Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

View Poll Results: Are you going to Insta-buy it?
Yes 16 59.26%
Yes 6 22.22%
I don't have an Android or iOS device 4 14.81%
You should buy one then 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-03-21, 21:57
LOLwut?

Kingdom Come Deliverance comes closer to what Reek is asking about.

Here's a really expensive game that used Kickstarter as a way to show interest, but they'd never be able to cover all the production costs that way.

What they did was getting a successful Kickstarter campaign for about 10% of the total costs, and then a private investor gave them the rest of the money, under the condition that the Kickstarter project really shows there's a public willing to play out there.

Now, LBA3 should costs a bit less than Kingdom Come, but it wouldn't be that cheap either. Just following LBA2's standards they'd need full voice acting, a 3D World, expensive and long cutscenes (nowadays maybe they could do them with in-game graphics).

LBA 3 is not a cheap game idea, and that's one of the reasons they couldn't find an investor just yet, nobody's willing to pay that much money for something risky.

Old 2014-03-21, 22:49
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
cool, that's basically what i suggested a few posts ago.

anyway the whole thing is strange to me, also because of what rex hollywood said, but also because i believe that at least 90% of the people who will buy this rerelease will be people who are already fans of the series, in which case a simple petition or kickstarter thingie would have sufficed.

the way i see it, unless lba 3 is going to be vastly different than it's predecessors, it won't be a mainstream game. the people who will buy it are the fans of the series and open-minded gamers who play indie games,etc. and don't limit themselves to the mainstream stuff. and like rex said these people probably don't do their gaming on mobile platforms.

(i'm saying this because i got the impression that fred might have hopes that lba3 will be as big a phenomenon as the previous games. which is kind of like expecting indiana jones 4 to be as big as the original trilogy. i could be completely wrong about how fred sees this of course)

Last edited by Reek; 2014-03-21 at 23:00.
Old 2014-03-22, 00:05
Magic Level: Fire Ball

I think they're trying to build a brand. They want new players who recognize the name "LBA" because they realized the existing fanbase is not big enough to start such a big project as LBA3. Because LBA3 needs to be a big project. Why? Sometimes I tend to think that if LBA3 ever gets released, it'll never meet our expectations. We think It has to be awesome, right? Actually the longer the wait is, the higher the expectations. We have waited so long for it, so we won't accept anything other than a full-blown game with a huge, open world, voice acting, etc. And this gets worse and worse as time passes, it's like a kind of a "spiral" which never ends.

Now, 17 years after the release of LBA2, I think we're at a point where the fate of the whole LBA3 project should be decided. I mean, Fred and Didier (and possibly the others who are involved) should decide what do they want and how do they want it. Will they really make the game or admit that LBA3 will never be? It seems they're just "hoping for the best" with this mobile re-release. It doesn't seem like a fail-safe plan, does it? It's hanging by a thread: it all depends on one thing. It's unlikely that a successful mobile release would convince any publisher alone. The thing is, we don't know about the further plans, or... and that's the worst case but the most likely -- there are no further plans at all. In that case, it won't work -- such an ambitious project needs very careful planning. Anyway, we're doing what Fred and Didier are doing: hoping for the best.

I really wondered about something: wouldn't the MBN have died a long ago if LBA3 got released around 2000? While I don't think the main "purpose" or the community is to wait for LBA3, the long wait has certainly contributed something to the MBN. It's like this place can't die until LBA3 gets released. But what is LBA3, really? For me, the meaning of this phrase has transformed over the years. It's not really a game project any more. I mean, LBA3 is the thing that keeps this place alive. I mean, the MBN is LBA3. It's the continuation of the games but in another form. Thousands of lines of posts providing a thorough analysis of the games, fan art of every form, fan projects -- games and other, loads of other LBA-related content. LBA3 is written by us, the fans. And it'll be never be complete. Not until anyone who cares about LBA exists.
Old 2014-03-22, 00:33
Magic Level: Green Ball

Completely agree with everything you said Renesans.
Also, I think a reason why the forum never really died out, other than that we want a continuation on the story, is that Frederick have been hinting so much that he want to do a sequel, every time Fred mentioned LBA somewhere, like on a interview, a forum post or other places, the forum lit up.
That would probably not be happening if Fred was working for a big company making other games. Then he would slowly fade into being... one of the others? And not talk about LBA in such a personal way.

We know Fred wants to create it, and it makes us want it even more.

And I'm trying to not be to hyped about anything, I know how much that sucks when something finally releases and doesn't have exactly all that you wanted.
Old 2014-03-22, 01:18
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Many of the successful "big"games on kickstarter were from independent games studios making profitable games already remember. (Like Elite/Frontier).
Sometimes its a matter of self-funding + kickstarter basically.

But yes, in general, its all more simple stuff then an open world adventure.
Remember also Tim Shafers game got, like $3million funding....and he had to do another kickstarter for more as it wasn't enough.

