Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2022-09-14, 20:50
Magic Level: Fire Ball

What happened to Twinsen's parents?

Being part-way through the Dos Game Club podcast about LBA, I'm puzzled: Given that Twinsen's parents named him Twinsen, and given that the ancestors prepared things for him in the house, they knew that he's the heir, and the house must at least also have been used by his parents.

Then why didn't they ever tell him? And what happened to them?
Old 2022-09-14, 21:53
Master of Science & Magic

they "moved on"
Old 2022-09-15, 10:26
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound View Post
Being part-way through the Dos Game Club podcast about LBA, I'm puzzled: Given that Twinsen's parents named him Twinsen, and given that the ancestors prepared things for him in the house, they knew that he's the heir, and the house must at least also have been used by his parents.

Then why didn't they ever tell him? And what happened to them?
these things are always funny in a fictional tale.
Either the authors did think everything through and just decided not to tell you (quentin tarantino would do that), and in most cases the author doesn't know either, so there's no answer.

"because his parents were drugaddicts" is just as valid now as "they were told by the prophecy to not tell the true heir"-yadayada

and sometimes the author decide to drop changes later in letters and interviews. which often feels out of the blue random.
like gandalf the white supposably could beat sauron without the ring...curious
Old 2022-09-15, 14:18
Je rêvais d'un autremonde

That's why I love LBA. It's the only (or one of the few) games where people would actually care about the backstories of NPCs, rare and obscure details in the plot, and even the relatives, parents, grandparents, wife and kids of the main character!

That's how realistic and plausible the universe is while being completely original and full of fantasy.
Old 2022-09-15, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
in most cases the author doesn't know either, so there's no answer.
Then again, they did think of details which are most fascinating and most of us never knew about!
For instance, the story behind the dino-flys always captures my imagination, I love it...

Quote:
Atresica: I'm curious, what are the "Important Story Facts" to you?

Frederick Raynal: Important facts: for instance, I was very touched with the Dinofly story, this ancient island full of them which was destroy by Funfrock, how could it be different than that now.
And if Funfrock was alive and active since such ancient times, it is very possible that Twinsen is an orphan, and his parents were "mysteriously disappeared" by the hands of Funfrock to wipe out all those who could oppose him. Hence why his parents didn't have the opportunity to tell him he is the heir at a proper age.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2022-09-15, 16:17
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Then again, they did think of details which are most fascinating and most of us never knew about!
For instance, the story behind the dino-flys always captures my imagination, I love it...

And if Funfrock was alive and active since such ancient times, it is very possible that Twinsen is an orphan, and his parents were "mysteriously disappeared" by the hands of Funfrock to wipe out all those who could oppose him. Hence why his parents didn't have the opportunity to tell him he is the heir at a proper age.
doesn't it mean, it's an ancient island, but destroyed recently?

but yeah, point is, as long as you are not questioning these things to the authors, speculating doesn't mean much.

It's like schrodingers cat. For instance, didn't you know that the salesman in principal island is in fact an ex-soldier, who got out of the army, because he hurt his back?
Old 2022-09-15, 16:56

Quote:
doesn't it mean, it's an ancient island, but destroyed recently?
Yes, what I meant was that the destruction of that ancient island probably happened long time ago, since we only have now one surviving Dino-fly, who is already grown (probably an orphan like Twinsen? hah )...

Actually now that I think of it, I don't remember what was mentioned in LBA1 about Dino-flys, whether just one exist or they were already pretty much extinct... I don't remember very much that part where Twinsen first encounters him and if they exchange any dialogue.
Old 2022-09-15, 18:56

I remember when I went to talk to Dino-fly for the first time, I was also confused how there can be only one. Maybe Fun-frock's cloning technology could have been put to good use there to give Dino-fly a companion

Well, looks like I'll have to accept that the game didn't drop any clues about Twinsen's parents then. I'd rule out the drug addicts story though, as I'm sure then they'd have at some point sold their 200 square meter mansion in order to finance their addiction. Must have been reeeally successful hairdryer salespeople

Come to think about it, I think there's nobody doing drugs in the entire LBA universe, is there? Sounds like a missed opportunity to make the game world more psychedelic.
Old 2022-09-16, 14:37
Neko

Quote:
I remember when I went to talk to Dino-fly for the first time, I was also confused how there can be only one. Maybe Fun-frock's cloning technology could have been put to good use there to give Dino-fly a companion

