Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

View Poll Results: Are you going to Insta-buy it?
Yes 16 59.26%
Yes 6 22.22%
I don't have an Android or iOS device 4 14.81%
You should buy one then 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-03-19, 21:59
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNgEDamN View Post
Its not really a surprise if they tell us its gonna be a surprise now is it? xD
They just ruined the surprise

OR NOT?! Depends on what it is :3
Old 2014-03-20, 04:08
LOLwut?

Third option for me

I don't own any fancy android phone. (even when I use a Samsung phone, but it's so old, it's a pre-android operating system)

A shame, because this version is looking like the best one yet. One of the worst aspects of the original LBA was the controls (I played it for the first time in 2006).

Old 2014-03-20, 07:39
Magic Level: Red Ball

7 days
Old 2014-03-20, 15:38
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
I won't be buying this version as I played this game a million times already so I don't really see the point.
Old 2014-03-20, 16:40
Polly parrot

So, you're sure LBA3 will never see the daylight, right ?
Old 2014-03-20, 17:11
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
So, you're sure LBA3 will never see the daylight, right ?
I'm not at all sure of that.
And if there ever is a kickstarter for lba3 i would gladly donate for that, but I'm not going to buy a game I already bought 3 times (two CDs which eventually got lost/scratched and once online) just to show support or whatever. And like I said, I've played the game a ton of times, I know it backwards by now, as I imagine is the case with most of the people here, which is why I don't really get the excitement about the re-release.
Old 2014-03-20, 17:16
Magic Level: Green Ball

Like Frederick have said about this re-release is to figure out how many potential buyers there are, and if there is enough a re-release of LBA 2 and even the creation of LBA 3 could be made.

Still, I understand what you are saying. For me really it will depend actually on the price of the app.

If it was to be released for steam however I would have bought it for any price :P
Old 2014-03-20, 19:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
If it was to be released for steam however I would have bought it for any price
Whats wrong with GoG
Old 2014-03-20, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Whats wrong with GoG
This^

Tbh I'm also unsure about LBA3, and if I could choose between LBA3 and LBA1/2 HD, I choose HD all day
Old 2014-03-20, 19:52

Quote:
Whats wrong with GoG
I guess there is nothing wrong with GOG, but if I buy it through GOG that will be another website for me to have games on. I like having all my games on one place.
Don't get me wrong as I actually LOVE what GOG is doing, releasing old games and without DRM is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinnie View Post
Tbh I'm also unsure about LBA3, and if I could choose between LBA3 and LBA1/2 HD, I choose HD all day
I choose LBA 3 if they can actually get ahold of plenty of money to build up a team and create a really good game, I don't want to see a buggy game after having to wait for such a long time.

HD versions of both those games would have been cool but maybe too much work for something that we have already played so much? (I mean story-wise)
Old 2014-03-20, 21:13
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Like Frederick have said about this re-release is to figure out how many potential buyers there are, and if there is enough a re-release of LBA 2 and even the creation of LBA 3 could be made.
Wait, what? He actually said that?
If he wants to get a feel of the market, he can start a kickstarter and see how much he can raise. He doesn't need to make his fans pay for the same game again to give them hope that at some point in the future, he'll take their money again for the game they actually want.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2014-03-20, 22:24
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Whats wrong with GoG
Its not steam.

Quote:
I guess there is nothing wrong with GOG, but if I buy it through GOG that will be another website for me to have games on. I like having all my games on one place.
Don't get me wrong as I actually LOVE what GOG is doing, releasing old games and without DRM is awesome.
^This... I can't improve what he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. A. T. View Post
7 days
You are probably the one who is most excited about it, aren't you?
Old 2014-03-20, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
Yes he said it in this video interview on this thread: An interesting Interview with Frédérick Raynal

I'm sure he mentions it more than one time but at 10:14 into the interview he talks about it.
Old 2014-03-21, 01:11
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post
If he wants to get a feel of the market, he can start a kickstarter and see how much he can raise. He doesn't need to make his fans pay for the same game again to give them hope that at some point in the future, he'll take their money again for the game they actually want.
He needs to prove it to publishers, not to us or himself.

Besides, its unlikely you could kickstarter the $10million or so LBA3 would take to make.
And (imho) half-and-half solutions involving a kickstarter and a publisher are a bad idea.
Old 2014-03-21, 01:56
Party animal

He doesn't need to start a kickstarter for 10 million dollars, if he starts one for a sum that's much smaller than that but still very significant (in kickstarter standards) then that's all the proof the publishers will ever need that people want lba 3.

This way he achieves the same goal as with the current plan (proving to publishers that there's a market for lba3) plus he has a considerable sum to start him off. there's no drawback here as far as i can see.
Old 2014-03-21, 06:56
Magic Level: Red Ball

6 days left
Old 2014-03-21, 15:07
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
He doesn't need to start a kickstarter for 10 million dollars, if he starts one for a sum that's much smaller than that but still very significant (in kickstarter standards) then that's all the proof the publishers will ever need that people want lba 3.

