Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-12-10, 17:02
weee

Ok that was a little weird. hmm
Old 2009-12-10, 17:39
Zebrazilla

It's different, certainly.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2009-12-10, 19:14
Look beyond reality.

I thought I'd really like it, but I just tried it and it's so boring. I don't have a clue what to do, and there are just a few people around. Who don't talk.
Old 2009-12-10, 20:01
Zebrazilla

It's definitely one of the harder games to get into, it takes a long time to get the hang over everything. This is why we have specific departments within factions that work specifically with teaching people how everything works, it's a lengthy process and few have the patience to stick around for too long. That being said, it's not for everyone.

I'd say give it another chance, if you feel up for it, when more players are on. Usually about now is when the americans get on. Try to get in contact with the training department of the faction you are in and demand them to teach you the workings of the game.

LBA Speedruns

Last edited by Homeless; 2009-12-10 at 20:10.
Old 2009-12-10, 20:07
Look beyond reality.

Well from what I've seen the game depends a great deal on roleplaying, and met about 20 people with only one saying "This war should stop." Die hard roleplaying right there...

Anyway they maybe should have implemented a bit more instant-action for newcomers, because I do believe the underlying economics, politics, etc are pretty deep.
Old 2009-12-10, 20:25
Zebrazilla

Most likely you met either a bunch of Brotherhood of the Shadows or Eurocore, who are currently in war. Though the war is just for show and fun at this point, as they are simply swapping colonies.

The game does rely heavily on roleplaying. It isn't really until reaching higher ranks within a faction that you really get to see much of that actual decision making, in terms of RP, and as such, the roleplaying within the lower ranks are very shallow and contains mostly of following orders blindly. But that also depends on which faction you choose, each faction is run differently. It's worth hopping around through different factions in the beginning if you don't like the way any certain faction is played and are run.

If you want instant-action, simply go to a market terminal and spend all your starting money on equipment and start shooting random people. This is heavily frowned upon though. It disrupts any sort of roleplay.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2009-12-10, 20:45
Do the evolution.

When it comes to games that have fractions and clans and shit like that, I can't understand why would anyone consider it fun, to get into som sort of a hierarchical structure like that.

I might be missing something here, but when did the dream to become the hero, was replaced with the dream to become a lowly grunt - a cog in some machine...

I can already picture it, Superman dreaming of being a lowly office worker, what would he give to just do meangless repetetive work all day long! Ah! The thrills!

There's already a game that lets you delve into politics and economy out there! It's called being a stock broker... and it makes you rich...! Granted you don't get to shoot people and be cannon fodder, but hey...
Old 2009-12-10, 20:54
Look beyond reality.

I hope that's just a troll because you know deep inside that MMO's are about climbing up to be better than other players and become the hero instead of starting like that.
But in case it isn't: try some more of those games. You're missing out.
Old 2009-12-10, 21:13
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
When it comes to games that have fractions and clans and shit like that, I can't understand why would anyone consider it fun, to get into som sort of a hierarchical structure like that.

I might be missing something here, but when did the dream to become the hero, was replaced with the dream to become a lowly grunt - a cog in some machine...

I can already picture it, Superman dreaming of being a lowly office worker, what would he give to just do meangless repetetive work all day long! Ah! The thrills!

There's already a game that lets you delve into politics and economy out there! It's called being a stock broker... and it makes you rich...! Granted you don't get to shoot people and be cannon fodder, but hey...
Granted, I could never see myself playing this game as a lower rank. Which is why I am the next highest rank and leading a department at the moment, and also residing within the one faction where ranks doesn't matter as much as in the others, where freedom is key.

Why do you take the viewpoint of the lowly grunt? That's what I'm wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
I hope that's just a troll because you know deep inside that MMO's are about climbing up to be better than other players and become the hero instead of starting like that.
What are you getting at?

LBA Speedruns
Old 2009-12-10, 21:18
weee

I still dream of the online videogame where you just live in a world with its own laws of physics and can do anything you damned well like. You set up a world, set up it's "laws of physics" parameters (such as elements of the world, gravity and stuff like that) and invite others in. You can invent within game a commander keen style pogo stick and jump through towns... And and all that in super realistic graphics.
Old 2009-12-10, 21:19
Do the evolution.

