Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Little Script Adventure

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Little Script Adventure An open-source 3D engine with assets and tools for all future LBA fan-games.

Old 2010-11-22, 11:45
Magic Ball Master

Hi everyone,

There are so many different projects wanting 3d here at MBN I don't know where to go!
Basically if anyone sends me an image of a model, prop, scenery that needs doing I can try and get it done in my spare time

My work and personal life means I don't have much time to look through the forums to see what needs doing and see whos doing it so if you need something doing pm me and send me a link/post a pic and I can get on it

Let me know

Lewi-G

Old 2010-11-22, 12:21
Magic Ball Master

@Horadrim : sewers are looking nice ! However, I think color scheme should be more desaturated to fit with rest of project. I'll continue the APNG implementation.
Old 2010-11-22, 12:54
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
I can`t see what`s so ineligible. You all want me to do everything like Jasiek, but I`m not him, so I can`t, sorry. The color schemes for the interiors are different from the exteriors even in the original game. Besides I took most of the colors directly from the level grids. If I was messing up with the exteriors, then we could talk about colors that don`t fit.
Old 2010-11-22, 12:57
Magic Ball Master

Please use relative path for textures :
file-> external data-> make all paths relatives
Old 2010-11-22, 13:14
Free-lance designer

Done.

EDIT: I`ve noticed that there`re some problems with the wall texture. It doesn`t display in Blender. I think I`ve fixed this, but I`m not sure. It`s normal map probably isn`t loaded. I don`t know how to fix this, so I suppose you`ll have to take a look at it.
Old 2010-11-22, 14:58
Magic Ball Master

I still can't see any textures, and path are absolutes. If you press N in texture window, you'll see texture path, should be //whatever.png and it stills shows c:\...\whatever.png
Old 2010-11-22, 15:13
Free-lance designer

It seems that there`s somekind of a problem with my Blender (or may be I`m not doing something right). I have this error:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg‎
Views:	113
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	8555  
Old 2010-11-22, 15:21
Magic Ball Master

no idea, maybe it's because of folder names, having long names or "&" symbol. Also try to do it launching blender directly by clicking on blend file
Old 2010-11-22, 15:31
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
... Also try to do it launching blender directly by clicking on blend file
That`s what I did. I suppose that you could see the name of the files, even if they`re not with relative paths. The textures are in the same folder as the file, so, can`t you do the conversion?
Old 2010-11-22, 15:34
Magic Ball Master

then commit the obj file, less work for us
Old 2010-11-22, 15:39
Free-lance designer

Okay, they`re in the repo now.
Old 2010-11-22, 16:06
Magic Ball Master

blender file corrected
the gate doesn't have alpha channel
What is texture for wall ? I don't show normal maps in blender, you only see them in lsa. Just make the name matches and lsa do the rest : whatever_matt.png <-> whatever_normal.png
Old 2010-11-22, 16:32
Free-lance designer

The texture for the walls is swrwalls01_shiny.png . About the grids - I`m sure the texture has alpha channel. I`ll see what may be wrong with it.
Old 2010-11-22, 17:08
Free-lance designer

Everything is fixed now.
Old 2010-11-22, 21:21
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
I can`t see what`s so ineligible. You all want me to do everything like Jasiek, but I`m not him, so I can`t, sorry.
Then you suck as a game artist.
Old 2010-11-22, 22:14
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
Old 2010-11-22, 22:17
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Watch your mouth, OK?
Old 2010-11-23, 10:59
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Watch your mouth, OK?
And you're unable to cope with criticism.
Old 2010-11-23, 11:26
Magic Ball Master

