Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-04-29, 11:41
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
Talking about GTA IV - I read about these guys who had pitched a tent outside a store for about 2 weeks to buy an Xbox 360 and GTA IV for only 1sek.
I think I'd rather not waste my life, and pay the price, than do something like that.
Old 2008-04-29, 20:21
Magic Ball Master

Double-J's Early Impressions of GTA IV

Good:
- Characters and vehicles feel like they have "weight," and really move like their real-life counterparts.
- Euphoria is awesome, especially when NPC's react to your movements and actions (I knocked a NPC with my car and he grabbed onto a light pole to avoid falling down).
- Size of city is amazing.

Bad:
- The camera system is flawed. If you leave it alone, sometimes it will put the shot at a bad angle, so you can't see what you'd like. This is especially true for driving, where the angles have changed from previous iterations. The user controlled camera resets itself, so you can't keep an angle you like.
- New controls take some time to learn.
- Screen is VERY DARK. Even with contrast/brightness sliders turned all the way up, some parts of the game are difficult-if-not-impossible to clearly discern (i.e. the cellphone menu which is dark green against black text).
Old 2008-04-29, 21:00
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
the gamma thing can also be adjusted from the TV's menu ... anyway, yes, as I said in my small review, the physics are AWESOME !!!
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-04-29, 23:26
Father of Shoda

You can even change from half to full light on the car and some cars have gps

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-04-30, 09:15
Twinsunian Quetch

kewwlll
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-04-30, 12:31
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerath^ View Post
You can even change from half to full light on the car and some cars have gps
From what I've seen, all cars have some sort of GPS, but it can be a bit gimmicky. What the GPS really is is a fancy waypoint system, where the player can either place a waypoint on the map, or it will automatically do so for mission objectives, and it will appear in the bottom-left hand corner mini-map as a green or yellow trail to follow. Some cars, mostly the more *expensive* ones, have the voice commands (e.g. "Turn left here," or "Right on "Washington Street").

It does work, but I have to admit that unlike The Godfather's rather simplistic waypoint system, this one is very nice in it's directions, and those directions will change if you go to the wrong location, it will adapt the trail in real-time to the proper way; but the scale of the city is in fact so huge and dense that, combined with the new driving factors (cars weighted realistically), I've found driving to be a true challenge.

In fact, my biggest complaint to this point is really the camera. For some reason, they decided to change the views available for driving, now you simply have close, far, in-car, and cinematic. In-car and cinematic are quite useless, close is too close; far is tolerable, but the problem is the angle of the camera. The previous games had something of a 45 - 75 degree angle towards the care, which gave you a nice combination of seeing forward, but also side-to-side. Now, the angle is somewhere from 30 - 45 degrees. You can manually shift the camera with the right analog stick, but there is no way to *lock* that new angle, and it will reset back to the zero point if you let go of the stick.

I'm getting used to it, and obviously, considering everything this game does right, it's a smallish complaint, but I can't help but wonder whether they changed the cameras simply to make driving more difficult?
Old 2008-05-01, 17:36
Magic Ball Master