Well, looks like I'll have to accept that the game didn't drop any clues about Twinsen's parents then. I'd rule out the drug addicts story though, as I'm sure then they'd have at some point sold their 200 square meter mansion in order to finance their addiction. Must have been reeeally successful hairdryer salespeople

Come to think about it, I think there's nobody doing drugs in the entire LBA universe, is there? Sounds like a missed opportunity to make the game world more psychedelic.
they're all using clovers, it's like speed, keeps you going even when you are hurt
Old 2022-09-16, 20:34

Keep going Jesse. Why don't you tell us about the unspeakable things drug addicts do in the shady park outside Lupin-Burg city (LBA2) to feed their clover leaf addiction? I feel like this could be the beginning of a very particular fan fic
Old 2022-09-17, 22:48
Neko

Quote:
Keep going Jesse. Why don't you tell us about the unspeakable things drug addicts do in the shady park outside Lupin-Burg city (LBA2) to feed their clover leaf addiction? I feel like this could be the beginning of a very particular fan fic
They also drugged the water supply.
Twinsen has hallucinating dreams. He sees animals as human beings.
Funfrock is actually the good leader while his police force hunts down the terrorist twinsen who randomly kills civilians by throwing them into the water.
Old 2022-09-18, 16:01

When does Twinsen throw any civilian into the water?
Old 2022-09-18, 16:21
Neko

Quote:
When does Twinsen throw any civilian into the water?
I always do the salesman in principal island.
Old 2022-09-19, 11:44
Magic Level: Water Ball

Quote:
didn't you know that the salesman in principal island is in fact an ex-soldier, who got out of the army, because he hurt his back?
He is ? How do you know ?

I don't think FF did thins to Twinsen's parents. I mean, he didn't know who the heir was, else Twinsen would've been imprisoned long before making prophetic dreams.
Old 2022-09-19, 12:57
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post

He is ? How do you know ?

I don't think FF did thins to Twinsen's parents. I mean, he didn't know who the heir was, else Twinsen would've been imprisoned long before making prophetic dreams.
the point is, that unless the author's say otherwise, it's both equally true and untrue at the same time.

speculation about stuff the original author doesn't write about seems mostly pointless to me, as every answer is fiction, unbased.
Like the question what happened to twinsen's parents.

answer: they got killed in a freak car accident, hence why there aren't many cars around, they are reviewing the entire transportation system, and move towards a "ride a crab"-technology. Only problem is, those crab's eat people. so they are still working on it
Old 2022-09-19, 13:25
Neko

on a side note:
sometimes the author later comes up with extra stuff, like gandalf the white can beat sauron sans ring.

But I don't buy those later additions in interviews also. Since a lot happens between thinking and actually writing stuff down. When you actually put the words into the story, characters often do different stuff than what the author originally had in mind. It's easy to say such a thing, another to write it actually.

So when an author 10 years later (!) comes up with additions in a letter with a fan or an interview, they are so uncoupled from writing the story, and probably would discard those changes when actually writing a sequel, that I don't take that serious either, unless they put it in a sequel themselves
Old 2022-09-19, 14:44
Magic Level: Water Ball

Wait, are you talking about LBA, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter ?
Old 2022-09-19, 14:53

Yes Jesse, it's just idle speculation by us bored LBA fans, sorry to disappoint you there
Running is equally dangerous as riding a car, with surely Twinsunians dying from bumping into walls on a weekly basis. So crabs with their shells do seem to have an edge there. I wonder why the Twinsunians didn't come up with Chitin armor like in the Elder Scrolls series (while we're throwing around with references to fictional worlds) to be able to safely run into walls.

@Polaris: Good point about the prophetic dreams!
Old 2022-09-19, 15:21
Neko

Quote:
Yes Jesse, it's just idle speculation by us bored LBA fans, sorry to disappoint you there
Running is equally dangerous as riding a car, with surely Twinsunians dying from bumping into walls on a weekly basis. So crabs with their shells do seem to have an edge there. I wonder why the Twinsunians didn't come up with Chitin armor like in the Elder Scrolls series (while we're throwing around with references to fictional worlds) to be able to safely run into walls.

@Polaris: Good point about the prophetic dreams!
@polly: all 3

@bloodhound: actually did you notice that all the running into walls had the god of the gods of Twinsun (not sendell, but fred), change the physics of sad world?

maybe we had upgrades or downgrades like that in our world? Hence the pyramids?

like people running around lucid and levitating stuff all the time