Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2011-04-07, 07:32
Little Bastard Warrior.

LBA on OSX

As we all know, a lot of people have one big issue when deciding if they want to buy a Macbook: "Does it run LBA?".

Now we can say "Yes, yes it does." *insert single tear*.

Boxer a beautiful DOS emulator for OSX.

Most DOS games install and run fantastically. LBA is giving me some trouble with sound (Can't get voices to work) and you need an image of the CD to bypass the copy protection.

But it's running on OSX and that's what counts.

Old 2011-04-07, 12:42
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Cool stuff...we really should compile all these methods together somwhere. Like a global FAQ for getting the game working.
Old 2011-04-07, 13:02
Little Bastard Warrior.

How many are there? LBAwin, Dosbox, Boxer and... what do linux folk do?

I guess we could count iOS, Android and PSP aswell? And did somebody once get it working on an XBOX?
Old 2011-04-08, 12:30
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberg-Ares View Post
How many are there? LBAwin, Dosbox, Boxer and... what do linux folk do?

I guess we could count iOS, Android and PSP aswell? And did somebody once get it working on an XBOX?
Both games run perfectly with WINE according to the official site... I'll be testing it myself soon as I've made the switch from Windows. Does Boxer do LBA2?
Old 2011-04-08, 15:21
Little Bastard Warrior.

Well LBA 2 is a Windows 95/98 game right? and Boxer is a DOS emulator, so, no.

Sadly. Extremely sadly.
Old 2011-04-08, 15:41
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Well LBA 2 is a Windows 95/98 game right? and Boxer is a DOS emulator, so, no.

Sadly. Extremely sadly.
What the hell are you talking about LBA2 runs on DOS
Old 2011-04-08, 19:42
Polly parrot

Yep, it was a time when games were made both for DOS and Windows.
Old 2011-04-08, 20:35
Lemonhead

Aye, Win9x be a mag'cal picturey ship 'pon a ocean o' text.

(GUI built on DOS)
Old 2011-04-08, 21:24
Little Bastard Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaka151 View Post
What the hell are you talking about LBA2 runs on DOS
fuck what? Getting right on that!
Old 2011-04-09, 19:30
Magic Ball Master

Interesting!! I just got a mac few days ago, so will be really cool to have LBA on it.

Installing Boxer right now...

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-04-10, 01:04
Magic Ball Master

Cyberg, I manage to get voices working, as well as all FLA movies.

While at Boxer games library, right click at LBA package and choose "Show Package Contents". Than browse the C:harkdisk/LBA. Mount LBA CD and copy "VOX" and "FLA" folders into this Boxer package directory. Start the game and you will have all voices and movies.

Only thing missing yet are the CD Tracks, but I'm trying right now to get it work.

Btw, the game is running pretty well, really nice. I just notice Boxer is an extension of DOS Box.

Edit: Just get LBA2 working as well, but working directly with the CD. Making an image ins't working for me.

Last edited by xesf; 2011-04-10 at 01:32.
Old 2011-04-10, 19:05
Magic Ball Master

Just manage to get LBA1, LBA2, Time Comando and LBA1 floppy disk version running without any kind of troubles. Plus all saved in disk (boxer osx packages) without the needs of CDs.

The trick to get CD versions working is to create a CD image in IMG format (having *.img and *.cue files extensions - I've created mine years ago in Windows using Clone CD if I'm not mistaken) and use the original CDs to install the game under Boxer.
Note, boxer won't recognize IMG files while importing games, but after the installation finished with the original cd, its possible to open boxer's Inspector properties of the game and drag the *.CUE file under Drivers tab. Then, right click in cd folder you drag and choose "Include in gamebox". The CD image will be copied correctly in mixed mode (data plus music tracks) with the suffix of ".cdmedia". If its properly installed and running you wont need any more the img/cue image files and you can remove it from your hdd.

Hope it helps.

I'll create an installation step-by-step guide if needed.

Old 2011-04-10, 20:00
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hi all! Long-time lurker (I check here about twice a year looking, hopefully, for news about LBA3) and first-time poster. I'm trying to get LBA2 working on Boxer without the CD (I've lost three copies of the game). About 4 years ago I ripped a .iso of my third CD as they were proving harder and harder to track down.

How do I get the game working on Boxer with this .ISO?
Old 2011-04-10, 21:57
Little Bastard Warrior.

Anyone know of an OSX way of turning .cdr or .dmg into .img?

Can't find a way...
Old 2011-04-10, 22:24
Magic Ball Master

My best bet will be Roxio Toast, but I don't have yet this one to try.