Quote:
the way i see it, unless lba 3 is going to be vastly different than it's predecessors, it won't be a mainstream game.
Both previous games were mainstream for their time.
The definitions have shifted somewhat, and the maximum sales that the biggest games get have grown. But theres no evidence at all that the total sales would be less then they used too.
Old 2014-03-22, 01:55
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
I think they're trying to build a brand. They want new players who recognize the name "LBA" because they realized the existing fanbase is not big enough to start such a big project as LBA3. Because LBA3 needs to be a big project. Why? Sometimes I tend to think that if LBA3 ever gets released, it'll never meet our expectations. We think It has to be awesome, right? Actually the longer the wait is, the higher the expectations. We have waited so long for it, so we won't accept anything other than a full-blown game with a huge, open world, voice acting, etc. And this gets worse and worse as time passes, it's like a kind of a "spiral" which never ends.

Now, 17 years after the release of LBA2, I think we're at a point where the fate of the whole LBA3 project should be decided. I mean, Fred and Didier (and possibly the others who are involved) should decide what do they want and how do they want it. Will they really make the game or admit that LBA3 will never be? It seems they're just "hoping for the best" with this mobile re-release. It doesn't seem like a fail-safe plan, does it? It's hanging by a thread: it all depends on one thing. It's unlikely that a successful mobile release would convince any publisher alone. The thing is, we don't know about the further plans, or... and that's the worst case but the most likely -- there are no further plans at all. In that case, it won't work -- such an ambitious project needs very careful planning. Anyway, we're doing what Fred and Didier are doing: hoping for the best.

I really wondered about something: wouldn't the MBN have died a long ago if LBA3 got released around 2000? While I don't think the main "purpose" or the community is to wait for LBA3, the long wait has certainly contributed something to the MBN. It's like this place can't die until LBA3 gets released. But what is LBA3, really? For me, the meaning of this phrase has transformed over the years. It's not really a game project any more. I mean, LBA3 is the thing that keeps this place alive. I mean, the MBN is LBA3. It's the continuation of the games but in another form. Thousands of lines of posts providing a thorough analysis of the games, fan art of every form, fan projects -- games and other, loads of other LBA-related content. LBA3 is written by us, the fans. And it'll be never be complete. Not until anyone who cares about LBA exists.
The end was so deep I could see Adele rolling in it
Now seriously, I have to agree... We became a community because of LBA3. It doesn't realy mater what happened that led us to this forum, but deep inside we all stayed for the same reason ~ hope ~. We need someone else to talk about our hopes and dreams for games, of our creations and passion for the series... this is what we are, and what we do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
The definitions have shifted somewhat, and the maximum sales that the biggest games get have grown. But theres no evidence at all that the total sales would be less then they used too.
The thing is, as you said, the "mainstream" have changed a lot since them. The big games that sell a lot nowadays are all FPS and Adventure games (generalizing, of course) from famous series or developers, such as EA and whatever. Lets face it, the ammount of people who know Fred and his work can't even be compared to the ammount of people that know EA and their games, for example. That places him into a hugeee disadvantage. He needs to become more famous, and people need to know more about LBA1 and LBA2 before LBA3 can ever even become a project (or he needs to make some seriously awesome marketing). Many people may know the previous games but, as stated before, they are all fans that are waiting for the game since long ago. Those who aren't fans of the series aren't excited at all and will need to be very impressed by the game to ever consider buying it.
Old 2014-03-22, 09:43
Party animal

Quote:

that's why i compared it to indiana jones. something can work in one decade, but not in another.

anyway, while obviously i'm no expert, it seems to me that if fred was content to make a game that looks like jasiek's remake (and that would be great imo provided that music, story and general atmosphere is as special as in the previous games) then funding would be much less of an issue. if he's aiming for a production comparable to that of bigger titles (far cry 3, fallout 3, etc.) well then that's too bad 'cause it means we're never going to see lba3 basically.
Old 2014-03-22, 13:40
Polly parrot

What you said Renesans is bit over the top, but it's also very poetic
Old 2014-03-22, 15:45
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
The thing is, as you said, the "mainstream" have changed a lot since them. The big games that sell a lot nowadays are all FPS and Adventure games
There is hardly any big name adventures, made by anyone, on any platform.
(well, save perhaps for Zelda every 5 years or so).
FPS and Sports are generally the biggest sellers.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/16/100-be...ealed-4265929/

Unless you mean stuff like Tomb Raider, but I don't really think they are adventure games. Action/Platforms like Tomb Raider is a separate category really imho.

Quote:
(generalizing, of course) from famous series or developers, such as EA and whatever. Lets face it, the ammount of people who know Fred and his work can't even be compared to the ammount of people that know EA and their games, for example. That places him into a hugeee disadvantage.
Why?
You don't need to sale as good as something else, only as good/better as you did before. Also, really don't think anyone buys a game because its an EA game. Merely knowing a company doesn't really affect sales - its the other way around.

