Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2018-05-25, 01:09
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
MBN Top Posters

Ok, so I figured that since the MBN is dead for good, we can establish who the top posters of all time are, since those statistics will probably no longer change significantly. Thing is, the link to the top posters was removed years ago, but iirc the URL can still be used.

So, does anyone remember how to get to the top posters page?
Or is there a mod here with access to it?
Old 2018-05-25, 08:42
Quetching a Mr.

Hi there, Reek.

Remember what I said in the past? Well, I was young and naive; I have learned from my thoughts and actions. You can hate on me all you want, but I see you just like everyone else here - a good member of the MBN.

I can definitely say that I'm not a "top poster", and will most likely never be. I was too young (even younger) when this site first started, and I wonder what it would have been like if I were born earlier. If only I got to experience more of this. Regardless, I'm quite thrilled with the way my early childhood turned out. LBA2 was one of the first games that I really enjoyed; I sat and played it with my father on a daily basis. These are definitely memories that I will never forget. Did you know LBA2 was released on my birthday? That's insane - I think we were both meant to be.

I don't know where these posters are that you speak of, and even if you think the MBN may be dead... I've got something that I've been working on for a long time, and hopefully it will bring more people back to enjoy the MBN again. I wasn't going to say that part, but I figured I'd better share that information at least. Am I a bad person if I never got to know Darkflame well? Apparently, he was a great guy.

Overall, thanks for sharing.
Old 2018-05-26, 04:54
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
You can hate on me all you want, but (...)
Y'know, for starting a post with completely uncalled for comments like this is the very reason people get upset with you.

Anyway.

There isn't such a link but using the features in the advanced search of the members list you can figure out a way to find out.

So the top 3 posters are...

Darkflame (23,836)
Chaosfish (21,207)
Morshem (20,093)

Followed by...

Double-J
Atresica
Rex_Hollywood
Wacko

And who could've guessed?...

Reek

Not sure why you'd wanna know that, anyway, there it is.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2018-05-26, 12:41
Party animal

surprising stuff!

DF and CF come as no surprise, but i can't believe i have a lower post count than people who haven't been active for more than a decade (like morshem and atre, wacko). i guess people were super spammy back in the early days

edit:
5 years ago elliptic made a video about me having 9,000 posts. now i have 9430, a sad reflection of the times..

Last edited by Reek; 2018-05-26 at 12:49.
Old 2018-05-26, 13:11
Neko

Yeah i used to be a mod because i was the top 5 poster :')

So randomly chosen
Old 2018-05-27, 07:26
lba 4 life

wow 23836 posts that's like 4 posts a day for 16 years... Btw the community is still very alive on discord you should drop by and say hi sometime
Old 2018-05-28, 18:34
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
i guess people were super spammy active back in the early days
fix'd

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2018-05-31, 01:11
Party animal

umm, have you actually read the threads from 2001-2002? it's like chat except in forum form.
Old 2018-05-31, 22:26
the legend

yeah it wasn't rich in content, it reflects people's maturity at the time (12~16 year olds), nonetheless they wished to participate in whenever'n'however way they could, and that I call being active.
Old 2018-06-02, 23:26
Neko

When you are 16 you dont think, you just do. Its a different age/mode isnt it?
You just kinda "go" and join a forum, etc. Now nobody has time
Old 2018-06-04, 23:29
Idyllic + whimsical

Looks like I'm the last one around from the top posters, which makes me....

THE KING OF THE MAGICBALL NETWORK
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2018-06-05, 03:32
the legend

Well then Rex, aka Mr. Flamingo man, aka Fireball dude, you oughta post a picture of yourself in the legendary "What do you look like? thread" for us if you want us to accept your crowning. We cannot take a faceless king.

Old 2018-06-05, 11:25
Neko

maybe we can still claim that by posting more sgk, revive this place
Old 2018-06-05, 15:44
Party animal

well SF has facebook ya know
Old 2018-06-05, 17:23
the legend

Quote:
well SF has facebook ya know
well I don't stalk you guys ya know

I wouldn't know his real name. Plus, sshh, it's just a way to stir up this place a little. I liked the 'what do you look like thread', lots of comedy gold there.

