Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-05-26, 13:46
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Twinsen The official E3 2009 thread. (new Monkey Island!)

2008's E3 Thread; http://forum.magicball.net/showthrea...highlight=2008

Ok, its almost E3 again and news is starting to trickle in.
Will we see big announcements? Or will it be relatively disappointing?
Will Adventure Games make an appearance? Maybe Capcom will announce Okami2?

What about rumours of Microsoft releasing a motion controller? Or Sony completely redoing the PSP as a download-only system?

--

First bits and pieces;

High-Voltage Announce Gladiator A.D for Wii
http://www.cubed3.com/news/12382

While its hard to judge them yet seeing as there first major game...Conduit...is yet to be released/reviewed, its fair to say they are putting a lot more effort into their Wii games then most developers are. They seem particularly good for a new developer.
Not sure I'm excited by this at all...fighting games arnt my thing. Though if they pull of decent motion plus swordfighting it could be fun.

Metroid Trillogy (Wii) -
http://www.cubed3.com/news/12379

Not much to say about this. All 3 Metroid Prime games, ported on one disc, now using Metroid Corruptions (absolutely Superb) controll system.
They have also updated to 480P support, and added the achievement/medel/bonus system to the first two games. Seems pretty good value.

Of course, I highly dought this is all RetroStudios has been doing the last 2 years. I suspect another game announcement from them during the show.

Cursed Mountine (Wii);
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=13211

Could go either way on this one. Has the potential to be a brillent Eternal-Darkness like action/adventure/horror game, or it might be terrible.
Theres some sort of ARG or online or something at its website;
http://cursedmountain.deepsilver.com/

Either way, I'll probably pick this up. I like DeepSilver, one of the few publishers to actively do new IPs and Adventure Games as there core buisness.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-26 at 14:25.
Old 2009-05-26, 15:53
Magic Ball Master

Since DF seems to have the Ninty section covered, I guess I'll work the Sony angle.

What the fuck is Heavy Rain? Developer Quantic Dream wants to make an interactive murder mystery game where you play as four different characters, almost like a movie, where you make decisions and it alters the gameplay and story.

Hmm. It confuses the fuck out of me. I'm wondering what it actually is, since very little has been said about it.

Anything from Jedi Master Kojima: The genius whose name is eponymous with Kojima Productions and a little series that you might have heard of...Metal Gear...that allegedly ended with the brilliant, GOTY-winning masterpiece that is MGS4: Guns of the Patriots, has...(gasp)...another chapter?

What is Kojima's mysterious countdown? Speculation abounds as to whether it is a new Metal Gear game, to an Orange Box-esque Metal Gear pack (although that seems strange, since we already have the Metal Gear Essentials), or is it...RAIDEN?!?!?!? According to a Japanese gaming mag, MGS5 has been confirmed through a leak.

We'll find out in about 12 hours. I can't wait, personally.

Infinity Ward returns to Modern Warfare: Fun times in CoD4. Even funner times in CoD5?

I don't know. But I'd suspect it to be so. Plus, having the PS3 as the lead development platform can only mean good things for us Sony fans.

Bioshock 2 = Rape I really can't wait to see the sequel to 2K Marin's brilliant GOTY, Bioshock. Now, you're a Big Daddy the entire game. How can that not generate a stimulation from your genital region? Seriously?

The best story driven shooter I've played since Half-Life 2. Very excited.

Rumors and Speculation:
  • Sony releasing a motion controller: Dear Christ, please, no. It's bad enough we had the horrendously retarded child that was Sixaxis, which was a total abomination.

Thankfully, most games have totally ignored it, or made it optional (ex. Uncharted, CoD4). Some games have integrated it well (the highly underrated Folklore) but its too gimmicky.

I already have a Wii for gesture-driven shovelware, I suspect this is just a cheap ploy by Sony to try and cash in on the Wii-motion craze and steal some userbase. Doubtful, however, given the restrictive price point of the PS3, which bring me to my next rumor...

• PS3 Price Drop Announced @ E3 for Fall: No way Sony can get that casual gamer userbase without dropping its price point. I paid $499 for my 60GB SKU when they made the first price drop two summers ago, as they phased out the (still superior) 60 gig model.

Casual gamers will not pay $499 for the PS3. If the goal is to get people playing the PS3 like they are playing the Wii, they need to drop the price. The BRD player is not that great of an incentive...casual gamers (arguably) don't care about hi-def movies. They don't care about the massive media capabilities of the console.