They might by a sequel to something they bought before of course (FIFA20XX), but generally they will buy just what appeals to their taste - probably biased towards reviews and demos.

Remember as well, you comparing a specific developer to EA as a whole. How many specific EA developers do you know?
Old 2014-03-22, 18:32
Magic Level: Red Ball

Send a message via ICQ to ras maxim
when LBA3
Old 2014-03-22, 19:44
Polly parrot

Yes
Old 2014-03-22, 21:30
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
when LBA3
someone who knows fred sent me the date when lba3 gets released, but i'm not allowed to reveal it here. pm me if you're interested.
Old 2014-03-22, 23:29
Polly parrot

Much funny
Old 2014-03-23, 02:15
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
i don't know what fred has in mind tbh. if he's hoping for lba3 to rival stuff like bioshock infinite or far cry 3 in terms of production value, well, best of luck to him. as far as i'm concerned, if lba3 will look like jasiek's lba1 remake that's more than good enough for me since i'm mainly interested in a gaming experience similar to that of the previous lba titles.
That makes sense. I must say I agree with you on this.
Old 2014-03-23, 05:48
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
There is hardly any big name adventures, made by anyone, on any platform.
(well, save perhaps for Zelda every 5 years or so).
FPS and Sports are generally the biggest sellers.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/16/100-be...ealed-4265929/

Unless you mean stuff like Tomb Raider, but I don't really think they are adventure games. Action/Platforms like Tomb Raider is a separate category really imho.
Sorry, I meant action instead of adventure =.="

Quote:
Why?
You don't need to sale as good as something else, only as good/better as you did before. Also, really don't think anyone buys a game because its an EA game. Merely knowing a company doesn't really affect sales - its the other way around.

They might by a sequel to something they bought before of course (FIFA20XX), but generally they will buy just what appeals to their taste - probably biased towards reviews and demos.

Remember as well, you comparing a specific developer to EA as a whole. How many specific EA developers do you know?
"only as good/better as you did before." Things have changed a lot. What was good before is almost nothing compared to now. You need to sell much more copíes of the game to pay for it, and even more for the profit to be considered good enough to be worth their time or, maybe, a sequel. Remember that there are now many more gamers then there was before.

About the latter,
Knowing that a game is from EA (for example), or from a franchise that is famous already brings some expectation to it (The Sims and Assassin's Creed, for example)... fans or people that like the genre will be much more likely to buy the game because of the reputation, as they know it will most likely be a good title.

For example, take one of the newest stars that are rising today, Telltale, that is producing great games such as "The Wolf among us". When people hear "its a new game from Telltale", they already want to check it out and see if its as good as the previous ones. Do you get it?
Old 2014-03-24, 07:53

3 days left
Old 2014-03-24, 18:32
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
For example, take one of the newest stars that are rising today, Telltale, that is producing great games such as "The Wolf among us". When people hear "its a new game from Telltale", they already want to check it out and see if its as good as the previous ones. Do you get it?
Exactly. I'm a big fan of Telltale since their first Sam & Max, and I would have never expected them to produce titles like Monkey Island 5, Walking Dead and Back to the Future... but now I get hyped every time I hear they're working on something. Except I always wait they finish all episodes of a game, before starting it.
That's the same with Daedalic Software, they're producing the best point'n'click adventure games since LucasArts stopped making history, I'm slowly buying all their titles from GOG and Steam, and I'm always fascinated of what they're doing.
Unfortunately Adeline doesn't exist anymore and Fred didn't make anything big since 1997, I don't know how many people will buy the LBA mobile version, but getting a big slice of new and old gamers to know them might have the impact they need to sell their next game, even if it's not LBA, but still a quality product.
Old 2014-03-24, 20:44
Polly parrot

He helped on Soul Bubbles though, which is an awesome game.
Old 2014-03-24, 21:00
Classic

Quote:
Yes, but just a few years back people didn't know Telltale existed!

Laywered!

(Telltale is awesome, incidentally, one of my most admired companies)
Old 2014-03-24, 21:53
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
He helped on Soul Bubbles though, which is an awesome game.
Indeed =^.^= realy enjoyed to play it when I still had my DS
Old 2014-03-25, 07:20

guess what... 2 days left
Old 2014-03-25, 07:35
Polly parrot

And we're still waiting
Old 2014-03-25, 17:37
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. A. T. View Post
guess what... 2 days left
lol! it's almost as if this isn't a game you've played many times in the past before
Old 2014-03-26, 03:57
LOLwut?

Quote:
lol! it's almost as if this isn't a game you've played many times in the past before
To be honest, I only played LBA1 twice!

So, it wouldn't be overplayed and I definitely buy it if I had the hardware

Now, if we were talking about LBA 2, that's a whole different story :P

Old 2014-03-26, 07:06

Quote:
To be honest, it's not because what I played is LBA for PC, and it's diffrent from PS version and mobile;p

1 day left (IT'S TOMMOROW!!!yey!!);p

Tags
android, ios, ipad, iphone, remake