Quote:
What makes you think I didn't?? I wouldn't be having strong feelings about MMO's if I haven't AT LEAST tried them.

Running around doing menial tasks, "mob hunting" strolling around forrests killing boars untill you can finally start the real playing... that's plain boring, even moreso after joining some clans or guilds with people pretending there's some hierarchy, or playing soldiers in some other games. Why would anyone want to pretend they're in the army and call it fun...?? Games like Quake and it's Open Source Clones, or heck even Teewars are great fun, but without all that guild/clan crap and menial tasks - instant gratification!

The only MMORPG I'm waiting to try out is funcom's Secret World. Cause it seems it's going to be urban and quest based, and actually a game I can play and not feel like I'm attending a social event (which are obviously fine, but not when I want to play a game...!). We'll see how will it turn out.

Mostly, what pissess me off about MMO's and MMORPG's is the time you need to invest into the game untill you actually start doing anything that's remotely fun to do... And I can do menial tasks when playing a regular RPG game (which is probably one of my favourite genre's), but that's because there's a gripping story, and doing all that makes sense!

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-12-10 at 21:28.
Old 2009-12-10, 21:23
weee

I must say Jasiek got a point...
Old 2009-12-10, 21:25
Zebrazilla

I feel I must add that Face of Mankind contains no levels as such to speak of. You can do everything at the start, there are no limitations based on rank. As such, there is no grinding in the same way as in your standard MMO's. Rank is merely a way to tell what authority you have in factional matters. You can effectively play as an civilian, doing whatever you like, with no limitations. This is one of the reasons I love the game. Levels and limitations hinders role-paly and the experience overall.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2009-12-10, 21:29
Do the evolution.

Well...
then that makes it seem rather ok then!

Old 2009-12-10, 21:36
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Nothing wrong with ranks if they refereed to skill or achievements.
But they dont. In all MMO's Ive seen its just ultimately a measurement of how long you have spent playing.
You dont get more skillfull your charecter gets more skillfull, and thats where they fall down as games in my book.

If your character can potentially do everything at the start that seems like a better starting point for gameplay development.

The other thing that gets me is you for huge number of players, but theres little interesting things done from a social aspect. Its basically "get into groups and fight monsters while chatting". Not wrong in itself, but its certainly irritating this has become more or less the only thing done.
Experiments like "The Ship" seem more interesting to me.
Old 2009-12-10, 21:49
Zebrazilla

The game actually began throughout the first phases of closed beta, back in 2004, as a role-playing game without any factions at all. The idea was to have a sci-fi universe that was fully player-driven and based on heavy role-playing. They quickly found out however that the lack of purpose turned out to be too great and they added factions.

The factions they added were very varied though. You have the police, the military, the criminals, the activists and the corporations. Basically, with these factions, anyone could find something which fit them to some extent, with a purpose they felt comfortable with working towards.

That being said, the police and the military is heavily over-populated... As would be expected. In many ways, Face of Mankind is a good way to observe how societies are created and maintained. There's even a damned government in the game, a senate, political parties, etc.

I still think there should be a way to be fully civilian, but that doesn't seem very likely to ever happen.

It does have similarities with Neocron to some extent. I admit Face of Mankind is far from perfect, and this comes from a person who's spent a great deal of time in the closed beta witnessing the game change in many ways, but the underlying idea is very ambitious and personally I love it.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2009-12-10, 22:10
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Nothing wrong with ranks if they refereed to skill or achievements.
But they dont. In all MMO's Ive seen its just ultimately a measurement of how long you have spent playing.
You dont get more skillfull your charecter gets more skillfull, and thats where they fall down as games in my book.

If your character can potentially do everything at the start that seems like a better starting point for gameplay development.