This way he achieves the same goal as with the current plan (proving to publishers that there's a market for lba3) plus he has a considerable sum to start him off. there's no drawback here as far as i can see.
Well, the thing is, they want to get a feel of how many NEW players they could hope for. A kickstarter would only appeal to people like us who already know and actually played through the original games.
Old 2014-03-21, 17:27
Classic

Quote:
And what will those kickstarter supporters be paying for?
What will he be offering to get this impressive amount if not a game which the kickstarter cant pay?

You cant go half-and-half easily, as I said; publishers arnt interest till demand is shown. Kickstarters arnt interested unless you guaranty to deliver a game (which, in fact, is a legal requirement of a kickstarter; if you take the money, you have to deliver the goods).

Its possible you might get extra money after raising an impressive kickstarter amount. But you need at least enough, in good faith, to pay for what your offering on the kickstarter itself.

The other possibility, of course, is a publisher might say "ok, if you raise X amount we will pay the other half". That would work, but you'd still be stuck with things like publisher DRM which is going to be unpopular with potential backers.
Old 2014-03-21, 17:50
Party animal

I don't get it, I looked through the games that were funded via kickstarter, and I haven't seen a single game that asked for more than 1.1 million dollars. Did all those games rely on additional sources for funding or is LBA 3 somehow more expensive than any game funded by kickstarter ever?
Old 2014-03-21, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
I don't get it, I looked through the games that were funded via kickstarter, and I haven't seen a single game that asked for more than 1.1 million dollars. Did all those games rely on additional sources for funding or is LBA 3 somehow more expensive than any game funded by kickstarter ever?
I'll take the game "Broken Age" as an example, it had a kickstarter goal of $400.000, but they got $3,336,371. They also gave out the ability to pre-purchased the game from their website after the kickstarter, they also partnered with humble bundle on numerous occasions to sell their games and have broken age as a bonus.

But still at the end of their development cycle they announced that their fundings were running out so they had to release half the game on steam so people could buy it there so they could get money to finish the other half of the game.

Now keep in mind this game is only 2D graphics, and fairly linear.
Imagine a game like LBA where you have an open-world and full 3D-graphics.

It will need a lot of money to be made, I would think ATLEAST $5 million. (and thats pushing it)
Old 2014-03-21, 19:22
Party animal

I'm not doubting that lba3 will take a lot of money to make, my question is, how did all the other games on kickstarter, who did manage to get released, do it with much less than $5 million?

On one hand, they can't ALL be cheaper to make than lba3, on the other, they managed to get made somehow, so how?
Old 2014-03-21, 20:14

I really think that, yes, that MOST games on kickstarter are cheaper to make than what LBA 3 will be.

I looked on kickstarter and mostly what I find is 2D games and boardgames, and when I find a game that actually look pretty expensive to make, it got a company with money already and only need a bit more to create that specific game, it got a online merchandise store, or if I take the game Star Citizen as an example, it got $2,134,374 pledged on kickstarter, and $40,000,000(!!!!) pledged on their own website, because they are selling in-game items such as spaceships and stuff.

I'm not an expert or anything, but if LBA 3 would have the mechanics and graphics that I see in my mind right now its gonna cost.
Old 2014-03-21, 21:47
ffffff

Quote:
I'm not an expert or anything,
oh ok then
[21:53] <OBattler> i just don´t believe in behaving like either an animal
[21:53] <OBattler> or like adolf hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Opinions are like testicles, everyone has theirs - Those are my opinions and I have no fear to show them to you.
Quote:
but that's what it is, the troll is a rapist
a soul rapist

- Link, 2013
*~ Anakin ~ Mia ~ Rex_Hollywood ~ Jesse ~ Jasiek ~ Kitarii ~ Twinsan ~ BFFs 4 lYfE ~*
Old 2014-03-21, 21:48
Party animal

what about wasteland 2, for example?
it doesn't seem particularly low budget to me.
sure, it's no gta V, but neither is lba 3 supposed to be afaik.

i don't know what fred has in mind tbh. if he's hoping for lba3 to rival stuff like bioshock infinite or far cry 3 in terms of production value, well, best of luck to him. as far as i'm concerned, if lba3 will look like jasiek's lba1 remake that's more than good enough for me since i'm mainly interested in a gaming experience similar to that of the previous lba titles.
Old 2014-03-21, 21:55
Idyllic + whimsical

Proving that are people willing to buy a PC/consoles game by selling a remake on a mobile platform is silly if you ask me.
Those are almost separate markets, mobile gamers are mostly casual or are looking for games with simple controls. Serious gamers would rather play the game on the PC.
They might be able to get the amount of sales they need to prove what they want, but statistically it means nothing.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)

Tags
android, ios, ipad, iphone, remake