Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2007-01-28, 23:56
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Arrow control keys problematic

Hi

Just finished LBA2 - first bought it when it came out and never quite finished it - fantastic! so installed LBA and after a lot of faffing about am running it with Funnyfrogs patch and VDMS for the sound.

BIG problem - the control keys dont work properly. Walking Twinsen forward or backward is just about do-able - running or turning him or fighting with him is impossible as he carries on turning/running/fighting after you've taken your finger off the key!

Anyone else experienced this or cured it? the problem and the lack of save games means I'm still stuck in the prison and getting VERY annoyed!

I've tried altering the properties on the exe file to see if I could slow things down but no joy.

Cheers

Anna

Last edited by AnnaW; 2007-01-28 at 23:58. Reason: addition
Old 2007-01-29, 01:21
Boobs!

First of all, welcome!

Second, try this patch. (Make sure to read the "readme" file)
Old 2007-01-29, 13:26
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- SebZ: El_Muerte's patch is for the car steering in LBA 2 - while AnnaW is having problems controlling all characters, and in LBA 1.

- AnnaW: The fix for your problem is easy - just download, and install LBAWin. Download it here.
Old 2007-01-29, 15:25
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
OBras is right. Just the fact that you even got LBA1 to run without LBAWin is nothing short of a miracle.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-01-29, 23:44

Thanks for your help - I will say that getting it to run took the patience of Job :-)

But it's worse than you know.... I have a tablet PC with no CD drive so i copied the cd onto my hard drive using a friend's external drive. I did try LBAWin but of course it wanted the CD and just kept telling me 'No CD' and quitting :-(

I should say it was my own, original CD I copied onto the hard drive, not my friend's!

Hence the start of many hours of tinkering with things I thought I had forgotten (non compatible sound drivers etc)

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Anna

Last edited by AnnaW; 2007-01-29 at 23:49. Reason: alteration
Old 2007-01-30, 17:34
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
I can make LBA1 run on every machine , without LBAWin or DosBox so this ain't no miracle and if the problem persists in LBAWin , first tell me what Windows do you use ?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-01-30, 19:07

Hi - can't use LBAWin due to no CD drive as above . OS is Windows XP professional.

Thanks!

Anna
Old 2007-01-30, 19:15
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Have u tried using dosbox?
Old 2007-01-30, 19:27
Magic Ball Master

I strongly recommend you to keep trying to use LBAWin if you yet have not tried with a virtual cd drive.

You mentioned earlier that you copied the cd to your drive. But I'm not sure that you copied it "the correct" way.

You should use a software that creates cd images. Just hand over the CD to any of your friends that got a software that can copy CDs to CD images (it is like a file that the computer can read just like if you had the cd in your drive!) , then just let that friend give you the CD image to you (transferring it with USB is one way).

Then download a software that can create virtual drives, so you can read the CD image file. For reading CD image, I use Deamon Tools.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-01-30, 20:57
Boobs!

The are many virtual drive creators around, but I use Alcohol 120% for most of my emulation to test work CDs on.
I will use almost any file type and will unlock almost any protection that it uses. (Eg, Safedisk v4, etc)

But the choice is yours.
Old 2007-01-31, 00:09
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
make an image of the CD, using alcohol 120% trail or something similar.
download a program called daemon-tools (quick google will do) -its freeware
copy the image and the dtools installer to the usb drive to copy to the tablet
the rest is quite obvious..
Old 2007-01-31, 09:39

Thanks one and all - I'll give some of those ideas a whirl!

Cheers

Anna
Old 2007-02-01, 17:58
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
download this file and overwrite it in your C:\Windows\System32 directory

http://www.oldmp.com/forms/download/xp-sp2-fix.zip
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-02-02, 00:11
Magic Ball Master

Editing system files are not really so good. Specifically from web pages that is about mountains, I would not replace that file. It seems to be taking a high risk that could cause system instability.

Do if you want to. but I strongly advise you to let that file be. If it really should be any solution to edit a system file it should probably just be replacing some dll file I think.

So, I say it could be malicious or simply causing system instability.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2007-02-02, 23:24
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- LBAWinOwns: I checked that .ZIP file, and it just contains a modified AUTOEXEC.NT file, and the only difference between it and the standard Windows XP one, is that this one also contains a SET BLASTER line, for the sound card to work.

So, no malicious code there.
Old 2007-02-04, 22:32
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo View Post
- LBAWinOwns: I checked that .ZIP file, and it just contains a modified AUTOEXEC.NT file, and the only difference between it and the standard Windows XP one, is that this one also contains a SET BLASTER line, for the sound card to work.

So, no malicious code there.
I have not much knowledge about this specific file, or rather, I've got non. But why would it help the arrow keys in any way to work it it edits the sound card?

And what about if the system you apply it to already has an altered autoexec.nt file for the antivirus to work or any reason, it's just a risk to edit such files regurarly.

I fully trust that it's not malicious since you have browsed the code and confirmed it, but what's not intended to harm, can harm.

(image by leoboe! )