Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2018-04-12, 18:47
the legend

Now that we're all adults here...

Tell us what do you do for a living?

And why did you choose this job?

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2018-04-13, 08:55
Let's make LBA 3 happen!

I have started my own animation studio with my partner because I love the creativity aspects of it. The animations of LBA 2 inspired me to do it as well.
Old 2018-04-14, 17:48
the legend

Thanks for sharing! That's honestly a pretty cool job. Is it traditional, 2D, 3D... what kind of animations?

I'll post about me soon.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2018-04-15, 12:04
Look beyond reality.

Game artist, currently working at a mid-size VR studio.
Company started out as console game studio, then went into mobile gaming, and has since dedicated itself doing VR projects for Oculus and a couple of other companies.

Reason for wanting to do game art is LBA obviously.

Last edited by Bot13; 2018-04-15 at 21:52.
Old 2018-04-15, 18:26
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Tell us what do you do for a living?

And why did you choose this job?
I'm a business intelligence consultant, kinda rolled into it. Microsoft trainer too. Started into IT and this was the most fun to do
Old 2018-04-16, 00:19
the legend

@Bot13: Working with games and related stuff... mate, ain't you living the dream, uh??
@Jesse: That was unexpected! ... thought you were working into something creative like the other fellows here, given you are a musician... see, that's why I made this thread, I like surprises!!

---

As for me I'm a graphic designer, post-production sound editor and cruise ship photographer, but the funny thing is none of these are actually what I really wanted to do, I just stumbled upon one thing after the other in a series of unchained events, enjoyed and... rolled into it (paraphrasing Jesse ).

And now I made this thread because I'm thinking of what's gonna come next. 'Cause I have no idea. And it gets me stumped, really.

Old 2018-04-16, 10:49
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
I am unfortunately unemployed and on welfare because I live in a country that is hardly the best place to seek employment in. All employers seem to want either students or immigrants because they cost less, so those like me who are citizens and seeking full-time employment have a hard time.
Old 2018-04-16, 19:12
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
I am unfortunately unemployed and on welfare because I live in a country that is hardly the best place to seek employment in. All employers seem to want either students or immigrants because they cost less, so those like me who are citizens and seeking full-time employment have a hard time.
But what kind of job you're looking for?

Old 2018-04-16, 21:49
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- SpaceGuitarist: Any kind of job, even cleaning the streets. But I get nothing.
Old 2018-04-16, 23:10
the legend

You live in Koper, Slovenia? hmm, I've been there (very, very shortly and barely explored but I've been there ). It looked like a nice place. I mean, the typical beautiful european village-esque type with lots of trees, old buildings and a quiet life.

Say, why don't you try jobs on cruise ships? those people are dying to hire anybody fresh and willing to work for their insane routines. I mean, it's tough but you also get to travel the world like I did, plus it's a job so at least you are not unemployed and you can save money to plan your life later.

Old 2018-04-16, 23:17
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
@Bot13: Working with games and related stuff... mate, ain't you living the dream, uh??
@Jesse: That was unexpected! ... thought you were working into something creative like the other fellows here, given you are a musician... see, that's why I made this thread, I like surprises!!

---

As for me I'm a graphic designer, post-production sound editor and cruise ship photographer, but the funny thing is none of these are actually what I really wanted to do, I just stumbled upon one thing after the other in a series of unchained events, enjoyed and... rolled into it (paraphrasing Jesse ).

And now I made this thread because I'm thinking of what's gonna come next. 'Cause I have no idea. And it gets me stumped, really.
Ah did I never mentioned it? I am a programmer, database programmer more or less. But I also advice companies in how to manage all their data and stuff.

Music is my hobby and life, but it's hard to make a living in it.
Old 2018-04-19, 01:03
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Ah did I never mentioned it? I am a programmer, database programmer more or less. But I also advice companies in how to manage all their data and stuff.

Music is my hobby and life, but it's hard to make a living in it.
Hmm hmm
How come MBN is so full of programmers?
Like almost everyone I know here is a programmer or worked with programming at some point.

Old 2018-04-19, 06:30
Quetching a Mr.

I usually write a novel about everything... But, I'm going to say this like a blunt pencil... Then I'll shut up.

I'm currently jobless. I was working in architecture over half a year ago until I got laid off. Now, I'm living off my money in my bank account - which should last awhile. Regardless, I hope to find a new job soon. Right now, I'm giving my constant, yet diligent effort into making a small ROM of LBA2 for the N64 - with heavy limitations of course (not the whole game - only portions). The C programming language is becoming less of a burden, which I never thought I'd be able to say. The N64 is a piece of crap to work with - it isn't easy. The whole learning curve of C has been a rather daunting task. Lastly, I'm continuing to progress in my artwork - and that has helped for low resolution graphics. Keep that in mind... Since I'm an artist, programming is only much more difficult.

@SpaceGuitarist: Maybe most people just like to be like Fred? He did program the majority of LBA.

How have you been?

