Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Music
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Music The place for all your music creations

Old 2021-01-25, 16:08
strange dreamer

Neko/Jesse's thread

Alright, I am throwing the ball back to you as well.
Please list us your best stuff here for a review / feedback / our enjoyment !

Old 2021-01-25, 22:48
Neko

The Very best for me is Rain Waltz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk1Fi0QEjjo
I wrote this for my son. I just think the recording could have been a little better/slower in hindsight.

And I really like oceanide, even though this is a older version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJRfwem1WXw

Also like flower waltz, which is recent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RXo-EZdBEI

From the very very old times I still love Sundown For Arabia 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fdrSyBGHw

From olden times I also really Create This World 2004, I have a hard time recording this with modern samples, as it loses its power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSRTbTBuQgY

A little more recent, Girl in the blue forest 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QELcNY2hSs0

I guess that's it! It's hard to choose
Old 2021-01-26, 10:27
strange dreamer

Rain Waltz - Really good job. Did your wife draw the cover art in watercolour? I really like this. It sounds classic, but it's playful at the same time. Like a kid chasing a butterfly. Is that recorded by a pianist with sheet music that you have provided? I think the recording sounds perfect.

Oceanide - Nice.

Flower Waltz - I prefer the Rain Waltz, but this one is beautiful in its own different way... reminds me of the innocent vibe of soundtracks of NFBC 70's animations, which I used to watch in my childhood (waltz start around 1:00).

Sundown For Arabia - Wow! Lots of things going on.

Create This World - This has some of inspiration from LBA1's soundtrack, for sure. One could even dare say it is a fan music.

The Girl in the Blue Forest - It takes a long time to pick up... then it lasts so shortly (the moment with the drums and upbeat mood), then has a long end... I would have perhaps shortened the intro and ending and extend the middle part. But that's just me. Very mysterious sounding. Why is the forest blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
It's hard to choose
I know right! Which is why for the moment I only picked 3 in my own thread... those are 3 of my personal favorites, but it would take a lot of time to "objectively" separate the best work considering a broad spectrum of audience and all that. We always want to show all of our sides, right??

And my best work is yet to come... I have never really had the chance to dive myself and dedicate into being in a recording studio full-time and record music the way I want (with vocals, drums, bass, guitars, flute, percussion, etc), so I am so far "limited" to electronic production which was never really my initial goal as a composer - but that's fine, that's the path life had to take me, and I have learned so much in musicality, playing real instruments better than I did before and growing up as a person, so when I get the chance I can record the songs the way they're truly meant to be.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2021-01-26 at 10:39.
Old 2021-01-26, 23:47
Neko

Thanks! Rain waltz is indeed recorded by a pianist!
My wife did the graphics, I will ask how she did that
Old 2021-01-27, 02:39
inharmonic explorer

Hi Jesse,

Rain Waltz - I really enjoyed this piece. I loved the interplay and polyphony of the parts, and the mode you first use at 0:33 which also returns about three quarters of the way in, which isn't in the "regular" main key signature. On that note, I appreciated the somewhat unexpected key change/climb at 2:09. I must say having a real pianist play your work makes a huge difference, and gives your compositions the sound they truly deserve! But I understand how impractical it can be to record a real piano (in terms of space / depending on our living situation.)

Oceanide - This was also enjoyable, once I got used to the sampled piano. It would be interesting to see this receive the treatment of a live player who is utilising full dynamic and sonic range of an acoustic instrument! This wasn't my favourite of the shared pieces at first because of how the instrument sound affects the slower sections, but from about 1:13 with all the flourishes and harmonic choices it won me over. I'm sure a new expressive performance may make all the difference for me. But for others it probably won't make so much of a difference and this is good as it is.

Flower Waltz - This is also lovely. Because it is somewhat more intricate and playful and 'busy' than the above piece, it seems to matter less that it is a sampled piano. Beautiful work! (It also reminds me of a piano waltz I had to learn for Grade 5, in my distant memory...But I can't quite remember the name.)

Sundown For Arabia - Great! Fantastic epic feel, and I always like the use of this scale. You know the use of the sounds you've got going on here is making a comeback? People are purposefully using software from the period to capture a certain mood. I can see this having a whole new lease of life should a fresh release of it be pushed. ;-) Reminds me of video game soundtracks I love.

Create This World - I agree with Roy. This is close in mood to certain LBA pieces, particularly the LBA1 opening. Really enjoyed it and, like the above piece, the way it reminded me of certain game soundtracks.

The Girl in the Blue Forest - This was very sweet. I like the chord sequence and the winding flute-like synth melody. It's atmosphere was so childlike and lovely to inhabit. My only struggle was with the drum loop at times - but that is surely a taste thing.

Thank you so much for sharing these. I have now subscribed to your YouTube channel. ;-)

Last edited by CS2x; 2021-01-27 at 19:19.
Old 2021-01-27, 19:10
strange dreamer

These 3 threads here in fan music are becoming very special as this interaction grows. I will get back here at a later time to give a proper response to everything, but just wanted to say that this was a really cool idea, and its nice how not only we are discovering new music but also knowing eachother a lot better than before.

Old 2021-01-27, 19:54
Neko

Yes, because you just take a little extra time for each one
Old 2021-02-03, 21:00
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS2x View Post
I must say having a real pianist play your work makes a huge difference, and gives your compositions the sound they truly deserve! But I understand how impractical it can be to record a real piano (in terms of space / depending on our living situation.)
True!!!
A huge difference. Maybe that's why I got fond of this one.
A live, real instrument, adds another layer of life into any track.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2021-02-19, 23:36
Neko

I have a new one!

Not a real pianist yet on this one, but I like how it sounds
Old 2021-02-21, 20:15
inharmonic explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
I have a new one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaDZ...ature=youtu.be

Not a real pianist yet on this one, but I like how it sounds
I really genuinely enjoyed this Neko, especially as it developed and grew. Beautiful sense of thematic structuring and build and resolution here! Also I liked the harmonic developments from around the 4 minute mark. And it does sound good even as it is, although of course I would love to hear an incredible and sensitive pianist take it on - particularly the opening would have a special and more dynamic flavour with a musician interpreting the phrasing. Well done!

Last edited by CS2x; 2021-02-21 at 20:22.
Old 2021-05-21, 16:35
Neko

Oceanide, played by a real pianist:

https://open.spotify.com/album/3wPEmvIidMDoimkTg8lR1p

it sounds a bit muffled at these speeds, the arpeggio's, but i can forgive that
Old 2021-05-21, 20:27
Magic Level: Green Ball

Awesome!
Old 2021-05-23, 18:29
Neko

thanks! glad you like it