Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-10-13, 17:01
Magic Level: Red Ball

Topic about Lucid Dreams! - prepare for serious question-answering...or something

Okay I have chosen MBN as my first choice to get people's opinions on what I have been thinking about for th last couple of days because the community here at the MBN forums I have known to be a sensible, polite group...So here goes, for anyone who might know anything about lucid dreams and dreams where you have control (and I've highlighted the main questions which I really want to know about):

Would learning to have lucid dreams where you control what happens cause your dreams to not be as precious? I mean, being someone who hasn’t learned the art of having control of my dreams, each time I have a dream in which, for example, I fly, or finally get to be with someone I’ve longed to be with and feel the most wonderful emotions, that dream is a gem.

Those dreams (basically the types of dreams that are the whole reason you would want to learn how to have lucid dreams) are rare for me, and leave me with a really strong emotion for the rest of the day which I can’t really describe. Anyhow, it’s an emotion that I really like feeling, and as far as I know, I feel that emotion because I have experienced something that I very rarely get to experience, for example, being, as I mentioned before, with someone I want to be with for a while, or going back to a good time in the past.

It’s also a feeling I would like not to go away if I do learn to have lucid dreams. Would it go away? Considering it comes with those dreams which are so rare for me and are rare because I experience something I really want to which I never do in real life. If those dreams become more common as a result of lucid dreams, does that mean they will become less sensational? In that case would it be ‘dangerous’ for me to learn how to control my dreams?
Also, I suppose I am referring to the “element of surprise” in dreams where you do not have a hand in any of the events that unfold; is that lost? Is it a great loss?

Which leads to another thing that I have been wondering about: Once a person has learnt how to control his or her dreams, will all their dreams from then on run the risk of becoming lucid and not being able to take their own course of events while the dreamer just lays back and enjoys without having a hand in the plot? Has anyone ever regretted learning to control their dreams?
Or are lucid dreams still nevertheless quite uncommon even for those who have learnt to control their dreams?

Sorry for all the text ^^; I didn't want to miss anything and after remembering those dreams in which I flew over cities and countryside I've been really intrigued by lucid dreams.
And I stand by my earlier statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
I post long.

Thanks!
Old 2007-10-13, 17:26
Magic Ball Master

I saw a Doku about Lucid dreams a few months ago.
In that they said that it's very very rarely possible to learn to control the dreams and they have never heard of someone who's able to do that.
But they have made a machine which helps you to have Lucid-dreams
Mostly it's made for people who have hard Nightmares and to pretend them for the nightmares and maybe let those disappear.
It's a kind of glasses with mini-cameras which nitice when the Eyes are moving quickly.
If so the LEDs in the glasses begin to blink.
You'll notice the red flashes while dreaming and when you know that you're just dreaming you can easily change the dream to a lucid dream

Hope that answers a few things to you
Old 2007-10-13, 17:32
Le Kuck qui rit

I have read about lucid dreams and mine came never further than: "Hmm, that's strange, that isn't possible in real life!" But I never got real control
I read that you have to make triggers in real life to make it possible to get lucid dreams. Like every time you do a certain action you say something like "I am not dreaming", or pinch in your arm or whatever you think what could trigger a lucid dream.
I had been writing all of my dreams down for a few months and that really learns my when I have dreams (when I remember them) and what they are about. Most of the time I am travelling (probably because I travel over 20 hours a week in rl) in my dreams. And another funny thing that I noticed was that if I am stressed, I can't remember much of my dreams. And if I wake up after some hours of sleep and then fall asleep again, then I remember a lot of the dreams out of the second part of my rest.
As far as I know, my dreams aren't precious at all. And some say they get way more intense when you can control them.
And if you want to get rid of the lucid dreams, you will have to forget the triggers and remove them from your habits.

Old 2007-10-13, 17:37
Magic Level: Red Ball

Thanks for the reply leoboe!! That's very interesting with the machine and lights. I read about something like that too...there is also a machine which is still being developed/improved.

But I am pretty sure that there are methods of training oneself to have lucid dreams and control what they do. (When I browse the internet, many results come up!) And similarly, there seem to be many people who say they have learnt to do it. I hope it's possible...

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurck View Post
I have read about lucid dreams and mine came never further than: "Hmm, that's strange, that isn't possible in real life!" But I never got real control
I read that you have to make triggers in real life.....

