Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > The Relentless Movie project

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Relentless Movie project The general for of The Relentless Movie Project. The goal of this project is to make a CG movie of Relentless.

Old 2005-08-22, 23:00
Wish of eternity...

Send a message via ICQ to Firephoenix
RMP regeneration

Hi guys,

I've finished my Maths Physics praparation school and thanks to awesome marks in English and Guided Personal Initiative Works, in spite of my errors in sciences, I join the excellent School of Telecommunications in Paris. So the next 3 years, I should have much more time for personnal development and thus for my multimedia projects.
So now that I'm back from the W.Y.D, and just before the beginning of the engineer school, I think it's time for a reunion on the future of the RMP.

Considered the amount of creations already hoarded, and the promises of that project, I personnally consider it'd be a pity to drop it now. On the other hand I dont feel like modelling the entire world of Twinsun alone. So I ask now each member of the project what his abilities during the next years are, and how involved he accepts to be. I'd also like to hear from Darkflame how he feels at the moment animation, and the other things.

Also, we'll lose a lot of time of we continue modelling without a real script under the hand (I'm about sure now my proxima museum couldnt be used properly in this movie without giving a boring length in the scenario). So I especially ask scripters what they are ready to do. I'm more and more focusing on script writting, so if no one else is able to do it I'll take care of it, but in this case we'll need fresh ground modelers active, in backup.

Awaiting forum activity,
regards,
FP

------------

Take a time to visit the Relentless Movie Project page.
Old 2005-08-22, 23:59
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firephoenix
Considered the amount of creations already hoarded, and the promises of that project, I personnally consider it'd be a pity to drop it now.
I totally agree with that. I am willing to participate in the project again. Only problem is I don't have 3D Studio Max lying around here anymore and I got a new computer since the last time I participated in the project so I will have to look for a copy of it before I can start modelling again. I hope I can do some bigger scenes with my new computer now too but I'm not sure of that, have to look into that. I will also gladly take up other things that have to be done.

I will start my new school next week so then I will be able to see how much time I can spare for the project. I will let you know as quickly as possible. I really hope we can get the project up and running again .
Old 2005-08-22, 23:59
Magic Ball Master

First of all, sorry for not started yet doin' the administration parts in the new website. I'll try to get a time in it, but I'll finish it don't worry.

The next year will be difficult for me and time will not be much. Apart of the other LBA projects I'm in, I have another project in school that is to make an Automaton Robot to participate in a national contest in May so till there the time will be less. I'm now in the 4th year of the course and nothing easy I expect. Also my free times now are passed with my father that came now from Angola and with my girlfriend, so...

Anyway I want to be in contact with the project somehow.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2005-08-23, 01:42
Magic Ball Master

Mmm, I'm still willing to do all I can for the project. I'd even like to work with the script if possible, like we're doing with the fangames.
Old 2005-08-23, 12:49
On top of the Well

I would like to help, but it was quite a while ago that I joined the project, scriptwriting is the only thing I would be interested in, but I have alot more commitments these days and lots more work. I will however try and help if you want me to.
Old 2005-08-23, 12:50
Previously Link

I can work a bit with the script, i'll do what i can during this next year to help the project (script/modelling)... But i can't promise too much, it will be a small help.
Old 2005-08-23, 13:01
Look beyond reality.

Aye captain; I've been waiting for you to say this for a long time
I learned loads and loads of things for 3dsmax lately, texturing, modelling, all the editable-poly things, splines, etc.
I'll be honored to work on it again, even though I just moved to a very big new school, and it's really hard work over there.

