Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-03-26, 18:38
Polly parrot

I guess he means you have to reload it often.
Darkflame, how come you bought one ? You said in one of your previous post that you'll stick to the DS for a while...
By the way, I heard that DSi CycloDS linkers are compatible with the 3DS.
Old 2011-03-26, 19:59
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
DSi CycloDS linkers
What is that?
Old 2011-03-26, 20:57
Magic Ball Master

Sounds like hacking/ installing homebrew. Fair enough, but I don't see a reason for that with no homebrew software released yet.
Old 2011-03-26, 21:06
Magic Ball Master

Sounds like Nintendo are doing there best as usual.
Old 2011-03-26, 21:35
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
I guess he means you have to reload it often.
Darkflame, how come you bought one ? You said in one of your previous post that you'll stick to the DS for a while...
By the way, I heard that DSi CycloDS linkers are compatible with the 3DS.
Flatmate had one was playing about with it
Old 2011-03-28, 18:29
Magic Ball Master

Here's a nice 3DS review. I'm sad now that I didn't test the Face shooting game during the demonstration.
Old 2011-04-25, 15:13
Magic Ball Master

Confirmed:
New Nintendo System, successor to the Wii, will be shown at E3, released in 2012.

Unconfirmed:

There are no details so I'm not really blown away by anything.

Here are some rumors from IGN:
Quote:
Multiple sources tell IGN the console - dubbed Project Cafe - will be "significantly more powerful" than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and be backwards compatible with current Wii software. The console will also utilize a new, tablet-shaped controller. Sources say it will have a 6-inch touch screen display, dual analog sticks, and has the ability to stream content directly from the console.
Old 2011-04-25, 16:31
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
My reaction is pretty negative really;

a) too soon

b) that looks ugly...too ugly to be real.

c) "6 inch touchscreen controller with dual analogues and backwards compatible with Wii software" = utterly stupid and no way ergonomical. Too stupid too be real (I hope).

I love 4Swords and PacManVS, but honestly,the only reason to have a screen in a controller is to have secret information from other players...you dont need 6inchs for that! Besides, the added cost of the controller per player would be insane......you might as well buy and use a 3DS!

d) "stream content from a console"....so...umm...basicly a portable you cant take out your house then OK, you could have better graphics, big whoop. If I wanted that I could get a tablet/netbook PC and a subscription to onlive...at least I wouldnt need any other machine on at the same time.

I hope this is all rumours because it sounds both expensve and, frankly, not terribly usefull.

They really should just refine the current controller.
Give both parts analogue sticks, use motion tracking from a real camera rather then IR one, dump the sensor bar (increased cpu=image recognition from the controllers eye), give some better haptic feedback etc.
With the Sony Move being essentialy the same design Nintendo could easily make the "split" controller the defacto standard. Making a new...incompatible..."tablet" controller is nuts by comparision.
We need controllers that do more, not more controllers!

-sigh-
Sadly I think Nintendo is both brave enough to try radicaly new designs and at the same time stupid enough to think the current "hay cool" factor of tablets has lasting usefullness.
Old 2011-04-25, 19:39
LOLwut?

I'm with DarkFlamingo on this.

1) It's too soon to release a Wii successor. Unless they make a super-expensive console, I don't think the Wii-2 would be a lot better than the current 360s and PS3s. So, why anyone would want to buy a new system with yet-to-be-seen games when the current consoles are enjoying quite respectable sales and quite respectable sequels??

And, personally, I just bought my Wii system last february.

2) There's still potential for great Wii games. For example, the Wii RPG genre is gaining momentum. The Last Story, Xenoblade and probably Dragon's Quest X are (or were) on the way to get a western release. With those plans to release a new console next year, there are high chances we'll end up with just one of those titles translated.

3) I'm not going to comment on the controls until I see some official words on it.

4) I bought my Wii system last february. - At least I didn't buy the Wii Motion Plus thingy.

Old 2011-04-25, 19:54
Magic Ball Master

There's currently no great game even utilizing the Wii Motion Plus. Nintendo's problem isn't having not enough quality peripherals, but putting them to good use. This is too early, I agree, even though the last Wii game I got was Metroid Other M and I barely even played it ... didn't have the same appeal as Metroid Prime Trilogy, then my studies took over and I haven't touched it since Fall.

