Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Prequel
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA Prequel The goal of this project is to make a prequel of LBA1 using the original engine. (homepage)

Old 2007-10-11, 01:54
Magic Ball Master

The engine itself, and some of the necessary files needed for the game to run, are on the disk, and for some reason, will not work outside of that. Sorry for my non-technical knowledge of this issue - I'd ask Alex, Zink, or Obras, as they can supply a much better answer that probably would be more informative.
Old 2007-10-11, 01:58
..whatever..

Send a message via AIM to Drummerbummer67
oh yeah i think i know what you mean probably stuff like dogs4w or whatever the program is.. yeah if one of them can read this that'd be great so does that mean the lba disk can just be fully installed or will it be needed to run since some of the files are transfered to the computer?
Old 2007-10-11, 02:08
Magic Ball Master

I don't think it will need to be installed, I think you simply will need it in your optical drive.

Basically, what you need for the Prequel:

1.) The Prequel file package.
2.) LBAWin (may be included in the package).
3.) LBA 1 disc.

And, hopefully obviously,

4.) A PC that can run LBAWin/LBA 1.

Hope this helps!
Old 2007-10-11, 02:15
..whatever..

oh ok that makes sence then.. it should be very intresting to play. i'm really excited to play it..
Old 2007-10-11, 17:36
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
ISO would be a hazzle and a waste of resources probably. As hazzle, I both mean to make a loader and for people to download daemon tools.

An idea is to have HQR archives download-able? So you can overwrite the files in your LBA folder, if that is not enough automation maybe someone can make an installer, just copy the LBAWin installer but just replace the changed files, would take 5 mins to do.

I think the LBAWin installer is open for everyone, El knows this I think since he made it.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-10-11, 18:13
Magic Ball Master

Again, that may be the way to go. I just am not the technical person to ask such questions.

As far as LBAWin, I thought that was written by Sebastien Vianney?
Old 2007-10-11, 18:15
Magic Ball Master

Yes, but the latest installer was coded by El I think.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-10-11, 18:26
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
Yes, but the latest installer was coded by El I think.
Yep, as said on the LBAWin website.
Old 2007-10-11, 22:39
..whatever..

i'm going to backtrack iso doesn't mean you need daemon tools you can download it into a disk and hard install it to your computer and daemons tools isn't a hassel to download all it does is create a virtual drive so your computer thinks it has a cd in the drive when it doesn't it commonly is used with iso files but every iso file can also be downloaded to a cd and onto your computer..
Old 2007-10-12, 00:32
Magic Ball Master

The idea to use a CD version is also to include a better soundtrack quality something we only will get if we use CD Tracks. Also if we didn't use CD, LBAWin will only work with a cracked version, something we don't wanna have for our project at least for now and only if we really decide to release a floppy disk version.
I also had this idea to use El installer and it will be very functional if we use a CD.

The things we are concerning are about how much space people want to download from our game, if a CD is too much or few. This stills an issue for us because we will probably use more CD tracks instead of midis, which need much more space, and also because we plan to make a good amount of FLA Movies which even with compression, it takes much space.
Thats why we were thinking about releasing different versions, a big one with more than a CD storage (if thats will be the case in future), a less than CD version, and a floppy disk version with the most important files only.

Still, we need to make tests with the demo to find out what will be the best option to use and to had an idea of how many space we'll need according with music tracks and fla movies.

But probably, the demo will come in a CD image first.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2007-10-12, 00:58
..whatever..

yeah i'm happy to see you on alexfont.. so are you looking at a iso file? will you plan on using a dff or txt for the model of higespire(SP??). and yeah i think the idea of having differnt download sizes is really a great idea.
Old 2007-10-12, 17:24
Magic Ball Mister

And also as an idea to not put so much stress on the servers would to also release the CD image through a torrent for us who use it to get most CD images - Eg, Ubuntu, Fedora, Etc.
I like this idea of releasing the game in an image.
Also, wouldn't it be smart to burn the image to a CD with something like Nero instead of mounting the image?
Old 2007-10-12, 17:38
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebZ View Post
Also, wouldn't it be smart to burn the image to a CD with something like Nero instead of mounting the image?
That's what I would do.
Old 2007-10-14, 18:36
Magic Ball Master

The CD wouldn't contain the LBA(win) executable, right?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-10-14, 21:19
Magic Ball Master

I don't know. You'd have to ask Alex.
Old 2007-10-15, 01:09
Magic Ball Master

Depends. We're still thinking if we should hack LbaWin to use Prequel CD label plus LbaWin window with Prequel name inside . We're still warned about not sharing LbaWin till it get version 1. Anyway, the original executable will surely be inside. We plan to have a original engine file, LbaWin and DosBox versions.

