Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2004-04-06, 11:51
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
I never did understand why people liked The Italian Job so damn much.
It was quite boring except for the beginning.

Also, Ocean's Eleven SUCKED very very much.
Completely boring pointless movie, in which you wait for the good part to come....and it doesn't.
Old 2004-04-06, 12:31
The Asian

Send a message via ICQ to Blissful Send a message via AIM to Blissful
I never saw Ocean's Eleven.

Minako says:
I'm your bitch.
Old 2004-04-08, 00:21
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin
I never did understand why people liked The Italian Job so damn much.
It was quite boring except for the beginning.

Also, Ocean's Eleven SUCKED very very much.
Completely boring pointless movie, in which you wait for the good part to come....and it doesn't.
I saw the italian job yesterday! And hey, it sounds great!

The story was a bit linear especially the end. The most cool part is the car chase/run with the 3 buggies. I recommend.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2004-04-08, 01:23
PH34R MY L33T N3KKID|\|35

Send a message via MSN to thursday
I just saw The Toxic Avenger Part IV. Amazing. Before that i saw part II. I need I and III. Its a fuckin mind trip. Very funny though, if you can stand extremely tasteless jokes about crap. It's a troma film, if anyone's familiar with them. Genious. Next on my list:

The Toxic Avenger Part I
The Toxic Avenger Part III
Terror Firmer
Elephant

'Bleed with your heart, not with your mind' Coheed and Cambria - An End To a Beginning

'This is a 44. caliber love letter, straight from my heart' Alexisonfire - 44. Caliber Love Letter

Everyone should get The Ultimate Poem And Song Lyrics Thread back on it's feet again!!! Seriously!!!!!
Old 2004-04-08, 01:34
Magic Ball Master

Last movie I saw was Apocalypse Now, managed to rent a copy of the origonal version, and not the Redux version. I thought this version of the film was much better than the Redux version. It was a lot more compact, and flowed much better, with a lot of the unnecessary scenes cut out which disrupted the flow of the movie.

Anyway, brilliant film, almost like a piece of poetry at times. It's more about madness and losing sanity than it is about the Vietnam War. As the crew go further down the river, the scenrio becomes more detatched from reality, as it slowly shows their descent into Hell. I recommend this, but try and get the origonal version, and not the Redux version.

There are quite a lot of movies I want to see at the moment... most of which I'll probably rent sooner or later. I want to see Spirited Away, Memento and Lost In Translation. I'm sure there's probably one or two I've forgotten in there. Oh, and I must remember to buy The Usual Suspects too. Love that film.

On a side note; what's with the new fucked up smilies? They're bleedin' awful...

Last edited by Snapman; 2004-04-08 at 01:39.
Old 2004-04-08, 02:07
Magic Ball Master

Apocalypse Now... I saw the redux version which was indeed very long. I might have liked it more if I would have seen the short version.
I heard that last year they dared showing it on tv in Vietnam for the first time. They stopped broadcasting it in less than half an hour though, there were just too many Vietnamese people who get mowed down as the army invades. Even though the movie is not about that.

I love The Usual Suspects. Plot twists are often cheesy, expectable, dumb or totally random, but it was totally awesome in tUS. Just comes to mind that something similar happens in Reservoir Dogs, only less important.

(spoiler protection for people who haven't seen The Usual Suspect OR Reservoir Dogs)
Spoiler:
nobody suspects the weak/disabled guy: the man who got shot and is severly bleeding in Reservoir Dogs who turns out to be a cop after all, and the limping short guy in tUS who is the great mastermind.

And yes, the smilies are awful. So are the forum icons. Sure they look nice but the old ones were more compact and clear/simple.
Old 2004-04-08, 17:34
Idyllic + whimsical

I saw Resident Evil, and I think it's the best video game based movie I've seen.
Maybe it was because I was bored, but I really enjoyed it and I'm actually expecting Resident Evil Apocalypse.
Not a masterpiece, but good entertainment.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2004-04-08, 19:59
Radical Dreamer

last movie I saw was along came polly, but there's nothing notewordy about it (except for Jennifer Aniston, damn she rocks )

best movie I've seen in 2 weeks was Big Fish by Tim Burton... that man is a child and a genious director in one person! XD
Old 2004-04-12, 00:23
Magic Ball Master

The last film I saw was Dawn of the Dead (1979) today. Pretty much standard zombie fare for the first part, although some interesting things going on between the characters later on. The two SWAT guys were the only characters I really liked though. The bit with the bikers storming the mall was funny enough (especially with the ongoing fareground type music of the film). Seeing them get eaten afterwards wasn't as distressing as people probably found it at the time, really obvious plastic stuff. Still quite nasty though. The ending was a bit "huh?". I'm not a big fan of films like these but it was enjoyable enough. Also saw that Ali G film today, don't want to talk much about that. A bit crap to say the least.
Old 2004-04-12, 04:27
Magic Ball Master

ho'kay, this weekend's harvest.

