest mountain in California in the United States. Should be a lot of fun. So, I won't be able to respond back until tomorrow.

Good luck with cleaning your sites.
Old 2013-06-07, 04:29
Quetching a Mr.

I am happy to announce that I seem to have learned most of, "LBA Story Coding" in its entirety! Thank you so much both, "Alexfount" and, "Zink"! At first, everything seemed to be so difficult. Everything looked so difficult. After many attempts at testing the, "Test" scenes, and making sure everything worked right, I both think and believe that I am finally ready to start creating my own LBA game story off the original LBA game.

I did not think I would see this day so soon!
Wish me luck, and thanks for your both of your help!

If I ever do have a problem, I will come back to both of you.
Old 2013-06-07, 12:55
Master of Degree

That's great news. Have a lot of fun with modding

If you spot any bugs in the LLBArchitect, the best way is to report it in the bugtracker.

Tags
adventure, big, code, story, twinsen