Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2006-10-15, 14:40
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Twinsun Temple of Bù before the sand-storm...

Well... as I had some time yesterday, I used Zink's LBArchitect to modify the grid of the first scene of the Temple of Bù from LBA 1 to look as it looked before the Temple of Bù was covered by the sand-storm.

But the grid modification wasn't enough. The colors of the grid still seemes a bit dark and macabre, so I used Paint Shop Pro 5 to change the LBA 1 palette to a bit lighter, more temple-style mysterious colors.
Then, I re-opened the modified grid in LBArchitect, using the new palette. And finally, I made a screenshot of it using LBArchitect's "Export to bitmap..." feature.

The screenshot is attached, BTW.

- Moderators and Administrators: Please, don't move this thread to LBA Modifications, since I would like as much people as possible to see this and give feedback.

- Everyone: And please, give feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	templebu_past.jpg‎
Views:	525
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	6180  

Last edited by Battler; 2006-10-15 at 21:20.
Old 2006-10-15, 14:54
Magic Ball Master

Hey, right when you were posting, I was testing my skills with LBArchitect. It didn't turn out good. Can someone write a tutorial "How-to-make-my-own-Island", please?

I don't see the point of this, but it's really nice.
Old 2006-10-15, 15:25
You what?!

Nice ideas, OBras

A lot of it makes sense, but you have some random stuff there, like that runic stone (?) and also some of those tablets I don't remember from the game... But the general layout is very well designed.
Old 2006-10-15, 15:51
Master of Science & Magic

the temple was burried by the sandstorm, why would the internal structure be partially destroyed?
Old 2006-10-15, 15:58
You what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post
the temple was burried by the sandstorm, why would the internal structure be partially destroyed?
That's a good point, but it's clearly been damaged by something (possibly time) so this still provides an insight to how it may have look originally...
Old 2006-10-15, 16:01
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
yeah why the runic stonoe?
Old 2006-10-15, 17:03
Neko

maybe it is nice to make the upper level part of the temple...the part that's in direct contact with the outer world via a door. with paint shop you should be able to have light coming from a door in a picture...
Old 2006-10-15, 17:13
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- El_Muerte: There are clear signs of internal destruction in the Temple of Bù as it appears in LBA 1.
Example: In this very scene, when you enter it, to access the rest of the scene, you have to jump from one "shore" to another, through some kind of "pillars" that are there in the middle. And it's interesting how those "pillars" have on top a piece of floor, which is the same as the floor of the rest of the temple.
So I think it's very logical that those "pillars" are remains of a hall that used to be there. And in my grid, the hall is there, and it's designed according to how I imagined it could have looked.
Also, it's quite natural that objects get damaged when they get buried by anything at all - even if by water. Just take a look at some examples from the real world - the best of all being the wreck of the Titanic. Parts of her interiors, such as the Grand Staircase and the gym, are gone into nowhere, and only empty spaces are there now.

Plus, there are holes and "natural stone walls" in some parts of the scene - certainly they weren't there when the temple was still not buried.

Also, for some parts, I used my imagination to describe what they could have been before the sand-storm.
The part with the moving spike pillars could have been a zone for self-torture for the ascetics (= fanatic reglious people, who self-inflict the pain as a religious ritual), and the part with the "flower" which speats flying blades, was probably some kind of a ritual object, which was protected by that thing so that no-one could have stole it - and I put a runic stone there because I thought it was the most obvious.

BTW, as for the runic tables - I'm quite sure there were some runes in the temple before it was buried by the sand-storm, just like inscriptions in modern day churches or mosques, or inscriptions in the temples of Ancient Egypt.

And as for the other runic stone - I didn't want to remove that circle of light, so I decided to put a runic stone, which is a quite mystical object, there.

Edit: About the self-torture room for the ascetics - when making this grid, I supposed that the moving spike pillars actually had controllable speed. So I added a switch. My supposition has it that when the ascetics went there, they flipped the switch and the moving spike pillars started moving slowly.
When they left, they flopped the switch again,a nd the moving spike pillars started moving fast again, so to prevent unauthorized people from using that self-torture room. Also, I also think the switch was only operable with some kind of key, which only the priests, ascetics, and the chief had.

Also, I think that during the sand-storm, some stones certainly fell into the temple, damaging its interiors. It's well possible and plausible, also seeing how there's a mountain (Bald Mountain) near the temple (or so it is in LBA 2).

Edit #2:
- Neko: This actually IS the upper part of the temple. The room with the Book of Bù is at the same level (height), and when you exit it with the Book of Bù, you clearly see Twinsen walking out the main door of the temple in the video that follows.

Last edited by Battler; 2006-10-15 at 17:24.
Old 2006-10-15, 17:50
Do the evolution.