• PS3 Slim Rumored: I see this as a good thing if it does two things: 1.) Generates a price drop of at least $100 USD, and 2.) Brings back software backwards compatibility which Sony took out about a year and a half ago. Many people bought PS3's with full hardware emulation because our PS2's were dying/convenience.

It was a big selling point. Then once the 60 gigs were discontinued (it was too costly, per Sony, to install an Emotion Engine PS2 chipset into every PS3), the new models had software emulation for PS2 games. Then, randomly, Sony said...oh noes, no more BC. Bad move. Yes, people are still buying PS2 hardware, so I can see why they did that, but honestly, Sony, you don't want people buying last-gen hardware. Drop the price of the PS3, let them buy a PS3, hype up the backwards compatibility, and you'll net all those folks who wanted a PS2.

Last edited by Double-J; 2009-05-26 at 16:09.
Old 2009-05-26, 16:28
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yes, a price cut is a must for Sony. Period.
Its not really competing with Nintendo as such there, but the Xbox360 is considerably cheaper, and a lot of people dont care much for BluRay.

PS2 compatibility was still a big saleing point as well, considering the ps2 had one of the largest game cataologues of any system ever.
Especialy as you could play the games in suppiour quality then they were originaly. (emulated in higher res, like the 360 still does).

Anyway;
Heavy Rain is a very interesting one, incidently, as it was originaly shown as a tech-demo for the PS3 before launch. I'm guessing they made a rather kick-arse engine/tech and didnt want it going to waste :P So Prediction; great graphics, so-so gameplay, with a good story but a tad short.
I dont hold up for anything interesting in the "your choices effect the outcome!" dozens of games for decades have claimed that and its never turns out very well done.
Theres also a game called "The Outsider" which claims a similiar thing, but I think might pull it off better;
http://www.frontier.co.uk/games/
Quote:
The Outsider stimulates characters' motivations in an immersive, dynamic world and storyline. This gives the player genuine freedom to change the story outcomes in a way not seen before - each player will get a truly unique, sophisticated experience.

As for a PS3 motion controller, I dought it for much of the reasons you said. The 6Axis was dumb because it missed the point; The Wiimote works because it can feel like a bat, a sword, or a gun. The 6axis is just suitable for tilting, nothing else will feel right with it.

But they could do something interesting with the eye toy, or an upgraded one.

The Wii's massive advantage controll wise is actualy in FPS's, even if there precious few on the system. Sony could use the eyetoy with, say, some simple trackable stick, to give a similiar sense of precision and speed a wiimote/IR has. A Wiimote can act like a mouse, Sony would benifit hugely from having something like that on their system, imho.

Or if they want to be actualy pro-active rather then reactive they could do some eye-tracking system. Probably need a better camera for that, but eyes arnt that hard to track.
Id personaly be very interested in a "look to shot" style game, especialy combined with head-tracking perspective. (which gives a very strong illusion of 3d).
Obviously, youd still need a controller too. But if aiming is done with your eyes, youd only need a standard controll set up for movement.

On the other hand, I guess FPS would become far too easier
Still be an interesting expirement no?

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-26 at 16:33.
Old 2009-05-26, 16:36
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Metroid Trillogy (Wii) -
http://www.cubed3.com/news/12379

Not much to say about this. All 3 Metroid Prime games, ported on one disc, now using Metroid Corruptions (absolutely Superb) controll system.
They have also updated to 480P support, and added the achievement/medel/bonus system to the first two games. Seems pretty good value.

Of course, I highly dought this is all RetroStudios has been doing the last 2 years. I suspect another game announcement from them during the show.
Does Echoes have updated 576i support?
Old 2009-05-26, 17:27
Magic Ball Master

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-top-...22141640810012
Old 2009-05-26, 17:28
>:C

Send a message via AIM to Mouserz Send a message via MSN to Mouserz Send a message via Yahoo to Mouserz
beyond good and evil 2?
Old 2009-05-26, 18:00
Classic

Kolbold - Dunno, it merely specifys all have been updated tom 480p, which is the best that the Wii can output. 578i isnt specified, but is probably there as a fall-back for older tv's. (note; PAL60 format isnt actualy Pal resolution at 60frames per second, its NTSC resolution at 60 frames a second, but with the Pal colour scheme).
--
Double-J - I actualy find that list rather depressing. Too many sequals/ "wouldnt it be nice if we had exactly this game but now next gen!" blah.

