Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2003-07-23, 12:50
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Running LBA1 - at all!

Hey guys!

There's a couple of problems with me running LBA1 - and yes, we bought the real CD, not a rip!

My system is running Win XP and I have a TNT2 card. I have LBAWin - signed up as a beta tester - but LBA simply won't work, at all. I figure the reason it won't work in Windows is coz it won't work in DOS.

I remember when we first bought it, there was a piece of paper in the box which told you how to alter config.sys and autoexec.bat in order to create a DOS-prompt that noticed your CD-drive. Unfortunately, I can't find that piece of paper Does anyone know what I have to do?

Oh, and i'm unsing Legacy onboard sound as well - off an old AMD Athlon 500 board (and that was an upgrade!). Does anyone know what settings I should use for sound and video?

Thanks a bunch!

Jen xxx :OP
Old 2003-07-23, 14:38
Magic Ball Master

If you're using LbaWin, it shouldn't be a problem at all, since it's totally independent from DOS now. All you need to do is to make sure you have DirectX installed and your video/sound cards are DirectX compatible. Then it should work straight away.

Are you sure you're starting the LbaWin executable (from the start menu)?
Old 2003-07-23, 14:48

Yes - I've tried it from both the shortcut off the desktop and the option in the start menu. And I think I've got DirectX 8, but don't quote me on that. I'm at work, I can't check 'til I get home

And I'm cycling. In the rain. In a t-shirt and shorts. *crying*

I've had a look at some of the earlier posts and i'm going to try to get it working in DOS first.
Old 2003-07-23, 22:18
Magic Ball Master

Doesn't LbaWin give you an error message by the way?
Does it start at all?
If it does, at what point does it crash / pop out?

start > run > 'dxdiag'
is a good application to see if all your hardware is DX compatible..

Oh yeah, where did you install LBA? And where did you install LbaWin?
You first need to install LBA and then LbaWin in the exact same directory.
Old 2003-07-24, 11:17

It got all the way to the dream sequence yesterday then as the camera angle changes to look at Twinsen on the Dino-Fly, the visuals froze, although the music kept playing. It's only done this once though, it's more likely to get to the first Adeline screen then hang or get to the electronic arts logo then hang.

And yes, LBAWin is in the same directory.
Old 2003-07-25, 03:09
Magic Level: Red Ball

If it doesn't crash at the same place every time, perhaps you should check the disc for scratches and/or grease (fingerprints etc). Can you run other games? Are you running any other applications at the same time (Virus protection, Outlook, ICQ, anything)?
Old 2003-07-28, 12:12

Thanks for all your help guys - but it turned out that it was my Direct X screwing up. Disabled it, and now no problems

In fact, I'm already in the Northern Hemisphere!

Jen xxx P