Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-11-03, 05:09
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
In these days I think its better to have a console to play games instead of PC. Buy a good graphic card is very expensive. With that money you can buy a PS3 or XBox360 which will undoubtedly play the games smoothly than the PC.
Yeah, so bad I didn't receive any PS3 for birthday

Anyway, here the PS3 cost is really high, you can buy a pretty good GeForce 8800 GT for 1/3 the price.

Crazy economy

Old 2008-11-03, 08:24
Master of Science & Magic

consoles almost cost the same as a gaming computer, one major difference is the price in games. 50 euros for PC games vs 60-70 euros for console games.
Old 2008-11-03, 09:49
Magic Ball Master

Yes, PS3 is expensive but it is more than a console. I have a GeForce 8500 GT and it isn't that good for games.

Console games are indeed high specially PS3 ones. Nice to see that are platinum versions coming out.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2008-11-03, 11:53
Idyllic + whimsical

I have to agree, I got my PS2 and my current computer at about the same time, and after spending some additional money on my computer, the PS2 still has more quality gaming value than my computer.

Also I guess it's a matter of taste, but I played quite a few amazing games on the PS2 while it's been a while since I played very few really classic games on the PC in the past few years.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)

Last edited by Rex_Hollywood; 2008-11-03 at 12:01.
Old 2008-11-03, 12:30
Magic Ball Master

The really expensive part of consoles is the TV. I have a pretty old one which can't even display GameCube graphics at optimum. A PC screen is just so much cheaper.
Old 2008-11-03, 13:50
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
consoles almost cost the same as a gaming computer, one major difference is the price in games. 50 euros for PC games vs 60-70 euros for console games.
I'm echoing what FB2K said. I can't remember the last time I was interested in a PC game that wasn't available or coming soon on a console; but several times there were games that were not available on PC's but only on consoles.
Old 2008-11-03, 14:04
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
My Wii cost me about 1/5th my PC did. (and thats not counting the moniter of the PC, the keyboard, speakers, case etc).

Also, the RPP price of PC/Console games in england is actualy pretty identical.
(Red Alert 3(PC) = 44.99GBP, LBP (PS3) = 44.99GBP, CallOfDuty4 (Xbox) = 49.99GBP)

Its all pretty much 44.99GBP-49.99 for any new boxed game, console or pc. (shops tend to sale them 5-10GBP cheaper at their discretion)

There was a time a few years back when Microsoft, then Sony, tried to push game prise's up, justifying "its HD so it costs more", but they put the prices back after awhile. (presumable the low sales spelled it out that people just wernt buying that argument).

Wii games tend to be slightly cheaper overall, by about 5-10GBP.
(Disaster =34.99, Mario=39.99)

Either way, new games on pc's arnt cheaper then consoles. Its more the fact PC's have a second hand market, and (some) games stay on the shelfs long enough to be discounted by quite a bit.

Game wise its no cost in favor of Console's for me....Action/Adventure wise they beat PC's hands down.

Allthough there has been a few fantastic PC games in recent years. (Portal), and theres a constant stream of great games from indepedant developers.
Old 2008-11-03, 15:28
Magic Ball Master

Wii games, in the US at least, are $10 - $15 cheaper on average than PS3/360 games, including multiplatform versions of the same game.
Old 2008-11-03, 16:31
Magic Ball Master

$10 - $15 = £5 - £10.
Old 2008-11-03, 19:48

45 GBP for RA3!? holy crap
holy crap.. the RRP for that game is 60 euros... wtf... that is really insane

Normal PC games cost 50 euros.

ps, not counting monitors et al isn't correct. PC monitors are usually much cheaper than the needed screen for consoles.
Old 2008-11-03, 20:48
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Not by that much however, you can pick up an ok flatscreen tv now for around 130GBP
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-M198WA-19...5741252&sr=8-2, for instance).

Naturaly, you can get much much cheaper tv's depending what your "needed screen" is.

Personaly I'm still happly using a 10-20 year old CRT.
Means I cant use 480p mode on the Wii, just 578i, but frankly I dont care that much about the distinction.

Its worth pointing out also, with the Xbox360 (and probably Ps3) you can just plug a computer moniter in anyway if you get the right cable.
Old 2008-11-04, 15:39
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Personaly I'm still happly using a 10-20 year old CRT.
Means I cant use 480p mode on the Wii, just 578i, but frankly I dont care that much about the distinction.
Same. Damn games like Metroid Prime 2 and Super Mario RPG for not supporting 50Hz though. And all this "HD" selling point of the Xbox360 and PS3 won't count for me.
Old 2008-11-04, 17:12
Classic

Its sacrilege to say it, but I find HD hugely overrated anyway.
Colour,Saturation,Contrast,Latency...I find there all more important features of a tv.

If you got a video paused, then HD looks way better, but in motion I really find its hard to tell the difference. My brain doesn't process images that quickly. (when at a decent distance from the screen...if your a foot or two away, like a PC screen, obviously it makes a difference).

I once looked around for some studys to see if it was just me or not, but for some reason theres a distinct lack of research into what the human eyes/brains limits are.
I was hoping for a double blind study to see the boundarys for most people.

I do find it amusing though that lots of shops saleing HD tv's dont even have them hocked up to HD sources. (and if they are its typicaly with the wrong cables, so it comes out SD anyway).
Old 2008-11-04, 18:03

my brain can, but my brain can't sharpen the fuzzy text you see on SD screens with the xbox360 (at least)
Old 2008-11-04, 18:18
New efforts! :)

What is good about PC games is that they have more functions. GTA Vice City for pc is better than the one for PS2. And not all games are Console exclusive, what about Diablo 3 and StarCraft2?

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2008-11-04, 18:32
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
my brain can, but my brain can't sharpen the fuzzy text you see on SD screens with the xbox360 (at least)
Thats because lots of developers for the 360 are a bit stupid.
They use a font at a size designed for those with HD screens, but dont automaticaly scale the font correctly when using an SD screen >_<

Really bad Q&A testing frankly.
It isnt that hard to get readable text on SD screens.
Heck, I was coding on my Commadore Plus/4 (320×200) all down my childhood and its text was more readable then some 360 games

Tags
games, videogames