Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2015-12-31, 19:13
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Star Wars Episode VII

Comments? I thought it was MEGA!
Old 2015-12-31, 23:30
Neko

Hmm will reply later but a mixed bag!
Old 2016-01-01, 22:31
Neko

Spoiler:

Good: han solo still kickes ass
Finn and rey are cool and you connect with them.
Lots of respect for the interior and design, consistent with the first movies.

Bad:
The music. Unbelievable how a new star wars has no new epic music.
Another death star, really? The story lets the movie down. At this point i just disconnected.
Captain phasma.
Snooky, i mean snoke, is just silly.
The darth vader wannabe.

So overall.... Not so great.

Old 2016-01-02, 14:09
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Spoiler:

Good: han solo still kickes ass
Finn and rey are cool and you connect with them.
Lots of respect for the interior and design, consistent with the first movies.

Bad:
The music. Unbelievable how a new star wars has no new epic music.
Another death star, really? The story lets the movie down. At this point i just disconnected.
Captain phasma.
Snooky, i mean snoke, is just silly.
The darth vader wannabe.

So overall.... Not so great.
Spoiler:

Have to agree with you in some points, though I really liked the movie.
Music: I desperately waited for a new theme from Williams throughout the whole movie, and when I just thought one could come up...nope! another force theme It's still well constructed music as it doesn't stand in the way, but as you said: not "Star Wars-epic"

The death star wasn't so much what threw me off. I knew something like that had to come. What I didn't like was that they simply killed off the entire new galactic republic in an instant. It could have given some story opportunities aside the (repetitive) rebels against empire/first order. Hope that we see at least a glimpse of that in the future movies. (and yes I may be one of the few that actually liked the political aspects in the prequels)

Phasma...pretty much like Boba fett. Doesn't do much but probably will in the future.

Darth Vader wannabe: Yes that's pretty much what he is but I don't really mind. I think the uncontrollability really adds to his character and will give him space to develop in the coming movies. Right now I have no Idea if he's gonna be good or bad in the end which I really like.

Lastly I have to give it up to JJ for the amazing cinematography. You can argue that the vibe of the old star wars movies was always portrayed well but never has every single shot been so well composed. Several face-closeups and "natural shots" (those that mimic the natural field of view) bring a deeper connection to the story and characters. And especially the absence of many "overwhelming epic wide shots" which threw me off many times in the prequels.

So all in all I really liked it, though of course some things didn't go as planned. But what had me most is, that I didn't have a single moment to think: "Man is that character stupid" which is a rare thing in today's cinema. Way too many stories rely on dumb decisions for their story to happen or develop. Not Star Wars - thank God (or JJ for that matter).
Old 2016-01-03, 00:25
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoboe View Post
Spoiler:

Have to agree with you in some points, though I really liked the movie.
Music: I desperately waited for a new theme from Williams throughout the whole movie, and when I just thought one could come up...nope! another force theme It's still well constructed music as it doesn't stand in the way, but as you said: not "Star Wars-epic"

The death star wasn't so much what threw me off. I knew something like that had to come. What I didn't like was that they simply killed off the entire new galactic republic in an instant. It could have given some story opportunities aside the (repetitive) rebels against empire/first order. Hope that we see at least a glimpse of that in the future movies. (and yes I may be one of the few that actually liked the political aspects in the prequels)

Phasma...pretty much like Boba fett. Doesn't do much but probably will in the future.

Darth Vader wannabe: Yes that's pretty much what he is but I don't really mind. I think the uncontrollability really adds to his character and will give him space to develop in the coming movies. Right now I have no Idea if he's gonna be good or bad in the end which I really like.

Lastly I have to give it up to JJ for the amazing cinematography. You can argue that the vibe of the old star wars movies was always portrayed well but never has every single shot been so well composed. Several face-closeups and "natural shots" (those that mimic the natural field of view) bring a deeper connection to the story and characters. And especially the absence of many "overwhelming epic wide shots" which threw me off many times in the prequels.

