Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Twinsuniverse > Encyclopedia Twinsunica

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Encyclopedia Twinsunica The Encyclopedia Twinsunica is the older version of the Twinsuniverse, about the world of the LBA games.

Old 2003-12-19, 22:51
Ben Folds live

Send a message via MSN to Lucifer
About the writing tenses used

I have only written a few articles yet, and I used the past tense for all of them. I see that of most articles the 'fan descriptions' are written in present tense.

Which tense should be used for characters that died, disappeared, are not in LBA2, etc.? Are there special rules for it (or can we make them if not)?

For the Teleportation Center scientist/guard/painter articles by me I used the past tense, like I said. But as the Teleportation Center article itself is simply in present tense, I think that would fit my articles better.

I'll change them if necessary.
Old 2003-12-20, 00:47
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
I know from newsarticles and such that they're mostly written in an active tense (both in present and past) because that is more enjoyable to read.

so it's better to write "he hit them" instead of "he has hit them"...or something

just giving you an idea
Old 2003-12-20, 07:43
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
OK, picure this: the Twinsunica is an encyclopedia written on Twinsun, a short time after Twinsen's second adventure. Therefore, the Role section, which describes things that already happened, should be the past tense (in the early days of summer 2002, I used to write that in the present tense, and it looked more like a game walkthrough than an encyclopedia ).
The Fan section describes the item, which most likely didn't change even after Twinsen's adventures. Therefore, this section should be in the present tense.

Makes sense?
Old 2003-12-20, 18:02
Ben Folds live

Yes, that makes sense, and I thought about that too, but you said it 'most likely didn't change'. But should we also use present tense when the character died or disappeared?
Old 2003-12-20, 18:16

Hmm...

You've got a point there...
I used in my articles the present tense even if the characters died, but I guess you are right...

So maybe from now on I'll use the past tense in such cases, as well as changing the tenses in the existing articles when needed, ASAP .
Old 2003-12-20, 18:49
Ben Folds live

I thought about it again for some time, and I'm not sure yet... We need some more opinions; unfortunately not many people view this forum.

This new 'rule' might give problems with characters/buildings that appeared in LBA1 only. I think it's quite logic that the Teleportation Center would have disappeared after LBA1 (at least it's not well protected anymore), but did Funky Town survive? And Bob Vertix?

The different tenses used in the articles might mix up things a bit. A clear solution would be: all LBA1-only articles in past tense. What would you think of that?

The thing is, do we consider the Twinsunica written on Twinsun indeed some short time after LBA2 (like you said) or as a general encyclopedia to the universe of Twinsun, that is actually describing the games what they look like at the time you are actually playing the game? In the last case we might better use the present tense for everything.
Old 2003-12-25, 00:45
Ben Folds live

morshem, what's your opinion?
Old 2003-12-25, 09:10

I have no idea actually...

I waited for wacko to reply here, but infortunately he didn't .

Hold on, I'll have to think about that...
Old 2004-07-16, 21:29

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Present tense

Nothing is really past tense. Everything that happens in LBA STILL happens once you play the game.

"Twinsen got captured by FunFrock" is wrong because, as you re-play the game, he is STILL captured by FunFrock. No past tense needed. For the most part, things should be in the present.
Old 2004-07-16, 21:36

But then it looks like a walkthrough .
Old 2004-07-16, 21:39

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
That depends on how you write it. You can write it like a walkthrough or a book summary. The style is what matters.

Of course, if you are specifically looking for that "Encyclopedia" feel where all the history is recorded in past tense, that's another story. Although, in that case, you have to aproach it carefuly, since stuff can easily end up sounding cheesy.