But I'll see what I can do, you know me
Old 2005-08-23, 15:42
Shikkashikka

Send a message via AIM to Dotten
I was really worried about this project, hope it's gonna get finished.
Also i`m trying to make something but i dont have 3ds max anymore, that was only a trail version, but i learned how to use blender 3d, the thing is that blender can't convert to .3ds.
Is there any other format i could use, cause i would really like to continue with this project
if not...is there any other program i could use???
Old 2005-08-23, 16:01
(formerly) lots of numbers

Send a message via MSN to LukeNoNumbers
I wrote a rather odd scene a while ago, that probably ultimately won't be used (I never showed it to anyone), but I could help with the script, and possibly storyboards.
Old 2005-08-23, 16:08
formerly just angry

Well we are certainly filling up with 3d modelling and animation tallent. Personally I no longer feel I have the necessary skills (or time) to work with 3d as I'd have to learn Cinema 4d R8 which is VERY different from R5 and Truespace. Never-the-less I am happy to help with scripting, production, renderfarming etc.
Old 2005-08-23, 16:10
Magic Level: Green Ball

Hi everyone!

I would love to continue with the scripting, but I need to be filled in once again on what needs to be done, and the way that it should be done. I know a lot about how to write ordinary movie scripts professionally, but I need to know how the LBA story is going to be turned into a film.

Anyway, if my help is needed, I am here waiting!
Old 2005-08-23, 19:06
Previously Link

Yeah Sethronn, same for me, i think i could make quite good scripts (maybe not professional) but at least it would help and i'd like to do it rather than modelling...
the problem is i don't know what to do... no script tasks on the site and i dunno where to find what has been done and what needs to be done...
Old 2005-08-23, 19:16
Wish of eternity...

The pages of the site which were dedicated to the script are still unusable, I'll see with alexfont to rebuild them asap.

Anyway, concerning the script, we have to decide shortly the script template. If we dont want boring sequences, we have to cut entire parts of the quest, and modify some nodes to have a real dramatic tension.

There is also something we must think of : will this film be dedicated to young watchers or older ones ? Because if we want real battle scenes, we'll have to modify slightly the character design : having big cartoon elephants and rats torn apart in battle might alas give a humorous/nonsense feeling, and I dunno whether it's the point.

------------

Old 2005-08-23, 19:39
Toppocket2002

I've been waiting... so yeah... I'm still willing to help. lol
Old 2005-08-23, 22:31

Quote:
There is also something we must think of : will this film be dedicated to young watchers or older ones ? Because if we want real battle scenes, we'll have to modify slightly the character design : having big cartoon elephants and rats torn apart in battle might alas give a humorous/nonsense feeling, and I dunno whether it's the point.
I don't think there should be any blood, because it's such a toylike world. The sound effects and the Bob Clampett-like way some of the characters moved or reacted (I remember particularly the guards sort of bouncing upwards when you hit them with the ball) always gave the battle a funny feeling, and the film should have that comedy. Matrix or LOTR-like action sequences probably wouldn't be appropriate. Enemies could fall off cliffs or land in water or be knocked out, but there wouldn't have to be any blood, just a few bruises. Even in the Twinsen v. Funfrock fight at the end, where they (presumably) both use swords, they could mainly be parrying eachother's attacks. This probably sounds really stupid, but have you ever seen the Disney animated Robin Hood? Take the fighting sequences from that, make them more intense without removing the comedy, and that may well be enough. If not, at least the comical sound effects should remain.
Old 2005-08-23, 23:11
Rolling

Hi everybody. Congratulations for your achievements, Firephoenix! I didn't know that you were thinking of studying telecomunications. Good luck with that.

About the RMP: Sure, I'd like to help, but I'm not sure if I was of any help in the past. Since the past year I 'm incredibly busy with the university (plus some family matters). I told you a few months ago that I was working in a 3d model for the RMP (a horse), and I freezed it when the first exams started. I guess that I was afraid to ask you about the status of the proyect... I didn't know if it was still alive. Now I see there are interested people... so I think I could re-start the model very soon (it was almost ready, except that I modeled the head and the body separately, so it needed to be fused - and textured)

I'm hoping to finish the most important patr of my career this year. Computer sciences is a 5 year career here (plus the time you need to develop your final proyect/tesis). Even with that, I believe that I would cooperate with a few models.
Old 2005-08-24, 12:01
formerly just angry

I agree with FP here maybe the characters, especially the clones need a bit more edge! Maybe some proper armouring or something similar, giving them more of a sci-fi/fantasy edge, spikes, armour, lots of hydraulic piping etc etc
Old 2005-08-24, 12:05

Okay, I agree that we have to sort something out about the storyline. I really don't know about the violence part... to be honest I don't think it would matter either way, considering it will look relatively cartoony however it's done, even if there's blood.

