Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > The site and forum
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The site and forum Place your comments about the Magic Ball Network here. Talk here about the Magicball Network and the forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2013-08-18, 14:43
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Thread closures...

Mind if I ask, why are good discussion threads like this: http://forum.magicball.net/showthrea...126#post445126 being closed. Sure I can see somewhat of a conflict there, but why not just delete or split away any bad posts and keep the thread open?
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2013-08-18, 20:25
marcosmapf's Avatar
marcosmapf marcosmapf is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,371
I don't see why the thread was closed either. I started to write my comments before Darkflame did his, but I posted much after because I went to the kitchen to get something to eat. Why not doing just as Battler said, and delete the bad posts? Why are we wasting so many good threads because of such discussions?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2013-08-19, 03:17
Kitarii's Avatar
Kitarii Kitarii is offline
You what?!
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 6,730
Off-topic posts were purged once and the thread failed to get back on topic so it was closed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2013-08-19, 03:38
marcosmapf's Avatar
marcosmapf marcosmapf is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,371
But the topic on the thread won't get back instantly. You guys didn't even give it a hour for us to talk again, you just saw my post and closed the thread. And as I said before, I wrote it before Darkflame posted his, so there wasn't even reaction time for us ¬¬"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2013-08-19, 21:02
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Yeah, what marcosmapf said. Darkflame posted his post, then instantly marcosmapf posted his and Darkflame just assumed marcosmapf was aware of Darkflame's post, and went ahead to close it without even giving enough time for the thread to get back on topic.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2013-08-22, 01:45
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 23,836
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yes, perhapses marcosmapf didn't see my post....that post...but what about the other one?

There was quite a few days since my first warning thats just a few posts above, so why should I need to give two warnings at all?

Seems people are just desperate to get the last word of a argument.

---

That all said....if someone genuinely wants to discus Anime, you can start another thread. But keep the arguments out of it.
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2013-08-22, 02:46
marcosmapf's Avatar
marcosmapf marcosmapf is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
but what about the other one?
What other warning?
Seriously, I don't remember seeing any other warning. I must have skipped it when I was reading the ones that were posted after it
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2013-08-24, 01:34
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
That all said....if someone genuinely wants to discus Anime, you can start another thread. But keep the arguments out of it.
Except we can't, since the rules forbid restarting a discussion which was closed.

Quote:
Seems people are just desperate to get the last word of a argument.
Kindly stop assuming bad faith please. marcosmapf and I are voicing a genuine concern, so why not try to find a middle ground instead of meeting criticism with opposition?
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2013-08-24, 01:42
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
By the way, Darkflame's did post a first warning before his last one, and it was this:
Quote:
a) Please stay polite and ontopic.

b) Don't criticize other peoples grammar as if it helps your argument. Especially when you don't capitalize letters that should be in your reply.
However, it was A_LIPSTICK that continued the argument. Why wasn't her new post simply deleted and she warned to stop continuing arguments after everyone was warned to stop?

Also again, the option to split away bad posts from a thread exists, so the options weren't just everyone stops or the thread gets closed - the third option was splitting away the bad posts and warning those who posted them that action will be taken against them if they restart the argument again.
That way you'd actually get the people to behave properly (or leave, be that willingly or by force), rather than just move the same arguments from thread to thread which is what's happening here on the MBN these days.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2013-08-24, 02:54
Streg's Avatar
Streg Streg is offline
Or Emi (was StreGGy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Italy (Citadel Island)
Posts: 5,430
Send a message via MSN to Streg
why not just reopening that thread, since Jasiek posted something in there, even if it was closed? I actually like the list he posted.
__________________
YouTube channel:
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2013-08-24, 03:25
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Brasil
Posts: 7,046
Indeed that must've felt very sad for the thread creator. It's a perfectly innocent topic, and the thread is closed because of troublemakers - why should the thread be punished rather than the troublemakers?

I don't even know what happened but that's my logic. Peace out.
__________________

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2013-08-24, 03:53
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Streg: That would do too. I agree.

