Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2010-07-03, 13:36
First time poster

Exclamation LBA2: poor graphics/visual quality- is it normal or abnormal ???

Greetings to LBA fans!

I think I have a problem with LBA2 if it's going about graphic quality of this game and please anyone for help if possible.
The game is downloaded from ######## & going without problems, sound is ok, no display/color distortions but I think the general QUALITY of graphic is very poor. Intro movie is very poor quality and the whole world of this game. It looks like it has 256 colours or resolution of 320x200 :-) or something like that.

I was playing LBA 1 about 15 years ago and therefrom what I remember the graphic was very pretty and the cutscenes were visually great so I think it's rather impossible that sequel has worst quality than prequel :-). Everywhere I see pixels very clearly including cutscenes and generally the game is simply visually ugly and I don't feel any joy playing it while I was amazed playing LBA 1. So I think something's wrong & stinks

I've also tried to launch the game under DosBox but I've got a problem with sound. I cannot choose any sound card available in setsound.exe because I've always got a final message: "Could not save configuration file". The current sound card is always Gravis Ultrasound and the game doesn't want to run without sound configuration. Maybe in DosBox mode the game could look differently. So if somebody knows how to fix this my sound problem in DosBox please for reply.

Maybe some of you have the same bad feeling about the visuality of LBA2. Maybe it's question of resolution or my PC is too new to operate this game well like it originally should look. I've also tried to launch the game under compatibility mode in XP but also no results (the same look).

Is there a possibility to change the game resolution somehow ?
Is there a possibility to achieve better quality installing some patch ?
Is there a possibility to achieve better quality using DosBox ?

I've attached screenshots with dosbox messages. Unfortunalety I'm unable to do a print screen from the game because printed screens are simply black! I also did it using Gadwin PrintScreen and it works but the screenshots look differently than original in the game!

My PC specifications are: XP SP3, directX 9.0c, Athlon 64 3000+, mainboard MSI K8N Neo4-FI, Galaxy GeForce 7600GS.

I'll be thankful for any help & suggestions, cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lba2_dosbox_1.JPG‎
Views:	177
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	8425   Click image for larger version

Name:	lba2_dosbox_2.JPG‎
Views:	182
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	8426  

Last edited by elmuerte; 2010-07-04 at 14:49.
Old 2010-07-03, 14:07
Magic Ball Master

Have you tried going into LBA2's own options menu (F4) and adjusting the graphics & video quality there?

And do not link to illegal download sites.
Old 2010-07-03, 20:54
Lemonhead

This is pretty much what it should look like:

If it looks different to the above image, then you need to install Funnyfrog's patch. Otherwise you just had overly high expectations.. a fairly hard feat considering LBA2 is a very beautiful game.
Old 2010-07-03, 22:57
Magic Ball Master

It's an old game. I think your nostalgia is overtaking your senses. LBA 2 is more than a decade old, and didn't exactly push the graphics envelope in 1997 anyways. Still, graphics never were what I fell in love with about LBA, it was the atmosphere.

I still have yet to find a game that matches that feeling I got from LBA/LBA2. A few have come close...Bioshock maybe, in terms of atmosphere that sucked you in.
Old 2010-07-04, 06:07
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
It's an old game. I think your nostalgia is overtaking your senses. LBA 2 is more than a decade old, and didn't exactly push the graphics envelope in 1997 anyways. Still, graphics never were what I fell in love with about LBA, it was the atmosphere.

I still have yet to find a game that matches that feeling I got from LBA/LBA2. A few have come close...Bioshock maybe, in terms of atmosphere that sucked you in.
For me, Curse of Monkey Island is the only real rival when it comes to atmosphere, immersion and believability. Which is kind of strange, because it's a completely ridiculous game. It came out in the same year as LBA2, I think. Other games, mostly adventures, have come close.

Last edited by Jast; 2010-07-04 at 06:14.
Old 2010-07-04, 16:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post

But LBA 2 has a resolution of 640x480 and not 320x200.
Old 2010-07-05, 13:50
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
But LBA 2 has a resolution of 640x480 and not 320x200.
True, but even with a higher resolution, the models are (by today's standards) a bit primitive. I'm just saying, it wasn't a bad looking game but it also wasn't the Crysis of 1997, and people who are playing it in 2010 need to accept that it was made more than a decade ago.