How is the storyline going to be worked out? As I remember, it's really difficult to make decisions, because when you turn this forum into a democracy nobody can agree, and it just goes on and on without fruition! Any ideas?
Old 2005-08-24, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_angry_monkey
I agree with FP here maybe the characters, especially the clones need a bit more edge! Maybe some proper armouring or something similar, giving them more of a sci-fi/fantasy edge, spikes, armour, lots of hydraulic piping etc etc
I agree with that, if anyone's prepared to model them like this! I don't have any experience with 3D modelling, though I can design things if need be... Who else agrees with this?
Old 2005-08-24, 12:45

If someone's willing to model them, I could try some drawings from different viewpoints to help with the modelling, and make them a little more threatening. The supergros and skeletons could (and probably should) be very creepy, though the quetch clones should probably keep their bumbling nature that they had in the game.

As for the storyline, I seem to remember that there was a bit of trouble as to how the plot could actually be established. In the game, there's a narrator speaking, but in the film a prologue might not work. I suppose the film could start with a sort of biased 'Twinsunian newsreel', saying how wonderful the good Doctor is giving the planet all these technological advances, and that the rebels and those who believe in the legend are enemies; then it could cut to Twinsen's dream. Twinsen can wake up from the dream in the asylum, try to escape, fail (be stunned by one of the groboclones), be taken to the office where, in the game, he is hit by Funfrock, and then in the office we can show that Funfrock is the villain and Twinsen the hero (this would be easy to establish if Funfrock hits Twinsen a few times). Then, refusing to talk, Twinsen is thrown back into his cell, but then succeeds in escaping by disguising as a nurse. When he reaches his house, when the clones arrive, he could hide in a barrel in the cellar and come across the text of the Ancient Prophecy for the first time. That would (sort of) establish most of the plot without having a prologue.
Old 2005-08-24, 14:31
Previously Link

i think that it would be a mistake to show the villain before the end of the movie...
showing funfrock in the beggining of the movie would make the duality between the good/the villain too apparent and the movie would look like superman or any other comic movie... i don't think that it's lba's tone...
Old 2005-08-24, 15:40
formerly just angry

/me agrees with Link. I think the atmosphere of LBA is one of a struggle against the state rather than Funfrock himself. Therefore the enemy should feel like they are all around and not just personified in Frunfrock. Seeing the leader of the opression should be one of the climax points of the movie
Old 2005-08-24, 20:56

Now that you say that, that's probably a better idea. Perhaps his actual face could not be revealed until he captures Twinsen at the fortress. Until then, if there is a need to cut to him scheming, it could be hidden, and only his voice could be heard. (I suppose that scene in the asylum office could still be included, if Funfrock's face remained in shadow, but I hink your point is that the hero and villain don't actually meet until later.
Old 2005-08-25, 00:49

I don't think FunFrock should appear until very late on. I remember when playing the game for the first time (many years ago lol) that when I first saw FunFrock in the gameplay it was one of the most shocking and frightening moments, and I think the same would apply in the movie.

I agree about the rest though. Prologues can seem a bit heavy...

What do you think, Firephoenix?? And whatever happened to Darkflame? I thought he was the official leader of this project, and one of the main modellers/animators... :S
Old 2005-08-25, 11:54
Wish of eternity...

Yep reaching FF should be a tension node of the script.

The wepage is 85% rebuilt now, I've just let the creation displayers up to Alexfont.

BTW - does anyone know what DF does ? We need to know his possibilities asap to organize the restart.

------------