Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-07-17, 04:29
Here.

Some of the PS3 downloadable games look pretty cool. Flower and Ratchet & Clank seem especially interesting
Old 2008-07-17, 08:36
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Pikmen confirmed for the Wii
http://wii.ign.com/articles/891/891395p1.html

Thats good anyway.
Dosnt even need much to change really, just wiimote controlls, online multiplayer, and hopefullly co-op main campagn.
For once I wont be asking for a big new feature, even a basic sequal will please me here.

Sim City Creator for the Wii;
http://wii.ign.com/articles/891/891252p1.html

Sounds quite fun actualy.
Might we finnaly get a Sim City game back to the standards of 2000?
Old 2008-07-17, 09:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
List to AC features;

Quote:
*Furniture and wallpaper to be updated via WiiConnect24.
*You'll be able to port your characters and items from DS to the Wii, and from your DS to other people's Wiis as well!
*The City area will also feature a Theatre which puts on comedy shows.
*Friends can visit the City, even when you're not there - allowing for interactivity indirectly.
*"Christmas" (or the AC equivalent) is back, along with Halloween.
*Using the Wii-mote, you can now design the back and sleeves as well as the front of your clothes.
*Screenshots can be saved directly to SD cards.
*Like Animal Crossing: Wild World, if one player leaves the town, everyone is disconnected. This problem remains in the Wii version.
*Japanese download booths will feature new furniture etc. in real-world stores. Hopefully this will be available worldwide.
*NES games confirmed as NOT returning. Kinda predictable though, since we've all been paying for these on the Virtual Console. (In the original Animal Crossing, a ton of original NES titles were included for free!).
*The title was originally going to feature gamer's local weather via the Forecast Channel, though this was dropped when it was realised some areas would be too rainy/not rainy enough. As usual, southern hemisphere countries will get their seasons inverted.
- http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12083

More a list of what they arnt doing really
Allthough there is a few nice things there.
Still, I'm sure the weather would have worked fine, it does in the real world after all!
Also, with that threater addition, seems like a perfect place to put some of that "Stage Debut" stuff in. Have basic custom-animated shows exchangable between users this way. They probably wont though.
Old 2008-07-17, 11:06
Classic

A few random bits of info from here;

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194394.html

Wii Music;

Quote:
07] So Miyamoto wanted to make software that would handle the theory part and allow people to play the music in their head just with a little rhythm. For the sake of the demo, he chooses to play "Yankee Doodle."

[7:09] The song has six parts: a bass, lead melody, harmony, and chord arrangements for guitars, a drum kit, and a tambourine. Players will be able to arrange their own versions of the songs.

[7:10] Miyamoto chooses to play the lead melody part and strums through a bit, playing it first as it was originally intended, then ad-libbing melody parts.

[7:10] He then changes the instrument on the lead melody part instantly, and begins playing the song with a xylophone, steel drums, and then a harpsichord.
Sounds a little better now actualy.
Early impressions from elsewhere almost seemed like it had bugger-all interactivity.

Wiimotion Plus;
Quote:
[6:48] Eguchi's translator first apologizes because he's an engineer, then gets into the explanation. The MotionPlus adds an angle to the Remote's existing accelerometer data, which allows the system to interpret more complex motions.
As I suspected, it adds "The missing angle" to the data.

Quote:
[6:59] The last Wii Sports Resort question is that considering the MotionPlus' ability to detect minute motions, is there concern that this would lead to increased difficulty in gameplay.

[7:02] Eguchi said the developers are very aware of the issue and are keeping it in mind as they make the game. They always ask themselves if the increasingly complex uses of the MotionPlus are still easy to play. They want a low difficulty hurdle at the beginning and want depth to keep everyone happy.

[7:02] "The more you bite, the more flavor you get."
Nice quote.
Lets hope developers live up to that thinking.
Old 2008-07-17, 11:31
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
I'll give you a quote:

Quote:
Morgan Webb: "So Reggie what do you have to say to hardcore gamers who might feel left out by you at this point?"

Reggie: "How could you feel left out? The Animal Crossing that we've been hearing about that people wanted. Fully connected to the Internet, go to other people's towns. Plus as I said, Grand Theft Auto on the DS. How do you feel left out with those types of announcements?"
Animal Crossing
hardcore gamers
.....no
Old 2008-07-17, 12:25
Classic

True, I would just be much more happy if they were honest.