More of Double-J's Impressions of GTA IV
  • Social networking is both good and bad. Good, because there are many benefits that you gain by keeping tight-knit relationships with NPC's, such as access to cheaper weapons, free transportation, etc. There is a bit of annoyance too though, because you do have to work to keep these relationships viable. However, for the most part, they are optional, and not too difficult to put in about 5-10 minutes of drinking, going to the cabaret, or (ladies) having sex to keep people in a positive mood.
  • The execution system is awesome. You can choose between a cinematic style execution (I had to waste a small time hustler who was my boss, and had a few choices...I chose the point blank gunshot to the skull) which are predicated on you holding down a particular button and aiming at a certain body part. Alternatively, and I haven't gotten this far yet, there are later missions where execution is optional, and it can impact the story whether or not you decide to kill people, so very nice open-ended stuff there.
  • The aiming/cover system is much improved over previous iterations of GTA, but it is still flawed and can be annoying. Sometimes, trying to cover fire into a room is difficult, especially if there is a door...for some reason, the physics engine won't stop the door from swinging back and forth. While it happens slowly, it's a pain because eventually it will close and you will lose sight of your target. Also, trying to deal with multiple targets in the middle of a firefight is difficult, but made easier if you use free aim. On the other hand, the actual cover button works very well, much like Uncharted, and you can easily move between points of cover effortlessly.
  • Euphoria is awesome; I can't wait to see how The Force Unleashed implements it. Characters are just so damn lifelike...from cops pulling over baddies, who will vary behavior from resisting arrest to compliance. Hell, sometimes an arrest goes wrong, and I haven't seen a "repeated" scene yet. When you fight or are in a firefight, it is amazing how enemies will take cover, although I haven't seen much flanking. The best though is just folks on the street, you can bump into them and get varying reactions.
Old 2008-05-01, 21:44
weee

Are normal citizen characters in GTA IV still just respawn or do they have memories and stuff? And do they have different character behaviors and different looks?

Btw: ha-ha
Old 2008-05-02, 12:55
Magic Ball Master

The citizens are still respawn, but I have yet to see a look-alike respawn...they have a ton of face/body/clothes/behavior sets, because I've never seen duplicates of people or cars yet.

I think it would be too hard to give them memories that last longer than the time the player spends in the city block...if you pissed off the entire neighborhood, you might never be able to leave your safehouse. However, they do have memories and unique behaviors when you walk near them, bump into them, attack them, etc. For example, I was trying to park a car into my save slot, and a guy was standing there. I honked the horn, he flipped me off, and I when I got out of my car, he started a fight with me. Similarly, homeless folk - some armed better than others - will oftentimes initiate a fight with you if you don't give them a couple of bucks in charity. Some NPC's will fight to the death, some will run away, some will see they are overmatched halfway through and walk away injured. The best are the ones that chase you. I had a guy I accidentally bumped into on the street after I bought a hot dog (which can regain health). I didn't realize he was tailing me until I was up in my safehouse, he tried to stab me from behind with a switchblade but I spun around and shot him.

It's crazy, crazy stuff.
Old 2008-05-02, 16:48
Idyllic + whimsical

Wow, he followed you?
That's pretty neat, a NPC that doesn't just storm at you.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-05-02, 23:50
Twinsunian Quetch

Wohaaaa
Old 2008-05-02, 23:51
weee

CooL! So when's it coming to PC?
Old 2008-05-03, 08:17
Master of Science & Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
CooL! So when's it coming to PC?
probably not for a couple of months
both MS and Sony paid serious bucks for an exclusive

Estimated production costs for GTA4 are $100m (that is a shit load of money for a game, and peanuts for movies).
MS paid $50m for just some extra exclusive content. So what they paid to get GTA4 for their system must be above that.
Old 2008-05-03, 10:56
Twinsunian Quetch

wooow, when u said $100m, did you mean 100 MILLION ???? SHIT !!!!!!!!
Old 2008-05-03, 14:13
Idyllic + whimsical

I heard it's coming for the PC on November.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-05-03, 18:13
The Prince of all Saiyans

Send a message via ICQ to Bomba!
Fuck Sony and MS.
Their piece of shit consoles could not match the keyboard + mouse.
PC GTA is much better.
"All men dream, but not equally.Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." ~Thomas Edward Lawrence

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life, so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry." ~ Indian Saying
Old 2008-05-03, 18:48
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomba! View Post
Fuck Sony and MS.
Their piece of shit consoles could not match the keyboard + mouse.
At least when I plug the game into my console, I know it's going to work, and I won't have half a dozen hardware conflicts, or a random system file missing, or some other intangible that comes with PC gaming. But this decision comes down to the almighty dollar - more folks will buy for consoles than on the PC, so that's why console gamers get catered to first.

