Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Administration > Graveyard > LbaX
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LbaX LbaX is an unofficial non profit sequel of Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 (homepage)

Old 2005-01-04, 00:53
Gobbles the bush turkey

ok. Do you mean these?
Attached Files
File Type: txt LBAX Loading Map Log File.txt‎ (642 Bytes, 192 views)
Old 2005-01-04, 13:53
Look beyond reality.

Yes I do mean that one.
But it can be (I don't have any experience) helpfull for Mad_aeon, becouse than he can sort out what goed wrong in our txt files, and what runs good in your txt files.

Another genious idea of Bot13 this time...

Can you just post some other txt files (I believe there are 3 of 4 txt files with the game, can you post them please?)
Old 2005-01-04, 13:57
Gobbles the bush turkey

Sure, here they are:
Attached Files
File Type: zip texts.zip‎ (2.3 KB, 191 views)
Old 2005-01-04, 16:19
Do the evolution.

Horadrim, I've checked the models that are in the new demo, I like them all a lot,
it's a lot of good work. I think the animation is good, very much like the orginal.
But i think there a bit "too much, too fast" I thnik that twinsens moves a bit too fast(on the player stance selection screen) and a bit too high, And I also noticed that your models have less polygons than mine, so I think that it's going to take ma a lot longer to animate
Old 2005-01-04, 17:32
Look beyond reality.

does the game works properly on your system then Jasiek?
Or are you commenting on the 'ctrl' screen
Old 2005-01-04, 17:54
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
Jasiek,the animations` speed and how high Twinsen jumps are depending from Davide`s coding.The anmations are all made (as it must be for all engines) on one place.I mean that Twinsen "runs" on one place,without going anywhere.The jump animation depends on how high the character cube will rise and this is matter of coding in the engine,not my fault
About the sweeping that Gobbles mentioned-this is not my fault again.Some of the animations (like walking,running and etc) are containing precursory animation (like when Twinsen turns his right leg aside and bows his back backside before he starts to run) and loop (the run loop for example).It seems that mad_aeon didn`t noticed that and used the animations as loops,which is not correct.So I think that you all now understand that the animations are correctly made,i`ve tested them thousands of time in a tester that`s using the LBAx engine.
Old 2005-01-04, 18:02
Do the evolution.

I'm commenting the ctrl screen And also the models that are in the 3DS format in the game. I know what do you mean Horadrim, But the jump height, how the feat work is in the model's animation right ? And that's the only thing that's bothering me, they strech too much . I'd like to have a coder for my project Becouse I prefer doing the level design and the models, and doing everything is just killing me, I'm no coder, I have to learn some things and look for tutorials, and the code is probably very sloppy made
Old 2005-01-04, 21:39
Gobbles the bush turkey

Ok, we understand Horadrim. Is Mad Aeon using a cube around a character to detect collisions? Iv'e only scratched the surface in making 3d games but i read that you use Trigiometry or hypothusis calculations to judge the distance between 2 3d objects. It seems that he did, although he needs to make the boundary cube larger so that it always covers his whole body, i noticed that when you run up against a wall his arms still give way into the wall, so it is only around the torso.
Old 2005-01-04, 21:57
Do the evolution.

Or just mayby place invisible blocks where the walls should be, this way, there will never be a chance that the charachter passess trough a wall.
Old 2005-01-04, 22:04
View paradise and fall...

this still doesnt solve the problem if the collision is calculated too close to the wall, unless you make the invisable walls larger than the walls themselves

So what if I have to have control over every situation? It's only because you would screw it up.
Two carefully balenced hypocrits could make a perfect world. All I need is another hypocrit now...
Old 2005-01-04, 23:59
Gobbles the bush turkey

Why don't we just mimic what the LBA2 programmers did? But then again the interiours were 2d sprites, not 3d. I say that we resize the collision cube for each behaviour to cover the whole body spand. Wouldn't that work?
Old 2005-01-05, 00:23
Do the evolution.

I think not, becouse you will have strange things like, twinsen not passing beside a flowerbed, becouse the collinsion block is too big. In the engine I'm using, the whole model has collision calculations, and that works best, becouse tree trunks and such don't need ivisible blocks for collision. You could try to add two collision blocks, for the legs and for the torso - but Is that possible ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coll.jpg‎
Views:	184
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	4327  
Old 2005-01-05, 05:19
Gobbles the bush turkey

Would it be posible to have collision detection on all the polygons? Id'e think that that would take up a heck of Gigahertz to do that though. How about when the twinsen model moves up against the wall he just pushes up against it like he does in LBA1&2 when there is a cube he needs to push into place?
Or why not instead have a sphere? you would just detect it throgh radius calculations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sphere of colision j.JPG‎
Views:	239
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	4331  