Old 2018-06-05, 21:03
Party animal

Oh for some reason I thought we all have each other on facebook. I have quite a few MBN'ers on there so sometimes I don't remember who's friends with who exactly. Although I'm surprised you don't know his name after all this time.
Old 2018-07-06, 23:55
weee

The MBN has officially died 18 years ago. And yet, it didn't.

Though now it really feels like a giant graveyard of the past. It's depressing.

I really miss Darkflame.
Old 2018-07-07, 02:18
the legend

Darkflame will be missed. But this place is not a graveyard. Like I mentioned personally to you, if anything, we should honour all the time and effort he invested in this place and keep it alive.

Old 2018-07-07, 12:56
Party animal

I tried, didn't work. I'll miss all the crazy shit that went on here over the years, but a lot of that had to do with the age we were at the time. Plus youngsters these days don't really join messageboards, which are pretty antiquated tbf.

I suppose all that's left now is to keep in contact through facebook/discord
Old 2018-07-07, 17:44
the legend

I
to
see
MBN
this:

Concerning Darkflame, this place should be a memorial, not a graveyard. Think of it! Given he was the top contributor and top poster around, this place is an unique time capsule of many of his ideas, thoughts, behaviour, interests, etc. If anybody wants to know who Thomas Wrobel was, if you want to know this intriguing, science-fiction and technology fascinated man (and so much more), then this is the only place where you'll find a record of him in so many different angles.

Unlike any autobiography, here you'll find pieces of a mind like a jigsaw puzzle. Of course, it is only Atresica who knew him best, but for everybody else who knew him only in the internet, the fact he posted here thoughout so many years gives anybody a unique approach to knowing the man. Just go take a look at threads like "The Hi-tech thread (Hoverboards,slowmos and Spaceeeeee)" for starters.

--

As for the forum itself, the Magic Ball Network is the largest and most important legacy the game series Little Big Adventure will ever have (possibly). What other community could be as big? what other place would you still find people willing to solve your install problems or hints about ANYTHING in the game? what other place would you find so many resources, fan creations, media, etc.?

If that game made any impact in the world - even though it never became mainstream and a trendy source of "retro gaming nostalgia" like Mario, Sonic, Zelda, or even Pacman did - this impact is recorded here, in public. If anybody wants to know about this game, it's here. We acknowledge it's existence and show our love. The MBN is the legacy that shows the world the respect these games and their creators deserve.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2018-07-07 at 18:01.
Old 2018-07-07, 17:57
the legend

Quote:
Plus youngsters these days don't really join messageboards, which are pretty antiquated tbf.
That is true, but at the same time there isn't anything better that quite replace it.

Whatsapp groups can be messy during heated debates. I suppose discord is the same. Facebook feels like it isn't quite the place to talk about anything seriously or extensively (at most you'll reply a person 2~3 times about something then let go otherwise you'll seem pedant). Instagram is barely a place to talk. What else? hmm. I think Quora is the only significant "replacement" - but it's not a hang out point for youngsters at all.

Forums holds up a pretty unique ability to stir madness and fun conversations. Miss the old days too. But I guess you're right. Forums are slowly dieing out.

Old 2018-07-08, 00:11
weee

I too like forums a lot better than I like Facebook and Whatsapp and all their friends. For starters, forums are not controlled by an evil giant octopus. Actually, that should be enough.

I guess you're right about what it should be like, Kiddo. It's just hard to get over how depressing this is.
Old 2018-07-08, 20:34
Hello

In retrospect, joining a forum that was filled with dudes in their 20's when I was only 12 was probably a bad idea.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2018-07-08, 20:45
the legend

lol, why?

Old 2018-07-08, 21:59
Hello

Shattered my prepubescent innocence
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}