Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2016-10-07, 06:58
Quetching a Mr.

Twinsun Rareware's Dinosaur Planet ( Cancelled Video Game )

If there is any other game that I can think of that was as magical as the LBA series in the late 90's, it would have to have been Rare's Dinosaur Planet for the Nintendo 64, which was announced to be released in the early 2000's. This, I believe, is as magical as any game will ever get close to the LBA series that is clearly not LBA. I mean, come on, seriously...

Unfortunately, ( I guess for many, but not so much for others ) Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Starfox, and all of those other franchises, was called by Rareware one day to come and see their game in Twycross Leicestershire, United Kingdom. When Miyamoto noticed the programming and style of the game, he figured that the main character, "Sabre", had just so happened to have a distinct / really close resemblance to that of Fox Mccloud from the Starfox franchise.

I don't know about you guys, ( or any of you for that matter ) wish that this game would have been released. Personally, I've had mixed feelings. I'm glad for what Starfox Adventures has turned out to be. But at the same time, 1 / 2 of the game changed due to Miyamoto's observation. I think the game would have been better off as it's own IP, that being, "Dinosuar Planet". Additionally, Sabre and many other content was completely scrapped from the game - it is literally Dinosaur Planet with the Starfox brand slapped right on top of it.

Of course, I was too young at the time, nor did I even know it existed, but looking at it nowadays, I felt it would have been cool to be in the E3 Space World in 2000 to be able to see actual footage of the 3 / 4 finished game. Where I am living now is a quarter's day drive from here to Los Angeles where people over a decade ago played this demo. Although this was a demo all in itself, it would have been cool to actually try it out on the legit hardware. I just hope and pray today that someone, somewhere... Who knows where in the world, will be able to find / use a development cartridge from the creators at Rare, and use this compact disk on a N64 Disk Drive for extraction of all files on the disk's motherboard. Then, if someone actually cared enough, a rom could be posted on the internet, and then everyone would have access to it. I WANT THIS SO BADLY. But, we all know me whining isn't going to help. I actually started programming a game in Unity a few months ago because I was sick of waiting for people to do anything.

Here's a teaser sequence of screenshots: ( Sorry for no video - I don't have a good camera right now )

I've been listening to the OST on YouTube, which may sound strange to some of you because the game never got released. According to fans on the "CuttingRoomFloor" website, the music was leaked from hackers on the original Starfox Adventures disk for the Gamecube. If any of you want, the music can be easily listened too under RedFoxKett on YT, he's got 92 soundtracks to listen to. I love track 73 because it's got ocean waves - I don't know why. Although the music tracks use a modified sound font from the game's extracted instrument files, they are as close as we are ever going to get to hearing the final stages of those tracks.

Now, enough said from me. What do you guys believe? Is there anything that's as magical as LBA? Anything close? I know that there's a thread similar on the magical ambience / atmosphere of LBA, but what about Dinosaur Planet? Is it worth it to any of you guys? Am I being overdramatic?

From what I know, people in the late 90's exploded in excitement when they got to see those magazine covers with the development stages of Rare's work on the game. The game was huge for the time - there was nothing else like it. Then once people noticed Starfox Adventures, there was so much mixed criticism and reception. Either you love or hate the game, there is not much in between. But, I want to know about you guys now.
Old 2016-10-07, 15:40
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Rare for awhile often one-up'd Nintendo. Both technically and gameplay wise.
While I don't think they had the magic of LBA as such if you look at stuff like
Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing or Jet Force Gemini they had real personality to them. Combination of oddness, british humor and good character design I think.oh, and catchy theme tunes.

As mentioned in the other thread, Beyond Good and Evil is the closest to lbas magic for me. But I have much respect for Rare, at least of that era.
Microsoft doesn't get all the blame for messing them up, mind, they were leaking staff for a few years before the buy out. Aside from the Stamper brothers (CEOs) its probably mostly different people altogether.
Old 2016-10-07, 17:43
Quetching a Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Rare for awhile often one-up'd Nintendo. Both technically and gameplay wise.
While I don't think they had the magic of LBA as such if you look at stuff like
Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing or Jet Force Gemini they had real personality to them. Combination of oddness, british humor and good character design I think.oh, and catchy theme tunes.

As mentioned in the other thread, Beyond Good and Evil is the closest to lbas magic for me. But I have much respect for Rare, at least of that era.
Microsoft doesn't get all the blame for messing them up, mind, they were leaking staff for a few years before the buy out. Aside from the Stamper brothers (CEOs) its probably mostly different people altogether.
True, true... Some of the stuff you mentioned I didn't even think about when posting this thread topic. Although maybe Rare's other games aren't magical, I certainly think Dinosaur Planet is. Think about it, there's so much abnormal ambience in the game that it really brings out that mysterious mood.

I guess not everyone thinks they are hurting others - but helping them for that matter. This is just one of those once in a life time instances where I had wished that Rare had actually released the game and that Miyamoto had never seen the game until it was on store shelves. But then he wouldn't have been doing his job.

Thanks for that mentioning, Darkflame.
Old 2016-10-14, 03:14
Quetching a Mr.

http://forum.expertexpert.com/viewto...ad95defe7d3e89

I came across this earlier at work today, and was unsure of what this download may actually be - whether it truly is a DP download, or whether rather it holds malicious malware. It claims its a, "Dinosaur Planet N64 Rom Free Download", but that may very well be wrong. It seems like there are many websites, "posting free roms of DP" all over the net, and it is really bothering me up to this point. I want that rom so badly, and anyone doing this to hurt someone else is evil. There are so many people out there who'd love to play what the game was going to become.

After some further investigation on the whole DP investigation, I've learned that the game was actually completely finished, and was going to be released - until Miyamoto saw what it was, as I clearly stated before.

Does anyone know if this download contains viruses? I don't want to touch it unless it is what it is. Forgive me for being, "stupid" in this regard, but I want to play this situation safely. People have been saying that this download was... helpful? I'm not sure what that means in that sense, but if anyone could get some back up here, that'd be great. I want your guys input on this information.

The information linked only happened a month ago, and the comments on the link have happened within the past week - so this seems really suspicious to me. Furthermore, I contacted one of my high school teachers from earlier this year before I graduated, and he said that he had a friend with a N64 collection of games, so I'm waiting for his e-mail response back in hopes of seeing if his friend has a blue magnetic disk with information to extract and hopefully leak on the internet if possible.
Old 2016-10-14, 03:22
Quetching a Mr.

More information yet again, ( sorry, I know I do this too often ) there's a user on YouTube who's named, "MetalJesusRocks" and he just so happened to receive one of those rare N64DDs in English - it's a retail version. These retail N64DDs are extremely hard to come by. MJS - He lives in Seattle Washington of the US, so if anyone has any blue carts with information, I strongly reckon and recommend that any of you ship your disks to him, and hopefully he can ship them back after extracting data. He seems to be a really cool guy.

Tags
dinosaur, nintendo, planet, rare, shigeru