"We dont have that many 1st party in-depth games out in the next 6 months, but we have teams working on stuff we arnt ready to show yet"

Contry to most, I really dont mind their being gaps, and them not having AAA titles to show. I just wish they didnt try to hype up what they had so much.

That said, many ""hardcore gamers"" do actualy enjoy animal crossing, havest moon, even the Sims.
I'm not one of them, but the stupid hardcore/casual distinction isnt so easily applied.
Especialy seeing as some people seem to spend most of their lives in this sort of game.
Old 2008-07-17, 19:26
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
If you didn't know, the PS3 game Fl0wer is a sequel to the flash game Flow:
http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/flowing/

Apparently it's an idea from some professor and while playing the game you'd get in this relaxed state of mind or something. Not sure but give it a try.
Old 2008-07-17, 19:31
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
I'll give you a quote:

Animal Crossing
hardcore gamers
.....no
Think Ninty is just a tad out of touch with it's hardcore fanbase?

Meh, in many ways I wish Nintendo would have failed this generation and gone the way of Sega, only making games. Unfortunately, the soccer mom strategy worked. Alas.
Old 2008-07-17, 19:51
Idyllic + whimsical

I just noticed this game a few hours ago: I Am Alive.

Makes you think of I Am Legend in a second, but I think it might be interesting.

By the way did anyone play Disaster Report or its sequel, Raw Danger?
They're also two games about everything breaking apart all of a sudden and surviving.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-07-17, 23:26
Classic

I repeat, again, the hardcore distinction is stupid.
This guy has the right ideas;

http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html

Particularly this diagram;

Makes much more sense to me. Its all about the curve of understanding a game, and how much the user will tolerate having to learn.

The guy does go a bit off later though.
While I'm sure Nintendo wants downmarket users to become upmarket ones, but I dont think he supplied enough evidence to prove thats happening yet.
MarioKart and NewMarioBros dont prove anything in and themselfs.

He is dead right though that this whole casual stuff is bullshit. Its been going on for ages. Suddenly when Nintendo has a success everyone pretends its all new and its a bandwagon that has to be jumped on.

Overall its a good artical.
Lots of good points about how immitators fail to "get" why a game like GTA or WiiSports is successfull. The plastic dog ananlogy is nice.
He just falls a bit flat when it comes to analysing Nintendos actions.
If these casual games....like Ubisofts shit DS games....arnt saleing particularly well, wheres the figures to back it up?
I hope its true,but that dosnt mean it is.

oh, I also dissagree with his reasoning for "slick" games often not being as good.

Quote:
Meh, in many ways I wish Nintendo would have failed this generation and gone the way of Sega, only making games.
Heck no.
Mario and Zelda with load times? euh.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-07-17 at 23:36.
Old 2008-07-18, 03:32
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
He is dead right though that this whole casual stuff is bullshit. Its been going on for ages. Suddenly when Nintendo has a success everyone pretends its all new and its a bandwagon that has to be jumped on.

Heck no.
Mario and Zelda with load times? euh.
I don't think it's bullshit, especially when I look at the games I *want* for each console.

Also, give me a Zelda with loadtimes if it means Nintendo giving me a populated world, unlike the emptiness that was TP.
Old 2008-07-18, 03:34
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Pikmen confirmed for the Wii
http://wii.ign.com/articles/891/891395p1.html

Thats good anyway.
Dosnt even need much to change really, just wiimote controlls, online multiplayer, and hopefullly co-op main campagn.
For once I wont be asking for a big new feature, even a basic sequal will please me here.
YES!

WOOOOOOooooooooOOOoooO!

That makes up for all the presision controller crap for me.
Old 2008-07-18, 12:19
Classic

Nintendo provides a explanation as to why they didnt show anything new;

http://www.cubed3.com/news/10463

This would explain also why Microsoft or Sony almost didnt show anything new either.

Quote:
I think that there’s probably one other element to it, and that’s that our view of how we use E3 has changed. For a very long time, E3 was an event where — and certainly Nintendo included — catered specifically to the core gamer. Now we look at more … an opportunity for us to introduce new concepts and new types of play that we intend to bring to the broader audience, particularly because of the media that gathers at E3 now.
Basicaly, this new-cut-down E3 sucks.

