Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Little Script Adventure

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Little Script Adventure An open-source 3D engine with assets and tools for all future LBA fan-games.

Old 2010-11-05, 15:37
Magic Ball Master

do you know the concept of team working ?
Old 2010-11-05, 16:28
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
Okay, I tell you this - I know the concept of "team working", possibly I`d know the answer of all other further questions, concerned to that matter. All I wanted is a simple, straight answer of my question. I`m asking this because:
1. Uploading such complex model as a level, with all of it`s textures and such, at unfinished state, means that I must export everything before uploading, since I`m not using Blender.
2. Uploading a model still in progress, means that I constantly have to do the upper step again at some point, because I`m making changes over the existent textures often.
3. The upper is valid for the model itself too.
4. If you even want to load this unfinished stuff in the engine, you`ll have to import it in Blender and assign all textures by hand, where they belong, since I`m using multiple textures per object.
5. The current collision system, the engine uses is peculiar and I`ll be pretty surprised if you`ve automated the process of building the collision model.
So if you pray tell, what`s the use of cycling over the 5 points above constantly, I`ll be very happy.
Old 2010-11-05, 16:52
Magic Ball Master

You don't have to convert it in Blender, upload your work as it is. Also consider SVN will let you keep track of your work, and I guess most of us are curious to see what you are doing. I'm actually using for both lsa and at my work, ALL I DO is subversioned, I don't see any better way to work.
Old 2010-11-05, 18:23
Free-lance designer

Well, I still think that uploading this is useless, but as you wanted - I`ll commit it as it is, without exporting anything. It`s a 3DS Max 2009 file. No older version would be able to load this model.
Old 2010-11-05, 18:27
Magic Ball Master

excellent !
What are multiple textures for ? Also please use PNG for textures and try to respect naming convention
Old 2010-11-05, 18:39
Free-lance designer

Most of the stuff are using multiple textures. At this point there`re several objects, that could be merged in one, like the pipes. The floors and the walls for instance, are one object, using two or three textures (there could be more as the work progresses). The metal towers, the stairs and so on.
Old 2010-11-05, 18:53
Magic Ball Master

Oh ok, then same thing than Jasiek maps. I thought you were talking about multitexturing meaning multiple layers on same face. Now we use it for nomal mapping only.
Old 2010-11-05, 19:18
Free-lance designer

I know. At this point I didn`t made any normal maps, but I could. There are some alpha maps I`ve included, since 3ds max doesn`t recognize the integrated alpha channel in the textures (all textures with transparency do have integrated alpha channel).
By the way - it seems that there`s a problem with the commiting to the repository. The "svn add" command returns "...already under version control" error, but I`ve never ran the comad before. I can`t add the folder. Even running "svn commit", nothing happens. Any ideas?
Old 2010-11-05, 19:28
Magic Ball Master

It looks like you are adding a folder that already exists on SVN, maybe we created it or you added it before using the commit command, which actually does an automated add when you check non versioned items.
Also just in case try the clean command.

You have to find a way to read PNG alpha channel ! The engine performs either alpha clipping or alpha blending, depending on texture name and using its alpha channel ...
Old 2010-11-05, 20:17
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You have to find a way to read PNG alpha channel ! The engine performs either alpha clipping or alpha blending, depending on texture name and using its alpha channel ...
The problem with the alpha channel concerns only me, as I said, I made the textures with integrated alpha, the engine should display everything properly. The alpha maps are for the MAX file only, that`s why they`ll be among the rest of the textures.

EDIT: I found out what was the problem - I managed to resolve it by the easy way (redownloading everything). Now everything should be in the repo.

Last edited by Horadrim; 2010-11-05 at 20:28.
Old 2010-11-05, 20:35
Magic Ball Master

oops ...

you might get really mad ...

I changed the naming convention a few months ago, sorry ! It's aimed to have shorter texture names

Here is the post explaining it

Also textures must be 2^n x 2^m, with n and m integers. n and m can be different values (rectangular texture).
map_matt_softwall.png doesn't respect that
Old 2010-11-05, 20:48
Free-lance designer

Quote:
oops ...

you might get really mad ...

I changed the naming convention a few months ago, sorry ! It's aimed to have shorter texture names
Well, It`d be a pain in the ass to rename everything in MAX for all 24 materials. I suppose that I could leave them as they are for the moment and rename them after finishing the model. After importing the model in Blender, you`ll have to assign the textures by hand anyway. The new textures that I`m about to make will be according to the new convention.

