Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > SpeedRunning > LBA1 Speedrunning
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA1 Speedrunning Just how fast can LBA1 be done?

Old 2015-09-09, 04:18
Zebrazilla

Personal Record (1:19:13) and new Museum & Proto-Pack skip

New PB: 1:19:13! 2nd place

I've been working hard on trying to find a new, big strat to get my time down to something more decent - all the while practicing to run through the whole game in one sitting as opposed to practicing certain parts and looking for crazy new strats (as when I discovered meca-jumping/sliding and lupin burg skip).

Well then, I did find that big strat! It allows for skipping the museum completely. Even avoiding to get the proto-pack is possible now, which I think saves some time as well despite the fact that proto-pack allows for near-instant death when doing death warps.

Quite a happy about this one, even though I made some really huge mistakes.

As for mistakes, I managed to forget to get the red card because of no longer getting proto-pack. I also forgot to get a meca on proxima before Hamalayi. Not to mention the time lost trying to get the teleportation meca-jump strat proper without any particular practice. A lot of other lapses of focus and direction here and there.

Below I have also included a video to illustrate the meca-jump used for getting into Twinsen's basement, which is what allows for skipping the Museum.

The trick here is what to do after the meca-jump. As opposed to other such strats this door, which is a carrier as well (essential), it will not be possible to just run down the other side. This is due to a layout with clipping being present just above the door. Twinsen will be able to run towards and below it, but clipping will not allow for falling to the other side.

What needs to be done here is to jump while turning. Releasing jump while continuing to turn will then haft the effect of Twinsen not being in falling mode. Doing this when Twinsen is at the top of his jump, then turning, will allow for the player actor to glitch onto the layout above the door. From here it's just a matter of falling or jumping into the room.

I have as well attached a picture to this thread of the layout and their edges. To anyone trying this strat, also note that it's possible to take damage by the spikes above if not properly aligned.

Good luck with your runs, fellow LBA runners!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basementskip.png‎
Views:	79
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	9984  

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2015-09-09, 18:26
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Awesome find zebra! We should call you zebra the skipper. Nice run man!
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2015-09-09, 18:36
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Seriously, another amazing find! And congrats on the time as well, it's very tough getting through the whole game that fast even with all the skips.

The proto skip should save plenty of time. Shame we can't use that death strat though, it was one of the fun ones! But not doing he protopack means we need less money and don't have to talk to that salesman anymore, so it's very very good. The fast death was only used 4 times and there will be one less now even.

I need to talk to you about the final screen. You know, the last fight with funfrock. If we could glitch through that door and finish the game then I think we can skip the sword entirely as well.
Old 2015-09-09, 19:20
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
Awesome find zebra! We should call you zebra the skipper. Nice run man!
Haha, thanks man! : > Going to continue practicing and try to find more skips. I have to earn the right to keep that title, maybe by finding a way to skip the whole game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serializer View Post
Seriously, another amazing find! And congrats on the time as well, it's very tough getting through the whole game that fast even with all the skips.

The proto skip should save plenty of time. Shame we can't use that death strat though, it was one of the fun ones! But not doing he protopack means we need less money and don't have to talk to that salesman anymore, so it's very very good. The fast death was only used 4 times and there will be one less now even.

I need to talk to you about the final screen. You know, the last fight with funfrock. If we could glitch through that door and finish the game then I think we can skip the sword entirely as well.
Thank you! I fell of my chair when I found it, did a victory dance and couldn't believe my eyes. Good thing I recorded the process, otherwise I would have had a harder time recreating it. Indeed, it is very tough - all of these crazy and amazing strats we are discovering is hardly making it any easier too, haha.

I agree, it should save a lot. I haven't timed it, but the only places that I can think of where the proto-pack will save time is 2nd visit to White Leaf and the near-instant death warps. I really don't believe that compares to the amount we save by skipping the hairdryer and baldino. Not to mention the money, as you say. Less expenditure is always great!

I had a look at the final battle in LBArchitect right now and unfortunately it doesn't look like it's possible. A condition is set on Twinsen to check if flag game is set to 139. This flag is set when FunFrock dies. Only then will the game advance to the final scene, which is done by life script and not a cube zone for a change. Really unfortunate! I would have loved if a meca-jump would have been possible there and if we could skip the sword entirely! That way we don't need the red card either, which I completely forgot about in my run (very costly).

LBA Speedruns
Old 2015-09-09, 19:33

Well that's a shame! And what are you playing at, not finding the entire-game-skip yet?

Maybe there is another way to kill funfrock. .. either jumping on his head or pushing him out of bounds somehow with a penguin.

Anyway, can't wait to have a proper look at the run when I get home.
Old 2015-09-09, 19:53
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
I just did the new run and the bunny that dig the hole on Fortress Island doesn't trigger. I did the mutant factory and the brundle factory too. What hapenned?
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2015-09-09, 21:35

You must have missed something ... I hope! Otherwise there is a big potential problem with the route.

