Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2009-08-04, 15:26
Previously Link

Well, I guess SourceForge provides this kind of tool.
* Checking now *
Ok, created a list of subprojects and started a list of tasks.
Old 2009-08-07, 22:24
Magic Ball Master

Hello guys,

The module list seams great for this initial step. It will probably expand with all other engine stuffs like (holomap, locations, inventory, game flags, in-game layout, behaviours, etc.). Still, we got to concentrate first in what was discuss for now.

About SourceForge.net, I'm really in doubt of using it. I used to like a lot SF.net but in the past months the usage of project section is really a pain in the ass.
Now-a-days, I use GoogleCode projects which give us most of the SF.net features but in a easy to use and more user-friendly. There are a lot of things in SF.net that we won't use and are there just to confuse us.

So, I sincerely advice a change of SVN provider since nothing concrete was done yet, but of course its a choice of all the team.

I've been working the past months on this project I begun with a small team and you can take a look how googlecode works: http://asylumengine.googlecode.com

As soon as the main base structure is done, I'd like to start working on it.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2009-08-09, 21:46
Previously Link

Well, I'm perfectly fine with using GoogleCode projects instead. It seems simple and efficient. I agree that SF.net is quite confusing. Well, if everybody agrees, let's use that:
http://code.google.com/p/lbapi/.
Old 2009-08-10, 21:06
Master of Degree

This google thing really seems more friendly for us. Without the tons of stuff from SF that we don't need. I agree on moving.

I'm thinking if it wouldn't be good to move or clone some our projects to it (Prequengine for example). Is it possible to add custom links to external bugtrackers, forums, etc.?
Old 2009-08-10, 22:59
Previously Link

Seems like it's possible.
Old 2009-09-08, 21:47
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
How is everything going now? Slowly or are you working a lot in the dark?

Which is our project page? SF or Google Code?

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2009-09-08, 22:40
Polly parrot

I read the first post, but I still don't understand what an API is... Just a program which allows to run all the LBA modifying programs from one place ?
Old 2009-09-08, 23:34
Magic Ball Master

Nah...

It's more like a tool for the programmer. So unless you know programming you'll have no use of it.

All the LBA Modding tools we've made to date could really have been made a lot faster and better if the programmers had a complete LBAPI in their disposal. And as you might suspect, since it's such a powerful tool it's also quite hard to create.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2009-09-08, 23:58
Polly parrot

So basically, it's something which could be used to modify LBA, only by programming ? (I mean typing lines in and stuff...)
Or is it a kind of programming language or source code ?
Old 2009-09-09, 01:23
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its snippets of usefull reusable code that helps make LBA-related games and applications.
Old 2009-09-09, 14:27
Previously Link

Here is an explanation of what is an API, for non-programmers:
http://andywibbels.com/2009/06/what-is-an-api/

LBAWinOwns - To be honest, things are going slowly, I've been too busy lately. I moved back to Paris to go on my study, but I don't have internet access in my new apartment. I also have a lot of projects in my company and for school.

Even if I didn't have a chance to finish the prototype version I'm working on, I've been thinking about the project regularly and came up with some new views of what it should look like. I'll set aside one day of this week to spend on the prototype and hopefully publish it on the SVN (it will most probably be Saturday).

We will be using Google Code.
Old 2010-03-06, 23:48
Magic Ball Master

So soon it have gone a half year since the last post in the thread.

Link, do you have any plans to ever awaken this project? (Be it in a week or in 5 years)

Is there anything else to be said about this project?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2010-03-07, 01:17
Previously Link

It's been a very busy half year to say the least.
I kept thinking about this project, but it occurred to me that it might not be as useful as I first thought. I mean, it would be useful if we were all working in an office, everyday, on LBA-related projects. But after all, I think it is too ambitious as I imagined it.
However, I think some of the purposes this project could serve can be addressed in a different manner. By setting some standards for example, and discussing how to let the different LBA modding tools work together more efficiently. I've been thinking a lot about the database system in the original games, and the different ways of organizing the game data in the different fan projects. It seems to me that given the current tools available and the way HQR files work, it must be hard to work on creating new content and making it fit correctly in the modded game, or maybe even impossible to create a new game with completely new content from scratch, without facing a "HQR-hell".
We can certainly discuss what are our options to better manage this "database" aspect of the games, whether they use HQR files or other data structures, across the various tools. I'm particularly concerned about this as I'm currently working on LBAnimator Studio, and I want to make it as efficient as possible. We could also discuss the possible evolutions on the 3D models format for instance, and how to ensure some interoperability between the different mods and tools.
I'll start a new thread about this shortly.
Old 2010-03-07, 07:02
the legend

I hope you'll ask me to make the LBAnimator Studio logo.

(and hope you will be able to add that little feature I asked you to...)

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.

Tags
api, fan projects, lba, lba2, programming