The other thing that gets me is you for huge number of players, but theres little interesting things done from a social aspect. Its basically "get into groups and fight monsters while chatting". Not wrong in itself, but its certainly irritating this has become more or less the only thing done.
Experiments like "The Ship" seem more interesting to me.
Indeed. In pretty much all MMO's out there, levels are indicative pretty much only of how much time you've spent in-game. You could actually be a very, quite frankly, retarded person and have one of the highest levels, and thus, be one of the most "skilled" players. And what follows is, in the hierarchy of things, that this same retarded person would be considered to have authority somehow. Being able to decide in matters of a clan/guild he randomly created, or got into, or just random players in his general vicinit

Levels, ranks, or whatever you want to call it, should be solely based on the skilsl that you can effectively demonstrate to the environment around you.

If you are skilled at economics, you should be able to be very successful with it off the bat, without having to spend useless amounts of hours before being able to do things that people who "played long enough" can.

If you are skilled at combat, you'd just need a weapon and whatever protection you could have, and start fighting. If you're good enough, you could beat a player who's played the game for several years. And you'd beat him fairly. He'd have to increase his personal skill in order to beat you back.

If you are skilled at interacting with other people, maybe a master of deception or a skileld diplomat, you should have all the possibilities of showing this. One way of implementing this is having other players recognizing your personal skills in these things, and promote you upwards in the hierarchy, and thus giving them some "power". Illusory power, yes, but power nonetheless.

When it comes to pen-and-paper role-playing games, yes, the old system works. Levels, skills, all that crap, is better suited for mediums where it is not possible for you to actually role-play your character fully. Where you can't actually fully pretend to be this character. It might work in certain types of computer games, such as top-down role-playing games as Fallout and such. Even works well in single-player games. But when it comes to games with virtually real-time combat in a shared space, there really is no point in having your characters skill determined by some arbitrary level, or "skill", or whatever.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2009-12-10, 22:20
weee

To be honest I really wanted to get into this game, but I don't think it's for me, not right now anyway.

There are some things that seem too weird. For example: Politics? How does that even make sense in an online game? And how can it possibly be fun?

The entire idea of people being in a virtual world and playing roles of characters who really care about money and war problems and stuff like that seems weird too. I can't connect to that.
Old 2009-12-10, 22:34
Do the evolution.

So far I like the three "factions" in Secret World
I do hope however that they won't have a more rigid structure, just will define the type's of "missions" you get.

http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

Took the test on the site, ended up with "Dragon".
Old 2009-12-10, 22:48
Zebrazilla

Secret World is indeed a bit promising, I'd definitely try it out when it steps out of the shadows. I love the story behind it, especially the ARG.

I also ended up with "Dragon" last time I did the test on the site, and it does seem the most alluring to me out of the three "factions".

I'm not too sure I will like the quest-like nature of the game. I prefer completely player-driven games, but yeah, it might be entertaining for a while.

LBA Speedruns
Old 2009-12-11, 00:39
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
What makes you think I didn't?? I wouldn't be having strong feelings about MMO's if I haven't AT LEAST tried them.

Running around doing menial tasks, "mob hunting" strolling around forrests killing boars untill you can finally start the real playing... that's plain boring, even moreso after joining some clans or guilds with people pretending there's some hierarchy, or playing soldiers in some other games. Why would anyone want to pretend they're in the army and call it fun...?? Games like Quake and it's Open Source Clones, or heck even Teewars are great fun, but without all that guild/clan crap and menial tasks - instant gratification!

The only MMORPG I'm waiting to try out is funcom's Secret World. Cause it seems it's going to be urban and quest based, and actually a game I can play and not feel like I'm attending a social event (which are obviously fine, but not when I want to play a game...!). We'll see how will it turn out.

Mostly, what pissess me off about MMO's and MMORPG's is the time you need to invest into the game untill you actually start doing anything that's remotely fun to do... And I can do menial tasks when playing a regular RPG game (which is probably one of my favourite genre's), but that's because there's a gripping story, and doing all that makes sense!
It's interesting hearing your point of view, but since it's only your point of view and millions of people are playing MMORPGS and paying billions of dollars for it, I'd like to help you understand why this is. I've been at quite some readings about this from people that wrote a few books about it.

