Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2016-05-22, 11:23
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,578
brainstorm: how to make lba 3 a reality

So it looks like the chat gave the makers some food for thought.
The idea of this thread is to think of wild ideas to get the needed budget, out of the box/inside the box, anything to bring back life to the franchise.
I'll chime in:

1. make a smaller lba 3, kickstart it, try get additional funds.
Maybe if the game is smaller and in isometric mode, you can still get that lba2 feel that is populair, and you can make a big lba 4 with the storyline of lba3 as it is intended now.

2. pitch a game that falls into populair genres of today, but within the twinsun world. Like a racing game like mario kart or a twinsen racing game, but with awesome gameplay. this brings life to the universe of lba, making room for lba 3.

How about a hamalayi raid shooter?

A football game? :')
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2016-05-22, 13:19
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 23,836
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Theres cheaper genres to make, but the problem is oversaturation. Any of those things have not only hundreds of games, but the chances are a well known brand has a Steam offer next week for $5 or something.
LBA needs to be its own thing, even if its a different own thing, just to stand out.

For that reason I certainly go with "smaller" version of the traditional gameplay, with my specific thinking being just "LBA Islands" each Island being a episode. Small self-contained stories on each island, but linking together as more are added.

Quote:
A football game? :')
Not sure it still works but you know...thats been done :P
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2016-05-23, 13:25
Styx's Avatar
Styx Styx is offline
Panta rei
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Constantly moving
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
1. make a smaller lba 3, kickstart it, try get additional funds.
Maybe if the game is smaller and in isometric mode, you can still get that lba2 feel that is populair, and you can make a big lba 4 with the storyline of lba3 as it is intended now.
As much as I'd like to see a spin off lba racing game, I think this is the best bet if fred doesn't get proper funding straight away. However, I think we would be so exhausted after getting a small lba3 to reality that waiting for lba4 would drain the life out of us (and we might all be 50 by then).

What about following that idea, but still only focussing on lba3?

What I mean is creating/crowdfunding a demo of lba3 with very limited % of the total game completed but the small % that is done is basically finished. That could be used as a pitch or like a tv 'pilot' for companies to get interested in. Maybe then fred could get the real kashes? The demo could have as little as one outdoor and one indoor scene, no voice acting but complete dialogs, fully rendered scenes and characters and a couple of music tracks. If you bundled that with a full script, storyline and concept art wouldn't it make an attractive product?
__________________
Everything begins with a choice
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2016-05-23, 14:02
NickZah's Avatar
NickZah NickZah is offline
Magic Level: Green Ball
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
I think that this topic is useless, because this is job for Frederick and his team. They know better what to do. All we can do - find professional developers team who will work for two years for free or for very little money. LOL. Anyway I don't want cheap kickstarter game like Armikrog, Carmageddon, Wateland 2 or Broken Age. Many fans wrote that they agree LBA3 with using LBA2 engine. However it is a crazy idea (thereby decrease the audience for new game) and whether it is possible.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2016-05-23, 14:05
Kasia's Avatar
Kasia Kasia is offline
~
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
lba3 with very limited % of the total game completed but the small % that is done is basically finished.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that creating a perfectly polished version of a part of the game would mean a need of hiring a full set of employees and making them work for months in order to achieve that? Isn't the initial part of development the most bothersome and expensive? I thought that once you've managed to complete one chapter, it's not that hard to develop the game further, but the challenging part is to actually make it work in the first place (= engine, tools, textures, this sort of stuff).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2016-05-23, 15:03
Styx's Avatar
Styx Styx is offline
Panta rei
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Constantly moving
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZah View Post
I think that this topic is useless, because this is job for Frederick and his team.
Actually, both Fred and Didier asked us to discuss what we would like to see in lba3 for them to get some ideas too.

And this thread is for a discussion. Sharing ideas is interesting and facilitates learning. I have little knowledge of the gaming industry and game making, and I have already learned much thanks to the input of other members. That's the point of a forum.

Also, broken age is a very nice game and I didn't know that it was crowdfunded, how can you say it's bad, especially because it was, as you say, cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that creating a perfectly polished version of a part of the game would mean a need of hiring a full set of employees and making them work for months in order to achieve that? Isn't the initial part of development the most bothersome and expensive? I thought that once you've managed to complete one chapter, it's not that hard to develop the game further, but the challenging part is to actually make it work in the first place (= engine, tools, textures, this sort of stuff).
If the development has such a steep exponential hill at the beginning then perhaps you're right Kasia. I was going along the thought that a small portion wouldn't require too much money and time relative to the overall project. I wasn't even considering an entire chapter, just a small demo, maybe showcasing some interactions with objects or weapons. But I can see how the engine development can be resource-heavy and essential to even start doing anything...
__________________
Everything begins with a choice

Last edited by Styx; 2016-05-23 at 16:46.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2016-05-23, 16:15
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
To make LBA 3 a reality we need a community business plan like any other business that start, they need a plan. I think we gotta find how we can chime in and give real help. On my side I could:

- Make a website collecting signatures for a petition.

- Same website would have pre-written email templates dedicated to different game production house.

- Make professional promotional videos for free for any LBA related.

- Make more LBA stream to help the cause.

What I can't do but can try to :

- Implement LBA 3 advertising in the steam and gog version. Add LBA 3 advertising on the gog page.