I wouldnt be supprised if the whole show dies in a year or too after all the progressive cut backs.
Wouldnt be such a bad thing,imo.
Just let developers announce stuff when they are ready, rather then saving/rushing it for some show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
I don't think it's bullshit, especially when I look at the games I *want* for each console.
You didnt get the context.
The casual division is one that has only just appeared recently and has been jumped on by third partys.
But the market is nothing new. Nintendo didnt invent it, heck, they dont even use the word "casual".
I'm not saying you should like "Animalz Babyz Geniusz" or whatever other crap Ubi's Imagine brand is putting out these days.

Read the artical, its fairly good.
Basicaly he is pointing out most 3rd partys are releaseing more or less flash-games on steroids for the Wii....flash games being insanely popular amongst "Casuals" way before the Wii even existed. Nintendo didnt create a new casual market, they just released a very accessible games system.

Also, Just because theres a bunch of games you certainly dont want, dosnt mean you can call them all "casual"
As I pointed out before, many people that call themselfs hardcore do play stuff like Animal Crossing, and consider it just as much a "proper" game as anything else. (personaly, I find that sort of game tedious...but then, I find most RPGs that way as well...I dont call them casual though)

Quote:
Also, give me a Zelda with loadtimes if it means Nintendo giving me a
populated world, unlike the emptiness that was TP.
TP had more people then any previous Zelda.
Yes, they should have talked/been more active, but no, that isnt a system issue.
(see; Tales of Symphonia,also a gamecube game which had shitloads of nicely styled people, all talking, but craply animated in comparison.)

And seriously, a non-seamless Zelda game would utterly suck.

As would not playing the joys of Metroid Corruption, Zack & Wiki, and (yes) Wii Sports as well with the Wiimote.

Nintendo values quickloading, seamless, and unique games over a graphics.
They dont just make (mostly) games I like more then the others, they make systems that meet my preferances too.
System and Game design go hand in hand, which is partly why the mario games are always so nice to controll.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2008-07-18 at 12:24.
Old 2008-07-18, 12:31
Classic

Nintendo are considering building the new sensor into Wiimotes;
http://www.cubed3.com/news/10475

hmz.
Obviously, it would be neater in one unit.
But a split-market is not a good thing. In many ways leaving it seperate and attachable is easier to understand, then a "wiimote mk1" and a "wiimote mk2" style thing.

Frankly, there biggest issue is bundleing it with a game people want.
I really like WiiSports, never got bored with it as such, play it occasionaly still.

However, WiiSports is a nice packaged. 5 sports, lots of nice training games (which I play more often), and plenty of skill actualy needed (WiiBaseball).

This new WiiSport game, however, from whats currently shown looks utterly rubbish.
It may well demo 1:1 controlls, but the actual games dont look as good...and theres only 3 of them
No sign of training modes either, let alone online multiplayer.

There better be a lot more to the game then they have shown, else they have really took a nose-dive.
The original WiiSports was, imho, a perfect demo of why when Nintendo make downmarket games that dont put some n00b development team on it and assume ""casual games cant tell the different, so why bother"". This, so far, dosnt look like nearly so much effort went into it
Old 2008-07-18, 16:00
master of electronica

I agree with you about the new Wii Sports, Darkflame. The potential is certainly there, but it does seem very sparse. It should have at least as many games as the original Wii Sports did. I think the new Animal Crossing is suffering from the same thing; from all the previews I've read, there doesn't seem to be too much that is new. I mean sure, they've added a lot of connecting and functionality options that weren't there before, but in terms of the actual world and activities you can do, it seems pretty sparse.

And I agree with JJ on the TP issue. It was the main thing that ruined that game for me. Didn't you find it far too underpopulated? Dungeons wise, it was one of my favorite Zeldas, but for some reason - even if there were technically more characters than in it than in any other Zelda game - it felt like the overworld and all the villages/towns were grossly underpopulated. Apart from Castle City, that is (but most of those characters didn't talk.) Heck, even LBA2 had far more people in its towns (I actually went back to play it after completing Zelda:TP) and that came out years before and had full voice acting!

If they had simply inhabited every village with larger populations of animated, talking characters (they didn't even need to say much, just a sentence each, maybe) then it could have so much more of an immersive experience.

