Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2013-02-15, 03:18
Quetching a Mr.

Twinsun LBA2 Higher Resolution Textures

I am not sure if this is possible or not. I want all of your information to see if this is possible or not. To cut to the chase, is it possible to replace the current 256 x 256 textures in LBA2 with higher quality textures? Let's say, 640 x 480. I know that LBA2 will only allow 256 x 256 size images with 256 color pixel palletes. However, we cannot use higher quality textures than these because the game will not allow it.

However, on this account, would it be possible to replace an existing, "Dll" file in the directory where the, "LBA2" / "Twinsen", "Exe" file is located? Maybe inserting a new, "Dll" file would make this possible? This is just me, but I want information from all of you to see if this is actually possible. I have always wanted to see different textures in LBA2. It is possible, but we can only have the resolution of the textures at such a rate. The only way I know we can insert our own textures is if we have the, "LBA Image Viewer" and the, "LBA Package Editor".

Tell me, is it possible to insert higher quality textures in LBA2? Maybe this would make LBA2 look like it was released in 2000 for the Playstation 1 rather than 1997 for the PC. This is just me.
Old 2013-02-15, 06:29
Legen..wait 4 it.. DARY!

Since the owners didn't leave any kind of extension, I think we cannot do that.

I mean, we'd have to program the game again, you know what I mean?

I guess the game and the platfrom (DOS) wouldn't support a higher resolution, I could try to do it though, but it would take me some time.
Old 2013-02-15, 13:51
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
From what I understand its tricky, its much easier to change a texture then it is to increase its resolution.
Id certainly like too see it tried though.
Old 2013-02-15, 15:34
Do the evolution.

I would assume that if the textures are sampled by percentage or regular UV's then it should work when you just replace the file - if the texture is sampled by pixels then it won't work. And there might be other mechanisms there that will make the replacement texture not recognized by the game.

Would be really cool tho.
Old 2013-02-15, 22:51
Previously Link

It's not only a matter of how the textures are sampled. There's an issue with the file format first: the textures are stored as raw pixels, with a fixed file size. That means no meta information about the resolution. Knowing that, and knowing that the engine uses integers (or fixed-point numbers) for computation (as opposed to all modern graphic pipelines which using floating-point math), there's a fat chance that the sampling is done on a pixel-basis.

Also, the rendering engine is a custom one, not using any known APIs like opengl or directx, and it's all packaged in the .exe file, instead of external dlls. The only way to achieve this would be to disassemble the whole .exe, find and understand the peaces of code that handle textures, and patch them. Or, re-implement the game engine.

Alexfont disassembled and annotated a big part of the executable file in the past, precisely for the purpose of creating a new implementation of the game. I myself played a bit with his code, trying to continue this project for a while. Although we have a pretty good understanding of how things work, nobody ever really worked out the details enough to make such patch. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would certainly be pretty difficult. I can't think of anyone willing to do this.
Old 2013-02-16, 00:43
Legen..wait 4 it.. DARY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
It's not only a matter of how the textures are sampled. There's an issue with the file format first: the textures are stored as raw pixels, with a fixed file size. That means no meta information about the resolution. Knowing that, and knowing that the engine uses integers (or fixed-point numbers) for computation (as opposed to all modern graphic pipelines which using floating-point math), there's a fat chance that the sampling is done on a pixel-basis.

Also, the rendering engine is a custom one, not using any known APIs like opengl or directx, and it's all packaged in the .exe file, instead of external dlls. The only way to achieve this would be to disassemble the whole .exe, find and understand the peaces of code that handle textures, and patch them. Or, re-implement the game engine.

Alexfont disassembled and annotated a big part of the executable file in the past, precisely for the purpose of creating a new implementation of the game. I myself played a bit with his code, trying to continue this project for a while. Although we have a pretty good understanding of how things work, nobody ever really worked out the details enough to make such patch. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would certainly be pretty difficult. I can't think of anyone willing to do this.
I can certainly try to to this, but yo, you can change the standard on DOSBox to an OpenGL format.

