Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2013-05-23, 00:33
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Oh I do use Vista I can never find my save games in the SAVE folder though but they load fine within the game itself lol. They're just not in the folder in the LBA2 index
It's because when you don't run as admin, the game sees the same virtual program files directory all the time -- it doesn't get discarded after you close the game. However, if you start running as admin (I recommend to set the .exe of DosBox to always run as admin), you won't see the saved games because the game'll start to see the actual program files directory and the saves are in the virtual one. So you need to find the virtual directory and manually move your saves to the actual one in that case.
Old 2013-05-23, 00:36
New efforts! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
It's because when you don't run as admin, the game sees the same virtual program files directory all the time -- it doesn't get discarded after you close the game. However, if you start running as admin (I recommend to set the .exe of DosBox to always run as admin), you won't see the saved games because the game'll start to see the actual program files directory and the saves are in the virtual one. So you need to find the virtual directory and manually move your saves to the actual one in that case.
Yeah, that was scary the first time it happened to me. All the savegames lost...

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-05-23, 00:40
<3 MP

But I do run as Admin wonder why it happens then. I guess its not a big deal since they do technically save but still, weird that I have that issue.
Old 2013-05-23, 00:46

Quote:
But I do run as Admin wonder why it happens then. I guess its not a big deal since they do technically save but still, weird that I have that issue.
Strange, is the .exe of DosBox set to run as admin, dou you use the shortcut and click "run as admin" or is LBA2.exe set to run as admin? Setting LBA2.EXE is useless in case of using DosBox. It's also possible that you're not looking in the correct place. The path of the GOG version's game directory begins with "Program Files\GOG.com" or "Program Files (x86)\GOG.com".
Old 2013-05-23, 00:54
<3 MP

Tbh I have no idea I know after the game was installed and the launch button of Twinsan and Zoe with the Shuttles shows up, I right clicked on it and pressed run as admin. Cause when I just double clicked the icon before selecting, run as admin, it wouldn't start the game.

So I guess I run as admin from the shortcut.
Old 2013-05-23, 01:13

Hm... The correct methods to run as admin are:
1. ALWAYS right click the shortcut and select "Run as administrator" when starting the game, and wait. No double-click, no select+Enter, nothing. This is not recommended because it's easy to forget right-clicking every time.
2. Doing this only ONCE: right-click the shortcut, or the .exe of the DosBox used by the game (found in the game dir), select Properties and click the Compatibility tab, then do one of the following:
- check "Run This Program As An Administrator" and click OK.
- click the "Change Setting For All Users" button. A new dialog box will appear. Check "Run This Program As An Administrator" there, and click OK twice. This is the recommended method because the "always run as admin" setting will be valid for all users AND all shortcuts this way.

Last edited by Renesans; 2013-05-23 at 01:21.
Old 2013-05-23, 01:23
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
MSS32.DLL is the library of the Miles Sound System which is the sound interface LBA 2 uses. The GoG version should be run via DOSBox in which case MSS32.DLL file isn't run at all. For the Windows version, just replace the file with original one from the game's CD.
Old 2013-05-23, 01:35
<3 MP

Quote:
Hm... The correct methods to run as admin are:
1. ALWAYS right click the shortcut and select "Run as administrator" when starting the game, and wait. No double-click, no select+Enter, nothing. This is not recommended because it's easy to forget right-clicking every time.
2. Doing this only ONCE: right-click the shortcut, or the .exe of the DosBox used by the game (found in the game dir), select Properties and click the Compatibility tab, then do one of the following:
- check "Run This Program As An Administrator" and click OK.
- click the "Change Setting For All Users" button. A new dialog box will appear. Check "Run This Program As An Administrator" there, and click OK twice. This is the recommended method because the "always run as admin" setting will be valid for all users AND all shortcuts this way.
Ok so I set it as Admin from the properties/compatibility tab and started the game. All my old save games are gone now (which is no big deal. I guess was supposed to happen since they're not supposed to save in the virtual memory now.) So I started a new game and saved it. Then I went to the LBA2 directory to see if it was there and its still not. It has "SHOOT" "CURRENT.LBA" AND "S358.LBA" but not the name of my save game
Old 2013-05-23, 01:44

Quote:
Ok so I set it as Admin from the properties/compatibility tab and started the game. All my old save games are gone now (which is no big deal. I guess was supposed to happen since they're not supposed to save in the virtual memory now.) So I started a new game and saved it. Then I went to the LBA2 directory to see if it was there and its still not. It has "SHOOT" "CURRENT.LBA" AND "S358.LBA" but not the name of my save game
S358.LBA is the new saved game. The DosBox version won't give the .lba file the same name as the name of the saved game. It's because DOS file names are 8.3 (8 characters for name, 3 characters for extension) and a longer name wouldn't fit that.

