Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-01-12, 15:56
Idyllic + whimsical

The effect of old writings

Do you ever read something old that you've written, and your writing style was different back then, and then when you come to write straight afterwards then for a moment your writing is affected by the mentality of the old writing?

Like I just read something I wrote when I was 10, and I slightly felt like I'm back in the '90s and I wanted to write like I did back then. It wasn't a strong feeling but when I started to write a sentence I suddenly had an urge to write it like I would 11 years ago.

This also happened to me in a different way, I read some old #lba log and then I felt a bit like I'm in 2004, I suddenly forgot the current situation I am in life.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-01-12, 16:41
Magic Ball Master

Absolutely. Particularly in my college writings. As a grad student, I look back on what I did as an undergrad - which I thought was decent at the time - and see how many things I would change. Same with things I wrote in high school.

I think the key is putting things in context. Remember that each time you write, you're slowly improving yourself and learning new techniques and styles, so you can't be too hard on yourself for your earlier writings.
Old 2008-01-12, 22:24
You what?!

Mostly when I read something I've written in the past it either confuses me because I don't remember saying/typing it (this also happens with messages I've sent only a few seconds before...) or it makes me cringe.
But about forgetting when/where you are, then yeah I agree.
Old 2008-01-12, 22:55
weee

Yep. I guess I do it in order to try getting closer to the memory of that time, out of curiosity, and stuff.

I liek threads like this one, good job 2k!
Old 2008-01-13, 11:31
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
actually when I read something I wrote years ago, I can't help myself not to laugh at how childish I could express myself and how 'stupid' I was back then and I find it incredible how that stupid little kid has evolved into what I am today
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-01-13, 12:32
Idyllic + whimsical

I think some of you missed my point, it's not about thinking I was stupid or not as smart back then, it's about kind of transforming to who I was back then for a while, and also feeling like I'm actually back in that time on some subconscious level.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-01-13, 12:49
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K View Post
I think some of you missed my point, it's not about thinking I was stupid or not as smart back then, it's about kind of transforming to who I was back then for a while, and also feeling like I'm actually back in that time on some subconscious level.
no, I do not.
Old 2008-01-13, 13:13
Previously Link

Yes, that thing happened to me.
I used to have a diary, and when I read some things I had written years before, I felt like this different person I was back then, that's really weird. Sometimes it teaches you something about yourself. Unfortunately I dropped this diary one day because I was afraid someone would find it. I started a new one recently, and even going back to the person you were a few months ago can be surprising.
Old 2008-01-13, 14:28
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
yeah it does seem different when i look through old stuff.. somehow i feel like i was not being true to myself when i was younger.. but i could have been like that... i can't remember
Old 2008-01-13, 14:40
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Writings don't really do that for me, if that's the direction we're going.

People, memories, yes. They take me back to a time and place where I can no longer return (kind of like the old phrase, "you can't go home again,"). You can visit those places, and remember fond memories, but the people - the ones who made it special, or unique, or memorable - have gone, and so it's never the same place you remembered. If I see someone who I associate with particularly strong memories, it brings back a flood of emotions that can be both good and bad.

You can't dwell upon the past.

Then again, if that's the case, maybe I'm in the wrong profession?
Old 2008-01-13, 16:33
Father of Shoda

I can really relate to this I feel like Im back in the ol' days, and remember what I thought back then, but to be completely onest, I don't feel that different from when I was like 9 and now, just a bit smarter and more sad since my life now can't be compared to my childhood happy times!

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-01-15, 17:18
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
nope
but once i had that when after school i had to go directly to a friend's house by her mother's car.
That doesn't happen much to me but I did that quite often when i was 7 and for a second i felt like we had to watch dragon ball while eating together as i did when i was 7, and for some reason was about to throw up
Old 2008-01-15, 18:58
weee

Don't be so mean to your past self!

And on a stupid association...that reminds me of the Drawn Together episode "Nipple Ring-Ring Goes to Foster Care". Captain Hero finds a way communicate with his past self, and talks him into doing horrible traumatizing things to himself. Because when he was a kid, some jerk did the same thing to him, and he swore to someday get revenge by doing the same to some other kid