Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-09-21, 19:52
Master of Science & Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumina View Post
  • Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) *
GET READY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumina View Post
  • Prey
Really? I think it was quite a disappointment. The demo was quite nice. But the full game didn't have anything extra.
Old 2007-09-21, 22:08
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
I don't like games.
Old 2007-09-22, 00:42
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
I don't like games.
Why are you here?

lol. Just realised I missed a pretty obvious one out of my list;
Pikmin games
Old 2007-09-23, 10:37
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post
Really? I think it was quite a disappointment. The demo was quite nice. But the full game didn't have anything extra.
Pretty much my feelings too.

Was worth getting, but only because I paid 10 euros for it a few weeks back. (Free Record Shop saleing them cheap).

Was a ok game, but only one real puzzle in the whole thing. Given the mechcanics and the coolness of the demo, I expected more diviersity.

Still, theres a Portal-esq mod for it that gives it more life.

Quote:
Majors Mask I liked a lot more than Ocarina of time, heart collecting is however easier in OOT, I actually got 20/20
Ocarina was a more revolutionary game, but I prefered Majoras Mask too.

MM had a cooler story imo, and had some really nice "dark/twisted"-ness to its atmosphere.
Plus, some of those masks were really fun to use

As for the difficulty of Zelda games, I think they have all stayed the same more or less, with us just getting better each one we play. (thus newer ones often seem easier).
The Wind Waker has much easier/less "puzzles", mind. But its fighting was harder then Ocarina a bit. (enemys were more inteligent).
Twlight Princess had much the same enemy difficulty as TWW (mainly because it kept the same engine), but had much more puzzles in the dungoens.
Nothings been as hard as Ocarinas Water Temple, but I dont think thats a bad thing. The Water Temple was tricky, but not the most interesting thing, imho.
I prefered the water flow/staircase puzzle in Twlight Princess, for one.

Quote:
There is no other game in existence that can beat the world, culture and style in Wind Waker for me, and that's why I consider it the greatest game ever.
Yes, but Gameplay is what counts to me.
Also, Beyond Good and Evil has a lovely world and culture too.

Quote:
Yes, it was rather easy and you sailed for ages.. so?
Sailed for ages = boring

Quote:
They balanced the game perfectly,
too easy, not enough puzzles, not enough dungoens, FAR too much fetch-quests.

The game wasnt balanced, it was blatently rushed for released, and s.t.r.e.t.c.h.e.d horribly to make it 40-hours ish long.
If they reduced the gameplay to 10hours, shrunk the space between islands, added the 3 missing dungoens, and had more original items then it could have been the greatest game ever.

They tried to make a 10 hour game into a 40 hour game just by moving everything apart

Quote:
every weapon was vital and useful, every dungeon was actually fun and interesting, every island begged to be explored, etc.
Every weapon of every zelda game is "vitial and usefull" they make sure of that.

TWW just didnt have imagination for them.

The main wind/leaf thing was great,no question, but that was it.

I mean, come on, having the swinging rope thing AND a hockshot AND a hockshot upgrade?
Those could easily just be one item.

Everything else just seemed the same as previous games.

Same goes for the dungoens really.
Yes, they worked.
But they were basic ones we had all seen before. Forrest, fire, ice, ect.

The biggest crit I have of the dungoens is they didnt have any overall puzzles.
It was just little room puzzles, and not many at that.
Style wise, the dungoens were great, and some nicer bose's too.
But substance they just lacked.

Quote:
I can go on and on and on about Wind Waker, but I'm sick of doing that, basically, I think just about everyone writes off Windwaker either because of it's ease, it's graphics, or the sailing, and they are all complete morons for doing so.
Why thank you.
Just to be clear, I'm not attacking the graphics at all.
I love the style, and think it was particularly effective in some places. (for instance the cell shaded dragon bose+heat haze+lava debree looked amazing).
The smoothness of the cell-shading was also technicaly very impressive.

I am critising the game purely because it lacked substance for the length it was aiming for. The fun of the sailing was quickly killed due to its quanity.

