Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic > Member Announcements
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Member Announcements Announcements like "I'm leaving", "I'm new", "Happy Birthday", etc. goes in here.

Old 2009-02-13, 06:46
TIW

UFO Questions for old timers

I've already posted a brief introduction on the Zero Punctuation news thread. I'm kinda curious, though, as to what happened to the other people from the times of World of Little Big Adventure, before the Magic Ball Network. Though new people can post their thoughts too, of course! We don't need names or anything personal, just what you feel comfortable saying.

(I realise that this information may already be all over the forums, but maybe it's time to update your stories!)

So, firstly I'd like to know what's your story?

I'm 27 now, which I think is roughly the same age as some of the other originals. I'm originally from Melbourne, Australia. After I faded away from these LBA communities, I finished high school, did a year of work, studied International Business at university, did one semester in Seoul, South Korea, completed my degree, lived in Sydney for six months, and finally moved to Japan, where I continue to live. I've been here most of 3 years now and will stay at least one more.

I wrote for a little while on the Nintendo fansite Zentendo, but dropped that after a while, to focus on other areas.

How did you come across LBA1 and 2?

I think LBA is what got me into action adventure games; I can't remember many I played before that. I played the demo once, and then my friend and I bought the game, paying A$10 each. It was called Relentless in Australia. Normally I would only play shareware through until the end and move onto another game, but I really liked this one. He completed it way before I did, but I thought it was simply awesome. Later, my disc scratched but I bought a copy of Little Big Adventure (note: not Relentless) online to replace it, and I hope my parents still have it in their house.

I was so excited for LBA2, buying magazines that had previews of it. I even bought the import Asian edition of it (Twinsen's Odyssey, as it was called) because it came out a few days before LBA2. I regretted that later because the Australian packaging had a cool flap and more art on the box than the one I first had.

Ultimately, I liked the 2nd one a lot, but never quite as much as the first. The new controls and items were awesome, but I didn't like the character models (neither in-game nor movies) or the music quite as much as the first, and the atmosphere (probably because of those two reasons) didn't quite live up to the first. Outdoor areas on Zeelich just looked a little ugly, whereas no places in LBA1 had that kind of thing.

What have you played since?

I owned a SNES back in the day, but only 3 games. After that, I only really played PC games for a long time. I liked these series most of all: Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Empires, Star Wars: Jedi Knight and Myst.

At one stage, my friend lent me his Nintendo 64, both Zelda games and a bunch of others, and I got hooked; those games are almost as awesome as LBA.

But I didn't get interested enough in games to own any consoles again until I heard about Nintendo's "Revolution". When I heard that, I thought, "ooh, lightsaber!" But I got more interested, because of the Virtual Console and the fact that it played all GameCube games too. I bought one, and a whole bunch of Wii and GC games, and am content. I imagine that by the next generation of consoles, I might buy an Xbox or PlayStation, but for now, I'm content with my Wii.

Anything else you want to say?

I'll be visiting my friends and family in Melbourne next week. High on my list is the need to find those two old games and at least make ISO files to take back with me to Japan. After rejoining this community, I just have to play them! Also, if I can find my old sheets, I could perhaps finish that walkthrough I had made. Just for kicks.

Nice to meet all you guys again, old and new. (I guess if you joined after 1999, you fall into the "new" catgeory!)
Old 2009-02-13, 08:15

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Will reply properly when I have time. For now I'd like to say how interesting this all is. Seems like you're one of those types that lived all over. From Australia to Japan. Bizzare stuff. (Having said that, I moved to the States from Belarus when I was 10).

I played Jedi Knight but have to say I love Outcast for the saber combat. Age of Empires is a damn good series, the second one being my favorite. Unfortunately the company that made it (which used to be a couple of miles from my house in Dallas, Texas) got shut down by Microsoft.