The butterfly Effect
This is a good movie if you like the concept of "what if you could go back in time and fix that mistake you made?". The movie was dramatic and silly at the same time. Although the concept is nice, the story was pretty shallow and not that interesting.

Big Fish
Most of the movie takes place in a fairytale-like setting which is filmed pretty well (it's clean and perfect, yet disturbing because of that). It reminds of Forrest Gump in a lot of ways and is still so different. The movie feels over-dramatized and every metaphor has to be explicitly pointed out (big fish ).

Matchstick Men
Really liked it. Nicholas Cage plays his role of a frantic, disturbed and obsessed guy really well. The ticks he has when in conversation while hyperventilating are hilarious. "woo!" *eye twitch*. I didn't like the last half hour or so of the movie, I didn't need that big unrealistic plot twist. It completely breaks the character relation development which is carefully built up throughout the movie.

Nice coincidence how those last two movies appear to have the same actress for a major role (I didn't even recognise them as the same person, so they did a good job on hairstyle + make-up I guess )

Coming up some time soon I hope: The Last Samurai, 21 Grams, Dogville, Goodbye Lenin, movies from Takeshi Kitano, old classics.

Anyone happened to have seen the Trois Couleurs trilogy?
Old 2004-04-12, 08:32
the legend

I just saw wonder boys. i think thats the name of it, im too lazy to put it again to check it. comment about it.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2004-04-12, 11:42
The Asian

Send a message via ICQ to Blissful Send a message via AIM to Blissful
I made a mistake and watched One Hour Photo. It's a really good movie, the acting is good and everything. But it scared the shit out of me. The movie and Robin Williams were both extremely disturbing.

Minako says:
I'm your bitch.
Old 2004-04-12, 11:45
weee

Yeah, I'd give Big Fish 5 stars.
It was a real original fantasy movie not like all of those LotR etc. that are based on the same old D&D world, this is something refreshing and new, full with imagination.
Old 2004-04-12, 11:52
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish
...not like all of those LotR etc. that are based on the same old D&D world...
Excuse me but D&D is very much based on LotR. But don't go mentioning that to Christopher Tolkein. You don't want one of his lawsuits.
Old 2004-04-12, 11:55
weee

Well, you got my point
Old 2004-04-12, 11:56
Magic Ball Master

Yes, sorry I just suddenly felt pedantic.
Old 2004-04-12, 16:53
Radical Dreamer

21 Grams owns: it's a stupid shallow plot, but it has very great directing
Old 2004-04-13, 14:41
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Shaun of the Dead
Genra: RomZomCom
Seen: 9th April 2004

I was looking forward to this film for awhile and it certainly didnt dissapoint me.
As you can probably tell from the title its a parody of "Dawn of the Dead"...but whats important to know is its a parody of the original film and has been in development far longer then the recent remake.

Created more or less completely by the team responsible for the TV sit-com "SPACED" it maintains the same feel and quirky humour of the tv show.
Dont expect slap stick or cheap "Scary movie" style humour here, the humour here is more inteligent then that.
In fact its hard to catagorise the type of humour it use's..some jokes even come from use of camera angles or music.
It is certainly extreamly funny once you get "tuned" to its style.

The film also stands well as a horror movie.
Quite scary in places, building up a lots of tension before it really gets started.
In fact, this film is a real shot at hollywood horror
It shows how Zombies can be slow, stupid and scary.
It shows you dont need running jumping flying zombies to make a good film....and theres even a bit near the end that directly critise's 28 Days Later.

The film is pretty anti-hollywood all over, in fact.
It feels like a long TV program...but in a good way.
Theres no "gloss" or "glamour" in this film at all, when you see something its real. When you see a camera shot of a street, or a house...its just a normal house.
Not some carefully picked house special there for the look film.

Some people may not like this.
As i said, it makes it seem like a tv program.
Personaly, i love it allthough perhapes some might think it feels "cheap".

The casting of the film is also low-key.
Its like a whos-who of british sit-coms.
SPACED and BLACK BOOKS being the man ones, but also lesser sitcoms like "Hardware" as well.
Simon Pegg is excelent in the lead role. (he also co-wrote the film)

To determain if you will like this film i got a handy chart.