This is why I prefer BG&E, it has just as much substance as TWW, but it compress's it into a purer game.
You dont spend half the game sailing, you just do short bursts, but they remain fun because they are short bursts!
Even Nintendo seems to have spotted the sailing problem, in Phantom Hourglass they made it so you plot a course, then can shot freely while it auto-sails. (seems pretty neat, but I havnt played it yet)

Diversity is what makes adventure games, imo.
And Diversity is what Twlight Princess has a lot more off, over Wind Waker.
Even if it does have an inferiour style.

And critising Twlight Princess for having too many dungoens?! O_o
ok, because thats soooo much better then having 1/3rd the dungoens AND DOING NOTHING BUT SAILING BETWEEN THEM.

Besides, what is a dungoen but a group of puzzles anyway?

Zelda is not a dungoen crawler because the fighting is never more then half of the expirence, if that. Its mostly about the puzzles. dungoens are about puzzles, not fighting. (heck, even when fighting, theres often a little puzzle to work out the best way of doing it).

Twlight Princess proved they didnt have to be dungoens in any real sense of the word.
The Spoiler:
Yeti house for instance, easily one of the best concepts for a dungoen a zelda game has seen.

I too get fed up with the obligitory Forrest, Fire dungoens ect.

The dungeon "themes" get overused. (but still, TWW had even less original concepts for its ones).
Elemental themed dungoens are whats overdone, original dungoens I welcome. (and thats exactly what TP had a lot of).

Heck, a lot of Twlight Princess's dungoens were outside
If the dungoens were all actual dungoens, then yes, Id agree with you. But its just a lose term for a themed area upto a boss fight. (purhapes that formular should be changed a bit too,actualy, but its no different to TWW)

If your fed up with the concept of puzzles, fighting and bosses, your fed up with Zelda period. Complainingly theres too much ""dungeons"" is complaining about TP for the precise reason why its so a amazing.

*Twlight princess had the most things to do. (you call them dungoens, I think of them as the actual gameplay ). But even ignoring dungoens it had a heck of a big, richly filled overworld.

*It had the most cool minigames of any Zelda. (sure, spliiiiish guy was fun in TWW, but nothing compares to TPs games...you fly, you fish, you snowboard, you even have a little balance game.....every aspex of the game has so much fractualar gameplay. Heck, the fishing on its own is vastely suppiour to most games of its kind). A heck of a lot of love went into TP

*It had the best secondary charecter and storytelling of any Zelda. (Midna has more personality in her smile then the whole of Ocarina of time, for instance )
Storytelling in Zelda games weakpoint often.
I'm still fed up with the overuse of Gannon, but at least TP got everything else right. Heck, it even had NPC's -that actualy did something-

*It had the twistedly-cool cutscenes like Majoras Mask.

* Suppiour fighting. TWW made an improvement over Ocarina in combat, and TP did it again. Borirowing heavily from Minish Cap, the moves you learn add a little more skill to the combat without it being overblown.

* Running around town as a wolf = fun.

* Riding on horseback and slashing your sword = fun. (I dont care if its "fan service", its fun simple as that).

* The game was brave. Completely ditching magic.
Good move too, would have been an unnesscery addition to the game. Still,not something fans were begging for was it?
Lots of other nice little changes too. 5 heart pieces rather then 4.
This meant their could be more little puzzles in the landscape, more hidden bits to find, more too explore. Not a big deal, but I like solving small landscape puzzles, and Id rather get a small health bonus then money.

* You can chuck bones for doggys, and kick wool about with cats. Shows some of the love that went into the games every detail.

Also, if your going to call something unbalanced, you have to say why.

Twlight Princess seemed to have no better or worse diffculty curve then any other Zelda game.

(oh, and incidently, the gale bomberang is basicaly the equilivent of the leaf.....both pretty useless at later fights.)