A few games I recommend if you haven't played already: Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil. That's about as close to LBA as you'll ever get.
Old 2009-02-13, 11:03
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hey there wuk, I'm from Australia too, though not originally.
I agree with Lightwing, moving from Australia to Japan is bizzare.. but, whatever suits you I guess

I saw my brother playing LBA2 back in '97 or 98 [This is back when I lived in England]. I played it and instantly got hooked. I don't know how many times I've played it through but it is certainly in the double digits. A few years ago I played LBA1 which I didn't find quite as good but enjoyed it thoroughly nevertheless (It's the same with most game series, the one you play first is the best for you)

I love most adventure games, both older and younger than LBA. I also enjoy Age of Empires, my favourite being a draw between AOE2 and AOM [mythology, although technically this is not part of the same series]. Lightwing, what is this about Microsoft shutting it down???

And you can throw me any action game that got 7 or above on Gamespot and guarantee I'll enjoy it - I recently finished COD4, a bit late I know but I only just got an xbox again.

I'm new here but don't want that to be a barrier for me contributing to projects. Anything to do with LBA, I'm in.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:45
TIW

I bought Beyond Good and Evil on the GC for my Wii; it's great. Unfortunately, Psychonauts was never released on Nintendo systems. I could get it for the PC, but it feels like it should be a console game. Jedi Outcast and AoE2 were the best of that series, I agree.

Jack, haven't you been keeping up with the times? Ensemble Studios is being shut down by Microsoft, and their developers are forming two new studios. And Gamespot reviews are only good if the reviews came out before late 2007. Then they started firing some of their best editors, and the rest of the good ones left in disgust.
Old 2009-02-13, 13:50
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
what's your story?

I'm a 3D Artist / Java freelance programmer mainly working at the moment developing online ARG-like games.
I also have many of my own projects (www.darkflame.co.uk), includeing a review website (www.rateoholic.co.uk), which I'm currently updating.

I played the demo of LBA2 of a cover CD after seeing it advertised, then I just had to seak out and buy the other games. Already being a zelda fan, it was clearly a must have game.
I first contacted the forum ages and ages ago while at a cousins when I sent El some very poor 3D renders, I think I joined a year later or so (when we had internet ourselfs :P).

Just about every action adventure there is.
Almost all the Zelda games, naturaly. (just excludeing 1 gbc one, and the CDi rubbish)
Beyond Good and Evil, which is lovely just named a bit wrong.
Currently playing Okami, which is also great, but could do with a bit more puzzles.

Apart from that other games I love include Prince of Persia Sands Of Time (+Two Thrones), Mario & Luigi SuperStar Saga (I actually think this is one of Nintendo's best work), Portal and Mario Galaxy.
The last two specificaly because I love games with crazy physics.
I also really enjoyed Metroid Corruption, despite not being a FPS fan. Nice atmosphere and enviromental artwork.

I'm working my arse of on so many things at the moment and you distract me with a load of questions!
ARrrr!
:P
Old 2009-02-13, 18:38

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuk View Post
Jack, haven't you been keeping up with the times? Ensemble Studios is being shut down by Microsoft, and their developers are forming two new studios. And Gamespot reviews are only good if the reviews came out before late 2007. Then they started firing some of their best editors, and the rest of the good ones left in disgust.
Are you talking about the developers that get laid off or the ones that transfer to Microsoft HQ. Because if the folks that are fired are forming new studios (especially in Dallas) that's great news for me. I'm a 3d artist by trade and Ensemble studios was valuable work opportunity.
Old 2009-02-14, 00:43
Master of Science & Magic

What's your story?
Made World of LBA during high school. Went to the university and started the MBN. Received my Master of Science title for Computer Science. Currently working for the university as research associate. Worked for Epic Games a couple of times. Did some other odd jobs (webdesign and other stuff). Worked on various software projects (including game mods, mostly for Unreal Tournament games).

This review:
http://www.magicball.net/image_galle...ited_1995_03_1
http://www.magicball.net/image_galle...ited_1995_03_2

Over 150 video games.