Your old saved games are still on your hard drive a they will be until you reinstall your OS using a clean install or completely delete your user profile. Do you want them back? It's really not hard to find them.
Old 2013-05-23, 01:49
<3 MP

Quote:
S358.LBA is the new saved game. The DosBox version won't give the .lba file the same name as the name of the saved game. It's because DOS file names are 8.3 (8 characters for name, 3 characters for extension) and a longer name wouldn't fit that.

Your old saved games are still on your hard drive a they will be until you reinstall your OS using a clean install or completely delete your user profile. Do you want them back? It's really not hard to find them.
Oh ok I wasn't aware it saved under a different name.

And no, its ok. I don't really mind that they're gone. Most of them was just me messing around

Thanks so much for the help Renesans.
Old 2013-05-23, 01:56

Quote:
Oh ok I wasn't aware it saved under a different name.

And no, its ok. I don't really mind that they're gone. Most of them was just me messing around

Thanks so much for the help Renesans.
I don't know if it was really helpful since now you don't have access to your old saved games. Anyway, try doing a search for *.lba on the partition where Windows is installed (typically C: ) and copy everything found and ends with .lba to the Save directory.

EDIT:
That has to be done with care if you have LBA1 installed too because LBA1 saved game files also end with .lba. So always look where you're copying from.
Old 2013-05-23, 02:16
<3 MP

Well I found them. But when I click on one of the save games it asks me what program I want to use to open it. I browsed and selected LBA2 (I don't know if that was right). So after it tries opening in DosBox it doesn't start the game. Instead, it opens DosBox and does this.

Am I supposed to instead, drag/drop the save game over to the LBA save game folder?

Last edited by Zee; 2013-05-23 at 02:36.
Old 2013-05-23, 02:23

Quote:
But when I click on one of the save games it asks me what program I want to use to open it. I browsed and selected LBA2 (I don't know if that was right).
No.
Quote:
Am I supposed to instead, drag/drop the save game over to the LBA save game folder?
Yes.
Old 2013-05-23, 02:36
<3 MP

I'm not very tech savvy lol. That's easy enough
Old 2013-05-23, 02:42

Quote:
No.

Yes.
You monster!

Take a look at the blog!

Old 2013-05-23, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necdilzor View Post
You monster!
I was too tired. It was 2 am here.
Old 2013-05-23, 13:53
LBA2 Maestro

Quote:
Oh I do use Vista
Why?? Vista is horrible!
Old 2013-05-23, 19:58
<3 MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDemolition View Post
Why?? Vista is horrible!
I got the computer almost brand new for free. But its OS just happened to be Vista
Old 2013-05-24, 01:47

Quote:
I got the computer almost brand new for free. But its OS just happened to be Vista
You payed the ultimate price!

Take a look at the blog!

Old 2013-05-24, 05:01
<3 MP

Quote:
You payed the ultimate price!
Cause it was free?
Or cause it has Vista?
Old 2013-05-24, 19:18

Take it however you want, it's always better to look at the positive side

Take a look at the blog!

Old 2013-06-04, 13:46
Polly parrot

Quote:
(s)he
Necdilzor is a (s)he ??????!!!!!!!
Old 2013-06-04, 15:12

Calm down xD

I'm male and Renesans was talking about Dippindots, he didn't assume that Dippindots is male or female in case that wasn't the case.
(Probably male by the pictures at the "How do you look like?" thread.)

Take a look at the blog!

Old 2013-06-04, 15:14
Panta rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Necdilzor is a (s)he ??????!!!!!!!
Don't get too excited man
Old 2013-06-04, 16:00

Quote:
Calm down xD

I'm male and Renesans was talking about Dippindots, he didn't assume that Dippindots is male or female in case that wasn't the case.
(Probably male by the pictures at the "How do you look like?" thread.)
Correct, I was talking about Dippindots and I hadn't seen the pictures when I wrote that post.

Tags
gog.com, lba2, mss32.dll, _ail_init_sample@4