- SpaceGuitarist: What happened was, A_LIPSTICK made one of her usual remarks, J McKalling replied, and she refused to let go of the issue, to the point of her continuing the argument even after Darkflame's first warning.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2013-08-24, 04:05
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,553
Jack insulted her. She replied. Nothing extraordinary happened
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2013-08-24, 06:19
marcosmapf's Avatar
marcosmapf marcosmapf is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,371
So, we just had another of our common MBN discussions. What is the big deal about it? Split the bad posts in the thread and let us get back to the main topic. I don't see the point of closing such a good thread, its a realy big waste of creativity.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2013-08-24, 12:12
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Jesse: Whatever Jack did, was no excuse for her to reply the way she did. People should control their reactions. In any case, warnings should be given to both Jack and her, and posts deleted. Thread kept open. Or thread kept open and posts kept. But just, thread kept open.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2013-08-24, 13:26
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,553
That's not up to you. And her reply wasn't over the line
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2013-08-24, 13:28
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Jesse: Why do you always keep defending her? And sure, her first reply per se wasn't over the line, but her insisting on keeping the argument going, was.

Edit: And what is not up to me? To suggest how things should be done? Because that's what I did, I suggested how the problem should have been handled.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2013-08-24, 13:48
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,553
That is not how you phrase suggestions.

I didn't defend her when I banned her.
Why do you always attack her?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2013-08-24, 13:50
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Wait a second, so Jack's alleged attack was this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_McKalling
Maybe because it's you who don't understand the intrinsics of the plot.
It was successful to a lot of people, so it's only your opinion that its plot wasn't successfully carried.
How on Earth is that an attack? He simply stated that what A_LIPSTICK posted was just her opinion rather than the fact she was trying to pass it as (or so it seems to me, I might be interpreting it wrong, though).

In any case, Jack later further clarified his intent:
Quote:
But I was just pointing out you shouldn't confuse opinion with fact, Lipstick, that's all.
So again, where did Jack attack A_LISPTICK?

Then A_LIPSTICK replies with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_LIPSTICK
try doesn't, not don't. english motherfucker.
Which is a rather cheap stab at Jack's grammar. This kind of attitude is clearly inappropriate on a forum such as this one, whose target is people from the entire world.

Then Darkflame posted his warning, clearly referencing A_LIPSTICK's post and saying that should be stop. To which she replies with:
Quote:
it didn't help any argument, it was merely a rebuttal for the statement about how i have a lesser mental capacity because i didn't like a tv show. seriously, if you're going to insult someone's intellect, learn to fucking write basic english.
Which was: 1. Accusing Jack of insulting her mental intellect, which she never did.
2. Resorted to harsh language where it wasn't needed.

Then came Darkflame's second warning, which started with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
Lipstick - Jack said you didn't understand that plot. Thats all. Maybe he was completely wrong about that, but he didn't call you stupid, or "lesser intellect".
Theres lots of reasons for "not getting a plot". You even pointed out one yourself - not being the target group.
You feel offended because you take it in the worst context possible....but Jack feels the same as your attack on his grammar he feels means you dont take him seriously or listen to what he says.
So even Darkflame agreed that Jack didn't attack anyone and A_LIPSTICK just assumed bad faith with Jack's first post to her.

So, Jesse, want to explain to me where was Jack's attack and how was A_LIPSTICK's attitude not over the line?
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2013-08-24, 13:52
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
Why do you always attack her?
Right now, I'm not attacking her, I'm just pointing out she did not behave appropriate in that thread, something even Darkflame agrees with.
Edit: And no, A_LIPSTICK did not attack anyone in that thread, either. She was, however, unduly harsh and insisted on keeping the argument going even after Darkflame's first warning, which was also directed towards her.

Quote:
That is not how you phrase suggestions.
Why not? I used the correct verbs, "should" and all. But then again, I'm not a native English speaker so I may not fully know how to properly phrase a suggestion.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 2013-08-24, 13:55
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 23,836
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
By the way, Darkflame's did post a first warning before his last one, and it was this:
However, it was A_LIPSTICK that continued the argument. Why wasn't her new post simply deleted and she warned to stop continuing arguments after everyone was warned to stop?.
I shouldn't have to warn each person individually.
Nor should my warning just apply to the next person to go off topic.