Join the church of Killzone 2 (in case you don't get it, listen to episode 18 of Idle Thumbs)
Old 2009-02-14, 04:05
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
What's your story?
Man, The Incredible WUK! This is surely a surprising and great comeback! I think I almost joined in after you disappeared, so you might not remember me. But your walkthrough was very well-known. I also think that we had some kind of angry e-mail exchange about 10 years ago, is that correct?

But I first turned up at the mb22619 in the summer of 1998. Then I was 12 years old, looking for info on how to get through the Temple of Bu in LBA1. I had a crappy LBA site for a couple of years, the LBA Super Site.

Since these times, I've completed middle school, went through high school, and I am soon done with my university studies in Lund (political science and economics). Many people have I met during those years, and many of them are long gone. I've seen and done many things and then forgotten about many of them. 10½ years is an extremely long time.

But throughout all those years, this community has always been only a click on a computer away, and it has taught me much about other cultures and it has helped my English writing skills very much!

When I'm not into my education, I watch football and listen to (British, mostly, especially Oasis) music. And follow the political and economic developments around the world.

Read about LBA1 in some PC mag in ~1996, on some article on budget games. Bought it in -98 when I read that some mail order company were selling it very cheap in an ad. Then I thought it was fucking ace, so I bought LBA2 a couple of weeks later!

Mostly sports games, and Age of Empires II and Age of Mythology. Owned a GBA for a while also. Today, I don't really play computer games, more than some occasional Pro Evolution Soccer match versus some housemates. I am also playing a web-based football manager game, hattrick, since 2002. But I haven't been very active there recently.

Nice thread!
Old 2009-02-14, 06:05
TIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
Are you talking about the developers that get laid off or the ones that transfer to Microsoft HQ. Because if the folks that are fired are forming new studios (especially in Dallas) that's great news for me. I'm a 3d artist by trade and Ensemble studios was valuable work opportunity.
Oh, here the news is finally confirmed: http://kotaku.com/5153507/ex+ensembl...orm-new-studio. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Sweden View Post
Man, The Incredible WUK! This is surely a surprising and great comeback! I think I almost joined in after you disappeared, so you might not remember me. But your walkthrough was very well-known. I also think that we had some kind of angry e-mail exchange about 10 years ago, is that correct?
Angry e-mail exchange? No recollection of that at all! Want to start one?

I wonder why LBA players like Age of Empires so much. Is it the isometric view? Heh.
Old 2009-02-14, 20:22
Idyllic + whimsical

What's your story?
Now this is a story all about how my life got twist turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there and tell you how I became the prince of the site "MBN".

No.

Anyway I used to visit the World of Little Big Adventure (that Flash intro used to be really impressive), occasionally read the Twinsen/Twinsun Tribune and another forum, can't remember its name. I recall seeing a message about a super LBA site coming up, a few months later I visited WoLBA again and found myself in the MBN. I have a vague memory of seeing your name around.

Nowadays I have a job in a bank, planning to start some higher education next fall, haven't really decided yet (it might seem odd for foreigners that I'm nearly 23 years old and not studying yet, but I did 3 years years of compulsory military service).

I came across a review of LBA2 in a computers section of a newspaper, a few weeks later I flew to the UK and got it there. I had some issues with my computer and pretty much took advantage of other people in order to make a bit progress in the game (played it on a total of like 4 computers on my first session, always copied the saves on a floppy).
Sometime later it was my birthday and I went to a computers store with my mom, intending to get Crash Bandicoot 3 for my birthday, but then I saw a PS1 version of LBA1 on the shelf and I just had to get it.

Ummm...a lot. Got familiar with the Metal Gear Solid series, now my favorite game series. Got a PS2 and still occasionally played my PS1 version of LBA1 on it. Thinking of getting a PS3 after the planned price drop this summer.