Last edited by Darkflame; 2007-09-23 at 10:57.
Old 2007-09-23, 11:14
Magic Ball Master

The main problem of Twilight Princess in fighting were the bosses, all needed only three hits to be defeated, that's boring.

But what the heck, you're complaining about too many dungeons? Dude, have you really played Ocarina of Time? For me, all it is about is running from one dungeon to the next. You're not even told to do so. When you're adult Link, you run into the Forest Temple, then the Fire Temple, then the Water Temple without really anything inbetween, not even telling you to go there. That's one thing why I'm still stuck in the Water Temple, because it's too hard and because I won't see anything new when I'm finished anyway. I'll just hop into the next dungeon, will I?
Old 2007-09-23, 15:58
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
The water temple wasn't *that* much harder. I've completed both Ocarina and Ocarina Master Quest.

I agree with Darkflame with Twilight Princess, I really want to play it again now - and I think I will go play...
Old 2007-09-23, 16:04
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2552 View Post
The water temple wasn't *that* much harder. I've completed both Ocarina and Ocarina Master Quest.
Well, I'm still stuck, never got any further, and my reasons for losing interest are above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2552 View Post
I agree with Darkflame with Twilight Princess, I really want to play it again now - and I think I will go play...
As my sister just started again today. I have to, too, but I'm currently still playing...Spoiler:
Wind Waker.
Old 2007-09-23, 22:22
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Hmm... I'm to greedy to buy GC/Wii so I won't play the WW/TP, but I have saw the beginning of WW on a youtube video, so I know what it's about.

I agree with Kobold, OoT was starting out great, you go around and see a new landscape as a child. You check out a mask, sing for bottle of milk, socilizing etc. It's all good, but then you get to adulthood. Then the game is just starting to be about deal with the temple. I can't remember I disliked it when I was a child, but I for sure know I liked childhood more, and I can't imagine recompleteing OoT, but I'm ok to replay OOT.

I remember water temple wasn't too hard, and I think I did some strange thing that made me take a short-cut .

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-09-24, 13:24
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Send a message via MSN to TerenceHill
Twinsen My favorite Games

My favorite games
. Little Big Adventure 1&2
. GTA San Andreas (SAMP)
Old 2007-09-24, 18:43
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
Deus Ex
Old 2007-09-28, 11:07
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Muerte View Post
I admit that Prey had such a stretched gameplay when it comes to shooting aliens in corridors and walking around on gravity floor in a huge plane... But at least I liked the final boss fight, and there were hints after the credits that there would be a sequel... Let's hope it will get much better than the first Prey.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add Star Wars: Republic Commando as one of my top games!
Old 2007-09-28, 13:29
Idyllic + whimsical

Prey is the usual repetitive shooter but does introduce a few interesting gameplay additions.
It's a shame they didn't use the spirit walk for something else other than going through a force field to press a button.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2007-10-01, 10:19
Twinsen's Passion

- LBA2
- Doom II
- FIFA (94 to 07)
- Counter Strike 1.5 (I can't believe nobody named this one)
Old 2007-10-01, 16:24
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianKirk View Post
- Counter Strike 1.5 (I can't believe nobody named this one)
Shows that they are right in taste at least.
Old 2007-10-01, 17:14
Magic Ball Master

Favorite Games (in no particular order)

*denotes All-Time favorite, one I could just pick up and play any time
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)*
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  • Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
  • Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES)
  • Super Spike V'Ball (NES)
  • World Cup Soccer (NES)

---
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN)*
  • Eternal Champions (GEN)
  • Vectorman (GEN)
  • Sonic and Knuckles (GEN)

---
  • Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
  • Killer Instinct (SNES)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)*
  • Super Metroid (SNES)
  • WWF Raw (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

---
  • Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
  • Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)*
  • Mario 64 (N64)
  • Mario Kart (N64)
  • Paper Mario (N64)
  • Spider-Man (N64)
  • WWF No Mercy (N64)
  • Kirby 64