As for 3D, I'm all for it, but I think headtracking is actualy easier to do current gen and of more practical use. Its hard to explain the "wow-factor" so easily though. I only got it myself after trying Johney-Lee's wiimote hack/pc-demo thingy.
Old 2009-05-26, 21:17
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Kolbold - Dunno, it merely specifys all have been updated tom 480p, which is the best that the Wii can output. 578i isnt specified, but is probably there as a fall-back for older tv's. (note; PAL60 format isnt actualy Pal resolution at 60frames per second, its NTSC resolution at 60 frames a second, but with the Pal colour scheme).
Echoes on the GameCube didn't support PAL50, which is the only thing that works on my TV. It would only be useful if it actually has the "downgrade" to PAL50, I cannot afford a new TV by any means. I also don't see the point, as I don't think it's much work to add a 50Hz mode.
Old 2009-05-26, 21:42
Classic

Are you sure your TV dosnt? Because even tvs over a decade old (like mine) support 60hz just fine.
Sometimes tv's only support 60hz though certain inputs. Does it have a scart socket? if so, give that a try first.
Old 2009-05-26, 22:19
The return of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post

What is Kojima's mysterious countdown? Speculation abounds as to whether it is a new Metal Gear game, to an Orange Box-esque Metal Gear pack (although that seems strange, since we already have the Metal Gear Essentials), or is it...RAIDEN?!?!?!? According to a Japanese gaming mag, MGS5 has been confirmed through a leak.

We'll find out in about 12 hours. I can't wait, personally.

Infinity Ward returns to Modern Warfare: Fun times in CoD4. Even funner times in CoD5?

I don't know. But I'd suspect it to be so. Plus, having the PS3 as the lead development platform can only mean good things for us Sony fans.
I was following the countdown a week ago, only for it to end on thursday night, revealing another countdown. Then I read on various forums, its actually a countdown, to a countdown, to a countdown, to the reveal on June 1st. With each countdown a new set of letters start flashing in the background. currently is e 3 E 5, and E could be M turned 90 degrees counter clockwise... That bastard has way too much time on his hands!

COD4 Modern warfare, mmm yummy!
Old 2009-05-26, 22:32
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Are you sure your TV dosnt? Because even tvs over a decade old (like mine) support 60hz just fine.
Sometimes tv's only support 60hz though certain inputs. Does it have a scart socket? if so, give that a try first.
My TV manual doesn't mention any Hz modes at all, I looked it through.
I only have scart sockets to connect my consoles, and when running games in 60Hz on it, the games appear in black & white and sometimes don't even have sound. I tested it with several games both on the GameCube and the Wii, and it definitely doesn't support 60Hz.
Old 2009-05-26, 23:12
Classic

Not having sound is very unusual too, as thats not related to...well..anything to do with picture formats. Its normaly just a phono channel, regardless of what cable it goes down.(eg, with the right adapters you could plug headphones into any console...all the adapters would be doing is changing the shape basicaly :P )

Hmz...if your TV dosnt mention Hz modes at all, there might be one last option for you to try;
Does it have a v-hold or v-sycn nob or setting? I think if the range of that nob is enough you can tune the speed of the sycn-rate up to 60hz.(the picture will fly around the screen verticaly while you are doing this).
Dought that will fix a black and white issue though.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-05-26 at 23:28.
Old 2009-05-26, 23:17
Magic Ball Master

The sound in Need for Speed: Underground 2 worked only in 50Hz mode, not in 60Hz mode. In other games, the sound worked despite running the game in 60Hz (though it was still b/w).

I don't know whether the colors would appear if I simply changed the framerate. It seems to be a problem caused by different colour settings.

My point is, they should just make their games PAL-50 compatible! It's extremely frustrating not to be able to play games because they were too lazy to implemented it.
Old 2009-05-26, 23:33
Classic

Well, its more a question of not-converting rather the implimenting. (NTSC>>PAL at 60hz is much easier, as the framerate stays the same. Else they should adjust the game speed to componansate).
Of course, they should do it anyway.

As for the black and white, thats almost like the tv isnt getting the right color format. (NTSC on a PAL tv or visa versa). I have heard though the wrong framerate can result in black and white, dunno how though.
Still weird with the sound.

