Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2003-10-08, 19:46
Gregorius

XP Help Required

Is there anyone around here who would know how to solve this problem?

I just changed the registration key of XP (I had a temporaray one that expired just recently and now I bought an official, final key) but since I changed it the volume setting icon and the active internet connection icons wouldn't show up on the taskbar. Since the volume setter of my speakers is broke I can't set the volume quickly either by software or hardware. The volume icon can be switched on in the settings -> audio devices sound and voice options, but wouldn't stay there the next startup. The internet connection wouldn't show up even if I check the box in the connections -> properties tab. I can't disconnect only by logging off XP. Help, Please.

Gregorius' Corner (http://www.gregoriuscorner.com)
Old 2003-10-08, 22:14
Still in a dream...

Why not try to reinstall windows? but, just install it over the current copy so your main settings and registry are saved.
Old 2003-10-09, 01:28
Gregorius

Would I lose installed programs and/or Hard Drive content? PS.: I have a split OS, on drive C: I have Me, and on D: I have XP, would it still work without messing everything up?

Gregorius' Corner (http://www.gregoriuscorner.com)
Old 2003-10-09, 11:46
Still in a dream...

You might need to reinstall programs which rely on registry settings such as MS Office and perhaps some games, but other than that, nothing should be swipped.

Your best bet would be to copy all your important files from your windows drive to another partition, and then do a reinstall. You may need to reinstall any programs on your windows hard drive, if hey rely on registry settings, like MSOffice.

if something is really buggered up, then backup everything and do a complete reinstall, ie, a format install.