Ahh Bot13 You haven't changed have you

Old 2010-11-23, 12:06
Free-lance designer

Quote:
And you're unable to cope with criticism.
Insulting someone is far away from criticism, my friend. I make these stuff for fun and I do it as I see them, without trying to copy someone else`s style and yet, I find my stuff compatible with Jasiek`s. Telling me how to tone the textures I make is not criticism, it`s fussiness. I don`t remember a situation in which I`ve ever said something about someone else`s abilities, just because telling someone "you suck" means at least that you must explain what makes you more or why you suck less... Anyway, trying to push yourself forward like this is ludicrous, so please - don`t attempt to attract my attention again. Thank you!
Old 2010-11-23, 20:22
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
without trying to copy someone else`s style and yet, I find my stuff compatible with Jasiek`s.
That would be nice to copy his style, as he made most of models. If we don't agree on a style, we'll never finish this game, that's why everybody is reacting this way. It doesn't mean at all your work is bad. But if you keep doing the things the way you want, I'm afraid you'll have to find some other team.
Old 2010-11-24, 00:02
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That would be nice to copy his style, as he made most of models. If we don't agree on a style, we'll never finish this game, that's why everybody is reacting this way. It doesn't mean at all your work is bad. But if you keep doing the things the way you want, I'm afraid you'll have to find some other team.
Okay, I must clarify something that obviously no one here could see. My workflow is pretty different than Jasiek`s, this means that we both have different approach and techique in making textures. That`s why I`m concentrated in making interiors. If it`s all about the f*#king color tones, then Jasiek is welcome to tone the textures as he thinks they fit and it`s over with all this. OK? If you expect me to draw like Jasiek, then you could continue on your own as you allude. I`ll withdraw my stuff from the repository and everyone will be happy. You already made Brafil to go away, now it seems that I`m on the same way. And you`re talking about teamwork, so where goes the compromise in this so called "teamwork"? You have too much expectations from the people for an open source project, started in such small community as ours. Besides everything else, such quarrels are spoiling the fun and are killing the enthusiasm. Being picky won`t do any good. You`re trying to recruit more people, but actually you`re make every endeavour to lose some. Think of it.
Old 2010-11-24, 10:39
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
...- If it`s all about the f*#king color tones, then Jasiek is welcome to tone the textures as he thinks they fit and it`s over with all this. OK? If you expect me to draw like Jasiek, then you could continue on your own as you allude. I`ll withdraw my stuff from the repository and everyone will be happy. -...- Being picky won`t do any good.
I wish you good luck in the game art industry, sir
Old 2010-11-24, 11:29
Magic Ball Master

I can't believe what I'm seeing ! Well, I've lost my patience, I won't beg you to come back. Removing all your stuff from repo cause we asked to change a bit texture tone shows it's unpossible to work with you. Open source project doesn't mean it has to be a chaos. There's an artist and development director here,making sure things can connect correctly. I believe people can still have fun working with us. You decide.
Old 2010-11-24, 11:48
Magic Ball Master

It may not be my place to say anything after returning from nearly 3 years away from this forum but please listen to what I am saying guys.

Horadrim I totally understand where you are coming from. Making anything in 3D requires a lot of time and patience and you put your heart and soul into it. I should know... I've been working in the CGI industry for nearly 7 years now. You wouldn't believe the number of times I have created something that I (and other people who worked with me) thought was excellent only to have a client say it was crap and make me change it to something I felt was less in quality.

At the end of the day though the client has to look at the bigger picture and make sure everything flows together and I believe this is the role that David (and other team members) have had to take. Its not a fun role as in this position you always upset someone but he has to make this critisim or the whole project will lack quality even if individual parts look great on their own.

Perhaps your team needs a "colour grade" artist? Their job is to make sure everything conforms to a pre arranged colour scheme so that everything matches. Its very hard for eveyone to do this through the internet and get it matching! If it was easy I wouldn't be sitting here in a company building and I would be working from home!

Horadrim mate you shouldn't have thrown your toys out of the pram though. I can see you have skills in 3D but you need to develop a much thicker skin because if you are serious about making it in this industry you will have to accept you are not the one who comes up with the creative ideas (excluding animation) but you are following someone elses vision and trying to create it to the best of your abilities.

Now from what I can see this project already has a style. It was created by Jasiek or if you both started on this project at the same time the group seems to be leaning towards his style. This doesn't mean your work is crap but it does mean you need to adapt. You need to be more laid back and professional about this mate or you won't make it in the game, film, music video, commercials or even web design industry.

All your actions have done is cause bad feeling and potentially put back another project in the LBA community. If you are hard core fans the you should all be trying your best to settle differences to make this project happen rather then who has the most prominent style in the project!

Come on guys. I am impressed with how far this project has come. It made me come back to MBN!

Last edited by Lewi-G; 2010-11-24 at 12:18.

Tags
awesome, demo, engine, lba, lba1r, little bigger adventure, little script adventure, non profit, opengl, opensource, tools