Last edited by MrQuetch; 2018-04-19 at 06:36.
Old 2018-04-22, 16:46
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitar
Say, why don't you try jobs on cruise ships? those people are dying to hire anybody fresh and willing to work for their insane routines. I mean, it's tough but you also get to travel the world like I did, plus it's a job so at least you are not unemployed and you can save money to plan your life later.
But what kind of jobs would I do on cruise ships?
Old 2018-04-25, 12:08
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
But what kind of jobs would I do on cruise ships?
security? janitorial work? washing dishes?
sounds like you're in no position to be picky
Old 2018-04-25, 14:37
Welcome to Zirla!

- Reek: I'm not picky, more like, I seriously had no idea what kind of thing I was being suggested to do, hence my question.
I'm too much of a sissy to be a security guard, to be honest. The bad guys would easily use me as their doormat. I have no problem with janitorial work or washing dishes, though.
Old 2018-04-25, 20:35
the legend

Well, like reek pointed out, there's a variety of positions. It'd be a list too long for me to put here, you can easily research it yourself on the net. But it goes all the way from crude labour with no skills to glamorous titles earning lots doing nothing.

The most common and easy to get ones are that of a waiter or housekeeper. They are in most demand, and pay well, and basically anybody can do it you just need to speak english.

There are some IT positions too (all ships are connected and work integrated with various systems) but these positions are very disputed and require previous experience.

To be a security you just need to be smart, not necessarily strong, it's not like people go into actual punch fights there, and if they do you are not alone. You will mostly be on the xray machines checking people's luggage and control who goes on and off the boat, keeping an eye on the security cameras, these kind of stuff.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2018-04-25 at 20:44.
Old 2018-04-25, 20:48
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
How have you been?
It was very nice to hear your story, Quetch. So you're an architect? You have a degree on that and all? That's... unexpected as well, though you were a programmer. I don't know why would anyone want to play LBA on a N64 in 2018 but oh well...

I'm doing good, trying to stir things up here on the MBN, its too quiet and thats a waste of this cool community's potential.

Old 2018-04-25, 21:08
Party animal

btw battler aren't you good with languages? why not work as a freelance translator? that's what i'm doing atm
Old 2018-04-25, 23:54
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
btw battler aren't you good with languages? why not work as a freelance translator? that's what i'm doing atm
Nice. How many languages are you fluent in?

Old 2018-04-26, 10:30
Party animal

english and hebrew are the only languages i'm good enough in to translate to/from
Old 2018-04-29, 23:38
the legend

I see. Hebrew seems pretty complex to me more than the average western languages (not to mention it's own alphabet) so that's a lot of knowledge required already, is it not.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2018-04-30 at 01:01.
Old 2018-05-04, 10:53
Do the evolution.

Quote:
- Reek: I'm not picky, more like, I seriously had no idea what kind of thing I was being suggested to do, hence my question.
I'm too much of a sissy to be a security guard, to be honest. The bad guys would easily use me as their doormat. I have no problem with janitorial work or washing dishes, though.
Aren't you a skilled programmer? Coupled with the amount of languages you know you should find something in that area. Like, even if you don't have formal education and work experience there's still probably junior positions.

Hell, even if it's an unpaid internship it's still good for the resume.

All you'd need to apply is a list of programming languages you're familiar with, and code samples.

At the very least you could get a diverse small income from stuff like the Unity store, gumroad, Unreal asset store. Unity itself is free for personal use, so is Unreal , and you can sell tools you make in the store - I'm sure there are some unfilled niches.

Like, the other day I was looking for a good and fast tool that would work in run time and record 8k stereoscopic VR, but the available ones all make the framerate go to hell.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2018-05-04 at 15:47.
Old 2018-05-08, 11:26
Magic Ball Master

Yeah @Battle, I agree that you should be able to find development roles with the knowledge you have. You can use all your tools in LBA as a portfolio and use that to show your motivation and dedication during interview process.
If permanent roles are not possible, there should be plenty of contract roles as well.

As of me, I am currently a Lead Software Developer on an Integration Team in Dublin Ireland.
I've been the team lead for a small team of 6 members for quite some time, but it's time for me to move on and change roles and responsibilities.
Want to focus more on the technical side than leading the team. I feel I still need to grow more technically in order to better do non-technical or more business focus roles.

I still keep working on side projects like the LBA2remake https://lba2remake.net
when I get a chance.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2018-05-09, 12:52
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf View Post
As of me, I am currently a Lead Software Developer on an Integration Team in Dublin Ireland.
I've been the team lead for a small team of 6 members for quite some time, but it's time for me to move on and change roles and responsibilities.
Want to focus more on the technical side than leading the team. I feel I still need to grow more technically in order to better do non-technical or more business focus roles.
Nice to see another one here in the biz so to speak, albeit I'm not working as a developer but as a Senior Support Specialist for our Integration Teams' creations. I'm the one who keeps nagging about keeping the documentation straight and up-to-date.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s