I still love TWW, though. That was a very, very beautiful (albeit far too easy) Zelda game.
Old 2008-07-18, 16:30
Magic Ball Master

I'm sorry, but TP was absolute shit when it came to the open world. It was empty, desolate, and basically boring as hell. People complained about the sailing in Wind Waker, but I really enjoyed it; TP nearly killed me because it was just painstakingly empty, and trying to remember where the hell you were in a void of emptiness was no fun.

Please remember I say this as a Zelda fan, it's my favorite series of all time. I just really thinking Ninty blew some aspects of TP. I agree with CS2X - the dungeons in TP were absolutely fantastic.

In all honest, I would hope that in the next Zelda incarnation, they would a.) return to cel-shading, b.) begin to add voices for NPC's, and c.) work on making a lush, open world.

Incidentally, while the game isn't finished, I'd also like to see them go the route of Prince of Persia and have some more user-choice in direction. The main problem I have with the series is how linear it is. I understand the side-quests, and in games like LTTP it seemed like there was always a cluster of things to do or explore; this was even better with Wind Waker and the Bomber's Notebook in Majora's Mask. But I'm talking about a little more RPG element where you could end up getting a certain weapon or losing a particular character and fundamentally changing the story. Deus Ex did this fabulously, and while I'm not saying Zelda has to go that far, I would not object to "personalizing" the character of Link a bit more. If anything, it could help make up for the no-voice for Link that many people (although I'm not one of them) complain about when it comes to the series.

Last edited by Double-J; 2008-07-18 at 17:05.
Old 2008-07-19, 00:39
Magic Ball Master

It's not the fact that the game felt "empty" that bothered me the most about Twilight Princess. What I disliked most was that it was just a complete retread of ground that Nintendo had already previously covered. TP brought nothing new to the table, it was just Ocarina of Time all over again, except the parts between dungeons were frustratingly long and dull at times. I guess this is what the fanboys wanted though - OoT part 2.

While Majoras Mask and Wind Waker had their flaws, at least they dared to try new ideas with the series.

EDIT: Also, TP was such a dour and hurmourless game, and the text in it was so dull, I sank into despair every time a cut scene reared it's head. At least WW didn't take itself too seriously and had a quirky charm at it's core. But Nintendo could really do with hiring some decent writers for games such as Zelda.

Last edited by Snapman; 2008-07-19 at 00:48.
Old 2008-07-19, 04:34
Magic Ball Master

^ Agrees completely with Snap.

^^ That must be a first.
Old 2008-07-19, 11:32
formerly just angry

Agreed - The text in TP was just so horrific I stopped wanting to play at all. What the need to do is find the writers of Rocket Slime and get them working on Zelda

Old 2008-07-20, 22:34
Do the evolution.

Fallout 3 gameplay videos suck ass. Totally.
Old 2008-07-20, 23:42
master of electronica

I've been watching Little Big Planet gameplay videos and I've read a couple of articles on it.

I think I am going to a buy PS3 just for this game. When I have the money and when it comes out. It looks like the kind of game I've always wanted; finally, some creation instead of destruction!

I was expecting the Wii to be a console that had games like that on it. I never thought it'd end up as the pest it is, attracting masses of clueless non-gamers to waggle-enhanced shovelware. But I'm going to keep it, just so I can have a bash at Mario Galaxy every once in a while.
Old 2008-07-21, 11:22
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Fallout 3 gameplay videos suck ass. Totally.
Well it surely isn't going to be like old Fallouts, but like I said in another post there's a good chance it'll still be nice, something like Deus Ex, and as long as I can freely explore a post-apocalyptic world I'm happy.
Old 2008-07-21, 18:12
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBall2K View Post
Well it surely isn't going to be like old Fallouts(...)
Well actually I mean it sucks on it's own, not compared to other fallouts. Also why all they're showing is fighting?! Like it's the most important aspect of Fallout... Pfff, who cares about fighting, show me the interactions with NPC's, the cities, the level design... it looks like "Oblivion with guns".

For me, after seeing the developer diaries(the level making is just sick, I freakin want those tools...), and doing some reading, RAGE looks like something much more worth-while (in the post-apocalyptic genre)...
Old 2008-07-21, 18:57
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Also why all they're showing is fighting?!
* FireBall2K shrugs
The only thing that comes up in mind is that they've been secret on this project altogether. Maybe in a month we'll see something else...
Old 2008-07-21, 21:01
weee

Does Fallout 3 have a release date or something?

Tags
games, videogames