Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2006-03-14, 23:35
Magic Level: Green Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
I couldn't figure out if he did that because he just didn't want to say much, or if he had trouble writting in english/typing with his damaged finger.

I'm wondering if his replies would have been longer if he could reply in French.
Probably a mix of both, it is really tough to write properly in a language other than your native one; you are continuously translating mentally and trying not to write or speak in Frenglish...
Old 2006-03-14, 23:43
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
And the fact he had one finger broken might also have to do with the length
Old 2006-03-15, 02:34
Magic Ball Master

When that finger gets fine, we should ask for another time to talk with him

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2006-03-15, 21:49
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
I belive that contacting him beyond a limit , could at some point , affect the chances of LBA 3 being made ... That's why I don't even want to ask him anything by e-mail for at least 1-2 months ...
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2006-03-15, 21:50
weee

"Omg those stupid fans keep wasting my time with the email address I created specially for them, bunch of morons. NO LBA3 FOR YOU."

Yeah. Right.
Old 2006-03-15, 21:53

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
I think LBA is more personal to him and his wife, than it is to us.

Maybe not. He said before that it is just a brick in a giant wall to him, but I perfer to think that he was being modest when he said it.
Old 2006-03-15, 21:58
Master of Science & Magic

Fred wants to make LBA3, he made that very clear. We have made it very clear that we trust him in his decisions about LBA3. We are not putting a strain on this creative freedom. I don't see how we, the LBA community, could stray him away from creating LBA3.
It's pretty much up to a publisher to pick the game concept they want to sponsor.

Anyway... we should contact him some time concerning liberating LBA1. It would be nice to liberate it at the same time as is made public that LBA3 has been picked up by a publisher.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:01
Neko

You know I'm almost more interested into the remastering of the original games than a new one !

Nah I like both, the new game and the old ones.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:02
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko
You know I'm almost more interested into the remastering of the original games than a new one !

Nah I like both, the new game and the old ones.
Talk to Jasiek
Old 2006-03-15, 22:04

Why remaster?

Maybe clear up the voice-over quality, but the graphics and such are fine.

Up to this very day, when I play LBAWin I never feel like the graphics there are "outdated." I really love the way it looks, and I think a lot of people on the forum would agree with me.

I AM, however, very anxious about getting LBA1 out as a freeware. Fred said that we should contact him to get further information on it. So I say, let's do it.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:06
weee

Quote:
So I say, let's do it.
Do it!
Old 2006-03-15, 22:08

I would, but I'd like to know if anybody else has done it already. I know Axx said he might.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:10
weee

Just do it, if someone would have done it already we should have known.

We have his email, we should use it already (not just Quetch).
Old 2006-03-15, 22:19
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Up to this very day, when I play LBAWin I never feel like the graphics there are "outdated."
LBA1's graphics and slick and nice, but LBA2 tries to go beyond, and I always felt 256 colors aren't enough for it. Some things in it are a bit ugly.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2006-03-15, 22:22
Neko

Chaos: Jasiek's game amazed me so that my interest in LBA got back..also started my interest in 3d design. Yes, that strong.

Lightwint: I'm not talking about replacing LBA 1, but like when Isee Jasiek's game it just gives me a thrill to see it with updated graphics.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K
LBA1's graphics and slick and nice, but LBA2 tries to go beyond, and I always felt 256 colors aren't enough for it. Some things in it are a bit ugly.
Yes, I particularly did not like most of the exterior scenes.

They had this low level of saturated colors and looked rather bland.

I did not, for example, like the way the sky looked. And the sceneries in Zeelish really depressed me. Twinsun was under rule of a dictator in LBA1, but even then it looked kinda happy.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:41
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Zeelish was meant to be a smog covered hell hole of a planet, its supposed to have a depressing atmosphere
Old 2006-03-15, 22:42
weee

Len and Wing: "blah blah blah"

You did like it, admit it.
Back in 1997 you could not possibly not like LBA2 exterior scenes. And even today I think it's beautiful.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:44
Sheepie for short

Yes, the colours gave it a kind of bleak feel, which was good. And Twinsun was nice bright colours.

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
Back in 1997 you could not possibly not like LBA2 exterior scenes. And even today I think it's beautiful.
I'm sorry to say it, but I really did not.

Like I said, it goes beyond simple graphics. No, the graphics was fine. In fact, the technology that Twinsen's Odyssey used for its visuals was one of the best at the time!

But the color saturation and such everywhere was, in my opinion, a wrong move in terms of Art Direction. Maybe they just had a really difficult transition from isometric to 3d (where they would use more complicated lighting), or maybe they weren't really focused on that part of the game. Who knows.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:57

Quote:
Hello Mr. Frederick Raynal,

I am Eugene K (aka Lightwing @ MBN) and I am asking you this question on behalf of the LBA Online Fan community:

As we try to spread the word about LBA, many people who have not played the game, ask us where they can find it. Only, of course, a few copies are sold and nobody wants to go through the hassle of purchasing a 12 year old game they know nothing about.

Many fans at MBN would really love for Relentless to go freeware as we also believe that if more people get to play the game, then it is likely that they will look forward to an LBA sequel.

Our ultimate question is: What has to be done in order for Relentless to become a freeware game?

We ask this now, because we are quite ready to do what we can to make it happen.

Thank you,
Eugene K & the Magic Ball Network.
Sounds good?
Old 2006-03-15, 22:59
weee

Sounds completely understandable, I think it's sendable
Old 2006-03-15, 23:00

Done.
Old 2006-03-15, 23:02
weee

Cool!
Old 2006-03-15, 23:27
Neko

Quote:
I'm sorry to say it, but I really did not.

Like I said, it goes beyond simple graphics. No, the graphics was fine. In fact, the technology that Twinsen's Odyssey used for its visuals was one of the best at the time!

But the color saturation and such everywhere was, in my opinion, a wrong move in terms of Art Direction. Maybe they just had a really difficult transition from isometric to 3d (where they would use more complicated lighting), or maybe they weren't really focused on that part of the game. Who knows.
Saturated intesifies the colours right? Whats wrong with that?

Can you post an example of what you mean, compared with something you would prefer it?