Chance you will like this film if you:

Like SPACED ~ 90%
Like Black Books ~ 70%
Like "British Humour" ~ 65%
Hate Hollywood ~ 80%
You are British ~ 60% (a few referances only british will get)
Like music-based jokes ~ 60%
Disliked 28 days later ~ 70%
You like action straight away ~ 25%
You like Hollywood's style ~ 10%

I would personaly recomend it to anyone old enough to see it.
I normaly think films are given too high an age rateing, however, this film has a VERY graphic bit in it, that will make most normal people feel quite sick.
Be warned.
It also has lots of swareing, but who cares about that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg‎
Views:	204
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	3373  

Last edited by Darkflame; 2004-04-13 at 15:05.
Old 2004-04-14, 22:42
Magic Level: Green Ball

I think the last one was the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. We decided that the 118 118 adverts beforehand were better than the film itself, it was that bad (shoddy plotline that was totally predictable).
Old 2004-04-14, 23:33
Idyllic + whimsical

Indeed, LXG was kind of blah.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2004-04-15, 12:28
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
I saw scooby doo 2 yesterday, its much better then the first one. it has some "Buffy the vampire slayer" moments (I wont spoil it for you) the acting is far better then the first film and some of the monsters are funny as well. the only bit that dissapointed me was the computer animation on some of the liquid and shiny surfaces/leather, scooby looked great
Old 2004-04-15, 19:26
the legend

Anyone saw a movie called "Taps" very cool, bout military students that take control of the school cos it was going to close or something i dont remember exactly, but it was very cool.

Old 2004-04-15, 20:17
Magic Ball Master

I finally was able to see Sliding Doors the night before last thanks to a surprise late showing on BBC1. While romantic comedies are not teh film type for me, the method of depicting two divulging storylines pretty much parallel to one another is a technique I have seen used on numerous equations (such as in Frasier and Coupling), so I thought it would be a good idea to catch the film that has been copied so often. The plot was pretty standard stuff but I did like it (I'm a bit too mushy when it comes to emotional stories, which are some of my favourites in Futurama), whereas the actual implementation of the divulging technqiue was done very well imo, especially in scenes where we see two characters joining their alternate counterparts in the same locations, unbeknownst to each other. As for the characters, Gywneth Paltrow does a fairly good job of acting out her role, although John Hannah is a definite favourite for me, I think that guy is great in most of his work. Overall the film was quite good, and gets extra kudos from myself for using direct references to Monty Python. Very British and very good. The ending was something I didn't agree with at the time but after a while accepting that the initially worse timeline was actually the best one is a nice way to turn the story on its head. Liked this quite a bit.
Old 2004-04-16, 04:29
Mageling at heart

i've just seen monster. wow. wooooow. charlize theron is absolutely amazing, and christina ricci is really good too. it's about a prostitute (theron) who meets this lesbian girl (ricci), whose family is extra-extra-catholic; theron is with a 'client' one night and gets raped and nearly murdered, but she shoots him; so theron and ricci run away together, and ricci is injured and can't work so theron has to support her by working as a prostitute again, and finds that she can't do it any more so she starts hooking men and mudering them one by one, all cos she's in love with ricci, then ricci finds out and blah blah blah...

it was all much more convincing when you watched it on screen ^_^

i've been wanting for ages for someone to do a film that explains that people don't just murder people, they have backstories etc etc and it's not always simply a choice that they have taken. ricci's ultra-right-wing catholic family is made to look ridiculous by saying that what they are both doing is their choice - the lesbianism, and theron's way of life (they say "even people who have had hard lives can choose to move towards the light") - when quite obviously it isn't a choice in either case... "you don't dial it up on no damn telephone" i think was a line. i quite like that line ^_^
- kirsty maccoll
Old 2004-04-17, 20:52
Bottoms Up!

Send a message via AIM to citadelle Send a message via MSN to citadelle Send a message via Yahoo to citadelle
Just rented The Birdcage
It's not as good as the original (La Cage aux Folles), but it's hilarious nonetheless, and Nathan Lane absolutely steals the show (he's a really excellent actor, both onstage [saw him in The Producers] and in film...he also does a lot of voice acting, remember Timon from the Lion King? that's him).

For those who don't know the story, it's about a gay nightclub owner, Armand, and his companion Albert (Albin in the original), who try to put up a false straight front so that their "son" (really the result of Armand's only heterosexual night) can introduce them to his fiance's very moralistic, right-wing parents. Very funny film, but see the original if you can. Robin Williams plays the nightclub owner, and Nathan Lane is priceless as his lover:

Tags
films, movies