Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

View Poll Results: Does the human race deserve to exist?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 5 18.52%
I don't know 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Old 2003-10-16, 02:46
Lightwing Lightwing is offline
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,963
Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
...

You remind me of one of those debators who doesn't actually pay attention to a discussion but rathers argues for the sake of prooving someone wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 2003-10-16, 03:05
DedalousDiggle DedalousDiggle is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,760
You see, I gave up on arguing with him.
He has his opinions, I have mine.
I'm not changing and I don't think he's going to either.
So... what would be the point of trying to prove his position wrong?
I'll accomplish nothing.
No matter how much he complains that people misquoted him, or didn't read his posts, I paid attention to the discussion.
But I gave up.
Now I'm posting because I'm pissed off at Darkflame's irrationality.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 2003-10-16, 04:26
Lightwing Lightwing is offline
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,963
Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
I dunno man. I was trying to be pretty neutral, so I did notice how certain debators argued some of his statements that he didn't even mention.

And if you agree that everybody has his own point of view, I wouldn't call him irrational. I think each side has given good, solid support.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 2003-10-16, 04:38
DedalousDiggle DedalousDiggle is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,760
I didn't think his argument was irrational, that's why I stopped arguing against it.
It was how he keeps saying that I'm misunderstanding him when, I think, he knows he was wrong but is too proud to admit it.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 2003-10-16, 05:13
Lightwing Lightwing is offline
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,963
Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Not in this case he wasn't.

He was mainly skeptic about all the "Heil Hitler" crap on the thread. Can't blame him. That's a pretty lame way to argue.

Besides, much of his stuff was solid. And its logical in theory. I mean, I'm not saying I totaly disagree with the otherside, but much of the "population preserving" stance is pretty solid. At least in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 2003-10-16, 10:07
Atresica Atresica is offline
What is this place?
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Somewhere far far away
Posts: 12,667
Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
If you allow me

Quote:
Now I'm posting because I'm pissed off at Darkflame's irrationality.
Quote:
I didn't think his argument was irrational, that's why I stopped arguing against it.
Hmmm...

But yes, I agree, again, here with Lightwing, you look one of those typical people who just want to misunderstand the other side.
__________________
*Blub*
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 2003-10-16, 14:58
Medur's Avatar
Medur Medur is offline
LBA fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 2,999
Not taking part in the argument, but I think you all misunderstood DedalousDiggle. He think Darkflame's reaction was irrational, not his argumentation.
I think you're talking about him without knowing him. Anyone who knows the nice dude he's at #LBA knows he wouldn't "want to misunderstand" the other side.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 2003-10-16, 15:11
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 9,492
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Agreed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
there's no room for subtleties, which are so important in personalities such as mine.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 2003-10-16, 18:30
CS2x's Avatar
CS2x CS2x is offline
master of electronica
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: London
Posts: 1,983
Going randomly back to the original point in this thread, I think we are the race that add value and destruction to this planet. Without us, the planet would probably be thriving in terms of ecology and so on-but all animals would be following their set paths, following their instincts, etc. We, I believe, in some abstract sense, add value to this planet because we can appreciate the beautiful equations, foodweebs, scenes, scents, reactions etc. that are actually going on here (on a very high level). I ask the question-without us, would a sunset be "beautiful"? No, it'd be the way the light rays of the sun shine through the clouds in the evening, nothing more, nothing less.

I haven't made my point very clearly, but I'm sure some of you understand...kind of.
__________________
———- —- —— ———— ————
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 2003-10-16, 18:57
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 9,492
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Yes, i understood what you meant.
We indeed created things like 'beauty' and 'value' and all that..
But the other species on this planet still want to live.
Some of them may not know why, but they still do.
Sure, humans made life more than it originally was,
but we still have no right to end other creature's life, or interfere with it, UNLESS it's natural processes, such as feeding.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
there's no room for subtleties, which are so important in personalities such as mine.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 2003-10-16, 19:31
Robrecht's Avatar
Robrecht Robrecht is offline
Magic Level: Red Ball
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 129
I have to apologise for my severe reaction earlier, but I hope that you can understand that when someone starts talking about making the sterilisation of the mentally impaired, it makes a little alarm go off in my head.