- Contact AGDQ and get the game on there.
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2016-05-23, 16:40
NickZah's Avatar
NickZah NickZah is offline
Magic Level: Green Ball
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Actually, both Fred and Didier asked us to discuss what we would like to see in lba3 for them to get some ideas too.
Yes, I heard about it on Twitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Also, broken age is a very nice game and I didn't know that it was crowdfunded, how can you say it's bad, especially because it was, as you say, cheap?
This is average game. Broken Age raising over 3.5 million dollars. When Tim Schafer start a crowdfunding of this project, the game don't have a title (and probably story). But people paid, they thought that they would get something similar with Full Throttle or Grim Fandango. Eventually they got completely different episodic game. First episode was nice, but second episode was delayed and disappointed many players after release. The game looks not so interesting compared with quests from Lucas Arts (buut we have Elijah Wood).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2016-05-23, 17:48
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZah View Post
This is average game. Broken Age raising over 3.5 million dollars. When Tim Schafer start a crowdfunding of this project, the game don't have a title (and probably story). But people paid, they thought that they would get something similar with Full Throttle or Grim Fandango. Eventually they got completely different episodic game. First episode was nice, but second episode was delayed and disappointed many players after release. The game looks not so interesting compared with quests from Lucas Arts (buut we have Elijah Wood).
Broken Age looks awesome and remembers me awesome point and click like Full Throttle, DOTT, etc. But no it's not LBA.
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2016-05-23, 21:59
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,578
wut?

what???

where?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Theres cheaper genres to make, but the problem is oversaturation. Any of those things have not only hundreds of games, but the chances are a well known brand has a Steam offer next week for $5 or something.
LBA needs to be its own thing, even if its a different own thing, just to stand out.

For that reason I certainly go with "smaller" version of the traditional gameplay, with my specific thinking being just "LBA Islands" each Island being a episode. Small self-contained stories on each island, but linking together as more are added.


Not sure it still works but you know...thats been done :P
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2016-05-23, 22:01
Neko's Avatar
Neko Neko is offline
Neko
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,578
agreed! this would not work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that creating a perfectly polished version of a part of the game would mean a need of hiring a full set of employees and making them work for months in order to achieve that? Isn't the initial part of development the most bothersome and expensive? I thought that once you've managed to complete one chapter, it's not that hard to develop the game further, but the challenging part is to actually make it work in the first place (= engine, tools, textures, this sort of stuff).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2016-05-23, 23:04
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 23,836
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Very old darkbasic game I made;
https://www.magicball.net/downloads?page=4

Its pretty shitty. But hay, its 3D!

---
Quote:
Isn't the initial part of development the most bothersome and expensive? I thought that once you've managed to complete one chapter, it's not that hard to develop the game furthe
Not quite.
The first bits certainly true - initially you need to make your engine, and probably a editor, in order to make anything at all. Thats something you dont need to repeat for each other episode.

However, how much that is of the total work in terms of % would then depend on the size of those episodes. You need to plan out, script, model and texture the unique bits, bugtest etc.

Its "easier" but in terms of manhours, I suspect most games the majority of the development time will be "fleshing out" phase after the core engine is made.
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff

Last edited by Darkflame; 2016-05-23 at 23:15.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2016-05-24, 08:05
Kasia's Avatar
Kasia Kasia is offline
~
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
in terms of manhours, I suspect most games the majority of the development time will be "fleshing out" phase after the core engine is made.
Yeah, I guess so. A statement like "We wanted the game to be longer, but we've run out of time/money" can be heard quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
initially you need to make your engine, and probably a editor, in order to make anything at all. Thats something you dont need to repeat for each other episode.
Right. And my point was that this initial part, despite being non-recurring, may already be a too big financial burden for a team with a small budget.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2016-05-24, 11:29
Styx's Avatar
Styx Styx is offline
Panta rei
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Constantly moving
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Very old darkbasic game I made;
https://www.magicball.net/downloads?page=4
Which one am I looking at here?
__________________
Everything begins with a choice
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2016-05-24, 14:53
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 23,836
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
LBAball is the football one.
It hasnt even got AI, two people controll the characters and try to knock the ball into the goal.
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2016-05-24, 15:46
Necdilzor's Avatar
Necdilzor Necdilzor is offline
New efforts! :)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tiliar Island
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
The first bits certainly true - initially you need to make your engine, and probably a editor, in order to make anything at all. Thats something you dont need to repeat for each other episode.
And here they could use Unreal Engine 4 or Unity3D "for free" during development of the game instead of investing in developing their own. Not sure how viable this option is for them, but I think it's worth consideration especially when talking about multi-platform release.

Graphically speaking, I think a new LBA could use a graphic style like Skyward Sword. I think it fits with LBA. In my opinion, a very realistic graphic style is not worth it.
__________________

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2016-05-24, 19:20
NickZah's Avatar
NickZah NickZah is offline
Magic Level: Green Ball
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necdilzor View Post
Graphically speaking, I think a new LBA could use a graphic style like Skyward Sword. I think it fits with LBA. In my opinion, a very realistic graphic style is not worth it.
Looks very cartoony. I think graphics of Lara Croft Temple Of Osiris much better for LBA 3.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2016-05-27, 01:47
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 9,487
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
i'm willing to take part in any ideas that involve dick pics basically
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
there's no room for subtleties, which are so important in personalities such as mine.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2016-05-27, 11:58
Polaris's Avatar
Polaris Polaris is offline
Polly parrot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tippett Island
Posts: 5,868
That's the spirit
__________________
<((((((((((((([[[========================]]])))))))))))))>
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2016-05-27, 13:42
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 23,836
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Dick pic shader tech is likely too expensive.
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So how was your day? - The Alternate Reality Version! ChaosFish Off topic 33 2013-04-03 13:18
Take a Reality Check SpaceGuitarist Off topic 7 2010-12-13 12:13
Augmented Reality ChaosFish Off topic 103 2008-06-23 19:05
CGI project turned into reality.. SpaceGuitarist Fan Art 8 2005-02-03 18:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:01.


News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, the Magicball Network