Quote:
map_matt_softwall.png doesn't respect that
Eh?! I`ll see what`s wrong.
Old 2010-11-05, 20:51
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
The new textures that I`m about to make will be according to the new convention.
I guess this sentence explains what are WIPs for !

Why should I assign texture by hand ? The obj format supports multiple texture no ?
Old 2010-11-05, 21:28
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Why should I assign texture by hand ? The obj format supports multiple texture no ?
I`m not sure how it`ll end up. I think it supports. Generally I`m using one single material, with multiple submaterials with their own ID. When texturing an object, I`m just switching the different polygon material ID`s to the texture I want. I`m not sure what exactly the wavefront .mat file contains as description.
By the way, since I had an assignment at the university, for designing a web page and I didn`t complete this yet, so I was thinking if you don`t mind, I could make a new webpage, since the current one is not so good, that way I could make use of my task. What do you think?
Old 2010-11-05, 23:08
Magic Ball Master

It's a good idea, Jasiek might help you as I remember he planed to make one too
If you could export a OBJ of map for this time, that would be really nice.
Old 2010-11-06, 01:04
Free-lance designer

Quote:
It's a good idea, Jasiek might help you as I remember he planed to make one too
Well... the idea is to make it myself, since it`s assignment for the university.

Quote:
If you could export a OBJ of map for this time, that would be really nice.
Hell, it`s starting...

EDIT: Okay, I deleted the .MAX file. I exported it as .obj file instead. I played a bit with the exporting settings for the materials, so I think everything is importing and it looks like as in 3DS MAX right now. So, I even saved and commited the prison map to the repository as .blend file. Happy now?

Last edited by Horadrim; 2010-11-06 at 01:24.
Old 2010-11-06, 08:50
Magic Ball Master

why did you delete the max file ? Some people can open it ! And it's part of your work !

And no need to be so antipathic, I just wanted to look at the map, I don't have MAX !

Last edited by David; 2010-11-06 at 08:59.
Old 2010-11-06, 12:02
Free-lance designer

There`s no need from the .max file, since the whole scene could be imported as .obj in every version of 3ds max. Leaving this .max file, is useless, since only people with max 2009 and above could open it, as I said before. Since we know now, that the levels could be exported from max and imported in Blender without any problems, I`d like to stick to the idea of uploading stuff, when I consider them as finished. If there`s a need of corrections afterwards, I`ll make them and then commit to the repository. This way everything will be tidy, without unwanted crap and new folders in the repo.
Old 2010-11-07, 23:43
Magic Ball Master

the max file is mainly for you, since in some rare cases you might want to go back to an older version, or save your work in case of a HDD crash !
And don't worry about the unwanted crap, as long as you clean it later.
Old 2010-11-08, 10:00
Free-lance designer

Don`t worry, I have home server, so I keep spare copies of the stuff I make on it. As for my workflow - I`m using different directories and if I have to commit everything or at least often to the repo, I`ll have to copy the same stuff to my subversion dir. Even if you don`t mind the crap stuff, I mind, because as you see, I must track at least 3 same copies of each file.
Old 2010-11-08, 17:53
Magic Ball Master

the particles source can't be associated to faces, only bones. The reason is simple, I can't know deformed faces coordinates ... The skinning is all GPU side ! So that would work for static objects but not animated objects.
I then propose to link particle sources to bones, which are both CPU and GPU side.
I'll try first to link objects to bones, for example I could try to add a saber to twinsen hand.
@Jasiek : where is the saber ?
Old 2010-11-10, 19:54
Magic Ball Master

now you can attach an object to a bone by hard-coding and later by scripting, current revision shows the hero holding a saber.
Old 2010-11-16, 21:28
Magic Ball Master

I added a bunker close to barrels, in harbor map, with flame thrower. It's a particle system linked to turret bone
Old 2010-11-16, 22:07
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
cool stuff
Old 2010-11-17, 00:41
Magic Ball Master

Cool. At random times particles fly out of the end of the flame thrower, they look a bit like the Magic Ball. Is that intentional?

Tags
awesome, demo, engine, lba, lba1r, little bigger adventure, little script adventure, non profit, opengl, opensource, tools