Ok... IT's super cool But the torture part is a bit dumb . Theese were clearly designed as traps, sort of a anti burglar alarm, the first hall as it appeared before the destruction should have a key locked mechanism to disable the traps, thus allowing the keepers/monks of the temple to roam it freely, and when the ceeling caved in, it destroyed the mechanism thus making the traps stay on for decades. The prised treasure of the Temple was obviously the Book of Bu, the traps were in there to stop all the thieves trying to get a hold of it, when the monks where asleep. The whole "push a statue to a pressure plate" thing was a safeguard, if ever the mechanism should be destroyed or the key to it lost, a skilled monk would have to outsmart the traps to be able to get inside the temlple.
Old 2006-10-15, 17:51
Sheepie for short

Surely the purpose of all the pointy things is to provide the danger that only the Heir can get past...

Edit: beaten by Jasiek

My LBA screenshots page. And some exciting games I have made.
Old 2006-10-15, 17:55
Do the evolution.

I think it might be a plot thing, the traps where a antiburglar system, but when the temple got destroyed by the storm, the wisest of the keepers of the temple foretold a profecy that only the Heir will be able to reach the book of Bu, and thus he forbid the other monks to disable the traps and uncover the temple.
Old 2006-10-15, 18:41
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote

I love it.

Except I agree with everyone about the runic stone.
Old 2006-10-15, 19:05
New efforts! :)

The runic stone could be some secret message from... (dunno who could write that)

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2006-10-15, 20:43
Welcome to Zirla!

OK, I modified the grid a bit now. I removed the runic stones, moved one of the runic tables to near the entrance, added two tombs/effiges, and done the modifications according to Jasiek's theory.

The new version is attached with this post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	templebu_past2.jpg‎
Views:	291
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	6186  
Old 2006-10-15, 22:37
Registered Schnitzel

Could you upload the unedited version as well? I'd love to see the comparison.
Old 2006-10-15, 23:00
You what?!

Schnitzel, it's on the first post.

OBras, there's just one thing about the entrance, shouldn't it be on the wall where you've placed those two levers, instead of that adjacent wall to the right? iirc...
Old 2006-10-16, 00:10
Do the evolution.

Schnitzel meant the original pic - the destroeyed temple.

Anyways it would be cool to see it in a bigger res It looks cool .
Old 2006-10-16, 00:37
Welcome to Zirla!

- Ricochet: The entrance you're talking about is the LBA 2 entrance, which is NOT the original entrance to the Temple of Bù, and was only dug later, when the temple was made into Temple Park.
Also, with the entrance being right in front of the staircase, it makes the staircase look a lot more grand.

- Schnitzel-Man and Jasiek: I'm going to post a screenshot of the original grid, with the original palette, tomorrow.
I'm also going to post a .ZIP file with both the grid and the palette used for this thing tomorrow.

Edit: Attached 3 screenshots now, of the following versions of this very scene: original LBA 1 version, original LBA 2 version, LBA 2 version with the railways removed and parts modified to look like they look in the LBA 1 version (this version was modified from the original LBA 2 version by me).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	templebu_lba1.jpg‎
Views:	259
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	6188   Click image for larger version

Name:	templebu_lba2.jpg‎
Views:	257
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	6189   Click image for larger version

Name:	templebu_lba2_norails.jpg‎
Views:	267
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	6190  

Last edited by Battler; 2006-10-16 at 01:06.
Old 2006-10-17, 14:55
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
The runic stone could be some secret message from... (dunno who could write that)
"You who read this text, know that there are 3 Runic Stones in this world."

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2006-10-17, 15:16
Banned

Nice!
Old 2006-10-17, 15:20
D0PEFISH

Hmm looks interesting Obras... Is it hard to modify premade scenes? Also can you create completely new scenes with the original LBA textures through LBArchitect?
Old 2006-10-17, 15:22
Magic Ball Master

You can. But it needs much skills. My first try didn't turn out good.
Old 2006-10-17, 16:55
doin' it for the lulz!

cool.
Old 2009-06-16, 02:32
Welcome to Zirla!

So yeah, a massive bump. Almost three years later, I took the dust off the grid, and decided to make a step further. Changing its looks to be basically the same, as those of the Well of Sendell. For that, a lot of custom bricks, and layouts, had to be made, and I made them.

The screen-shot is attached, and here:

The High Quality Scenario file of it is also attached to this post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	templebu_past3.png‎
Views:	617
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	8078  
Attached Files
File Type: zip templebu_past3.zip‎ (209.7 KB, 123 views)
Old 2009-06-16, 13:45
Bamboo

Send a message via MSN to Jareth
Woah Looks awesome ;D Nice work, OBattrilo ^^