I'd have expected more out of the Wii. I hope that new thing is delayed.
Old 2011-04-25, 21:03
Classic

RGaspar - Actually, for you it would be quite good. Being a new Wii owner you still have quite a few great games to catch up on. If a new system came out there prices would crash and you could get them all cheap :P

That said, there is sill a few announced games like you mention. Pandoras Tower too.
---
Quote:
Metroid Other M and I barely even played it ... didn't have the same appeal as Metroid Prime Trilogy
Because it sucks :P
Trade it in and get Epic Kirby instead, or DKCRR or if you want a more actiony title I'm pretty sure Conduit 2 would beat OtherM (sure, its as chessy/cliche as hell, but Id rather have that the pretentiousness..)

I do think its a little unfair you said there was no great motion plus games, mind. Despite RedSteal2 being a huge disappointment, I think WSR should count as a great game. Might not be your thing, but its very well put together and...even ignoring the terrible filler stuff...theres actually a lot of content.

Of course though, 1 game after a years not enough. I suspect Nintendo thought third parties might be more keen on it then they were. (seeing as there was some moaning among themthat it was the hardwares fault for poor wiggle-based gameplay).
-sigh-
The real reason I suspect is that coding games for completely analogue human motions is hard. Far easier to gesture map to preset animations.
Old 2011-04-25, 21:08
Magic Ball Master

I played Sports resort for the entire summer where it was the only worthwile game on the Wii, and I enjoyed it. But I never looked back since I got Prime Trilogy. It just doesn't last.
Old 2011-04-25, 21:40
Polly parrot

The thing on the picture does look weird... Nintendo isn't the kind of company which writes its company name on giant letters...
Old 2011-04-25, 22:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
The thing on the picture does look weird... Nintendo isn't the kind of company which writes its company name on giant letters...
What?
Spoiler:
Old 2011-04-25, 22:26
Classic

A summer is a pretty good length for a game though :P
Plus it kinda lasts as long as you feel the challange....its certainly bloody hard getting those hidden baloons on archury. Its one of the games you play for as long as it interests you...I dought many people actualy got all the stuff completed. I finished the flying bit and the swordfighting but none of the rest 100%. (even the stuff I enjoyed). So I think there was decent amount of content.
I just wished effort from, say cycleing and cannoing went into a more extensive Fly mode.

Certainly the best value thing on the Wii is Prime Trillogy though, 100hours+ by itself.
Old 2011-04-27, 13:58
Magic Ball Master

I think that's a confirmation considering this is of a different color.
Old 2011-04-27, 16:56
Classic

At least the logo is a decent size on that one :P
Old 2011-04-27, 21:40
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
What?
Spoiler:
' I guess I'm too young
Old 2011-04-28, 01:45
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
' I guess I'm too young
Well I got mine in 2007.
Old 2011-04-28, 22:00
Polly parrot

Yes, but I meant, you must be older than me (born before 1991)
Old 2011-04-29, 20:16
Magic Ball Master

I don't see it. You can have old consoles without growing up with them at all.
Old 2011-04-29, 22:28
Classic

Yeah, Ive got a NES and SNES. Kinda redundant now with VCs and emulators, but a decade a go having an old console gave a heck of a lot of cheap fun.
Old 2011-05-27, 22:23
Classic

Pretty amusing idea;
http://kotaku.com/5806152/only-one-m...zelda-timeline

Doc explains the Zelda timeline.
Old 2011-05-27, 23:17
Magic Ball Master

That was epic.
Old 2011-06-07, 12:39
Classic

3DS update;

- Browser is very fast, but also very inferiour to Opera Wii (bad standards support, no youtube/blip.tv/ no GWT based websites work....)
- The free Excitabike is nice, think its a reimplementation rather then emulation judgeing by the lower interface. Need to see other 3d-erised games to make sure though. Might just be a smart filter.
- 3D Video's you can watch of games like Ocarina3D and DeadAndAlive - but stupidly the screenshots are 2D.
- Free pokemon AR thingy I havnt played with yet.
- Shop seems region based, forces you into your local language regardless of system settings. (or maybe I just missed a screen...)
- GB game emulation is really nicely done, if pricey. (4 euros for mario land).

Nintendo E3 conferance in a few hours.
We will see if this new console is as stupid as the rumours sound....

Tags
consoles, games, nintendo ds, videogames