Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-05-09, 22:46
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
Jasiek, it may look like an Alpha escape but I hate the Prince of Persia touch for a girl like Jade. The same goes for Lara Croft.
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2009-05-09, 23:52
weee

Looks good.
Old 2009-05-09, 23:54
Do the evolution.

Lol Quetch, what's wrong with a sporty/athletic chick?

Besides, the moves she does are clearly "parkour"-like and not PoP like...
Anyway, yeah the "parkour" part kinda bugs me (but not because it's a girl doing it! It's an amazing sport but when I think about it I imagine dumb ass skating people and such), but If it's more of an "escape" part of the game then I guess it might be a cool addition.
Old 2009-05-10, 00:41
Twinsunian Quetch

exactly, not the girl thing bothers me, but the fact that parkour has turned into a crappy=butt sport practiced only by wanna-be-cool skaters and such
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2009-05-10, 01:51
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Umm...havnt they just given Mirrors Edge a BG&E2 skin

Well, I guess I'm relieved it isnt a Raving-Rabbits style minigame cop-out anyway.
Old 2009-05-10, 10:58
Idyllic + whimsical

Well, the video is still pretty cool. Whatever game it actually is, it still looks exciting and also very pretty. When I watched the video for the second time I tried to find anything that would convince me it's BG&E, but besides the sort of Jade'ish character I didn't see anything similar. Still I wouldn't feel bad if this game would be tagged with the title "Beyond Good & Evil 2".
I also think the style suits Jade, she was also a bit acrobatic in the first game during the fighting sequences and when jumping around the factory and slaughterhouse.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2009-05-10, 11:38

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
It's pretty evident that Ubisoft wants BGE2 to sell.
Old 2009-05-10, 22:58
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
It's pretty evident that Ubisoft wants BGE2 to sell.
Emm, yeah but I think that's the desire of every little game developer

It's not like you are working on a game for 12 years without finishing it and then you go bankrupcy. Oh wait....

On-topic: I dont know why you guys are complaining, if this is BGE2 the gameplay is just an extended version of what we've seen in the original game. Jade was always energic and jumping here and there.

Old 2009-05-11, 00:35
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its not enough to judge, but that is really close to Mirrors Edge (camera,paceing and most of the movement).
It seriously looks like the same engine.

Not nesscerly bad...the Jade engine itself had bits taken from other Ubisoft games.

It depends on the make-up of the game as a whole.
Old 2009-05-11, 17:21
Do the evolution.

This either is BG&E2 or a something inspired by it, why?

-The voice in the beginning bares resemblence to the "propaganda" music from BGE.
-The cars and technology used looks like inspired by BGE and corresponds to the trailer with Pey'j and Jade in the desert. Also the way the "copters" engines shift and the cars look is 100% BG&E-like.
-The clothes Jade is wearing in both the official trailer and this leaked thing are the same:

^same freakin' character model...!

And If I'm correct it's the same stuff Jade was wearing in the early BG&E1 versions.

IMHO they "leaked" it to see how well will the audience respond to the "parkour" part.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-05-11 at 17:36.
Old 2009-05-11, 23:20
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
it looks a lot like assassin's creed, with vehicles and guns :P
the animations are amazing, the graphics too, it is better but not too far from the first game..
I like it. Who knows about the camera... i hope they make it better!
Old 2009-05-11, 23:45
Classic

I dought thats actualy gameplay footage, if it is, its mostly likely a series of quicktime events because I dought you could controll anything with that camera angle at that speed.
I think its probably a mini-semi-automated scene between two more controllable running bits.

Graphicaly it looks ok, but then, we arnt getting good views of the charecters.
After the (imho dreadfull) realistic styleing of the official trailer, thats my biggest concern.
The first game was visualy incredibly pretty, but not out of detail or realism, it was from the lighting and colour use. The vivid colours with the sun and the reflected water worked really nicely and I'm bit scared they have lost that in favor of the grid/dirt look.
Old 2009-05-12, 01:57

I have a feeling that BGE2 will be to its predecessor what Dreamfall is to TLJ ==> An attempt to appease a wider audience and in the end appeasing no one.
Old 2009-05-12, 02:05
weee

Lightwing, Lightwing, Lightwing... Why always so gray?
Old 2009-05-12, 09:10

Because history repeats itself. I'm not saying that BGE2 will be a failure. Dreamfall was a fantastic game in numerous respects. I'm sure BGE2 will be as well. It's just that in the end, Ubisoft wants to take it in the direction that most companies want to take their games. The modern grity realistic atmosphere. The trouble is that when you take a world that belongs in a particular universe and try to modernize it, more often than not, you slip and smash your face.

These trailers are not proof of anything, they're just omens. BGE2 wouldn't be the first to forsake its predecessor's atmosphere and style for something that sells, and I don't hold it against Ubisoft either. Guys need to make money.
Old 2009-05-12, 09:18
Look beyond reality.

Of course Monkey Island did look awesome in cheapo 3d.
Ergo, I agree. Let's just wait and see what comes out.
Old 2009-05-12, 10:48
Classic

Could always be like Prince of Persia went recently.

Sands of Time - Wonderfull, atmosphere, superb storytelling voiceover and charecterisations.
Warrior Within - Cheap, swearing, shallow dark atmosphere. Bad attempts to mainstream the gameplay with an overemphasis on fighting. (enviroments still nice, mind). No voiceover. Generic charecters,
Two Thrones - Back to SoT style. Wonderfull two-sided voicover, charecterisations, Better balance between fighting and acrobatics, good story. (well, a mater of taste, but at least it made sense this time). Great ending.

Maybe BG&E2 will be the "mistake" that damages the atmosphere but not the gameplay enough for the series to end, thus we get a decent 3rd game?

Of course, I'm asuming this time Ubisoft wont be idiots and if BG&2 sales half decently they will make another in the same engine, and not start from scratch again.
Really BG&E1 should have got a sequal in the same engine straight away in my book. Same generation, mostly the same assets....would have been massively cheaper to make. There was a lot in the first games engine barely used.
Old 2009-05-12, 17:51
Twinsunian Quetch

Darkflame: SUPERB synchronization with my perception of the PoP Trilogy
Old 2009-06-15, 07:55

What worries me about the footage is not that it portrays a modern day India, but that everybody in it is human.

Take my word for it: little good will come from this.
Old 2009-06-15, 14:41
weee

Quote:
Think of it as beyond good...
Old 2009-06-15, 14:56
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
What worries me about the footage is not that it portrays a modern day India, but that everybody in it is human.

RESIDENT EVIL IS TEH RACIZTS!!!!
Old 2009-06-16, 05:36
LOLwut?

Quote:

Well, the developers stated already they won't go back to the old BGE, since they don't want another financial fail.

I don't care too much about the changed style (I don't quite love the old BGE style, so) as far as the story continues, it's ok with me.

We will see, later than sooner it seems.

Old 2009-06-16, 05:40
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
totally agree with rob here. BG&E is one of the few games i'd play and replay and play again... even if the sequal is made by monkeys i'd play it
Old 2009-06-16, 10:29
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGaspar View Post
Well, the developers stated already they won't go back to the old BGE, since they don't want another financial fail.
Never understood that logic, because lots of games fail with a humanly realistic style too.
Its like;

a) If a game as a cartoony style and dosnt sale well = blame the style.
b) If a game has a realistic style and dosnt sale well = blame something else.
Old 2009-06-18, 09:01

Call me crazy but for me half of the appeal of the game stemmed from the cartoony sci-fi and the animal like characters. There is especially something appealing about the kids too, like the goat humanoids for example. It gives a drop of mystery. Like LBA.

Tags
games, videogames