The publishers/investors put money in these things because it takes a long time to play through the whole game. In most MMORPGS there isn't even a defined end. These games are made to keep the gamers playing. They keep paying little amounts of money, and this tactic has got millions of Chinese people playing because they can spend those few bucks a month and still get a lot of gaming time.

Then there's the difference between male and female gamers. More than half the gamers is female (!). In short, they like to play games that are community based, with roleplaying. Male gamers like to have statistics, and unlike females do not like to have an argument - they shoot, someone dies, 1-0, the end. Both of these gameplay elements are addressed in MMORPGS.

Last but not least the way MMORPGS are set up, with long and bothersome battles at first, and more interesting gameplay at the end, is purely because the game designers have to keep a really big deal of gamers entertained. Only a few will actually press on to the end, and there's the cool stuff. There's the princess at the end of Mario, same principle. It's always visible, you know you will get there someday, and that's your motivation to keep playing.
Old 2009-12-11, 02:04
Do the evolution.

I don't think you understood my post...
All of that is pretty much obvious, I take issue with both the premise of the game, and the people playing it. My question is not "why is it popular" or "why are they playing it" but rather "why the hell are there so many people not quite right in their head, so that they need a substitute for a real life as entertainment".

I think whoever you where reading/listening to missed the point a bit there. Or didn't delve deep enough into the psychology. The problem with most academic papers these days is that they're not really revealing, and more often then not just outline the facts and polls everyone knows about, or sum up other peoples work... Makes me shiver I'm going to have to start writing a monster like that in some 6 months. I've been trying to avoid writing papers that way, but there slowly comes a time I won't be able to avoid it any more... and will have to choose the lazy way.

I don't think the demographics and the game mechanics derived from that give us any real knowledge about the source of the interest itself - they just help the creators in selling the product, and we're not after what makes it sell, but what makes the people buying it tick. I would say the community aspect is not the prime suspect here. The biggest allure of MMO's or games (or rather programs...) like SecondLife is that they let you reinvent yourself, the community is just the audience for the "new you". When WoW addons come out, the most buzz is not about the quests that could be done together (the community aspect), but usually about new races, classes, armour sets and other stuff that let's you present yourself in a different way. The community's function is so that you know that real people see the new you and all your stuff. The questing, the raids, that's just all so that you can get new items and walk around some town so that everyone sees you. Like going to the mall, or the church... It's a popular and universal mechanism, that I would say, has been masterfully used by the gaming industry when creating modern MMO's.

You can see this mechanism at work with "Non-Gear" based MMO's like the Age of Conan. The objects/"loot" you gather have only eye-candy value, so there is really no basis for showing off with it. And most people loose interest quickly.

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-12-11 at 05:39.
Old 2009-12-11, 13:45
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Second Life does have the advantage of being a actual creative medium though.
Its not just combinations of one companys work, you can upload your own part of the world etc.
Collaboratively building an online world has more appeal then just pretending to be someone else (in very shallow ways) and battleing.

If more MMO's actually let you play someone else it wouldn't be so bad, but honestly its just different methods to fight or do repetitive tasks. The different "you" is just about a different skill-set and look, not about a different personality.
I mean, I know there is rollplaying servers for some MMO's, but thats people making a game for themselves,rather then the game being based around it.
Old 2009-12-11, 15:54
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
I don't think you understood my post...
All of that is pretty much obvious, I take issue with both the premise of the game, and the people playing it. My question is not "why is it popular" or "why are they playing it" but rather "why the hell are there so many people not quite right in their head, so that they need a substitute for a real life as entertainment".

I think whoever you where reading/listening to missed the point a bit there. Or didn't delve deep enough into the psychology. -
This sounds really interesting Jan! Why don't you write a book about it, and I'll see you somewhere next year on a random Game Convention telling us how it all works. Be aware though - the usual speakers will be pissed for you finding out the truth that they're largely copying each other.
Old 2009-12-11, 15:57
Neko

Quote:
This sounds really interesting Jan! Why don't you write a book about it, and I'll see you somewhere next year on a random Game Convention telling us how it all works. Be aware though - the usual speakers will be pissed for you finding out the truth that they're largely copying each other.
Jan knows everything.

Really!
he does.

Tags
games, videogames