Theres some information here on the whole thing;
http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=4511
Old 2009-05-27, 00:53
Magic Ball Master

That site sounds like there's a difference between using a SCART cable and the composite video cables. I use a SCART adapter for the composite video cables to plug it into my TV. Both the cables and the adapter came with the Wii by default. Does a proper SCART cable give something different?
Old 2009-05-27, 01:19
Classic

No, it shouldnt do.
The TV might behave differently depending which socket the stuffs coming in from, but it wont "know" you have used an scart all the way, or an adapter.
====

Flip's Twisted World (Wii) - Graphics/Art style could do with a lot of work, but the concept might be fun.
Basicaly, its like those sections in mariogalaxy where you could flip the gravity plane, only you can do that at any time.
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24796
Post-Galaxy there hasnt been much decent platformers about, so its nice to see (hopefully) one.

Toribash (WiiWare)

This actualy looks really interesting.
Havnt played the PC version, but apperently its a turn-based beat-en-up where you can use completely customisable moves. (your character has 20 joints which can be manipulated). Not sure if the idea will work, but I love someone is trying something new in the mind-blowing stagnate genre of fighting games.
Old 2009-05-27, 01:27
Classic

Heavy Rain (PS3) - Hands on preview here;
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174347&p=37
Still dosnt give a very good impression of the gameplay, just mostly talking about story/cutscene stuff.
Quote:
"Beyond moving and searching for clues, the majority of my hands-on time consists of timing button presses with icons appearing on the screen, which are implemented very well."
It could still be a good game, but it seems from that interview we are honestly supposed to get excited because of...what...the virtual actors in it?
Old 2009-05-27, 01:34
Classic

Red Steal 2 "Leaked" Trailer -
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24574

Actualy, this looks really nice, the graphic style suits the Wii well, and with (finaly) proper 1:1 sword motion controlls it could be really satisfying to play.
I particularly like how the player switchs from gun to sword and back again seamlessly.

Of course though, the first game was a huge let down, and I dont know who they think their kidding with "internal use only" and pretending this is accidental leak.
Internal videos for companys generaly dont have actors waving things about in front of a tv thats (for them) probably turned off.

The Grudge (Wii) - Yes, an official game from that japanease horror guy. I dought it will be any good.
http://www.cubed3.com/news/12387#replysh
Old 2009-05-27, 01:43
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Heavy Rain (PS3) - Hands on preview here;
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174347&p=37
Still dosnt give a very good impression of the gameplay, just mostly talking about story/cutscene stuff.

It could still be a good game, but it seems from that interview we are honestly supposed to get excited because of...what...the virtual actors in it?
That's pretty much my reaction too. It sounds like an interesting *idea* but there isn't anything concrete to go on. Right now, it sounds kind of like a pretty version of The Sims. :P
Old 2009-05-27, 01:44
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axx View Post
I was following the countdown a week ago, only for it to end on thursday night, revealing another countdown. Then I read on various forums, its actually a countdown, to a countdown, to a countdown, to the reveal on June 1st. With each countdown a new set of letters start flashing in the background. currently is e 3 E 5, and E could be M turned 90 degrees counter clockwise... That bastard has way too much time on his hands!

COD4 Modern warfare, mmm yummy!
Yeah, the countdown is mysterious...and even more mysterious...it's like waiting for sex.
Old 2009-05-27, 13:02
Classic

Ive long grown bored of web hype campagns like that. Especialy as they sometimes are used for the most pathetic of announcements.
--
GhostWire (DSi)-

Quote:
Ghostwire, the company's just-announced DSi game, puts players in the role of ghost hunter and allows them to use the camera, microphone and other features of Nintendo's handheld to find evidence of the supernatural.

A Different Game calls the gameplay gimmick here "augmented reality;" Ghostwire basically turns your portable device into a ghost-finding machine. You tune in to ghosts' frequencies then looks through the viewfinder at the room you're in and you see ghouls, phantoms, wisps and other assorted spirits super-imposed on the real world.

Not to sure what the Gameplays like and how much substance something like this could have, but it seems original, and I like AR stuff.
Old 2009-05-27, 13:16
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
Ubisoft will show LBA3.
Old 2009-05-27, 13:19
Classic

I think you missunderstood, when people talk about Swine Flu, its not about Pigs Flying :P
Old 2009-05-27, 16:11
Classic

The Grinder (Wii) -

Online, FPS Co-op Horror.
Looks good;

http://www.cubed3.com/news/12395
Old 2009-05-27, 17:50
Do the evolution.

If the only "good" stuff on this years E3 is console stuff Im not following it. Tis lame.

Tags
games, videogames