So all in all I really liked it, though of course some things didn't go as planned. But what had me most is, that I didn't have a single moment to think: "Man is that character stupid" which is a rare thing in today's cinema. Way too many stories rely on dumb decisions for their story to happen or develop. Not Star Wars - thank God (or JJ for that matter).
Spoiler:
Why would the movie need another death star?
Why not at least keep it intact till the last movie? Give that base a chance.

Would have been much better if the big battle was between two fleets for instance.

Old 2016-01-03, 04:47
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Spoiler:
Why would the movie need another death star?
Why not at least keep it intact till the last movie? Give that base a chance.

Would have been much better if the big battle was between two fleets for instance.

Spoiler:
I meant that I already thought about a deathstar when I saw that thing on the poster
I agree it would have been nice to see it hold a bit longer, but after seeing what it's capable of, it had to go for me fast.

Don't really know if a fleet-battle would've done it for me
Old 2016-01-03, 13:03
Neko

Quote:
Spoiler:
I meant that I already thought about a deathstar when I saw that thing on the poster
I agree it would have been nice to see it hold a bit longer, but after seeing what it's capable of, it had to go for me fast.

Don't really know if a fleet-battle would've done it for me
Spoiler:
Why would you need another death star?

There was like zero tension, you knew it would have a weakspot.

Why no not do something original?
Or a death star that has no weakspots and must be destroyed otherwise?
Kinda ruined the movie that started promising :/
Old 2016-01-03, 14:14
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Spoiler:
Why would you need another death star?

There was like zero tension, you knew it would have a weakspot.

Why no not do something original?
Or a death star that has no weakspots and must be destroyed otherwise?
Kinda ruined the movie that started promising :/
Spoiler:
They didn't need one, I agree with you on that. I just wasn't surprised by it.
I would've also liked it better if they had just manipulated the weapon to miss it's target or something alike. That would pretty much render it useless anyway because the whole star was already consumed.

Anyway I hope Episode VIII stays "Deathstarless" .
Old 2016-01-04, 00:02
Neko

Hope so too! Also give the bad guys more charisma. They lacked quite a bit
Old 2016-01-04, 03:56
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Watched it tonight.
Good star wars movie overall.
The main characters are ok. Happy to see chewie again...
Han was ok, but, damn, not even one memorable line? That will the first star wars movie without any epic line by solo.
Kylo ren is meh. Ok, he's Unpredictable, but he also looks terribly weak. I didn't like how Poe challanges him at the start, or how difficultly he overpowers Finn.
Phasma... Wtf? I hope there's more for her in the next movies.
But the star wars feel is there. Better than episode 1 and 2, but not as good as 3 or 5. Way to go!
Old 2016-01-04, 15:08
Neko

2 was just as good...hmm dunno
Old 2016-01-11, 15:11
Zebrazilla

Spoiler:
I loved it. Went to see it twice with 10 days apart just to see if I still loved it. I loved it.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2016-01-12, 10:53
Polly parrot

I didn't expect much from it (I think Star Wars movies are really bad except from episode I and IV).
So I just went in the theater hoping to spend a bit of time well and seeing people hitting eachother with shining sticks. That's more or less what happened so I can't complain
The images were quite nice. The movie is just screaming "We have tons of money, so now our action sequences are not in space !"

(big spoilers in that one)
Spoiler:

Pros :
-I love Kylo Ren, the fact that he is dangerous, powerful and human at the same time is making him hardly readable and frightening !
-A truly beautiful sight.
-It's Star Wars and I'm a fan of lightsabers !
-I just loved Finn's acting ! I was afraid that he'd overact, which he kinda did, but he set that as his basic stance, and just slightly reacted to everything around him, for me it was just the amount needed

Cons :
-Not a fan of Han Solo and never was, didn't feel anything when he died
-Rey... I don't get the cult she has, she is just a horrible actor for me, who messed up a lot of scenes that would have been cool otherwise...
-Luke... Dammit, that hermit is too fat ! And he plays like a shoe ! (french expression) Seriously, 10 seconds with his face turned towards the camera, and I was like "You know what ? Turn back around, it was way better.