Old 2007-10-15, 17:54
Magic Ball Master

Isn't the whole thing about the LBA program/executable is copyrighted?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-10-15, 17:56
Magic Ball Master

I think so, but we're in fairly consistent contact with Fred, so maybe we can come up with something.
Old 2007-10-19, 14:56
Magic Ball Master

He support us making the game, so I think there isn't any problem about releasing the game with it. We can also take them off from the CD and you all know that isn't so difficult to find the engine exe around the net. We'll still give credits to all Adeline team.

Old 2007-10-22, 06:06
..whatever..

since this is an interviewing fourm i wanted to ask which lba game you had gotten first (i used you so it's a general question for whoever to answer) and what had gotten you into the game.. like i wonder because i see the prequel team and everyone has really good talents in certain areas to create a great team. so what got everyone into lba..

I know for me i had lba2 first and i got it with my computer gateway 98 and it came free with it along with another game and i played it and enjoyed it very much then bought lba1 off of ebay..
Old 2007-10-22, 12:08
Magic Ball Master

Moderation: I move the interview thread offtopic to this thread. You can now freely talk about the demo here.

Regarding previous questions, I bought LBA2 first but played LBA1 first. So this mean, I actually prefer LBA1. Now I have almost all LBA versions outside which I bought them on eBay as well.

One thing I have sure all the team have, we all like LBA too much . Most of them prefer LBA2, if I'm not wrong, but that doesn't mean we can't actually work together in LBA1 engine. The team was picked up with determinate proposes and I can say I'm really glad for all the progress we have so far and all the hard work and time they spend with it, even not having so much time for it.
As a quick answer to another question, I can say I wanted to make a LBA game because I start being very interesting in learning how LBA was made, and all the tools we've been making, let me think we can actually do it.

Now as a side note for the demo, I can say we've been working as much as possible in the last days and some of the tasks we scheduled to be done are a bit delayed, but others are now completed. I can say the demo script is done, and all the information we need to make to story script with the exception of the game flag list (action lists) which I'll need to rewrite in the next days. The demo will have a bit of the original LBA Prequel story, but will also have something different that happens only in the demo that happen before the actual story.

The main goal of this demo, isn't to have all the things perfect (in a matter of design) and than show it, but something we can actually improve with all the fans help. We know we don't have so much new layouts for this demo, but we want to improve them all and create them with your help. It will be much easier for us if we could get fans feedback about the work we've been done, and the things you all thing needs to be changed, corrected or simply remove it. So we're counting on you all...

Old 2007-10-22, 16:00
Magic Ball Master

For me, I received LBA 2 (Twinsen's Odyssey) as a gift when I was about 12-13, never had any idea about the game until then. I really liked it a lot, it was something different which I enjoyed. The story, the graphics, it was very cool.

Then I got to the Undergas elevator.

Wow, that son of a bitch basically killed the game for me. I could never get past those fucking electric gates. That stopped me from playing for about a year.

In the meantime, I had already purchased LBA 1, and was having fun with that. I didn't enjoy the first game as much as the second, largely due to the saving system, but also because I was not a big fan of that isometric camera. I preferred the full 3D camera of LBA 2 by a considerable margin (and still do, to this day).

In the end, I eventually came upon this glorious site, where I found a walkthrough that led me to using discreet mode in the elevator. Go figure.

And now, my journey is com-plete (as Darth Vader would say). I can't say LBA is my favorite game series of all-time - I think Zelda has a special place in my heart there - but there is no deny that these two games are amazing, and some of the best gaming I've ever had the privilege of playing.
Old 2007-10-22, 16:10
(formerly) lots of numbers

Send a message via MSN to LukeNoNumbers
I actually got LBA1 first, and played it until getting stuck in the Temple of Bu. I then got LBA2 and, though I was stuck for a while on the Emerald Moon (mostly because I didn't know that the spacesuit had a gun installed), I finished it, then went back and finished LBA1. With the possible exception of the first Discworld game, the LBAs are my favourite computer/video games of all time.

I probably prefer the 'look' of LBA2 but definitely prefer the 'scale' of LBA1. The Prequel will contain references to both games. There are a few 'nods' to the Citadel Island of LBA2 in the demo.
Old 2007-10-22, 18:10
Father of Shoda

How are we who don't have the lba1 cd gonna play the demo then if you have to have (sounds funny lol) the lba1 cd?

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2007-10-22, 18:14
Magic Ball Master

By buying one?

And it seems they are gonna release the executable with it, so afaik you can play without it too.

Not to mention a simple download.

(image by leoboe! )