I'm not trying to start a console vs. PC war, but I'll take my gamepad or Wiimote over a keyboard and mouse any day of the week. And I'm not exactly sure how either console is a "piece of shit," but that comment sounds morel like sour grapes that such an awesome game is not available for the PC (yet) than it is a true assessment of quality. Plus, for being such pieces of shit, former PC exclusives like Crysis are making their way onto consoles, and not gimped versions either.
Old 2008-05-03, 18:53
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
At least when I plug the game into my console, I know it's going to work, and I won't have half a dozen hardware conflicts, or a random system file missing, or some other intangible that comes with PC gaming.

I'm not trying to start a console vs. PC war, but I'll take my gamepad or Wiimote over a keyboard and mouse any day of the week. And I'm not exactly sure how either console is a "piece of shit," but that comment sounds morel like sour grapes that such an awesome game is not available for the PC than it is a true assessment of quality.
Just a added note, you don't have to wait for a completely pointless installation/setup of the game for a console either. A console you just boot it up and you're in the game.

I wonder how many people have graphics cards ready for new PC games on the MBN? Not that long ago I got a GeForce 9600GT.

Quote:
not gimped versions
what about photoshoped? I doubt they have the VERY ADVANCED map editor which the PC version includes.
Old 2008-05-03, 18:54
Magic Ball Master

I have a GeForce 8800 GTS, should be enough for my means.
Old 2008-05-03, 19:00
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomote View Post
what about photoshoped? I doubt they have the VERY ADVANCED map editor which the PC version includes.
Haha, by "gimped" I meant versions that lack either features or graphics in order to run on a console.
Old 2008-05-03, 19:04
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Haha, by "gimped" I meant versions that lack either features or graphics in order to run on a console.
I know what you meant, that's what the following sentence was for
Old 2008-05-03, 21:35
The Prince of all Saiyans

Send a message via ICQ to Bomba!
Quote:
At least when I plug the game into my console, I know it's going to work, and I won't have half a dozen hardware conflicts, or a random system file missing, or some other intangible that comes with PC gaming. But this decision comes down to the almighty dollar - more folks will buy for consoles than on the PC, so that's why console gamers get catered to first.

I'm not trying to start a console vs. PC war, but I'll take my gamepad or Wiimote over a keyboard and mouse any day of the week. And I'm not exactly sure how either console is a "piece of shit," but that comment sounds morel like sour grapes that such an awesome game is not available for the PC (yet) than it is a true assessment of quality. Plus, for being such pieces of shit, former PC exclusives like Crysis are making their way onto consoles, and not gimped versions either.
Oh, no doubt that this comment is because I'm bummed the game is not available for the PC.
Nor do I really think any of the consoles really suck generally. But I sincerely like consoles for certain games only. For most games I really do prefer a keyboard + mouse, GTA is one of those.
No doubt though that if I had a console I'd play it now rather than wait half a year.
"All men dream, but not equally.Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." ~Thomas Edward Lawrence

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life, so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry." ~ Indian Saying
Old 2008-05-03, 21:51
Twinsunian Quetch

shit I can't afford a console, nor a new computer ... how about that ??? I guess I'll stick to Vice City as always as a personal note, I've been playing that game for 5 years now continuously
Old 2008-05-04, 00:38
Father of Shoda

Quote:
For most games I really do prefer a keyboard + mouse, GTA is one of those.
You know that you can buy keyboard and mouse for xbox 360 right?

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-05-04, 14:55
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Oh, no doubt that this comment is because I'm bummed the game is not available for the PC.
Nor do I really think any of the consoles really suck generally. But I sincerely like consoles for certain games only. For most games I really do prefer a keyboard + mouse, GTA is one of those.
No doubt though that if I had a console I'd play it now rather than wait half a year.
No worries. I couldn't see playing Jedi Knight/Academy without my keyboard and mouse either.

Tags
games, videogames