@homeless I think skipping the red card is actually possible now. This means you can skip the trench run at principal. Get a mecha the first time you're at Tippett then glitch over the red card gate at the fort!
Old 2015-09-10, 16:51
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Well that's a shame! And what are you playing at, not finding the entire-game-skip yet?

Maybe there is another way to kill funfrock. .. either jumping on his head or pushing him out of bounds somehow with a penguin.

Anyway, can't wait to have a proper look at the run when I get home.
Maybe there is another way, we'd have to mess around with him extensively and see what happens. It's not a lot of time we would save there however, though it would definitely be awesome if a way to skip it or speed it up significantly would be found
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
I just did the new run and the bunny that dig the hole on Fortress Island doesn't trigger. I did the mutant factory and the brundle factory too. What hapenned?
Very strange. I agree with Pete, either you missed something or there was something strange happening in the scene there. I took a look at it a little yesterday night and saw there are plenty of logic on that bunny. I haven't looked into the details though enough to say anything about it, only that there are a few checks of game flags in his life script.

Skipping the museum or not getting the proto-pack shouldn't be what caused it though I think, as my run worked out fine, hm. We'll have to see if it is replicable somehow or dig into the bunnies life script more.
Quote:
You must have missed something ... I hope! Otherwise there is a big potential problem with the route.

@homeless I think skipping the red card is actually possible now. This means you can skip the trench run at principal. Get a mecha the first time you're at Tippett then glitch over the red card gate at the fort!
I did have my thoughts about that too yesterday at work! Didn't have the energy to check that though. I'll have a look! I'll catch you on TS or Steam if I mess about with it today and if you're on.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2015-09-10, 17:03

But here's the thing. If we can kill funfrock without the sword then we don't need the sword anywhere in the game, meaning we skip the entire 2nd visit to principal island, we skip the red card, we skip the trench. Enough stuff that it is well worth it. There are a handful of fights that will take longer without the sword but I think it would still save a lot of time.

Unfortunately the red card gate skip didn't work. The floor there is sloping so I couldn't get the gate jump! Maybe you can find a way still.
Old 2015-09-10, 17:37
Zebrazilla

Quote:
But here's the thing. If we can kill funfrock without the sword then we don't need the sword anywhere in the game, meaning we skip the entire 2nd visit to principal island, we skip the red card, we skip the trench. Enough stuff that it is well worth it. There are a handful of fights that will take longer without the sword but I think it would still save a lot of time.

Unfortunately the red card gate skip didn't work. The floor there is sloping so I couldn't get the gate jump! Maybe you can find a way still.
You're right! I didn't think of that, but I thought of it yesterday, haha. Not at the top of my game today. Anyway, yes, that'd be fantastic really. We'd skip so much!

That is unfortunate. How about the second gate to the right? Is that sloped as well?

LBA Speedruns
Old 2015-09-10, 19:09
Zebrazilla

Same at the other gate. That's too bad. Not sure how a skip of the red card door would be possible, but I will keep looking and mess about.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2015-09-10, 22:28

THIS is quite interesting...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	principal_glitch.png‎
Views:	85
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	9985  
Old 2015-09-10, 23:35
Zebrazilla

Quote:
THIS is quite interesting...
That IS very interesting! Nice find!

LBA Speedruns
Old 2015-09-10, 23:50
Zebrazilla

I tried it and was able to replicate it reliably after getting the right angle to do it from. Doing it from the side that is.

Looking at this I am afraid that it might not yield any result in getting in there however. Looks like Twinsen still will have to jump 4 "steps" of brick layout, looking at the physical shapes in LBArchitect, and 2 is the dreaded maximum. I attached a picture for this. Blue line is the height at which the clipping of that grate in the wall ends. The red lines point towards the height left to jump, 4 steps. If only the clipping extended higher!

Tried the turning and jumping tech used at Twinsen's basement, though I really think this only works if there is layout above the head as well to jump into.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	principalfortress_redcardskip.png‎
Views:	94
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	9986  

LBA Speedruns
Old 2015-09-10, 23:56
Zebrazilla

It's fun though!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	principalfortress.jpg‎
Views:	92
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	9987  

LBA Speedruns
Old 2015-09-11, 00:24
Zebrazilla

Looking for ways to get past the red card gate, I found this:

There's some curious behaviour here. Jumping against a meca-penguin in a slope and only sliding momentarily seems to cancel out the slide jump and cause the rest of the jump to be a fully normal one. Hm. Not sure where this would be useful or if it can be used for getting past the red card door, but thought I'd share my finding.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2015-09-11, 17:40

Can you use that jump trick to get that hidden scene change trigger on the building site?
Old 2015-09-11, 17:59
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Can you use that jump trick to get that hidden scene change trigger on the building site?
Getting the slide jump seems very tricky, doing it on such a small area even more so. However it may be possible. Need to mess about with that for a while, see how it goes

LBA Speedruns