Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2014-09-30, 23:22
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
[LBA Package Manager] Two questions...

I have two questions for Zink regarding the LBA Package Manager:

1. Is forking allowed? Because I notice you released the source code, and I was thinking of just porting to it anything that my LBA Resource Manager can do and LBA Package Manager can't, and then release my own fork (say, LBA Package Manager++ or something like that), but I need to know first what is your policy and terms on that.

The reason I want to do that is to that way use your program as the basis for what would become the successor to my LBA Resource Manager. That way I can then lay my old code, and with it VB 6 itself, finally to rest. I was thinking of doing my own C port but it would most likely take much more time.

2. Where can I get any Delphi version that is reasonably modern (say, Windows 7 era)? Because again for the above to come to fruition, I'd need a copy of Delphi too.
Old 2014-10-01, 02:30
Magic Level: Antimatter

Lazarus is a pascal IDE that can import delphi.
Old 2014-10-02, 00:14
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
1. Is forking allowed? Because I notice you released the source code
The source code ships with a copy of the GNU General Public License Version 2. You can fork it according to the terms of that license, most notably you have to release the source code of your fork under the GPL2 as well.
Old 2014-10-02, 00:27
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I used Lazarus myself ages ago, I quite like it.
The very old desktop version of www.fanficmaker.com was made using it in order to have dual compatibility windows/linux.
Old 2014-10-05, 10:25
Master of Degree

Sorry for the delay, I haven't checked this section for quite a while

Battler, yes, you can modify my source and release it (just change the name to avoid confuse, and include me as the original author), and mix parts of your code into your programs.

I don't know where you can get Delphi. It looks like Borland/Embarcadero is not interested in offering free versions for non-commercial use any more (and the version I have cannot be activated online any more, so I will have to switch to something different too). Lazarus seems to be a good option. It is now stable enough, but the floating windows interface (like Delphi 7) is not very comfortable for me. But I don't think there is another option really (apart from buying the commercial Delphi ).

All LBA technical information goes in here -> LBA File Information Project

LBA Prequel Demo has been released! See our blog
Old 2014-10-06, 15:37
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Zink: Sure, will do.

And as for Delphi, check PM, I think I found something.
Old 2014-10-07, 22:19
Magic Ball Master

I'm curious, which are the features?

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2014-10-07, 23:42
Welcome to Zirla!

Lazarus is not a solution at all... installing it on Windows now and it needs the QT library. I'm quite sure Embarcadero Delphi runs natively on Windows, rather than requiring an abstraction layer because it seems the Lazarus developers, like 95% of FOSS developers in general, seem to target Linux first. I don't see why I should use more CPU and memory than necessary for something that could have been done with less.
But, I'll give it a try and see. Also, I think Embarcadero Delphi can compile Win64 executables, while Lazarus can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xesf
I'm curious, which are the features?
What is this question about and who is it directed at?

If this is directed at me, and it's about what I'm trying to do - well, LBA Resource Manager has the ability to create new .HQR's, add items (even empty items and pointers), and has a built-in hex editor and hex view for items. It also has scripting support for automated .HQR processing.
I'm even thinking of creating a plugin system so anyone could extend the program's functionality by creating plugins that view items, edit items, add compression implementations (the implementations I use could then be rewritten as plugins), add script commands, etc.
Also, if it's possible with Lazarus or whatever I'll use - tabbed support for multiple .HQR's would be nice too.
Old 2014-10-11, 04:24
Magic Ball Master

Yes, I was curious to know the features because I didn't remember the differences in both applications.

As an idea, if you want to renovate your tools and get rid of VB, which is good, why don't you go into a more cross platform and easy solution?

C# is the tools programming language choice for some time now and I think it would be good going in that direction. Specially now that we can easily target different platforms and we have a huge C# community.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2014-10-11, 19:32
Welcome to Zirla!

- xesf: It would take me a lot of time to learn C#. And then again, why C#, and not, say, Java which is much more open than C#? And remember, I am using Adeline's original compression code compiled into a .DLL - not sure I can easily make that closs-platform.
Also, I'm quite sure something made in Delphi can run comfortably on Wine. So that satisfies the need for cross-platform compatibility.
And if I get Delphi 7 working, I could maintain compatibility with older operating systems too, therefore maintain an userbase in Japan too (we know LBA 1 was popular enough to be released on multiple platforms there, so it's an important market), where they don't upgrade their hardware as often, and where therefore, C# applications may not work as well.
Old 2014-10-11, 22:07
Magic Ball Master

Delphi 7 is old, you need new tools.
Why stick with old tools when you want to revise your entire tool set?

It's a good chance to learn C#, you don't have any rush since all your tools are available already, so you have time to port it wisely.
Reason to say C# it's because it's a more clean language and the tool set is better than what Java offers. Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio are excellent IDE applications you can work on, better than all the available Java ones.
And I don't think you will have issues porting the original algorithm.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Old 2014-10-11, 23:42
Welcome to Zirla!

- xesf: I don't like C# because it compiles to managed code, something which can't be said for Delphi which is based on Pascal.
And as I said, I'm already learning C and C++. The only reason I'm choosing to based the successor to LBA Resource Manager on Zink's program is so I don't need to rewrite everything from scratch. Everything else I'll be writing in C and/or C++.
And even when Delphi is regarded, I plan to write the code to be Delphi 7-compatible, but then provide both a Legacy Win32 version compiled under Delphi 7, as well as modern Win32 and Win64 versions compiled under modern Delphi.
Also, I tried modern Visual Studio and it's way too bloated. For C and C++, I tend to use OpenWatcom instead (nothing else can compile the Adeline Compression code anyway), and the modernness on that solely depends on what subset of the Win32 (or Win64) API I choose to use.

Also I can't port the original algorithm, because parts of it are written in 32-bit x86 assembly, so I have to use it as such. Sure I could come up with code in any language of equivalent functionality, but speed for one wouldn't be the same.

And again, I'm not going to alienate a big portion of the market just for sake of being "modern". To me, reaching out the most people of possible is much more important than going modern, and that's why I'm opting for C and C++, with which backwards compatibility depends solely on my code.
Old 2014-10-12, 00:02
Magic Ball Master

Keep in mind that with C# you can also target a wide vast of people, you can have it available for a lot of platforms now-a-days.

Anyway, since you don't want to write everything from scratch, then I will say stick with Delphi. At least you've got a lot of things done already and you just need to find the best way to add the new features.