Last edited by Gobbles; 2005-01-05 at 05:34.
Old 2005-01-05, 11:43
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
My opinion is that GLScene is not reliable engine,because it`s still in development.It`s aothors are adding many new things to it.But before all I must say that GLScene is really powerful and promising engine,but it`s negative side is that it costs many problems (the bugs in the third beta for example,having in mind that for some people the beta works perfectly,but for other not).
Old 2005-01-05, 12:38
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Umm....no offence to the LBAX coders, but the problem more likely lies with them then GLscene.
GLScene community is active enough for the vaste majority of common bugs with it to have been gone long ago. The bugs with the API Glscene are always likely to be with the new stuff like bumpmapping or the new motion blur effects...but I dont think LBAx is using them yet

Most likely the bugs with this new version are simply because Mad cant possibly test the game on every combination of OS and GFX card we have, so we need to report back to him as much as possible so he knows the problems.
Old 2005-01-05, 18:45

woopa! i go tit working in the end! to anyone who had problems, make sure that the path to the lbax folder has no spaces in it, bceause it interprets them as _ not a space. want me to post up the txt files?

So what if I have to have control over every situation? It's only because you would screw it up.
Two carefully balenced hypocrits could make a perfect world. All I need is another hypocrit now...
Old 2005-01-05, 19:24
Look beyond reality.

Thats not the problem.
I got my game in h:/lbax/ and still it doesn't work dude...
Old 2005-01-05, 21:07
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horadrim
There`s something wrong with the LBAx_beta.exe
It costs errors with the kernel32 file
I saw with which files the exe "communicates" so this is the list of the files you must have

user32.dll
advapi32.dll
oleaut32.dll
mpr.dll
version.dll
gdi32.dll
ole32.dll
comctl32.dll
winspool.DRV
winmm.dll
wsock32.dll
netapi32.dll

If everything is OK the game should run.But I noticed that at the old windowses (win98) it costs error with the kernel as I said.

LBAX_BETA executed an invalid instruction in
module <unknown> at 0000:00000000.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0000 EIP=00000000 EFLGS=00000000
EBX=00000000 SS=0000 ESP=00000000 EBP=00000000
ECX=00000000 DS=0000 ESI=00000000 FS=0000
EDX=00000000 ES=0000 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:

And I think that this :

" Exception EExternalException in module LBAX_BETA.EXE at 00056D99.
External exception C000001D. "

Costs the error.
We have all those files in System32, and we get the same error Obras has.
This is Windows2000 Pro, Res.txt is empty, and the system info file didnt change.
The game is in the route folder with no spaces.
Old 2005-01-06, 00:29
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Exclamation fixing these bugs...

My god how many posts in so little time!
Here we are, with a few hints to run the game:
-DON'T COPY THE OPENGL.DLL file to your systems32 folder,
I've seen that you should have already it, if not copying it directly to the system folder does not help.
-DON'T PUT THE GAME FOLDER IN A PATH WITH SPACES " ", like c:\documents and settings\
-In the next days the patch 0.40 will be available and will fix some compatibility problems.

LbaX Official Home page Last update... too long time ago^^
Old 2005-01-06, 00:34

Also DO NOT COPY any other DLL to your system trying to make tha gamre run.
The game HAS to work only with copying the FMOD.dll.
If the game doesen't run then it is a matter of problems with the rendering engine, some settings may be not supported by your system.
The beta 0.4 will fix many of these bugs.

Old 2005-01-06, 01:15

I have to give some explanations about the latest posts:
-Many people asked why in this 3rd demo you can only see Twinsen home.
The reason is that in this release, that I tried to make as small as possible, I want to fix all these compatiblilty problems. As soon as the beta runs on most of the PCs, I'll upload the rest of the locations.
-About the rendering engine that I'm using (GLscene) it is a very good engine, but it is quite difficult to make a game that will work on different PCs.
Even in the developers forum it is a common problem.
Anyway I'm working hard on this.
And as I said, the patch 0.4 that I'm finishing will fix some bugs.
It will be available the 8 of january.

Old 2005-01-06, 04:17

mad_aeon, will we see a return of the map editor by the time the final thing is done?it would be so damn niffty

Old 2005-01-06, 14:07
Gobbles the bush turkey

A map editor and level designer would be pro, it would revolutionise LBA fan game making i think.
Old 2005-01-06, 14:51

yeah. but we can already edit almost every part of the existing LBAs. cehck out the moddifacations fourm

Old 2005-01-07, 01:53

Yes the Map editor will be a part of LbaX. I am already using it but it is not so easy to use, it still needs improvements before being released.
By the way, the patch 0.4 is at a very good point. It will be released on the 8th as promised.
One word about the physics in the game: I'm not using cube collision detection, but a more complex thing.
GLscene supports many collision systems, from the simplest cube detection to the "face" detection, and supports advanced physics and clothing.
Also more other effects... but I won't use some of them since the game would not run on many systems (nor mine since my video card does not support shaders)
Anyway, as soon as the game will run on most systems, I'll add other effects that are already quite finished.