NO ONE SHOULD HAVE GONE OFF-TOPIC AFTER THAT FIRST POST.

I also cant be expected top monitor threads 24/7. Its your responsibility to keep it on topic. EVERYONES. If one person goes off, that doesn't mean you all can and its just that first persons fault.

If someone goes off-topic after a warning ignore their post.
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 2013-08-24, 14:00
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Darkflame: And I absolutely agree with that. And noone should monitor threads 24/7. All I'm asking for is that when things like the one in that thread happen, rather than closing the thread, off-topic posts made after the last warning are split off and the on-topic discussion in the thread allowed to continue.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 2013-08-24, 17:07
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Wait a second, so Jack's alleged attack was this:
How on Earth is that an attack? He simply stated that what A_LIPSTICK posted was just her opinion rather than the fact she was trying to pass it as (or so it seems to me, I might be interpreting it wrong, though).

In any case, Jack later further clarified his intent:
So again, where did Jack attack A_LISPTICK?

Then A_LIPSTICK replies with this:
Which is a rather cheap stab at Jack's grammar. This kind of attitude is clearly inappropriate on a forum such as this one, whose target is people from the entire world.

Then Darkflame posted his warning, clearly referencing A_LIPSTICK's post and saying that should be stop. To which she replies with:
Which was: 1. Accusing Jack of insulting her mental intellect, which she never did.
2. Resorted to harsh language where it wasn't needed.

Then came Darkflame's second warning, which started with this:
So even Darkflame agreed that Jack didn't attack anyone and A_LIPSTICK just assumed bad faith with Jack's first post to her.

So, Jesse, want to explain to me where was Jack's attack and how was A_LIPSTICK's attitude not over the line?
So much text for nothing that went over the line.

In short, it's an insult to suggest someone didn't enjoy the show because they didn't understand the plot. That indirectly does insult someones intelligence. But it is so minor that I don't see it as an attack.

"english motherfucker" is a popular catchphrase and should not be read as "motherfucker" as it is a movie reference.

So there was nothing going on except offtopic posts that led it to be closed.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 2013-08-24, 19:06
marcosmapf's Avatar
marcosmapf marcosmapf is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,371
Jesse, sorry to interrupt you guys with something that is hardly related to me, but I seriously think that A_LIPSTICK didn't intend to use "english motherfucker" as a simple catchphrase. Cmon, I joined this forum only 5 months ago and I already know that that is not how she behaves... We all know what she meant but you are just trying to keep things cool. And telling that "don't understand the plot" is an insult is just ridiculous. Not understanding something means more lack of attention than intelligence, just like a suggestion to watch the anime again.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 2013-08-24, 20:09
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,318
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Jesse: There are tons of reasons why someone could be unable to understand a plot - unfamiliarity with the culture the plot is set in, not being of the target group, etc. I don't see how it's an insult to someone's intelligence.
Also please interpret the "english motherfucker" in context, reading A_LIPSTICK's other post which followed Darkflame's warning, in which she again criticized Jack's grammar, and again used the f-word, this time without a catchphrase.
She said, let me quote, "learn to write fucking English" - now saying this, on a forum whose target audience is the whole world, is very inappropriate.
And the same even goes "english motherfucker" - also because not everyone will get that it's a catchphrase and a movie reference. I myself still have no idea where it comes from.

Edit: And seeing marcosmapf's post above mine, makes it clear I'm not the only one here who thinks that way. So rather than telling us we're all wrong, Jesse, like you always do, why not realize not everyone sees things your way, and that things could have implications you may not see.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultimate Sketch thread! thread Xakep_INC Fan Art 593 2018-02-27 22:14
Online TV Show Recommendation Thread (Digital/Independent TV thread take 2) Darkflame Off topic 123 2012-11-19 19:24
I hate the dating thread thread Dino-Fly Off topic 6 2008-01-07 00:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:57.




News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, the Magicball Network