Follow your own path, you're a big boy now.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2009-02-24, 03:16
TIW

Found my old CDs!

I'm in Australia, visiting my parents at the moment. And just when I thought I'd searched everywhere, and was giving up hope, I found my old LBA1&2 CDs! So I'll be booting them up, trying to get them to work in Windows Vista when I get back. Any tips on getting that to happen? I can use virtual machines, etc. if I need to.
Old 2009-02-24, 11:30
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Both games works for most people on Vista 32-bit.

Just remember, LBAWin for LBA1 and you'll most certainly need the very common funnyfrogs patch for LBA2.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2009-02-24, 12:58
TIW

Thanks! Looking forward to it. I just saw those files in the Download section.
Old 2009-02-24, 13:06
TIW

Found this too!

I found my old handwritten notes from the walkthrough for LBA1 I never completed, about 10 or more years ago. Like all good walkthroughs, it was to be more of a full reference guide than just a way to complete the guide. But I was very thorough and exhaustive, writing down notes on prices in every shop, every door on each map, etc. I wonder if all this stuff is already on Encyclopedia Twinsunica. I can't tell because Twinsunica appears to be down. Is that just temporary, or an ongoing problem?

Anyway, have a look at a sample of the things I wrote, if you're keen!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040686.jpg‎
Views:	85
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	7928  
Old 2009-02-24, 13:16
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
really nice.. must have been a good moment when you found your only notes... that Deja vu feeling!
Old 2009-02-25, 15:36
Magic Ball Master

The Twinsunica has connection problems sometimes, try to reconnect or try it later and it will most likely work. I can access it right now.
Old 2009-02-27, 00:56
The return of

what's your story?
Quite complicated. Born in Saudi, in seaside mountainous region famous for being over ridden with monkeys (literally), moved to the UK a few months later where I remained till the age of 5. Returned to Saudi where I spent the next 10 years of my life discovering LBA, WOLBA, and ofcourse the MBN. I continued high school in London, before studying BA(Hons) Computer Animation at Bournemouth Uni.

Upon graduating I worked almost Imediatly in Dubai for 6 months, then returned once again to the UK, and am currently working in the gaming industry here as a Vissual Effects artist.

I am 21 years old, married, and straight (just incase JJ is reading)!

Saudi arabian homes have retarded electric systems. We have sockets from all regions of the world, plus there are always 2 sockets next to each other, one 110volts, and the other 220 volts, labelled (usually) in red. However one day I had come to plug in my pc and mistook the 220 for the 110, and it went poof!

My father had taken it for repairs, and when he brought it back he got some random game, all i remember was a turtle on the seashore, was no fun. We returned it, and my sister picked out LBA. I remember being facinated with it at first sight, and having been sent to bed before i could get a chance to play it. My sister and I played it a bit everyday for a month and a half, till she got bored and I continued on. Good days, I was gripped by it for a good 2 months, and upon completeing it was lifeless enough to have completed it a good 25+ times (no exagerration).

I made a habit of completeing it a few times a year, and as soon as i would reach the end i would restart it. I couldnt do that now, i havnt completed it in 3 years at least.

I discovered world of lba in 98 when internet was first introduced to saudi. I was never active on the forums, but in 99 I became active after beginning telephone contacts with Fred Raynal, whom i then visited in 06 after a publicity campaign waged by the MBN.

I had a playstation and dreamcast over the years. Dreamcast was definatly one of my more pleasent gaming periods. I used to play games like toy commander, crazy taxi etc...

But mostly pc games. I fell in love with operation flashpoint for a while, and the longest journey&dreamfall, half life, COD, BG&E, GOW1&2, Halo (lots of shooters actually). But i usually find it takes a good adventure game to really get me excited.

I currently own a 360&PS3, playing Little Big Planet, and COD5(multi player) at the moment.

Currently working at snails pace to get an LBA news site back up again, although married working life means I have little time to devote to the community as i did in the past.