Yes, to do that you'll have to disassemble the .exe, and I'll try to do it, I've got enough free time to at least try,

I'm graduated in computer science and post gratuaded in game programming so I guess I can at least try to do it, let's see what will be made of
Old 2013-02-16, 12:52
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeederGaming View Post
I can certainly try to to this, but yo, you can change the standard on DOSBox to an OpenGL format.
Yes, well, actually what you change there is the way the final buffer is displayed on the screen, it doesn't affect in any way the rasterizing process that puts pixels into that buffer. This part could be done by any API that is able to display graphics on a screen, it has nothing to do with rendering 3D (I think LBA2's windows version used directx for that, while the dos version used the VGA driver directly). What you are doing in dosbox there basically, is emulating the VGA driver through OpenGL. It's not of much use.

Quote:
Yes, to do that you'll have to disassemble the .exe, and I'll try to do it, I've got enough free time to at least try,

I'm graduated in computer science and post gratuaded in game programming so I guess I can at least try to do it, let's see what will be made of
You can learn quite a bit by doing this, it's a useful experience. You might want to ask Alexfont if he still has the dissassembly project files, it might help you get started. Also, this thread contains some useful information about how texture coordinates are represented in the game: http://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=13076. The last pages contain the useful information. Good luck on this!
Old 2013-02-16, 13:46
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Let me link to my original thread on my own forum, from April 2006:
http://www.islandcx.net/forum/viewto...0&hilit=engine

That's when I started the LBA 2 engine reverse engineer project, which then alexfont joined and eventually took over, completely forgetting I started it and never relinquished my position.
Old 2013-02-16, 17:16
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Let me link to my original thread on my own forum, from April 2006:
http://www.islandcx.net/forum/viewto...0&hilit=engine

That's when I started the LBA 2 engine reverse engineer project, which then alexfont joined and eventually took over, completely forgetting I started it and never relinquished my position.
You know. I would be kickass proud of myself if I could program that badass. If you drop the victim attitude, you could seriously rock.

You know so much about lba, that's pretty cool.
Old 2013-02-16, 17:37
Legen..wait 4 it.. DARY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
You can learn quite a bit by doing this, it's a useful experience. You might want to ask Alexfont if he still has the dissassembly project files, it might help you get started. Also, this thread contains some useful information about how texture coordinates are represented in the game: http://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=13076. The last pages contain the useful information. Good luck on this!
Cheers, let`s go!
Old 2013-02-16, 19:04
Quetching a Mr.

I am very glad to see all of your comments. From what it looks like, we just might have higher texture resolutions in LBA2. I look forward to this now, and I really hope it can be made possible.
Old 2013-02-16, 19:05
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Cheers, let`s go!
I am very glad to see that you are trying to take the chance of making this possible. I was not sure if anyone would take a chance. Hearing from you, it sounds like this might become possible. Thanks for trying to make this happen. I look forward to what you are about to do in the near future.
Old 2013-02-18, 09:01
Legen..wait 4 it.. DARY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
I am very glad to see that you are trying to take the chance of making this possible. I was not sure if anyone would take a chance. Hearing from you, it sounds like this might become possible. Thanks for trying to make this happen. I look forward to what you are about to do in the near future.
I'm disassembling!

It's going good, no problems till now, lets see what happens :P
Old 2013-02-18, 15:12
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
I'm disassembling!

It's going good, no problems till now, lets see what happens :P
Disassembling is easy, just use W32Dasm. The hard part is making something useful out of all that assembly code afterwards.
Old 2013-02-18, 18:21
Legen..wait 4 it.. DARY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Disassembling is easy, just use W32Dasm. The hard part is making something useful out of all that assembly code afterwards.
:|, whatever HAHAHA, I'll try :P

Tags
game, high, resolution, textures, twinsen