Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-06-30, 17:01
weee

I meant "like it" can either mean "have affection for it" or "similar to it". Darkflame inferred the second meaning.
Old 2009-06-30, 21:43
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
ahh sorry I didn't type "do you" before my bad
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2009-07-13, 17:06
Magic Ball Master

Anybody get a confirmation email yet? It's been more than 2 weeks and nothing for me.
Old 2009-07-18, 02:59
Do the evolution.

I got mine just now .
Downloading.
Old 2009-07-18, 04:45
Magic Ball Master

Boo!

Jas, can you send me the file(s) when you get a chance? I've got nothing in my inbox.

Edit: Nevermind. It got caught in Gmail's spam filter.

Last edited by Double-J; 2009-07-18 at 08:07.
Old 2009-07-18, 09:49
weee

Crap! I get so many spam on Gmail, I just empty it regularly without looking... damn.
Old 2009-07-18, 13:22
weee

(woo!)
Thanks for the help Jasiek
Old 2009-07-18, 15:43
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Crap! I get so many spam on Gmail, I just empty it regularly without looking... damn.
Same, I ended up searching all the messages for "Atmosphir" when I saw Jas got his and I knew most of us registered for the beta around the same time, I was surprised I didn't get it. Sure enough, buried beneath the penile enhancements and bank loans and send-us-your-password spam, a beta code was there!
Old 2009-07-20, 16:01
Magic Ball Master

Okay, what the fuck? Every level I've played, it seems like they intentionally designed the jump to be ridiculously fucking short - you can't leap over any of the obstacles, and grabbing ledges and stuff is cumbersome and, most times, random. What gives?
Old 2009-07-20, 16:57
weee

Disappointment: Atmosphir is just a level editor for not-very-much platform game.
Old 2009-07-20, 21:21
Twinsunian Quetch

hate to say "I told ya"
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2009-07-21, 02:36
Magic Ball Master

Uninstalled. Seems crappy.
Old 2009-07-21, 21:01
Twinsunian Quetch

get real people, there ain't no engine out there which can be soooooo OMG COOL AND AWESOME AND PRODUCTIVE at the same time while putting your hard work aside. Come on, it's like those ads with "make games in a flash with no programming skills whatsoever" ... it's a BS engine man and I tell u this just by seeing their website info, haven't even tried it yet
Old 2009-07-21, 21:42
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Knytt Story does it.
This could have been a 3d Knytt Storys type thing.
Old 2009-07-21, 23:02
Twinsunian Quetch

wo wo wo Knytt Stories is:

1) a 2D engine, making things wayy more easy, stable and even expandable
2) an engine focused on only 1 type of game genre and also just one style

so u see, when u limit the engine from the very beginning it is very simple to make a strong improvement on that area, but when u wanna offer "free worlds" and stuff, with lots and lots of CUSTOM things, shit breaks loose and u know it ... bottom line:

COOL, EASY, PRODUCTIVE, NO PROGRAMMING TYPE (aka BRAINLESS ZOMBIE) AND ALSO CUSTOMIZABLE (oh and FREE) are adjectives which cannot coexist in the world of a single game engine ... EVER
Old 2009-07-22, 00:15
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, apperently they can if its a 2D platformer game.
(Knytt Story and Little Big Planet both do it, LBP having the online world exchange/multiplay).

I dont think this ever looked like more then a 3D platformer too me, I didnt ever picture FPS or racing games or whatever, and I dont think anyone else did.
Seemed to me to just be a varying between puzzle-platforming and timed-platforming....which should be fully possible to do, imho. (especialy in a tile based engine)

Nothing will make a great game for you, but I think with tweaking a concept like this could work very well and be very possible to pull off.
Old 2009-07-22, 00:46
Twinsunian Quetch

with the right people behind ... maybe ... but most of the times those people are not there
Old 2009-07-25, 01:40
Do the evolution.

I for one still think it's cool, mainly because it's a Knytt type thing with a live community making new levels and really nice tools. Of course there's a tiny problem though... the linux version is crap and very slow with artefacts. And the windows one under Wine will not connect to the internets .
Old 2009-07-25, 03:07
Magic Ball Master

I can barely jump though, which makes the platforming pretty much useless...
Old 2009-07-25, 13:55
Classic

Havnt tried it yet, but surely thats an easy thing for them to fix?

Perhaps have a global-gravity setting for levels, thus letting creators pick their own jump-heights.
Old 2009-07-25, 20:15
Do the evolution.

Yeah, that's how it works. Apparently in all the levels DJ tried, the jump value was set really low.

Actually, that's how I wanted to set it in my levels....
Old 2009-07-25, 22:38
weee

I don't know, this Atmosphir thing just doesn't have that "wow" factor...
Old 2009-07-26, 15:03
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Yeah, that's how it works. Apparently in all the levels DJ tried, the jump value was set really low.

Actually, that's how I wanted to set it in my levels....
It was strange...I played about a dozen levels, and my player would barely hop. You couldn't get over any objects, at all.
Old 2009-07-26, 15:35
Do the evolution.

I think that will go away, they don't have water yet, so they're using the height jump to restrict you from getting out of the level. And also to make you find your way out instead of jumping over everything.
Old 2009-07-26, 18:48
Classic

Getting a good "feel" for a character in a platform game is actually quite hard. So it dosnt supprise me that got it wrong first time.
Shouldn't be too hard for them to correct though.Adjusting the algorithm for the jump/gravity relationship should be possible in a patch.

But they should still make sure its a user-option on the levels, so everythings stays backwards compatible.

I also think a nice extension to this game engine would be to have rolling characters that cant jump, and set the landscape to rotate... basically making a Monkey-Ball esq set up, only with more options.

Tags
atmosphir, awesome, editor, games, indie, mustache, ninjas, stuffs, sugarrush, threedee