Most of the time when something really wonderful is happening in my dream, right when I am really about to get stuck into it (eg. buying and preparing to play the long-awaited LBA3 on my computer!), I realise ‘this is too good to be true’ and wake up. Sometimes I have a few moments of lucidity before I wake up, or other times I drift into another, less brilliant dream. In any case I've never succeeded to linger long enough to take control of anything

Starting a dream journal seems like a pretty good idea to me. And it seems to be quite effective (to some people at least) for teaching the dreamer how to recognise the dream. But it's like an extra piece of homework for me T_T But yes, I really might try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurck View Post
And if you want to get rid of the lucid dreams, you will have to forget the triggers and remove them from your habits.
Thank you for that!!! I really wanted to know that before I decided if I would really try to learn to control dreams! So at least now I know I can try and give up if I fail .

Last edited by Momiji; 2007-10-13 at 17:52. Reason: adding stuff i was too slow to add earlier...
Old 2007-10-13, 17:50
Magic Ball Master

I don't know if i really want every dream to be a lucid dream
I didn't have that much Lucid dreams i think but when i had one i didn' got up very well.
It's emotianal strange sometimes as you said especially when a special girl came up in that kind of dreams
but you're more tired then youare when you had a normal dream
I think it's because you brain has to work quite hard to create exactly what you think
So i think it would be cool to be able to dream lucid dreams when you want it but i won't be good to just have lucid dreams!
Dreams should be dreams at least normally
Old 2007-10-13, 20:34
Le Kuck qui rit

When you have something really beautiful in such a nice dream, and you don't want to loose it when you go to another dream (and to stay lucid) you seem to hold the thing you like. Just grab it and hold on to in at least, that is what they say you should

Old 2007-10-13, 21:07
weee

Momiji - First, what is the purpose of dreams? It seems a lot of people get the wrong idea.

Dreams are the mind's way of processing information. While you're awake, your brain is focused on receiving new information - which after a while results in a mess in its neuron system. While you're asleep, the focus is shifting toward tidying up the neuron system by making the right connections. A "side-effect" of this is dreams, which reach the consciousness and are a very real experience. To keep you sane, those experiences are "stored" in a different place, so you can distinguish them from reality.

If you're interesting in - for example - controlling your dreams, you first need "pull" your subconsciousness and your consciousness closer together. You can do that by learning to understand yourself. Once you understand how your mind works and what are the roots of your thoughts and feelings, and be aware of your own mind's way of working, there won't even be much difference between lucid dreams and regular dreams. You'll be able to access places that were blocked before.

For what its worth, I'm not quoting anyone, I'm talking from experience. Once the subconsciouses and the conscious are less separated, you can sometimes even dream while your awake. It's amazing.
Old 2007-10-14, 00:02
Hello

How do you do that?
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2007-10-14, 00:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
you can sometimes even dream while your awake. It's amazing.
Does it look like in those bad American Kiddie-soapes??
Old 2007-10-14, 01:37
Le Kuck qui rit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
you can sometimes even dream while your awake. It's amazing.
Aren't we all doing that all day long? Well, at least when I am waiting for the train to arrive I always from this world for sure (and thinking about girls...)

Old 2007-10-14, 12:35
Do the evolution.

It's a strange case with me here I think, becouse in most of my dreams, I feel like it was everyday life, with me being in control, but when I am awake I can see that the dream unfolded itself and I had absolutely no control over it.
Old 2007-10-14, 12:56
weee

For me, in a large percentage of my dreams I'm actually aware I'm dreaming.

Dino-Fly (if your question was directed to me): By psychoanalyzing yourself. Once you know yourself in deeper levels, you have more control and more access to more places. If you aren't aware of yourself, those places will be blocked for the sake of your own sanity.

Anyway, that's my opinion, in case someone forgot to read my sig.
Old 2007-10-14, 14:10
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
For me, in a large percentage of my dreams I'm actually aware I'm dreaming.

Dino-Fly (if your question was directed to me): By psychoanalyzing yourself. Once you know yourself in deeper levels, you have more control and more access to more places. If you aren't aware of yourself, those places will be blocked for the sake of your own sanity.

Anyway, that's my opinion, in case someone forgot to read my sig.
What?
That you like Promicin?
How do you psychoanalyze yourself?
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
 cin.get();
}
Old 2007-10-14, 14:24
weee

That you should assume I say "imho"

Open up MS Word, and start writing. Kinda like a diary, but deeper, and don't stop writing until you get to the very roots of your thoughts - down to the molecular level. You can use Wikipedia or something when you're stuck. Also sorry for getting repetitive, but the book "Quantum Consciousness" can too help you get there. (and no, I'm not kidding)
Old 2007-10-14, 14:44
Hello

IMHO I think IMHO is your favorite line, but that's just IMHO.
I'll look into it.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
 cin.get();
}