Many disliked the story and it was a bit unimaginative, but most Star Wars movies never had a decent story for me, I wasn't expecting much, I didn't get much. All fine

Spoiler:

Also, why is there a map leading to Luke Skywalker ? Who made that ??
One of my friends when coming out of the theater said "Why is the way to Luke already drawn on this map ? Can't they go there the way they want ?"
Old 2016-01-12, 13:04
Neko

you don't like han
Old 2016-01-13, 01:51
Polly parrot

I always saw the guy as a teenager trying to show off and failing everytime
I don't know, no deep emotions, nothing unexpected...
Old 2016-01-16, 20:38
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
finnally saw it, allthough my views arnt very original;'
Spoiler:

Positives;

+ characters/small scale interactions
+ relationship aspect and returning characters were well handled, I feared it would be too forced or chessy
+ some nice environments/settings
+ I liked Maz
+ I liked the dream/visions when she first touchs the lightsaber
+ I liked the force-frozen energy beam at the start. I have seen this done before in other sci-fis, but it was still cool.
+ Likewise the bloodbending.
+ Overall very enjoyable, despite the following;

Negatives
- Big threat indeed a retread. Worse, a retread of a retread.
- And not just the big threat, so much was just repeating scenes we have seen before.
- Really? The big bad hocks the projector up to make themselves look big. Inferiority complex much? :P
- Reys plot could have used more work in regards to her force awareness. She masters controll people far too easily.....yet she doesn't seem to feel anything when a whole solar-system of people get killed?
Imho, they should have made that the moment she realizes the extent she is linked into everything. Also, make her escape some other way earlier, and have her pulling the lightsaber towards her the first major use of her ability's. I think that progression would have worked better and would have been more of a impact.

- Directing; Lucas would have done a better job. *gasp* I know I said it. Abrams did nothing terrible, and certainly the writing and everything else was better then the prequels. But in terms of cinematography he is too quick. Especially near the start. You have wonderful landscapes - hold on them a bit! Not every cut has to be 2 seconds max! He has the action done great,but he needs to also lets us have some of the wonder!

Oh, and Andy Serkis did a great job with BB8 :P
Old 2016-01-16, 20:44
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Spoiler:
That would pretty much render it useless anyway because the whole star was already consumed.
Spoiler:

I assume the star only goes out for a period - because it fired once before and it wasn't implied or mentioned they moved to a new star.
Sure, it could have been a binary system....but then, it could have more then two as well.

Imho, it makes the most sense if its only taking the outer layer of the star, and it re ignites a little while later.
Old 2016-01-17, 02:08
Magic Ball Master

The movie is good for nostalgic but nothing more. The theme around is always the same lacking originality in the main story.

Although, I loved BB-8 and had to get one: https://www.instagram.com/p/BACXqwjiZCT/

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2016-01-18, 03:15
Polly parrot

What ? We can buy BB8s ??
Old 2016-01-18, 11:03
Magic Ball Master

You can!!! Mine is a sphero http://www.sphero.com/starwars

Old 2016-01-18, 13:04
Polly parrot

Oh wow
Pricey though...
Old 2016-01-18, 13:37
Magic Ball Master

Yeah, very. I prefer the sphero 2 thought.
The bb8 its funny to play but its very expencive for a toy that you may end up putting on a corner aftrr a while.

Old 2016-01-24, 14:46
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
The movie is almost a 1 to 1 remake of IV.
As far as originality and creativity go, this movie doesn't even rate as average.

That said, I liked the new characters, and as far as directing and cinematography go, it's a competent movie. I think they have what to work with plot-wise, so i'm optimistic regarding the next two movies.

Watching the movie a second time, i knew what to expect and it was easier for me to "go with it". I still thought it's a little dry, but it gets better as it goes, and i genuinely enjoyed the last 40 minutes or so.
Old 2016-01-24, 15:15
Neko

yeah the story let's the movie down a bit, shame. still great movie to watch
Old 2016-01-25, 00:18
Classic

Its the little things that made it watchable for me. Character, dialogue, etc.

Sort of the reverse of the prequels. I never minded the overall plots for those films mostly - but they were let down by the dialogue and character interactions.

Hopefully with everything stolen from earlier films in episode 7 they are forced to do more new stuff in 8 :P