Sorta the same way a law to make sexually perverse behaviour would make an alarm go off in a gay man's head.
Because even if the people talking aren't referring to him, the gay man knows that some people would put him under the header of 'sexually perverse'.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 2003-10-16, 20:45
Atresica Atresica is offline
What is this place?
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Somewhere far far away
Posts: 12,667
Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
no apologies nessecary, it's a subject that makes all people emotional.
__________________
*Blub*
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 2003-10-17, 00:01
Panda's Avatar
Panda Panda is offline
Still in a dream...
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,047
But to say we don't derserve to live on this planet? Its nonsense. Its 1 thing destroying it, another not deserving to live upon it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 2003-10-17, 00:29
Lightwing Lightwing is offline
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,963
Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Look, you have to realize. We are just a race....a species. In a way, we are just like any other biological organism in the fact that our origins are the same. We may have different properties and have gained such things as abilities of mass desctruction, but in the end, I don't believe ourselves to be a different form of existance.

That is, I still see humanity as a child of nature. And thus, I do not think that we are gods and that we cannot achieve anything outside the boundries of nature. Yes, we have evolved, but only within. We can destroy ourselves and destroy everything around us. In truth it is bad.

But it isn't anything that Nature cannot handle. Nature has been through far worse things than deforestation, pollusion, mass population and even nuclear wars. We pose of no threat to the ceasure of its existance.

I believe then, that we should not worry the right of our existance because it might be an apocolypse of some sort on nature's behalf. Simply, because we can cause no demise to nature or existance of the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 2003-10-17, 01:19
Boo Boo is offline
dulcet
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 411
Send a message via Yahoo to Boo
I think the world should all just be friends and give each other hugs and stuff.
__________________

the doll masque, laced marionette.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 2003-10-17, 01:45
Lightwing Lightwing is offline
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,963
Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
yeh

lotsa hugs 'n kisses.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 2003-10-17, 07:44
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 9,492
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally posted by Boo
I think the world should all just be friends and give each other hugs and stuff.
You're right, let's start with you, COME 'ERE SWEETCAKES
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
there's no room for subtleties, which are so important in personalities such as mine.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 2003-10-18, 01:16
Panda's Avatar
Panda Panda is offline
Still in a dream...
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,047
Yes! Next time your neighbours dog tries to mutilate you, give it a big bear hug!

Hmm, yeah, Lightwing, I see your point. But you think its only down to nature? Some things nature can't stop, like, a nuclear war. (Lol, a crazy example, but a possible one none the less.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 2003-10-18, 01:27
Robrecht's Avatar
Robrecht Robrecht is offline
Magic Level: Red Ball
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 129
Grow up...
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 2003-10-18, 02:41
Lightwing Lightwing is offline
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,963
Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
You're right Pandemona, nature can't stop a Nuclear War. In fact, there is really nothing that nature can stop. But it can edure. And the very fact that we are here, the fact that we have these powers to create destruction, means that nature is prepared to handle it.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 2003-10-18, 11:22
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 9,492
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Ok, I don't know what the future holds, but i'm quite sure one day we will have the power to blow up the planet.
So maybe the nature of the universe will endure,
but our nice little planet won't endure, as it will be gone.]
Sure, what reason do we have to destroy our planet?
Well if we start living on other planets, and then two planets have a war, that's all that is needed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
there's no room for subtleties, which are so important in personalities such as mine.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 2003-10-18, 16:56
Lightwing Lightwing is offline
.
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,963
Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
I wouldn't be so cliche. If you blow up a planet, all the "ships" in the vesinity will be totaled by the chuncks of the earth.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 2003-10-18, 18:31
Panda's Avatar
Panda Panda is offline
Still in a dream...
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,047
Lmao, dude. The chances of a spacewar in this galaxy is..... next to nil. Our planet can support life, and ours only. The moon will be a space colony, as well as Mars, possibly. Then we have to rely on space travel to help us find allies or enemies in the beyond. Who knows what can be out there. For all we know, there could be a parallel world out there.....

An infinite universe........ its impossible for the mind to digest.

One thing is certain, humanity will never possess the power to explore the universe completely. Ever.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 2003-10-18, 19:19
Reek's Avatar
Reek Reek is offline
Party animal
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: israel
Posts: 9,492
Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally posted by Pandemona

One thing is certain, humanity will never possess the power to explore the universe completely. Ever.
Why?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
there's no room for subtleties, which are so important in personalities such as mine.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 2003-10-18, 19:32
Star's Avatar
Star Star is offline
Somewhat evil
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 973
Send a message via MSN to Star
I voted "I don't know".

I don't think the human kind only brought bad things, though there are a lot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
War in Iraq Rustyw Off topic 435 2009-05-03 14:13
can u actually win the race? haj01 General 20 2006-05-11 16:53
Elf- a race or a title? morshem General 8 2003-09-07 06:23
Whats your Favorite Race of ppl in LBA Lord_of_2_suns General 2 2002-04-29 14:49
Human Skull??? Phoenix General 10 2000-11-14 21:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:10.


News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, the Magicball Network