---
  • SOCOM: US Navy SeALS 2 (PS2)
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Trilogy (PS2)*
  • Gran Prix Challenge (PS2)
  • Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS2)
  • Road Trip (PS2)
  • Lego Star Wars (PS2)*
  • Star Wars: Episode III (PS2)
  • NHL 2K4 (PS2)
  • ESPN NFL 2K5 (PS2)
  • Spider-Man (PS2)
  • Simpson's Hit & Run (PS2)

---
  • Sonic Adventure (DC)*
  • MDK 2 (DC)

---
  • Little Big Adventure (PC)*
  • Twinsen's Odyssey (PC)*
  • Half-Life (PC)*
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces II (PC)
  • Star Wars: Jedi Outcast (PC)
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy (PC)*
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
  • Sim City 3000

---
  • Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)*
  • Super Smash Brothers (GCN)
  • Metroid Prime (GCN)
  • Luigi's Mansion

---
  • NHL 08 (PS3)

---
  • Super Paper Mario (Wii)
  • The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Wii)*
  • Wii Sports (Wii)
Old 2007-10-01, 19:04
Idyllic + whimsical

Splinter Cell for PS2 (at least the first one) sucks.
And the only thing that makes JA better than JO is that you can choose what force to upgrade and the different saber types.
Old 2007-10-01, 19:12
Magic Ball Master

It's not horrible, I liked the first Splinter Cell...

And FTW, Jedi Academy didn't have slicing off body parts like in JO, which is why it fails.

But that series desperately needs a sequel...I'm dying for Force Unleashed, it looks to be amazing.
Old 2007-10-01, 19:31
Idyllic + whimsical

Heh, I've been thinking about it just a week ago, that I'd like to play Jedi Knight 3.
And the problem I have with Splinter Cell for PS2 is that there's no camera at all, just some dead thing you need to move around (in reversed controls!) yourself.
Old 2007-10-02, 05:26
LBA Veteran

The Lba's ofcourse, but also MGS2, Grim Fandango.
Old 2007-10-02, 10:57
Registered Schnitzel

Lemme see....
LBA, BG&E, LucasArts games (most of them anyway), The Longest Journey, Prince of Persia series (all 5 of them (I don't consider PoP3D part of the series)), GTA series.
Old 2007-10-02, 11:37
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K View Post
Splinter Cell for PS2 (at least the first one) sucks.
And the only thing that makes JA better than JO is that you can choose what force to upgrade and the different saber types.
new splinter cell are no way like the first one really! Double Agent is completely THE SHIT in multiplayer, too bad its a bit too short! But you need to study tactics like "i attack from the door, you get over the fence" etc.

Oh yes, i also loved both Jedi Academi and Jedi Outcast. Also KOTOR is nice [amaazing storyline], the second is a bit messed up tho.
Old 2007-10-02, 17:21
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
new splinter cell are no way like the first one really! Double Agent is completely THE SHIT in multiplayer, too bad its a bit too short! But you need to study tactics like "i attack from the door, you get over the fence" etc.
Like I said later, my problem is with the PS2 versions' mechanics specifically.
Old 2007-10-02, 17:31
D0PEFISH

In no particular order...
  • Half-Life (including exp. packs and various mods)
  • LBA 1, 2
  • C&C (including exp. packs), Red Alert (including exp. packs)
  • StarCraft (including exp. pack)
  • Tomb Raider 1, 2
  • Quake 2 (including exp. packs)
  • Time Commando (for nostalgic reasons :P)
  • Resident Evil series (preferably the originals; 1, 2, 3)
  • Alex Kidd (for nostalgic reasons :P)
  • Golvellius: Valley of Doom
All that comes to mind at the moment.
Old 2007-10-02, 20:51
Magic Ball Master

I also forgot Full Throttle (PC)...such a shame they never finished the sequel.
Old 2007-10-02, 22:13
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
I also forgot Full Throttle (PC)...such a shame they never finished the sequel.
Oh yeah! THat has been my favourite for years Also forgot Sam and Max.. never played the new ones anyway

Tags
games, videogames