Anyway, you shouldn't convert .cdr/.dmg files to .img, you should create .img directly from CD. I notice .cdr/.dmg files aren't saved in mixed mode (data + cd tracks).

Old 2011-04-10, 22:29

Quote:
Anyone know of an OSX way of turning .cdr or .dmg into .img?

Can't find a way...
There's an easy way to turn a .dmg into a .iso. It might be easier to try with that?

Using Terminal type in:

hdiutil convert yourfile.dmg -format UDTO -o yourfile.iso

That creates a .cdr which you can then use mv to make yourfile.iso:

mv yourfile.iso.cdr yourfile.iso
Old 2011-04-10, 22:31
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergeorge
How do I get the game working on Boxer with this .ISO?
I haven't tried with a ISO file but try to drag the file directly in Boxer, or choose Import option in Boxer. If its a recognized file boxer will automatically search for an installation file. Than you just need to follow on screen instructions.

Old 2011-04-10, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
I haven't tried with a ISO file but try to drag the file directly in Boxer, or choose Import option in Boxer. If its a recognized file boxer will automatically search for an installation file. Than you just need to follow on screen instructions.
Ah, no, sorry–it installs correctly but throws up the "Insert CD" screen. I've tried various no-cd patches but they all seem to be for the Windows version (rather than DOS).

I think your observation about the image being saved in mixed mode is quite astute. Do .img files save in mixed mode?
Old 2011-04-10, 23:04
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergeorge View Post
I think your observation about the image being saved in mixed mode is quite astute. Do .img files save in mixed mode?
Yes, at least when you have the *.cue file together with it. In Boxer you can only drag the cue file but it will grab the img and create a folder in the package with both files.

Old 2011-04-12, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
Yes, at least when you have the *.cue file together with it. In Boxer you can only drag the cue file but it will grab the img and create a folder in the package with both files.
Hmmm, it's still not working for me. Looks like I'll need to burn a disc or find one.
Old 2011-04-12, 17:36

So I emailed Alun (creator of Boxer) to ask about BIN/CUE and LBA2 specifically. His response was incredibly helpful:

Quote:
LBA 1 and 2 have finicky copy-protection schemes that can only be fooled by a BIN/CUE disc image that has audio tracks; BIN/CUE images are the only image format that can store both data and audio for mixed-mode CDs.

As it happens, I'm preparing the next Boxer update which will rip physical CDs to ISO (if they're data-only) or BIN/CUE (if they're mixed-mode), which will fix the copy-protection for games like this. I expect to release this update sometime this week.

However, if your original CDs are too scratched to read, that won't do you much good. Instead you'll need to find a BIN/CUE image of the game that someone else has made. Abandonware-france.org has the CD versions of both LBA1 and 2 for download as BIN/CUE images:

http://www.abandonware-france.org/lt...=732&fic=liens (LBA1)
http://www.abandonware-france.org/lt...=660&fic=liens (LBA2)

Note however that a) the site is in French though the games are multilingual, b) their download links don't work in Safari so you'll need to download them with Google Chrome, and c) you'll need a tool like TheUnarchiver (http://osx.iusethis.com/app/theunarchiver) in order to extract the .rar and .7z files they package games in.

Then, once you get past THOSE hurdles, there's another problem: Boxer can't actually import games from BIN/CUEs, because OS X can't read the filesystems of such images (even though DOSBox can) and Boxer relies on that in order to locate installers.

Fortunately though, if you've already installed the game from ISO, then all you need to do is delete the ISO from inside the gamebox and replace it with the BIN and CUE files you've downloaded, then Boxer will use the new image and the game should be happy. You can access the contents of the gamebox by right-clicking on it and choosing "Show package contents".
Old 2011-04-12, 20:26
Magic Ball Master

Good to know he will simplify the process by adding image creation. I will make a guide when this new version went out.

About the methods he described its exactly the hints I gave in posts above, so its good to know I didn't do something wrong.

Btw, you shouldn't post those links in the forum. We are not allowed yet to post them freely.

Old 2011-04-12, 23:39
Polly parrot

Too bad, you can have a look at the manuals there...
Old 2011-04-25, 12:57
Magic Ball Master

Just made yesterday the guide to get LBA running on OSX. The thread its now sticky in this forum.

Let me know your feedback.

Old 2011-05-01, 08:08
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Good work Alexfont!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jast View Post
Both games run perfectly with WINE according to the official site... I'll be testing it myself soon as I've made the switch from Windows. Does Boxer do LBA2?
Yep, I can tell you it's true. I went thru both games with wine some years ago.
Spoiler:
Also, did you know both JKII and JKA work with wine? :P